• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
313c0a0e77cafffbd9920b501cace8fb2d422ec7.gifv

One thing I really want to give this show's creative team props for is not sanitizing the ugliness of anger. They're really letting the characters feel things COMPLETELY and not sanding off the rough edges to make it palatable for kids.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I believe so. The 76th Emmys are in September (we get two ceremonies this year because of the strike delays) and eligibility for that ends in May. So X-Men 97 would be eligible for the 76th and Arcane Season 2 would be the 77th.

Actually goated split because they're probably the two winners and it would have been cruel to make them fight haha.

It's X-MAndor 97' levels right now.

Nah "Mandor" would be about Trask and his workers.

Oct 26, 2023
Damn, I felt that display of grief from Rogue. Like that shit broke her, and it was such a a realistic portrayal of how tragic events can change people.

Also, that stuff with Beast and the reporter. Still some deep down intolerance in her heart and Hank wasn't having it.

And Roberto coming out to his mom is exactly how my sister came out with me next to her. Went just about the same way too.

It's ridiculous how heartfelt and real this show feels. And damn, Gambit is dead-dead. Like buried in the ground carrying his body in a casket dead.
Yeah, but I would just suspend judgement about Gambit until the end of this season.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
Beau looks to be bringing a mix of Planet X, Imperial and Operation Zero Tolerance to the season finale. I hope they manage to close the plot without relying on Shield interference like the original OZT story arc

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Cap is still looking for his shield

And I fucking love Theo James's American accent..his voice is so good..

He sounds like SUCH A PRICK, it's incredible. I really have to give him props for absolutely nailing how utterly detestable Bastion is.

The way he talks is...it's kind of like if the main villain from FFXVI had a personality. It's so well-executed.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really liking how more dimensional they're making Scott in this one, even compared to the OG series.

You get to see him more and struggles as leader, husband, and father. Just way more range. Not just a foil to Wolverine.

You can say the same about Gambit, Jean, Storm, and Rogue as well.

OP
OP
GreenMamba

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
19c85b41bde1b4d9d2f0787cf117e4a52436b11a.jpg

Why was Aurora at the funeral (to the right)?

541762-auroraani.jpg

Best I can think of is that she was captured on Genosha in the Slave Island episode that had Gambit in it but she was hardly the only mutant cameo in that episode, and I don't remember them even appearing in the same scene together.

Maybe the implication is that they hit it off off screen somewhere.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

541762-auroraani.jpg

Best I can think of is that she was captured on Genosha in the Slave Island episode that had Gambit in it but she was hardly the only mutant cameo in that episode, and I don't remember them even appearing in the same scene together.

There's also speculation that she's either Singer from the Assassin's Guild or Courier.

Meanwhile:

View: https://twitter.com/BeauDemayo/status/1783543448458727869?t=knEH-KJvf7aWcOy4WTiyOA&s=19

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that's already been debunked as the reason.

I really hope it was a damn good reason because I've been really excited for this and I'm hesitant about it going forward. Disney has jumped the gun in the past (James Gunn), but I imagine they probably wouldn't do this without good cause...idk.

Hopefully they can continue on at the same level of quality without them.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

541762-auroraani.jpg

That's not Aurora that is Singer a member of the assassin's guild.

marvel.fandom.com

Singer (Earth-616)

6 appearance(s) of Singer (Earth-616) 6 image(s) of Singer (Earth-616) http://www.comicvine.com/singer/4005-14160/

OP
OP
GreenMamba

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
That's not Aurora that is Singer a member of the assassin's guild.

marvel.fandom.com

Singer (Earth-616)

6 appearance(s) of Singer (Earth-616) 6 image(s) of Singer (Earth-616) http://www.comicvine.com/singer/4005-14160/
That would make more sense but on her own sitting next to three other cameo characters from the original series it's weird to pull a comics character like that who never appeared in the show before.

luca

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/BeauDemayo/status/1783540146413138042

I think we've found his appearances in ep 2 (seated at the UN war table), 4 (picture on Forge's board), 5 (at the gala), and obviously 7. Excuse me while I scour through the other 2 eps and play a game of Where's Bastion?

He's not in episode 3 and 6. So we just have to find him in episode one.

View: https://x.com/beaudemayo/status/1783542680217415965?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

Also, apparently Beau's said that Bastion have been buying mutants from the Friends of Humanity.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
That would make more sense but on her own sitting next to three other cameo characters from the original series it's weird to pull a comics character like that who never appeared in the show before.
I think it's just a show that both the thieves guild and the assassin's guild are both there and still not at each other's throats.

Besides random cameos that go nowhere are a staple of the X-Men animated series.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I really hope it was a damn good reason because I've been really excited for this and I'm hesitant about it going forward. Disney has jumped the gun in the past (James Gunn), but I imagine they probably wouldn't do this without good cause...idk.

Hopefully they can continue on at the same level of quality without them.
Supposedly it was workplace abuse, same reason why he was fired from The Witcher...
image.png

This was a 2022 tweet (now deleted) from a producer/writer on The Witcher, which DeMayo was also fired from.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I forget, someone refresh my memory: the Alpha Sentinel program doesn't work on mutants, right? Only humans?

OP
OP
GreenMamba

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
27504a22c3142c9a2c6ae5fdb360878b35746647.jpg

Morph now not only looks like Exiles Morph from the comics but is physically just a mass of white goo like Exiles Morph, too. I almost thought Morph got killed here for a split second. But they need to give Morph a redemption moment against Mister Sinister. They need a clean win.

That said, Morph getting Quicksilver's superspeed is some straight BS, I don't buy that.

Also: I like to think that Bastion waited for the exact moment to kill Gyrich until the correct station was playing The Purple People Eater.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I still can't get over the idea of waking someone up and putting their glasses on for them specifically just to smother them to death by hand literally seconds later.

The absolute pettiest of villain shit, lol.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
What a good episode!

- Seeing Ross and Cap was fun! Cap being very by the book feels a bit like OG Fury in Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run. There it was Scott asking for Fury's help and he basically said sucks to be you Summers, you are on your own.

on the other hand, it's not uncommon. In the comics most heroes are still a bit hesitant to mutants. It's better these days; The Avengers Unity Squad, Spider-Man and Wolverine becoming besties and what not; still, most mutants are seen as dangerous.

- I'm so happy Nightcrawler is on the team. He's such a good character.

- Emma and her diamond form :3

- Rogue being petty against Cap is way funnier than it should be.

- Well, that Gyrich thing… that escalated quickly.

- Final minutes are hype again

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
27504a22c3142c9a2c6ae5fdb360878b35746647.jpg

Morph now not only looks like Exiles Morph from the comics but is physically just a mass of white goo like Exiles Morph, too. I almost thought Morph got killed here for a split second. But they need to give Morph a redemption moment against Mister Sinister. They need a clean win.

That said, Morph getting Quicksilver's superspeed is some straight BS, I don't buy that.

Also: I like to think that Bastion waited for the exact moment to kill Gyrich until the correct station was playing The Purple People Eater.
Quicksilver's super speed is based on his physiology, unlike Flash. Pietro even has thicker eye fluids to stop them from drying out while running.

So yes, it's still consistent with how Morph's powers work (being able to replicate the physical abilities of anyone they mimic).

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Rogue getting sassy with the, "a good man, my man!" Line. I like the delivery and animation for that part lol.

OP
OP
GreenMamba

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
bolivar-trask-prime-sentinel-x-men-97-jpg.webp

Did Trask know that he had been converted into a Prime Sentinel? I wonder if maybe he did and was "killing himself" in front of the X-Men deliberately in order to transform.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
bolivar-trask-prime-sentinel-x-men-97-jpg.webp

Did Trask know that he had been converted into a Prime Sentinel? I wonder if maybe he did and was "killing himself" in front of the X-Men deliberately in order to transform.
I get the impression he suspected something was happening to him but he genuinely wanted to die BEFORE it finished. Just turns out getting rid of the meatmind kinda sped up the process.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently a lot voice talent comes from Canada since they're non-union, aka cheaper labor.
The original show was non-SAG, but from listening to interviews it seems that it was still a union show (most likely ACTRA, the Canadian equivalent). It seems that under their union rules, voice actors got lump sum payments in lieu of residuals, which did save money in the long run. It's the reason Iona Morris (an American SAG-AFTRA member), was replaced with Alison Sealy-Smith. I kinda wish they found a way to give Iona a role on '97, because she's just as much a part of the show's legacy and got done so dirty.

Supposedly it was workplace abuse, same reason why he was fired from The Witcher...
Those accusations only came from that one writer, who also posted (and deleted) messy stuff like this at the same time:

5725503551bc18275618801a4ac6b99455a2874f.jpg

That sounds like someone with an axe to grind. I get that Beau was highly unprofessional in airing dirty laundry from The Witcher's writer's room, but that writer seemed to have issues with Beau at a personal level if he felt the need to bring up stuff like that.

The actual showrunner for The Witcher, Lauren Hissrich, had this to say about Beau: https://www.pcgamer.com/witcher-showrunner-ive-never-mocked-the-books/

After a commenter repeated Beau DeMayo's comment, Hissrich responded, "I have great respect for Beau, and the episodes he wrote! The striga episode is one of my favorites. He wrote the one where people came to Kaer Morhen and Eskel died, which had a lot of backlash, but he was brave in telling the story he wanted to tell. It takes a lot of balls to do that. I respect that."

Maybe she's just more diplomatic (or mindful about NDAs), but neither she nor anyone else from The Witcher have ever corroborated the abuse allegations. She easily could've said, "I have great respect for Beau's writing" and let people read between the lines. But I don't know how she could have "great respect" for someone who was fired for being physically and emotionally abusive.

Beau has also still been interacting with directors, voice actors, and writers from X-Men '97 on Twitter, so if there was bad blood then it wasn't with everyone. That doesn't excuse his behavior if he was in fact abusive to anyone, even if it was just one person, but all we really have to go off is hearsay.

View: https://twitter.com/BeauDemayo/status/1783547684294651956

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that's already been debunked as the reason.

by who? Him? Disney/Marvel? What? lol How can anything be "debunked" when nobody involved is saying anything?

image.png

This was a 2022 tweet (now deleted) from a producer/writer on The Witcher, which DeMayo was also fired from.

my intention is not to cape for the guy, but what did he do specifically? If it's so bad why are people dancing around it? Say specifically what he did so that I can mentally write him off instead of all the nebulous beating around the bush.

Last edited:

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
by who? Him? Disney/Marvel? What? lol How can anything be "debunked" when nobody involved is saying anything?

my intention is not to cape for the guy, but what did he do specifically? If it's so bad why are people dancing around it? Say specifically what he did so that I can mentally write him off instead of all the nebulous beating around the bush.

yeah, I agree with what you're saying

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

I don't see why, the thing about mutants is pretty much all their powers comes from their very DNA. Morph rewrites their cellular DNA to look like anyone else also means they gain the powers from said DNA. Anything that is purely a physical mutation is on the table for Morph.

Quicksilver's power is entirely DNA based, it's not something like The Flash whose power is derived from a metaphysical Speed Force, so that's an easy get for them.

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Beast having a "that ain't alll MLK said" moment pleases me.

I also like how the perspective on "Tolerance is Extinction" has shifted through the season.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
alls I know is I now want Morph playable in MvC4, with a moveset consisting of them transforming into a bunch of mutants that don't make the cut. Kinda like how Super Skrull has a little bit of all the Fantastic Four members.

also if Morph dies and you have Wolverine on your team and he does his level 3 he says THIS ONE'S FOR YOU MORPH

thank you capcom I have ideas for days

Last edited:

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
alls I know is I now want Morph playable in MvC4, with a moveset consisting of them transforming into a bunch of mutants that don't make the cut. Kinda like how Super Skrull has a little bit of all the Fantastic Four members.

also if Morph dies and you have Wolverine on your team and he does his level 3 he says THIS ONE'S FOR YOU MORPH

thank you capcom I have ideas for days
FTFY on Morph's pronouns, but that'd be an amazing idea.