• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to echo the Storm scenes were very well done. I'm glad this isn't just the Wolverine show and that the other members get to have their time in the spotlight. Looking forward to Ororo reuniting with the rest of the team for the finale.

(Did Storm meet Nightcrawler in the old series? I honestly can't remember.)

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
yeah now that i think of it, Wolverine hasn't done anything so far since episode 1 lol. he's just kinda "been there" this whole time, which i kinda like because it gives other members much needed time to shine.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see a reply to my question earlier

In the original show finale they say Xavier has to stay with the Sh'iar to not die from his illness, they didn't say he'd only have to stay for a year so are they going to explain this in '97? I'm sure they can just say whatever to retcon that but it does take away a lot of the impact of the finale and the first few episodes of '97.

Not a big deal but kind of surprising

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The show is not subtle in sharing its message against colonialism (neither were MCU films like Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok). I appreciate that there is more to these stories than "look at our characters do cool shit" (although that's definitely there too).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

In the original show finale they say Xavier has to stay with the Sh'iar to not die from his illness, they didn't say he'd only have to stay for a year so are they going to explain this in '97? I'm sure they can just say whatever to retcon that but it does take away a lot of the impact of the finale and the first few episodes of '97.

This episode basically makes the argument that the Shi'ar's healing fixed him. Though at the same time, it also seems clear that whatever they did, especially the Shi'ar containment suit he's in, isn't perfect. So he may very well be risking death by returning to Earth, and we just haven't seen that shoe drop yet.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Understandable, the '97 crew has been cooking since Day 0.

Though speaking of live-action, I have a sinking suspicion that we're gonna see Maria Rambeau as Binary in this series.

I have my doubts. We saw Carol in the old show. And I think they'll probably follow up on that than say someone else is Binary.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

There's not much to explain really. He left for an indefinite amount of time at the end of the OG series. We didn't know if it was for months or years or forever.

This show reveals Xavier has been mostly healed, but hasn't been in contact with the X-Men and was considering leaving Earth permanently.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think United They Stand was ever meant to be set in the same universe as Spider-man and X-men. It doesnt even have Robert Hays as Iron Man despite him playing Iron Man in three different series and the Marvel Capcom fighters.

Deadly Genesis where its revealed that the All New X-men where a backup team to a team that died on Krakoa with Darwin and Vulcan being the only survivors and War of Kings where Vulcan dethrones Lilandra and takes over the Shi'ar to start a war with both the Kree, and Inhumans.
Also - Vulcan is a MAJOR pain in the ass.

Axumite

Nov 19, 2017
Gettin' real sick of Mr. Sinister's shit.

I am too but I respect the level of villainy he's on.

The man kidnapped a baby and IMMEDIATELY threw it in a tube of evil juice to alter its DNA and give it an incurable (for the time) techno-virus, then days later orchestrated a massacre/genocide of possibly millions in a sovereign nation. He's fucking despicable but you gotta give him props for living up to the name.

Sep 6, 2020
latest

I've never consumed any media with Onslaught but you can't convince me this isn't just Super Shredder

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
I found the "pet" comment in this episode between Lilandra and Professor X so funny lol. I just can't for the life of me picture Xavier doing that stuff lol.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
They've certainly tried! In the original series, they blew him to bits, scattered the pieces all over the Savage Land, and he still regenerated.
He's got that celestial Apocalypse stuff. They don't ever really die. I only found out recently that he's not even a mutant. He's just a super evil scientist that was so evil that he got Apocalypse to do him a favor and make him into an eternal vampire-looking guy without all the vampire drawbacks.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Am I wrong to think that Forge took care of The Adversary's physical body and that Storm was left to deal with its spirit? Or maybe what Storm dealt with in the end was her own fears and doubts, which manifested as The Adversary in her mind?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong to think that Forge took care of The Adversary's physical body and that Storm was left to deal with its spirit? Or maybe what Storm dealt with in the end was her own fears and doubts, which manifested as The Adversary in her mind?

The choice to use Storm's voice actor for The Adversary is likely a clue. It was very much a manifestation of her inner emotional struggle. Maybe even both of their struggles.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
The choice to use Storm's voice actor for The Adversary is likely a clue. It was very much a manifestation of her inner emotional struggle. Maybe even both of their struggles.

That's what I thought at first, and Storm's last few lines with Forge would certainly indicate that. But also, Forge didn't imagine that bite on his shoulder.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I think what Spider-verse and this show have highlighted is what Ive been most annoyed with with the rise of the MCU. Everything had to stay in the MCU. They even made what if only about the MCU. It's so creatively limiting. One of the beauties of comics is seeing different adaptations of the material and when everything has to stay on the line you lose a lot of fun creative possibilities.

So I'm super happy to see Disney greenlit this show and super happy it's as great as it's been. I really hope it opens the doors for more non MCU cannon shows/adaptions.

Like it's just great to see Storm in her original comic outfit. Or Shiar and Kree just fully lean into their comic bookness. Great stuff

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
That's what I thought at first, and Storm's last few lines with Forge would certainly indicate that. But also, Forge didn't imagine that bite on his shoulder.
The Adversary is a real being that prays upon people's weaknesses. They say so themselves in the episode. They prayed upon Forge's doubts about his motivations and Storm's doubts about her own abilities as a leader and as a valuable member of the team.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
What do we think Sinister's motivation for Genosha is?

He's a genetic purist. He sees most mutants as mongrels who pollute the gene pool for future mutant ascendancy of the strong bloodlines.

He's got that celestial Apocalypse stuff. They don't ever really die. I only found out recently that he's not even a mutant. He's just a super evil scientist that was so evil that he got Apocalypse to do him a favor and make him into an eternal vampire-looking guy without all the vampire drawbacks.

In the cartoon he did it himself by experimenting on people with minor mutations in the 1800s.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This episode is somewhat of a downer especially compared to the last one. Storm coming back with that look is great. I took the adversary as her fears, but Forge did get bitten on his shoulder.

Not as thrilled with Charles coming back, but its understandable.

Not seeing Gambit's intro stung for real.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
He's a genetic purist. He sees most mutants as mongrels who pollute the gene pool for future mutant ascendancy of the strong bloodlines.

In the cartoon he did it himself by experimenting on people with minor mutations in the 1800s.
I forgot about that part.
I wonder if Sinister ends up creating Bastion to further sow dissent between humans and mutants.

I put this in spoilers because Bastion being a sentinel might not be super obvious at first.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't say it was imaginary, but a manifestation.

The poison killing Forge was his own guilt. Storm's lack of power was her own doubt.

It was a shared experience, so it wasn't all in their head, but I don't think we're meant to interpret everything that happened as literal.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This episode is somewhat of a downer especially compared to the last one. Storm coming back with that look is great. I took the adversary as her fears, but Forge did get bitten on his shoulder.

Not as thrilled with Charles coming back, but its understandable.

Not seeing Gambit's intro stung for real.

Didn't see Mags either.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
I wonder if Apocalypse will be involved with Sinister in some way or at the very least have a short appearance this season

Not that this show has to be committed to perfect continuity with its predecessor, but the last/only time we saw Deathbird in the original series, she was busted for an attempted coup. Not sure why she's back to being a senior court official.

Xavier using the "said the quiet part out loud" phrase confirms that he (and presumably the other X-Men) are avid viewers of classic 1990s The Simpsons.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
On reflection, my biggest takeaway from this episode is that Charles seeing Gambit as the big representation of all the destruction happening in Genosha instead of Magneto, especially when Magnus by name is the only person from Earth he directly mentioned in the episode and the person he has the longest running relationship with, is all the confirmation I need that Magneto is definitely still alive and will be using his "death" as cover for some sort of covert work.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
The show is not subtle in sharing its message against colonialism (neither were MCU films like Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok). I appreciate that there is more to these stories than "look at our characters do cool shit" (although that's definitely there too).

Is Disney even aware that their 90's throwback Marvel superhero cartoon is perhaps one of the most overtly political shows on television right now?!?!

(No one tell them, please!)