entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else's concerned they're just doing the classic Magneto arc again? Prof X v Magneto?

Kinda wished we got a different spin.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That's not my concern at all.

I think a couple X-Men are going to defect to Magneto right up until he pulls out Wolvie's adamantium and then Xavier mind blasts him and we end up with Onslaught tease for next season.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

I think a couple X-Men are going to defect to Magneto right up until he pulls out Wolvie's adamantium and then Xavier mind blasts him and we end up with Onslaught tease for next season.
Yeah, but that's like old Mags. Kinda tired of it. He's been "good" in the comics for decades now.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

Are you speculating or is there some evidence behind the adamantium thing? I mean it would be a cool arc just surprised if they did it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Are you speculating or is there some evidence behind the adamantium thing? I mean it would be a cool arc just surprised if they did it.

Just speculation (for now) but it feels like they're trying to speedrun all the big story beats. Ofc if they do go that route, then next season could have both Onslaught and Apocalypse as baddies depending on how long they want Wolvie to run around with bone claws.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
They've been heavily hinting at Fatal Attractions and Beau De Mayo has even suggested that people read up on it leading up to the last 3 episodes. That's probably the most memorable part of Fatal Attractions, so I think it's very likely that it happens here, with Apocalypse giving him his adamantium back sometime next season.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly with how little time Magneto spent being evil in the 90s show, a well written story where he's the villain would actually be refreshing.

OP
OP
GreenMamba

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly with how little time Magneto spent being evil in the 90s show, a well written story where he's the villain would actually be refreshing.
Yeah he probably spends more time working with the X-Men in the original series than fighting them, a lot of his supposed "villainy" in this universe is just talk.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Till now.

Shit's about to hit the fan.

Don't know how they're gonna fit so much into two episodes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I still really, really don't think Mags is far gone enough to do the adamantium rip thing. It's just...not in the character as he's written now.

Not to mention Xavier mindwiping him would just make Xavier look like the bad guy. That whole sequence is one of those things that ONLY WORKED in the comics because of the circumstances leading up to it. You can't do it here without it feeling forced.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I still really, really don't think Mags is far gone enough to do the adamantium rip thing. It's just...not in the character as he's written now.

it would have to be some kind of ridiculous set up where he's forced to do it or something. and idk if it's worth it stretching the morality of the character to that degree when this show has built him up to not be that person for a long time.

what he did with the EMP was what he said would happen all along if push came to shove. beyond that, I don't see any instance of Magneto taking his anger out on the X-Men because of it unless Xavier decides to go at him hard (which would be Xavier's fault if anything happens to his team)

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
Magneto is far more interesting when he's not a full villain so I'm also anti rip. Honestly hope they keep him as a good guy and the show continues to frame him that way.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
it would have to be some kind of ridiculous set up where he's forced to do it or something. and idk if it's worth it stretching the morality of the character to that degree when this show has built him up to not be that person for a long time.

what he did with the EMP was what he said would happen all along if push came to shove. beyond that, I don't see any instance of Magneto taking his anger out on the X-Men because of it unless Xavier decides to go at him hard (which would be Xavier's fault if anything happens to his team)

Exactly. The circumstances leading up to that attack in the comics were a confluence of like five different things and Magneto was a different person in that era.

Meanwhile, in this continuity, he JUST "died" like three weeks ago (and only DAYS prior in-universe) - he went out protecting Gambit and Rogue with one of his last acts, and Rogue will remember that. I cannot see them swerving him so hard into outright villainy this quickly to justify him taking his rage out on the X-Men, who just suffered their own attacks from the Prime Sentinels at the same time as he did. They might disagree as to the extent of his actions, but he clearly has the moral high ground considering the Prime Sentinels were - and still might BE - an extinction-level threat to all mutantkind.

Are the two groups going to end up at odds? Probably. But I genuinely think Bastion isn't done yet and as long as he's still kicking they have a clear common enemy.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I could see Magneto accidentally doing it as some sort of huge magnetic pulse, trying to destroy all sentinels in the area and not knowing that Wolverine was in there. Maybe the professor sends him in to secretly take out Magneto because he fears what he's going to do. Then they blame each other for "killing" Wolverine and Magneto becomes even more unhinged, leading the Professor to try to wipe their minds of all the misplaced hatred, leading to the creation of Onslaught when that hatred ends up somewhere else (possibly in the body of Bastion).

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I could see Magneto accidentally doing it as some sort of huge magnetic pulse, trying to destroy all sentinels in the area and not knowing that Wolverine was in there. Maybe the professor sends him in to secretly take out Magneto because he fears what he's going to do. Then they blame each other for "killing" Wolverine and Magneto becomes even more unhinged, leading the Professor to try to wipe their minds of all the misplaced hatred, leading to the creation of Onslaught when that hatred ends up somewhere else (possibly in the body of Bastion).

yeah Xavier coming back to the situation he's in maybe could get him to form X-Force and have Wolverine lead a team to try and take out both Magneto and Bastion in clandestine fashion. It would be really stupid of him, but I could see Xavier trying it if the writing puts together the circumstances in a believable way. not that I want it to happen, there's no reason to take Magneto to that level of villainy again.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

The thing is that actually exercising a level of metal control fine to pull the adamantium out of Logan's body without killing him is something Mags has to personally set his mind to. It's not something he can do accidentally, it was a surgical, deliberate attack that took SIGNIFICANT effort and even Erik himself eventually regretted doing. If you saw X-Men 2, when Erik rips the iron out of the security guard's bloodstream, it was basically that, but INFINITELY more focused.

A big magnetic pulse might send Logan flying (something Mags loves to do when the two characters fight), but it's not gonna rip the adamantium out of him. It's too integrated into his body.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Wolverine was off the mark on his comment there--Magneto didn't star a war, Bastion did.
Magneto declared war in the sense that he just came right out and said it's on instead of hiding in the shadows and committing atrocities using anonymity and plausible deniability.

He declared the war, but he didn't start it.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Magneto was justified. Those prime sentinels weren't stopping.

So not sure if Fatal Attractions, as written, is justified.

That came after a long campaign of villainy in the comics.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wish we had gotten more time with Magneto as the leader of the X-Men. I imagine for comic readers it's old hat, but it's a dynamic I haven't seen a lot and I'm sorry to see it end.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Yeah, watching the 1992 series this year, I was surprised at how little actual villainy Magneto committed. Dude was more like the X-Men's estranged uncle for long stretches of time. He didn't even have a proper Brotherhood for most of his appearances.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Symphony of the Night had to die so Magneto could live

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Symphony of the Night is one of my favorite video games of all time...

Man, fuck Magneto

I mean, he was right, but why'd he have to fuck with my video games?! (look, 1997 me was a recent high school graduate and hadn't sorted out priorities yet XD)

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Magneto is far more interesting when he's not a full villain so I'm also anti rip. Honestly hope they keep him as a good guy and the show continues to frame him that way.

My current theory is that Xavier will wipe Magneto's mind like he did in Fatal Attractions as the only way to diffuse "the war," but the twist will be that he actually just transfers his mind into a clone in Sinister's lab and we get Joseph (but this time he actually is Magneto) going forward.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Magneto was justified. Those prime sentinels weren't stopping.

So not sure if Fatal Attractions, as written, is justified.

That came after a long campaign of villainy in the comics.

Right. It's just not something that I think they need to rush. And honestly having Xavier swoop in and be like "TIME TO MIND WIPE" is just going to feel really stupid because Xavier hasn't done anything this season. It would feel like a shockingly unearned way to end the season.

If they do that moment - and I hope they don't - it needs a LOT more build than just an episode and a half.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, watching the 1992 series this year, I was surprised at how little actual villainy Magneto committed. Dude was more like the X-Men's estranged uncle for long stretches of time. He didn't even have a proper Brotherhood for most of his appearances.

I found that interesting as well. That's why seeing him lead the X-Men for a bit didn't seem too crazy.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
it fr be feeling like people just be scrolling on their phones for the whole episode and 10 minutes later they be coming on here like "wait, where is Gambit." Going based on some of the stuff people be asking about on here lol

it's honestly like that with so many weekly shows on Era. i feel like most people are more interested in jumping on here to post their reaction than actually watching the episodes. lol

Personally, I like to watch the episode first, then chime in after i've seen it. additionally, because i'm not always able to watch an episode when it drops, i can avoid spoilers, unless i happen to make the mistake of booting up youtube, and my recommendations pop up with a screengrab of some major moment of the episode in the thumbnail. I really, really hate that.

Like Reel Rejects, who i very much enjoy, used the
Spider-Man
cameo moment from the last episode as their thumbnail, and I was like, "Oh, cool, good to know that character is in this episode that I haven't seen yet. Awesome." I mean, I kind of suspected we might get a cameo, but it's one thing to suspect, and still be surprised when it happens, than having it confirmed, and which episode it happens in.

My schedule doesn't always allow me to watch things immediately, so I usually avoid discussion until I've caught up. Some shows I'll wait until the entire season finishes before binging it all on the weekend (which is usually when I get free time), and others, like this one, I gave up on that because of all the spoilers, so I've just been watching it weekly.

This show is amazing, though. It's like watching the version of the show I swear I remember from the 90's, but it clearly, obviously isn't.

I'd love to see similar continuations done in this style, but it works especially well for the X-Men considering how "safe for kids" the original series was, and how political and social X-Men has always been, so seeing that aspect of their world really explored in this new series has been wonderful. I don't think it'd work for every old 80's and 90's cartoon, but it works very well for this one! I can't wait for the next episodes, and then lament having to wait for Season 2 lol

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

Magneto was only really a full-time villain in the 60s. When Claremont started writing, he immediately made Mags very sympathetic.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
If the mindwipe happens...

What if it's like Rosrschach and Manhattan?

Mags is going "I'm going to do this, the only way you can stop me is if you destroy my mind" or something along these lines"

The Magneto gets to keep the moral high ground, and there will still be X-Men that think Xavier will have gone too far.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
If the mindwipe happens...

What if it's like Rosrschach and Manhattan?

Mags is going "I'm going to do this, the only way you can stop me is if you destroy my mind" or something along these lines"

The Magneto gets to keep the moral high ground, and there will still be X-Men that think Xavier will have gone too far.
If they do it, this should (and likely is) be how it's done.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Can't really blame magneto there. I think those I think those organic Sentinels were about to off 99.9% of all Mutants.

Part of me thinks that Bastion is playing Magneto. I hope Bastion doesn't turn out to be a Greg Wiseman-like villian.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Also, this is like the best Nightcrawler design ever. He's too goddamn cute.

Nightcrawler-sostiene-una-manzana-en-X-Men-97.webp

Morph might need to be worried.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
What time does this release ?? 3 AM ? I think if i wake up in the middle of the night I might watch it, I've been getting up early and watching this on wednesday mornings so I won't get spoiled on what happens and don't want to sit at work all day wanting to watch it and trying to sneak it in at work

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
If were talking Australian Wolverines, Scott McNeil is still the GOAT Wolverine.

Also, someone has to update Wolverine's "queer appeal" section on his Wikipedia page.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
Ngl the first thing I thought of when I saw that tweet is that Colossus was finally gonna appear lol. I'm still full of copium begging for him to join the team :(

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
What time does this release ?? 3 AM ? I think if i wake up in the middle of the night I might watch it, I've been getting up early and watching this on wednesday mornings so I won't get spoiled on what happens and don't want to sit at work all day wanting to watch it and trying to sneak it in at work

Midnight Pacific / 3 am Eastern