Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
Pre-registering is free and these games are huge in China, which has a big population but usually isn't really much of a target market for the big AAA console games you might be thinking about.
For reference, Honkai: Star Rail launched to a pre-registration number that was just shy of 33 millions, with 23 million from China and 10 from the rest of the world. Also there's no real "security" against people registering with multiple emails and what have you, or them just manipulating the numbers however they want.
Those 33 million pre-registrations resulted in ~12 million downloads on mobile in its first month though + an unknown amount of PC downloads and they've announced 100 million downloads across all platforms after a bit over 9 months, which is probably a slightly more reliable metric.
These games are big.

Holy Maccaroni !

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I would agree that the game doesn't give a good first impression. It took a 2nd try for me to finally get into it as the first area is kind of an extended tutorial of sorts. It was also my first gacha game, so I was pretty behind on understanding how progression worked and stuff like that. I would have to disagree with the combat completely however. I don't really care about being optimal though, so maybe that has something to do with it. It is very responsive and I never had any issues with controling characters. It is very fun to try charaters and teams out but as mentioned it can take a while for you to really understand what the combat is even all about.

Kuro Games is known for Punishing Gray Raven which makes the combat combination of Bayonetta and Bejeweled work and work extremely well.

I actually don't disagree! I didn't want to use it because it sounds kinda dickish, but for the casual player (which is the vast majority of Genshin players), the combat system works pretty much exactly as intended to get you in and out. It's really only the endgame (what little of it there is) where most of my complaints even appear. I don't even necessarily think being optimal is quite what I need either, it's just that some stuff just doesn't work as well if you don't play in weird ways (like Ningguang's awkward attack animations or Hu Tao's jump cancelling), I'm firmly in the middle of casual player and DMC MAD player.

For me, the big breakdown in the gameplay loop was the Spiral Abyss. It's the only endgame content related to combat, so it's the only thing you'd want/need to gear up for. However, the encounters in the abyss aren't particularly interesting and exemplify some of the biggest issues with the game, largely in their stat checky nature. Floor 13 (or whatever the highest one is) isn't particularly difficult because the encounters are hard, it's because then you're likely to just get stat-checked. So now, you have to go grind a bunch of rng stats and xp and money in order to level up to lower how long it takes to beat the enemies' stats.

Basically, my issue with the game came down to 'the best way to engage with Genshin's combat system is to get to the point where you don't have to engage with it' and that soured me on all of the other gameplay loops. Why am I exploring? To get Primos. What do I need primos for? New characters. What do I use the new characters for? Clearing the same content I already did, but hopefully faster.

Ultimately though, I could probably have dealt with it if going through the story wasn't so obnoxious on its own with the overly long cutscenes that say nothing being so prevalent.

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I do hope it has puzzles and good exploration
It does.

Each area gets its own set of new puzzles and mechanics as you go through the game and they get much more elaborate and interesting imo. The exploring the new areas and hearing the incredible OST is the main reason I love Genshin so much tbh. They've gotten so much better at that compared to the first couple of areas as well, you can really see the improvement as you get to later regions.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
The concern I have with what I have seen from Wuthering Waves is that, yeah, the combat is "more involved" and requires more effort, but since it's tied to the usual daily/weekly grinds, it is going to become exhausting to have to put in that much effort for the standard rewards all the time. But I hope that doesn't end up being the case, and I hope it does well.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The concern I have with what I have seen from Wuthering Waves is that, yeah, the combat is "more involved" and requires more effort, but since it's tied to the usual daily/weekly grinds, it is going to become exhausting to have to put in that much effort for the standard rewards all the time. But I hope that doesn't end up being the case, and I hope it does well.

Yeah I get your concern, also from time to time someone can play dailies on phones and those devices aren't well suited for DMC like gameplays

Last edited:

Chiharu

Apr 10, 2020
White Space
Anyone thinking this game will actually challenge Genshin is delusional...at this point, Genshin is a 4-year-old established game. It's very unlikely that any game will be able to reach its level anytime soon. But hey, maybe I'll end up being wrong. Regardless, I'm sure WW will be successful.
As for myself, I'm already playing enough games, so I don't plan on downloading this

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Anyone thinking this game will actually challenge Genshin is delusional...at this point, Genshin is a 4-year-old established game. It's very unlikely that any game will be able to reach its level anytime soon. But hey, maybe I'll end up being wrong. Regardless, I'm sure WW will be successful.
As for myself, I'm already playing enough games, so I don't plan on downloading this

I mean right now Love and Deepspace, that most on the forum never heard about could really be a challenger in terms of revenue:

GEBwda7agAAbYyt.jpg:large

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I mean right now Love and Deepspace, that most on the forum never heard about could really be a challenger in terms of revenue:

I JUST saw this game in a Not Even Emily video last night and I was genuinely impressed when they showed the combat stuff. The Kpop / East Asian centric and Otome aesthetic and vibe doesn't do anything for me, but it seems like something people that are into that would be well served by. I was half tempted to download it for a second despite me not fitting the demo, tbh.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

Unsure about Weekly grinds, but for dailies it seems you can complete dailies in ~5 minutes. Much like Star Rail being low effort for its dailies.

View: https://youtu.be/MNE4546RPZo?si=gt5z_NCNQ07aa9P8

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

I mean...by what metric are we talking about? Download numbers? You would probably be right. Revenue? Star Rail has been outperforming it for almost a year. Past success is not a guarantor of future success.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Wait is there overworld material collecting to level characters? If so I'm 1000% out. That's one major pain point that made me quit Genshin and move to HSR

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Honkai Impact 3rd is almost a 9 yera old game and it is losing all its intersted year after year. Genshin is still not that old but Honkai Star Rail is just recent and is becoming more and and more succesful each day and even more profitable which started a war between the same hoyo factions and who knows what the future will hold. We can never refute what the future will hold. For now WW seems to generate very much interest cosnidering it's something new. Will they keep that momentum and build upon it and even surpass Genshin? Who knows. This depends on how they support the game and how Hoyo will react to keep their fans and attract new ones (and yes more free premium content is needed to ensure that).

Last edited:

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'll try it since it's free but I expect to drop it after a week or 2. Hopefully it serves as decent competition for Genshin. Aside from combat the game seems inferior in every other aspect. I'm way more interested in ZZZ and Azur Promilia.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I don't know, you missed years of events and rewards, but you can still make it and enjoy the game. Don't waste time anymore. Honkai Impact was out since 2016 and I missed it so I felt it was already late to start it now. Don't waste as much time for Genshin and even Honkai Star Rail.

The world itself is one of the best the genre has to offer, but it does start off slow. Lots of talking, lots of tutorials and the initial area hadn't seen Mihoyo hit their stride yet.

Honestly you are probably better off starting Wuthering in a week than you are starting Genshin now. Gachas and MMOs are usually easier to get into when they start up rather than years down the line.

Like you, I gave Genshin another chance late last year after being all caught up in Star Rail, and found the game meanders a lot and found the game feeling intimidating to get into, especially feeling like I was missing out on events since I was not in the areas or cleared the MSQ prerequisite to do them. And it feels bad when it happens. I got to Inazuma and by the end I just couldn't take the combat, traversal, or Paimon anymore.

That said, if Genshin art style appeals more to you, I cannot fault you for that.

It does.

Each area gets its own set of new puzzles and mechanics as you go through the game and they get much more elaborate and interesting imo. The exploring the new areas and hearing the incredible OST is the main reason I love Genshin so much tbh. They've gotten so much better at that compared to the first couple of areas as well, you can really see the improvement as you get to later regions.

I don't so much mind missing live stuff and events if the world itself is interesting and fun to explore, with puzzles and whatnot. So that sounds pretty good to me. And good to know it starts slow so I can be ready for that. But yeah I know the game is massive now so it feels a bit overwhelming lol. Thanks though!!

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Star Rail makes a lot of money, but this is completely false.

To be fair I am going off publically known info and numbers shared from Mihoyo and trackers. Do you have any data to prove otherwise? From what I see the only months Genshin outperformed Star Rail since Star Rails launch was Fontaine launch month and like...January or Feb this year when Star Rail gave the five star character for free.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I don't so much mind missing live stuff and events if the world itself is interesting and fun to explore, with puzzles and whatnot. So that sounds pretty good to me. And good to know it starts slow so I can be ready for that. But yeah I know the game is massive now so it feels a bit overwhelming lol. Thanks though!!

Yea I never quite agree with folks who say it is too late to hop in, especially as a player who will approach it like a single player game. It is bigger with more varied and original content than like 5 $70 AAA games combined and that is probably being conservative.

I actually don't disagree! I didn't want to use it because it sounds kinda dickish, but for the casual player (which is the vast majority of Genshin players), the combat system works pretty much exactly as intended to get you in and out. It's really only the endgame (what little of it there is) where most of my complaints even appear. I don't even necessarily think being optimal is quite what I need either, it's just that some stuff just doesn't work as well if you don't play in weird ways (like Ningguang's awkward attack animations or Hu Tao's jump cancelling), I'm firmly in the middle of casual player and DMC MAD player.

For me, the big breakdown in the gameplay loop was the Spiral Abyss. It's the only endgame content related to combat, so it's the only thing you'd want/need to gear up for. However, the encounters in the abyss aren't particularly interesting and exemplify some of the biggest issues with the game, largely in their stat checky nature. Floor 13 (or whatever the highest one is) isn't particularly difficult because the encounters are hard, it's because then you're likely to just get stat-checked. So now, you have to go grind a bunch of rng stats and xp and money in order to level up to lower how long it takes to beat the enemies' stats.

Basically, my issue with the game came down to 'the best way to engage with Genshin's combat system is to get to the point where you don't have to engage with it' and that soured me on all of the other gameplay loops. Why am I exploring? To get Primos. What do I need primos for? New characters. What do I use the new characters for? Clearing the same content I already did, but hopefully faster.

Ultimately though, I could probably have dealt with it if going through the story wasn't so obnoxious on its own with the overly long cutscenes that say nothing being so prevalent.

I've not really messed with the Spiral Abyss just because my account isn't up to the standard to get very far into it. I do know that at the later levels of the Abyss its much more about numbers than execution.

Chiharu

Apr 10, 2020
White Space

love and deepspace is an otome and completely different game. It and genshin are not competitors. Sidenote, I actually considered downloading this, but alas, none of the guys appeal to me
Revenue? Star Rail has been outperforming it for almost a year. Past success is not a guarantor of future success.
This is absolutely not true 🤔 not to mention I'm pretty sure hsr has yet to even get close to touching their launch sale numbers, whereas genshin has repeatedly proved that it is capable of beating its highest revenue numbers. I could be wrong, though
Honkai Impact 3rd is almost a 9 yera old game and it is losing all its intersted year after year. Genshin is still not that old but Honkai Star Rail is just recent and is becoming more and and more succesful each day and even more profitable which started a war between the same hoyo factions and who knows what the future will hold. We can never refute what the future will hold. For now WW seems to generate very much interest cosnidering it's something new. Will they keep that momentum and build upon it and even surpass Genshin? Who knows. This depends on how they support the game and how Hoyo will react to keep their fans and attract new ones (and yes more free premium content is needed to ensure that).
HI3 is a completely different game, though, and to be frank, it never reached the insane level of popularity that genshin has

Chiharu

Apr 10, 2020
White Space
Anyway, I don't mean to turn this thread into a fanwar, but people really don't do these games any favors by trying to pit them against genshin or tout them as a genshin killer 🤷‍♀️

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, don't worry about events, when you have like 300 hours worth of story and exploration in front of you.
Since this is a singleplayer experience you do not need to catch up or keep pace with anybody else. If anything it's a big positive that you start at a point where there is no end of content in sight for a long time.
In the first or so year of the game there were regularly dry spells, because they hadn't yet established the pipeline of content that they now have established, where they add a major open world area with story every couple months.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Genshin needs some competition. Still can't believe Honkai Star Rail gets all the QoL updates while Genshin only gets a complete all explorations button in the last 3 years.

Then ZZZ gets a skip cutscene button before the other two games. MHY is a weird company.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair I am going off publically known info and numbers shared from Mihoyo and trackers. Do you have any data to prove otherwise? From what I see the only months Genshin outperformed Star Rail since Star Rails launch was Fontaine launch month and like...January or Feb this year when Star Rail gave the five star character for free.
Mihoyo doesn't share numbers.
I go by the Sensortower estimations that get collected here and a bilibili industry insider making monthly videos here (but that's more work to double check so I don't remember how the numbers shake out there off the top of my head). According to Sensortower though, Genshin made more money from November - February and April too (though they were really close there, lol). Going by the bilibili person, Genshin is also estimated to have a higher ratio of PC and console sales compared to Star Rail, which are unaccounted for.
Like I said, Star Rail is really successful, but this narrative that it's somehow leaving Genshin behind and whatnot is really not it.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Yea I never quite agree with folks who say it is too late to hop in, especially as a player who will approach it like a single player game. It is bigger with more varied and original content than like 5 $70 AAA games combined and that is probably being conservative.

I've not really messed with the Spiral Abyss just because my account isn't up to the standard to get very far into it. I do know that at the later levels of the Abyss its much more about numbers than execution.

Yeah, don't worry about events, when you have like 300 hours worth of story and exploration in front of you.
Since this is a singleplayer experience you do not need to catch up or keep pace with anybody else. If anything it's a big positive that you start at a point where there is no end of content in sight for a long time.
In the first or so year of the game there were regularly dry spells, because they hadn't yet established the pipeline of content that they now have established, where they add a major open world area with story every couple months.

Oh wow that's way more than enough gameplay hours for me. And I figured yeah, the exploration and puzzle and lol the stuff I'm looking for would still be there regardless of when jumped in and sounds like that's the case which is great.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Genshin needs some competition. Still can't believe Honkai Star Rail gets all the QoL updates while Genshin only gets a complete all explorations button in the last 3 years.

Then ZZZ gets a skip cutscene button before the other two games. MHY is a weird company.

Many places Honkai Stra Rail shows greta graphics and animations in cutscenes or gameplay. ZZZ has anime movies tioer quality of animations. It seems the whole code and process and design of Genshin won't allow of such drastic improvements. Glad there are more recent games from hoyo to spice up things and also from other companies. Project Mugen seem to have (from first glance, could be worng though), some kind of RT reflections. i wonder what happened to that hoyo Project X with RT.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

You're probably just not paying enough attention, they trade places regularly depending on how anticipated the current banner is. Here's last month with Genshin on top yet again: https://www.reddit.com/r/gachagaming/comments/1chkh3a/sensor_tower_monthly_revenue_report_apr_2024/

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Anyway, I don't mean to turn this thread into a fanwar, but people really don't do these games any favors by trying to pit them against genshin or tout them as a genshin killer 🤷‍♀️
Wait idk why it said you quoted my post in notifications then I clicked and nothing lol . I don't think I even posted in this thread

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Mihoyo doesn't share numbers.
I go by the Sensortower estimations that get collected here and a bilibili industry insider making monthly videos here (but that's more work to double check so I don't remember how the numbers shake out there off the top of my head). According to Sensortower though, Genshin made more money from November - February and April too (though they were really close there, lol). Going by the bilibili person, Genshin is also estimated to have a higher ratio of PC and console sales compared to Star Rail, which are unaccounted for.
Like I said, Star Rail is really successful, but this narrative that it's somehow leaving Genshin behind and whatnot is really not it.

This thread really isn't about this so I am going to move past this convo after this post, but just going off your own sources, of the 13 reported months Star Rail has been out, it has outperformed Genshin 8 of the 13 months. So my original comment stands, Star Rail for the most part of the year has been outperforming Genshin. I never said Genshin was doing bad or "leaving it behind". They're both successful games. I am just pushing against the narrative that no game can surpass Genshin.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Enjoy the next few weeks of fighting. Probably even months.
J1vdfUD.gif

'Cuz I know I am.

Gacha drama and content has absolutely become my favorite guilty pleasure. People are always on 10 over literally nothing. I think it may be one of the most entertaining gaming communities to observe from the sidelines lol. The last six months of gacha drama from content creators alone has been a trip there could unironically be a reality tv show and I would watch it every single week

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What I fear is the space this gonna occupy. I have no space left in my 128 GB phone and when I learnt that you can't upgrade space for apps and games (the ahrd way after I got a 512 GB memory card in vain). The stupidity (or more like the greed of phone constructors to force buying bigger sized phones by default and thus more expensive) to not allow storage expansion while Steam deeck Switch and other handheld devices allow it, using the pretext that SD cards are not fast enough and may get used and worn out by rewriting data many times is just absurd.

Last edited:

rsfour

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I might check it out. Uninstalled Genshin after like 30 mins.

I'm not really into mobile games. Gave AFK Journey close to two months, but with the recent season drop, the nerfing, and big fuck you to f2p players (and to some spenders), I'm dropping that shit.

Last mobile games I spent some time on were AFK Arena, and MSF. From what I remember, both ended up being a chore to play, and not very f2p friendly.

Also, fuck any games that have stamina shit.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I doubt this will completely take off next to Genshin. I feel like it will fall off after a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Deeper combat and challenging content, I think. Art style is also different together with a post-apocalyptic world.

the only thing I see is that 4 or 5 combos of characters in Genshin (or even Honkai Star Rail) gives a feeling of playing Vergil from DMC but Wuthering Waves pushes thing further by making almost all characters Vergils. hell they even refernced the vergil chait mod in the game https://www.reddit.com/r/WutheringWavesLeaks/comments/1atzoz0/dmc_5_vergil_chair_reference/

Vegil will always stay the blackbeast of many action games they long to copy. XD

Deeper/challenging combat, as beyond said, and less yammering dialogue (hopefully). Wuthering could just as easily devolve into rubbish like Genshin has, imo, always been, but Wuthering is new, I generally like PGR well enough and, if I lose interest in a cutscene, I can just skip it if need be.

Also, if something is messed up in WuWa, Kuro might actually do something about it. The fact that Dehya and Xinyan still exist in the states that they do in Genshin is abhorrent (to me).

The combat is the highlight change for sure. But smoother traversal, better combat, updated graphics, and generally better gacha rates and rewards are the big incentives for a lot of people.

I personally am a big pokemon fan too and the concept of echos makes the concept of "grinding" gear a lot more enjoyable.

I also personally like the character design and art direction more.

No Paimon. Already a huge plus.

Kuro Games is known for Punishing Gray Raven which makes the combat combination of Bayonetta and Bejeweled work and work extremely well.
Interesting, thanks for the answers. Looks like the combat being braindead in Genshin has a lot of people flocking to this. Was also unaware of the Echo/Pokemon system, that does sound fresher too. I'm still turned off by the art style being so derivative Genshin though. At least Hoyo are getting a little out of their comfort zone with ZZZ, I wish other competitors at this level would differentiate a bit more with the presentation too.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Interesting, thanks for the answers. Looks like the combat being braindead in Genshin has a lot of people flocking to this. Was also unaware of the Echo/Pokemon system, that does sound fresher too. I'm still turned off by the art style being so derivative Genshin though. At least Hoyo are getting a little out of their comfort zone with ZZZ, I wish other competitors at this level would differentiate a bit more with the presentation too.

Unfortunately, with Genshin as the leader, it's one of the reasons we need more competition if we want more interesting designs. It's why it's been so annoying that Genshin refuses to utilize a player character with skin tone darker than a light tan and non-existent body diversity, because it has the trickle down effect of other up and comers not doing it. Even ZZZ, which has like 8 different animal / animal adjacent characters doesn't have anybody with actual dark skin as playable. Literally the closest we've gotten is generic npcs in Honkai in Penacony.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Watched a video compilation of all the characters' gameplay last night and honestly the combat looks good but it also looks very uninventive. The ultimates were mostly boring. Yinlin and Lingyang were the only chars that really looked fun and different. Hoyo does a great job of making unique kits for the most part and so far I'm not seeing that with WW. Environments also look very bland and the UI is a straight up copy of Genshin/HSR. I'm looking forward to trying the game next week but I'm not sure this game has much staying power. Feels like it'll be another Tower of Fantasy where it has a lot of hype initially then it drops off.