• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Old school Ororo made me happy. Glad Charles told the Shi'ar to go fuck themselves. Forgot that Gladiator was such a a beast.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
do y'all suppose the rest of the shi'ar were like veep-nervous-laughing-what-the-fuck-dot-gif when they were stuck inside charles's nightmare vision

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
tbh i was more talking about the Face Melting part of the vision, i personally feel like i'd have some follow up questions for the empress after finding out her fiance's brain is prone to Face Melting Nightmares

OP
OP
GreenMamba

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
This was a great episode. Obviously not the showstopper that the previous episode was but the payoff with Storm and the Xavier/Lilandra story was just great. The way they interwove the two stories was really well done, especially how Xavier gives the Shi'ar a lesson on the perils of colonialism.

That said it did make me retroactively wish that Lifedeath Part 1 was a full episode though. But combined I think both halves of Storm's story add up to a full episode so I think it's fine. Storm suddenly regrowing hair was weird but seeing her in her original costume after she gets her powers back was incredible. Knew I was right about the Adversary holding her back. I don't remember too many depictions of regular-ass magic in the original series so it was interesting that Forge's magic was clearly designed to look like Doctor Strange's in the MCU.

I legitimately did not expect to see Xavier back in this season but I do agree with some speculation that this would be a perfect way to segue into an Onslaught adaptation in the second season. I kind of wonder how the world at large would see him returning, humans and mutants alike--so much had been made of him dying, arrests for assassination and giant statues in Genosha.

OP
OP
GreenMamba

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was weird that they added Nightcrawler to the intro despite him not formally joining in the previous episode and not being in this one. But with Storm, Bishop, Magneto, and Gambit now all removed they maybe needed to fill some time, lol.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What another iconic episode. The space soap opera drama, Lilandra being the dom she is to Charles. Deathbird calling earth and entire Milky Way the GHETTO, Charles schooling the Shi-ar and calling them out for the warmongering colonizers that they are. Storms pay off and glorious return, getting rid of that tired ass mohawk and giving her those full luscious hair and her giant sized x-men classic outfit, with the Omega Crown. Gobbled this all up. X-men fans have been eating so good with this show, which is perfect timing considering how some people are feeling with how the Krakoa era is wrapping up right now

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Logan cooks hit steaks on a charcoal grill.

"Omega level flavor detected."

94mm86rye8t91.jpg

I don't care how good you say those things are, if he's stabbing it with the claws that were just inside of his wrists a second ago, I'm not eating it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was weird that they added Nightcrawler to the intro despite him not formally joining in the previous episode and not being in this one. But with Storm, Bishop, Magneto, and Gambit now all removed they maybe needed to fill some time, lol.

I keep expecting Bishop to return at some point this season. He's felt completely underutilized in this show up to this point.

Of course, now we also need Colossus to officially join the team.

OP
OP
GreenMamba

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
eba4a20cfc2eab7b0dedcd3d8d86e0dfe51ad24e.pnj

Xavier literally schooling the Shi'ar in the Astral Plane about the horrors of their colonialism is honestly the coolest Xavier's ever been. Xavier doesn't normally get to be the guy who sits people down and force them to recognize his really powerful abilities.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Stop talking about MCU shit, movies and whatever else. We finally have good X-Men content again, let's just let this rock, alright? After Krakoa shitting up the books and years of Fox slop, we're finally getting the good shit again and I don't want to rock the boat. Let this baby run for the next decade unimpeded. I don't need anything else.
94mm86rye8t91.jpg

I don't care how good you say those things are, if he's stabbing it with the claws that were just inside of his wrists a second ago, I'm not eating it.
Sanitation problems aside, ain't a chance in hell Logan is making a medium steak. I can't decide if he'd char the hell out of it (he strikes me as a guy who goes crazy for some gristle) or if he'd go for a rare char (you know he's down with a bloody, fatty piece of meat) but I just know he isn't going to make it to my liking regardless.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
907227.jpg

Between the Vulcan and Darwin cameos, I think they're going there.
Which is why I think Nova will be the villain next season. She can usher in the New X-Men era of the X-Men fighting the Shi'ar, the return of the Phoenix Force, Deadly Genesis, and Magneto trying to destroy New York as all one big connected arc.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Sanitation problems aside, ain't a chance in hell Logan is making a medium steak. I can't decide if he'd char the hell out of it (he strikes me as a guy who goes crazy for some gristle) or if he'd go for a rare char (you know he's down with a bloody, fatty piece of meat) but I just know he isn't going to make it to my liking regardless.

I def feel like he'd just go rare sometimes when he's lazy, what's it gonna do, kill him? lol.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow I didn't notice this until my 3rd rewatch. Cold. Love the ninja run though.

eI9CH5G.jpeg
VwqQRkG.jpeg

I also just realized they have a perfect way to bring back Gambit that ties into the old show. During the Dark Phoenix Saga the X-Men, including Gambit, gave up portions of their life force to revive Jean. The Phoenix warned them, "Your own flames would be diminished by the amount sundered." Even as a kid I always thought that would come into play one day. They could have Jean (or Maddie) finally do a heroic sacrifice that sticks by returning the life force when the X-Men need it most. Then again, if they use Maddie they'd have to bring her back through time travel, which would probably entail bringing Gambit back anyway.

In any case, Phoenix seems integral to the story they're telling since they've mentioned it repeatedly and seem intent on re-animating all of "The Fate of the Phoenix" in the opening titles.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Cool episode again!

- It's funny how folks are reacting to Xavier returning; in the original series when it ended, they left Charles's future purposely open; Shi'ar science could help him, but there was a chance for him that he could never return.

- But happy to see him return. I have always had conflicting thoughts about him cause Chuck did some questionable stuff; in the Animated series he has always been the best version of himself. Him schooling the Shi'ar is awesome and him returning to earth is cool.

- Gladiator being an absolute chad as per usual.

- Storm part of the episode is good too. I know people love the mohawk look (me as well!) but I have to admit that the classic look is always great to see.

- Adapting the E for Extinction storyline is awesome, Mr Sinister is deliciously evil and I know some won't like it. Personally it's Saturday cartoon evil cranked up to eleven

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Good episode. It's because it's a cartoon of course but they rush through some plot points blazingly fast lol. Xavier's stuff in here could have been multiple episodes tbh. I don't mind it though but I can be a bit jarring

New storm look is great. Her flight scene when she got her powers back reminded me a lot of the scene in Man of Steel when Superman flies for the first time

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Good episode. It's because it's a cartoon of course but they rush through some plot points blazingly fast lol. Xavier's stuff in here could have been multiple episodes tbh. I don't mind it though but I can be a bit jarring

New storm look is great. Her flight scene when she got her powers back reminded me a lot of the scene in Man of Steel when Superman flies for the first time
Former showrunner said it was a tribute to Man of Steel.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Adapting the E for Extinction storyline is awesome, Mr Sinister is deliciously evil and I know some won't like it. Personally it's Saturday cartoon evil cranked up to eleven
I prefer when Sinister is this cooky flamboyant evil dude like he was in Krakoa rather than the basic laughing in the shadows villain. I really don't see the X-Men 97 Sinister obsessing about capes.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Underdiscussed element of the episode - Scott's interview where he sounded identical to Magneto.

I just finished Episode 5 and had to pop into the thread to read what folks thought, and, yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing when that moment happened lol

I hope we eventually get an X-men series, it just works so much better for a team this big.

I think it'd be cool if we got both. I agree that, overall, the X-Men are such a huge group (in general, mutants themselves are a massive population, and obviously, not all of them will become X-Men), so I think that they could definitely do X-Men films, focusing on a core cast of characters (ie, Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean, Rogue, Storm, etc, etc), and then also do a series, where they can focus on other team members, as well as go deeper into the general themes of mutants and non-mutants with more intimate stories that paint a bigger picture than what a 2.5 hour movie can cover.

It's one of those instances where Marvel can have their cake and eat it to by having a film X-Men franchise, and a multi-season D+ series. You could even potentially cross over by having some of the movie characters show up in the show, and vice versa for the show characters showing up in a movie at some point.

As you said, the team itself is so big, and the impact mutants have across the entire Marvel universe in the comics, that it'd be a great move to do both. Also because I believe that once the X-Men show up, they will kind of become the dominant face of the MCU going forward. Avengers had, and will have by the time the X-Men show up, like, a 15 year run in film and television, and as the key players in those roles step down from playing them, the X-Men (and Fantastic Four), are a great way to keep the MCU going for another 15+ years and keep the fanbase excited.

Ok, now on to watching Episode 6 before I head to bed lol

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
This show is going waaaaay too fast.

It was understandable to blitz through everything when the show was mainly targeted at kids but they need to let things breathe more.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
That Gladiator dude is kind of broken, no? I remember him from the OG show tossing Juggernaut around like a plastic action figure, and in this latest episode again him throwing hands unfazed, anybody on earth can go toe to toe with that guy?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That Gladiator dude is kind of broken, no? I remember him from the OG show tossing Juggernaut around like a plastic action figure, and in this latest episode again him throwing hands unfazed, anybody on earth can go toe to toe with that guy?

Gladiator is Superman. Pretty much straight-up, he's Superman. Almost 1 to 1 powerset and power scale, his only weakness is that his powers scale up and down based on how confident he is in what he's doing. Telepaths, manipulators and illusionists are pretty good against him because they can fuck with his convictions.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Not a big marvel person but I think this show is cool. Has a kinda creative freedom running through it that feels missing from a lot of the other Disney stuff recently, where it feels more like franchise building blocks

Kinda has all the ingredients that have been missing in comic adaptations. Hope they get to do more seasons, but with more episodes cause it feels a bit too rushed here (having no knowledge of the originals, it feels like I'm getting the cliffnotes at times)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gladiator is Superman. Pretty much straight-up, he's Superman. Almost 1 to 1 powerset and power scale, his only weakness is that his powers scale up and down based on how confident he is in what he's doing. Telepaths, manipulators and illusionists are pretty good against him because they can fuck with his convictions.

The Shi'ar Imperial Guard as a whole are pretty much the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
eba4a20cfc2eab7b0dedcd3d8d86e0dfe51ad24e.pnj

Xavier literally schooling the Shi'ar in the Astral Plane about the horrors of their colonialism is honestly the coolest Xavier's ever been. Xavier doesn't normally get to be the guy who sits people down and force them to recognize his really powerful abilities.

This was great. Xavier never gets to cut loose because he has to be dad to the X-Men and humanity would lose it if he did something like this, but with these space goobers...it's school time.

This almost felt more like McAvoy Xavier more than it did Stewart Xavier, which is nice to see.

Last edited:

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Cool episode, fun to see Ronan, Gladiator and some of the cosmic characters.
A lot of fun for Marvel fans, but yeah the show is just whipping through plots so fast, it all feels a little disjointed to me.
Wouldn't mind if they slowed the pace a bit and weaved the plots together better.