• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Gable was a comedic heel like character anyways? I feel like I only saw him once before somewhere and he was throwing peace signs in peoples faces or something like that lol

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
First RAW I watched live in like 20+ years, I think I'm back. Honestly not a fan of Cody Rhodes so far. Some of these interactions feel to wholesome, I'm use to the attitude era.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I thought Gable was a comedic heel like character anyways? I feel like I only saw him once before somewhere and he was throwing peace signs in peoples faces or something like that lol
I mean. I guess during that Kevin Owens vs Elias arc from a while back.

But as an individual, he's always been Kurt Angle incarnate and has been putting on bangers. He had a great main event 1 v 1 with Gunther last Fall and then this has been quietly building.

youtu.be

Gunther and Chad Gable Battle for IC Title History | WWE Raw Highlights 9/4/23 | WWE on USA

Can Gunther become the longest reigning Intercontinental Champion of all time? WWE Raw Highlights 9/4/23. Watch WWE Raw Monday nights at 8/7c on USA Network....

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I didnt watch it but it doesnt help that Cody has no feud / oppenent atm, at least until Friday.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Heard about Rhea having to vacate the belt, injuries are always a bummer. Sounds like they are crowning a new champion quick.

Good to see Gable make the heel turn.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
R-Truth out there making Hunter corpse ;_;

View: https://x.com/TheEnemiesPE3/status/1780035285406920979

awesome continuous shot, don't stop cooking new producer guy (also lol at Jey pushing some random dude out of the way)

View: https://x.com/WrestleOps/status/1780061586633130204

"this country Destroyer" lol

View: https://x.com/Fightful/status/1780048011336327426

Fuck it, put the belt on her, and make her go for Dom too, that would be amazing

View: https://x.com/YaOnlyLivvOnce/status/1780081775621935447

Last edited:

TheBee

Oct 18, 2023
Raw Tag Belts - Before
IMG-9754.jpg

World Tag Belts - After
IMG-9753.webp

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Fuck it, put the belt on her, and make her go for Dom too, that would be amazing

Honestly, if they're going to go for Liv as a long term bandaid, it's what they have to do I think. Turn Dom into her manager somehow, so that she can have outside interference reasons to be able to win so much without hurting the division.

Talk about regression though, that draft coming in clutch!

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Wish they'd gone for more of the North American Championship style for the belt instead of putting that damn fat WWE logo in the middle of it. It also makes the Women's World Title and WHC look a lot worse than they would without it IMO.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Watching Takeover Brooklyn 1 (the first one outside fullsail or the PC or whatever it was) and the first match is Tyler Breeze vs... Jushin Thunder Liger lolwhut. I did not remember that at all.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Honestly, if they're going to go for Liv as a long term bandaid, it's what they have to do I think. Turn Dom into her manager somehow, so that she can have outside interference reasons to be able to win so much without hurting the division.

Talk about regression though, that draft coming in clutch!
The regression will still be a thing even with the draft, because even accounting for potential fuckery, Liv is not a good promo or good in ring worker at all. I think the best comparison I saw was WWE is basically going from a Ferrari to a Ford Focus (with a broken light and fender missing) with this Rhea -> Liv stuff in terms of prestige. It doesn't help that this injury basically makes it so the women's division on RAW is going to suck for the next year or so because you damn well better believe next year's Mania is going to end up being Liv/Rhea for the title, if Rhea is out long enough. And Rhea will likely get another brutally long reign afterwards as well. Smackdown isn't much better because the title scene after Bayley is probably just going to be Jade and Bianca clashing for awhile as well.

They desperately need midcard titles for the women now, or at least something to reward their workhorse women. Because both main title pictures for the women are gonna suck otherwise. And if I were a woman, I wouldn't be in a rush to sign with WWE if I knew I was just going to get lost in the shuffle on RAW or Smackdown because WWE refuses to do any substantial non-title women's feuds if they aren't a horsewoman, on top of WWE's sheer refusal to introduce a midcard title for the women on the main roster.

Last edited:

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
The regression will still be a thing even with the draft, because even accounting for potential fuckery, Liv is not a good promo or good in ring worker at all. I think the best comparison I saw was WWE is basically going from a Ferrari to a Ford Focus (with a broken light and fender missing) with this Rhea -> Liv stuff in terms of prestige. It doesn't help that this injury basically makes it so the women's division on RAW is going to suck for the next year or so because you damn well better believe next year's Mania is going to end up being Liv/Rhea for the title, if Rhea is out long enough. And Rhea will likely get another brutally long reign afterwards as well. Smackdown isn't much better because the title scene after Bayley is probably just going to be Jade and Bianca clashing for awhile as well.

They desperately need midcard titles for the women now, or at least something to reward their workhorse women. Because both main title pictures for the women are gonna suck otherwise. And if I were a woman, I wouldn't be in a rush to sign with WWE if I knew I was just going to get lost in the shuffle on RAW or Smackdown because WWE refuses to do any substantial non-title women's feuds if they aren't a horsewoman, on top of WWE's sheer refusal to introduce a midcard title for the women on the main roster.

Your comparison made me choke on my coffee, it's so spot on it hurts.

Rustyspider13

Nov 16, 2023
Sami, you have to run away after winning title matches man, you get jumped by your friends too often 😅. Magnificent camera work for Sami's entrance. I had chills watching it, Sami must've felt electricity running through his veins. The match itself was good but not on Gunther-Gable level. I assume they are saving their best work for when heel Gable eventually wins it. I need some character change now. The 'shoosh' needs to go from teacher to footballer quieting the away crowd, the 'thank you' needs to go from cheerleader to sanctimonious prick. I'm ready for wrestling machine Gable.

I think they are crowning a new Women's champ too quickly. A tournament culminating in backlash would be much better. Maybe they'll arrange the entirety of Raw with some women wrestling multiple matches for it, I don't know. But it seems like they're just gonna do a Nia v Liv match and be done with it. It feels rushed when you are picking Cody's contender using two weeks but are picking the top women's champion in one. At least Liv is playing into it. Her last run was a disaster, maybe this time will be different with potential Dominic level heat.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
He's been champ for 1 week.

I think that says more about you than Cody.

I'm mostly being facetious. But my main point is I hope they do something soon because I'm not sure how much more of Cody coming out talking nice about everyone and then talking about the Rock a bit is going to last. Dad jokes just didn't help lol

DiegoPaulino

Aug 24, 2023

The other problem is that, they way Rhea run through the division, we don't have any women who you can point out as a next in line and give that feel of champion.

At this point and with the Draft really close I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the 'Call Angle to SD to be the next champion after batista injury' card and call Iyo or Bianca to this tournament next week.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
The other problem is that, they way Rhea run through the division, we don't have any women who you can point out as a next in line and give that feel of champion.

At this point and with the Draft really close I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the 'Call Angle to SD to be the next champion after batista injury' card and call Iyo or Bianca to this tournament next week.
Bianca is going after the tag titles with Jade, and there's pretty much zero chance Iyo gets the Women's World Title, considering how heavily they've deemphasized her since losing the title, and the overwhelmingly negative fan perception of Iyo. Where WWE fucked up her Smackdown Women's Title run so badly that people think she's an awful character now, to the point of where I don't think she's going to sniff singles gold again.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

One of the key issues here is that they kind of painted themselves into a corner. Rhea has been so dominant for so long and now she's on the bench without having given a strong rub to someone else. And to make things worse, she got injured during a backstage brawl with a known assailant. Obviously Liv was meant to be a stop gap opponent for Backlash, but given how it happened they were pretty much forced to make her be the one that hurt Rhea in kayfabe.

So Liv Morgan is the woman that put your most dominant women's champion of all time on the shelf, they're kind of forced to move forward with her it feels like?

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
One of the key issues here is that they kind of painted themselves into a corner. Rhea has been so dominant for so long and now she's on the bench without having given a strong rub to someone else. And to make things worse, she got injured during a backstage brawl with a known assailant. Obviously Liv was meant to be a stop gap opponent for Backlash, but given how it happened they were pretty much forced to make her be the one that hurt Rhea in kayfabe.

So Liv Morgan is the woman that put your most dominant women's champion of all time on the shelf, they're kind of forced to move forward with her it feels like?
Yup. And the problem with that is that while Liv absolutely has some fan support, she's also not someone who can carry a division. Her matches are consistently some of the weakest on the card, and her character work is complete shit. People are forgetting just how unbelievably cold the "Liv Morgan Revenge Tour" was before this incident. And even then it may end up cooling off again.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
The low ring side camera with the change in depth of field during matches has been well utilized as well. They don't seem to be overusing it which makes it stand out more.

DiegoPaulino

Aug 24, 2023
Yup. And the problem with that is that while Liv absolutely has some fan support, she's also not someone who can carry a division. Her matches are consistently some of the weakest on the card, and her character work is complete shit. People are forgetting just how unbelievably cold the "Liv Morgan Revenge Tour" was before this incident. And even then it may end up cooling off again.

When a wrestler is in the verge of being a champion but doesn't have that 'IT' factor at that time to carry a division there's only one option left... Put it in a new faction! Watch Hunter make Liv champion with Chelsea and Piper help and make a new stable out of it.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Saw the transition from Jey to Sami's entrance on social media and that was so good. Color me impressed with the new visual direction and presentation.

Kingdom Key

Aug 4, 2021
They need to bring Io over to Raw and save us.

We've just been put through 246 days of Iyo as champion and it was bad. She had no memorable matches or feuds even though she fought the best of the best (Asuka, Charlotte, Bianca, Bayley). The language barrier works in NXT but not on the main roster where promos matter. At least Asuka has a ton of charisma to bridge most of it. I feel like her being stuck in Damage CTRL doesn't help. Iyo needs a new angle and/or manager before they give her another belt.

They really need to draft half the Smackdown roster to Raw because there is no top tier talent left in the women's division with Becky and Rhea gone. I'd say Nia could get a short transitional reign because her current run has been great but back-to-back losses to Becky and Rhea hurt her momentum.

I guess they're giving it to Liv but I feel like that ship has sailed. I do feel bad for Liv because she was over at some point, but the Rousey angle killed all of it.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
We've just been put through 246 days of Iyo as champion and it was bad. She had no memorable matches or feuds even though she fought the best of the best (Asuka, Charlotte, Bianca, Bayley). The language barrier works in NXT but not on the main roster where promos matter. She doesn't have any charisma like Asuka to bridge it either.

They really need to draft half the Smackdown roster to Raw because there is no top tier talent left in the women's division with Becky and Rhea gone. I'd say Nia could get a short transitional reign because her current run has been great but back-to-back losses to Becky and Rhea hurt her momentum.
Iyo had no memorable matches or feuds because all of her actual major feuds were largely against Bianca, who never makes anyone else look good, because she always has to get her shit in, even if it makes no sense and makes others look terrible. Look at Iyo in NXT, she was over as hell, and a huge draw for the show. And her segments do incredibly well on the main roster viewership wise as well. As for charisma, she's better as a loner than in a stable. Look at how they presented her with that promo segment she did two weeks before Mania. If they present her as a badass worldbeater (like they did in NXT) instead of a chickenshit heel, she would be one of WWE's most over stars. And Charlotte rarely has good matches these days, because she puts forth only the bare minimum unless she's either pissed at management and wants to prove them wrong, or is going over.

Meanwhile Liv can't cut a single promo without sounding completely inauthentic, and has pretty much no charisma at all, on top of being pretty fucking below average in the ring despite wrestling for so long. The fact that you are implying Iyo has no charisma and her reign was bad was her fault is fucking laughable, when she's shown what she can do in NXT and literally any other promotion. Meanwhile Liv Morgan has shown why she SHOULDN'T be champion, for the better part of like four or five years at this point.

Kingdom Key

Aug 4, 2021
Iyo had no memorable matches or feuds because all of them were largely against Bianca, who never makes anyone else look good, because she always has to get her shit in, even if it makes no sense and makes others look terrible. Look at Iyo in NXT, she was over like rover, and a huge draw for the show. And her segments do incredibly well on the main roster viewership wise as well. As for charisma, she's better as a loner than in a stable. Look at how they presented her with that promo segment she did two weeks before Mania.

Meanwhile Liv can't cut a single promo without sounding completely inauthentic, and has pretty much no charisma at all, on top of being pretty fucking below average in the ring despite wrestling for so long. The fact that you are implying Iyo has no charisma and her reign was bad was her fault is fucking laughable, when she's shown what she can do in NXT and literally any other promotion. Meanwhile Liv Morgan has shown why she SHOULDN'T be champion.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. Liv should be nowhere near that title either.

And I agree Iyo should at the very least go back to her NXT ways. Damage CTRL disbanding would be better for everyone in that faction. ESPECIALLY Asuka who needs to be liberated from the tag division asap. I love Kairi but Asuka's booking has been dogshit since Kabuki Warriors reunited.