• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's already the best X-Men adaptation. Hands down. It clears Logan by a bit and everything else by a lot.

It's not the best X-Men media, though. There are too many great X-Men comics, so many it's unfair to compare, and X-Men vs. Street Fighter exists.
I personally consider the apex of X-Men to be Claremont's whole run from the mid-seventies to the nineties, House of X, E is for Extinction, all the usual hits, really, and of course the run of 90s and early 2000s games.

For me, in only seven thirty-minute episodes, they've managed to hit nearly every beat of what makes X-Men so special and powerful. They just fucking get it, man. The bigger story might not be Age of Apocalypse or Days of Future Past-level, but the world, the characters, the art, the writing, it's all perfect. It's everything I love about X-Men distilled into one of the most exciting, gorgeous and politically conscious shows on television.

I just can't gush about this show enough.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
It's already the best X-Men adaptation. Hands down. It clears Logan by a bit and everything else by a lot.

It's not the best X-Men media, though. There are too many great X-Men comics, so many it's unfair to compare, and X-Men vs. Street Fighter exists.

As a Marvel comics expert, I am prepared to second the proposal that this is the best X-Men media. Let's see how it wraps, but we can start talking

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
As a Marvel comics expert, I am prepared to second the proposal that this is the best X-Men media. Let's see how it wraps, but we can start talking

If you read the comics then you know the handling of Lifedeath alone doesn't compare.

This adaptation is a miracle, the best thing Marvel Studios has done, but it's not God Loves, Man Kills.

We can celebrate the show, and Bast knows I have been, but let's not let recency make us say things we'll be embarrassed about later haha

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I assume they're referring to his dolls.

1*c4KPKRDa7ncBSGC4iw7gzw.jpeg

Yeah. For awhile there was a bunch of smaller nightcrawlers running around lol. Pretty sure they were demons that took his likeness.
latest

snackshack

Oct 30, 2017
Shit is getting crazy. I have no idea who that new villain is.

Intro continues to hit hard af, I love that theme.

Buttons

Oct 31, 2017
What an amazing episode, I absolutely loved it. And as someone who really loved Jean in the original series but always disappointed by how weak she was in combat (ignoring the phoenix saga), seeing her flying around and tossing an entire building was a sight to behold. :D

Rogue was also amazing this episode, loved it.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it's crazy how popular '97 is becoming to the extent where peeps are getting mad about spoilers and planning their days around new episodes like it's Game of Thrones or The Last of Us. People treat it like it's a live-action show. I never imagined anything like this. 🙌😭
vM0aVX.gif

They already fired him. Dude gonna win an Emmy and be unemployed for undisclosed reasons. It's wild.
What I expected: to relive my childhood.
What I didn't expect: it's name being said at the Emmys.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
What I expected: to relive my childhood.
What I didn't expect: it's name being said at the Emmys.

Same. Looking at the recent winners of the Primetime Outstanding Animated Program, "Remember It" has it in the bag.

Unless the rest of 2024 has something transcendent in store, but I don't see that happening. 2023 went to the Simpsons. 2022 went to Arcane. 2021 went to Primal. 2020 went to Rick and Morty.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Same. Looking at the recent winners of the Primetime Outstanding Animated Program, "Remember It" has it in the bag.

Unless the rest of 2024 has something transcendent in store, but I don't see that happening. 2023 went to the Simpsons. 2022 went to Arcane. 2021 went to Primal. 2020 went to Rick and Morty.

Arcane Season 2 releases November this year.

Remember It will prolly still get it tho, I hope!

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Was there any reason even speculated as to why Beau De Mayo got fired? Seems like yet another own goal from Disney

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
This is what happens when you give the X-Men to people whose lived experience is directly connected to the metaphor that the mutants represent.
This.
I say this as a straight white man: if you're going to portray characters that deal with prejudice and oppression, you should probably have people in the writers room who have experienced it themselves.
I never dreamed this show would be this good. It goes hard, and I'm here for it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know nobody knows why he was fired besides him and Disney. Kinda wish we did cuz I'm almost tired of seeing his tweets when he "could" have been fired for awful behavior.

I'm personally not going to lose sleep over tweets being shared, or retroactively be embarrassed for being interested in what he had to say if something awful does come out. If that does happen, then yea, don't need to see his tweets anymore, but until that actually happens I'm not going to get stressed over it

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I felt that display of grief from Rogue. Like that shit broke her, and it was such a a realistic portrayal of how tragic events can change people.

Also, that stuff with Beast and the reporter. Still some deep down intolerance in her heart and Hank wasn't having it.

And Roberto coming out to his mom is exactly how my sister came out with me next to her. Went just about the same way too.

It's ridiculous how heartfelt and real this show feels. And damn, Gambit is dead-dead. Like buried in the ground carrying his body in a casket dead.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Damn, I felt that display of grief from Rogue. Like that shit broke her, and it was such a a realistic portrayal of how tragic events can change people.

Also, that stuff with Beast and the reporter. Still some deep down intolerance in her heart and Hank wasn't having it.

And Roberto coming out to his mom is exactly how my sister came out with me next to her. Went just about the same way too.

It's ridiculous how heartfelt and real this show feels. And damn, Gambit is dead-dead. Like buried in the ground carrying his body in a casket dead.
Well we got more than a few grave robber villains to screw with people. Sinister, Apocalypse, even Dracula(the biggest omission from the OG show)

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/ZannLenore/status/1783274880433266851

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well we got more than a few grave robber villains to screw with people. Sinister, Apocalypse, even Dracula(the biggest omission from the OG show)

I mean Gambit can always come back, we all know that, it's a comic book show. But I think it was really important for them to make this grief feel tangible and real, because this pain isn't something that can just be fixed with a Phoenix Down. Short of them completely undoing the entire timeline (which they won't), the loss and pain the mutants are feeling is something they'll carry forward with them, even if (and frankly ESPECIALLY IF) Apocalypse or Sinister drags Gambit out of the grave as part of an evil plot.

It will only hurt Rogue even more if, for example, Remy gets turned into Death by Apoc. A monster wearing his face isn't him.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
This show likely features the best voice-acted crying I've ever heard in an animated show, lol

Jubilee and Rogue full on ugly crying.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I mean Gambit can always come back, we all know that, it's a comic book show. But I think it was really important for them to make this grief feel tangible and real, because this pain isn't something that can just be fixed with a Phoenix Down. Short of them completely undoing the entire timeline (which they won't), the loss and pain the mutants are feeling is something they'll carry forward with them, even if (and frankly ESPECIALLY IF) Apocalypse or Sinister drags Gambit out of the grave as part of an evil plot.

It will only hurt Rogue even more if, for example, Remy gets turned into Death by Apoc. A monster wearing his face isn't him.
Oh I meant that, I didn't mean they'd bring him back cheaply, I meant that if he comes back it'll be in a pretty monstrous horrifying manner

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Good episode this week but whenever storm is not on the screen, all the characters should be asking each other "where's storm?"

OP
OP
GreenMamba

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Am I really to believe Sebastian Shaw died because some rubble fell on him though? Like did he completely forget what his own powers were?

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
This.
I say this as a straight white man: if you're going to portray characters that deal with prejudice and oppression, you should probably have people in the writers room who have experienced it themselves.
I never dreamed this show would be this good. It goes hard, and I'm here for it.

Seconded. If there was a story I wanted to write about a persecuted, oppressed people it would feel completely disingenuous unless I had real-world persecuted, oppressed people guiding me by the hand through their hell. Like Beau said about Cap, I know I have blind spots I DONT know about that would cause damage to any message if I tried to do this solo.

Now I would feel vastly more comfortable (sadly) writing about someone like Trask who, as part of the oppressors, did some horrible shit and realized too late how fucked up his actions were.

So goddamn, Nightcrawler's eulogy wrecked me. I never liked Gambit before 97.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, how do you pronounce Genosha? Is it Genosha or Jenosha?
I think I heard both in this series! :D Even Wikipedia has both pronunciations: (/dʒəˈnoʊʃə, ɡəˈnoʊʃə/)

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loving the show, but also sometimes feel confused about what's going on. Not sure if that's because I don't remember where the OG show left off or because I don't know the comics well enough…

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely loving the show, but also sometimes feel confused about what's going on. Not sure if that's because I don't remember where the OG show left off or because I don't know the comics well enough…
The show is structured with cliff hangers, so not knowing what is going on is ok so long as you are compelled to turn in next week. Everything you need to know is introduced in the previously on, or in show. There are loads of easter eggs of course, but they are not essential.

Bastion hasn't been formally introduced yet outside of the Reservoir Dogs-esque ending of the last episode. They will presumably go into more detail about why he matters and his relationship with Sentinels in the next episode. Afterwards you'll appreciate his cameos in earlier episodes. For example I'm curious how long Bastion has been around if he posing with Forge in the picture and why it's taken so long for him to act (maybe the plan was to eliminate Xavier).