Rustyspider13

Shinra Employee
Nov 16, 2023
I think this is the first time this season when the speed at which things were happening was too much, even for me. Still loved the episode. Mags throwing the impracticality of Xavier's dream in his face, Storm and Jean, Rogue in her Green-White costume (missed the cape), X-Men in their super old school outfits, Teams Blue and Gold, Jean and Storm, Morph smash and of course, the adamantium rip. I'll admit knowing what happened in the comics softened the surprise a bit, but I bet it hit a lot of unknowing people really hard.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering if anyone with sharper eyes can point out the references to the various vehicles in this shot? Obviously there is the mutantcycle and Xavier's chairs from the comics, but I wonder which car and motorcycle belongs to whom.

The motorcycle with the flames on the left resembles the one Wolverine rode in X-Men Evolution.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That was an exciting episode. But I'm not sure how well it holds up under scrutiny.

Storm shooting down the idea of using a power neutralizer was amusing.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering if anyone with sharper eyes can point out the references to the various vehicles in this shot? Obviously there is the mutantcycle and Xavier's chairs from the comics, but I wonder which car and motorcycle belongs to whom.
The other jet is the Strato-Jet, which was the Blackbird's precursor. It lasted like 3 issues in the comics so I'm shocked they included it.

LSNpq7b.jpeg
strato+jet.jpg

Drawing a blank on the other vehicles though. The one on the middle right of the screen looks like it might be Shi-Ar tech since Jean said they had some on Muir Island. But I don't remember it from the original show.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ooh that's interesting.

He also said Bishop's absence was intentional.

Time to go back and keep Bastion from being born?

I really hope they don't reset button everything...
Genosha was already defined as an Absolute Point, so that can't be erased without destroying the entire universe.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Genosha was already defined as an Absolute Point, so that can't be erased without destroying the entire universe.
Technically that was implied rather than definitely stated. For all we know, Bishop has been the one interfering with Cable the whole time rather than time itself.

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just REALLY curious where they're gonna go with this. The show has almost made TOO good of a case that humanity and other forces just won't do right and will always have mutants under the very real threat of death/extinction. A dude like Magneto with his power, history and repeated trauma just going, "Fuck it" just seems like the natural endpoint of the scenario. If not him it'd be somebody else. I don't see how it'd ever not end in disaster.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
To add to the pacing problems: I completely missed why Rogue was unconscious for such a long time, that they needed a scene where Wolverine and Nightcrawler had to fight Sentinels to protect her while she was out.

She got decked by the first prime sentinel (Trask?), took her out with one punch. I think that is what she's still recovering from, since she didn't fight at any point after that? I thought that's why the first thing she said when she woke up was "Trask? Did he?". Need to rewatch it though.

MadDogTannen

Feb 21, 2023
What an episode!

I'm curious why they were so gungho saying Magneto was bad at the very beginning when he literally saved everyone from the sentinels. I was sitting there through it and thinking, everything Magneto is saying is right lol

What was the significance of Wolverine's and Jean's suits? I don't get what they're in reference to

And just to make sure, did Magneto pull out the adamantium from Logan's body....? Like, is he dead now? I know he has generative powers so idk

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just REALLY curious where they're gonna go with this. The show has almost made TOO good of a case that humanity and other forces just won't do right and will always have mutants under the very real threat of death/extinction. A dude like Magneto with his power, history and repeated trauma just going, "Fuck it" just seems like the natural endpoint of the scenario. If not him it'd be somebody else. I don't see how it'd ever not end in disaster.

Yeah. The only real defense here is that Bastion was using his power and influence to do a lot of the heavy lifting in the background. But he obviously wasn't taping into something that wasn't already there.

And just to make sure, did Magneto pull out the adamantium from Logan's body....? Like, is he dead now? I know he has generative powers so idk

If it's similar to the the way the comics handles it he will survive. There is an interesting story arc about it being revealed that the adamantium was actually holding his mutant powers back since he had to use a portion of his power to keep the metal from poisoning him. He goes through a transformation of sorts and starts to become more feral. He goes on a journey to regain his humanity. People have their issues with this part of his story, but I really liked it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What an episode!

I'm curious why they were so gungho saying Magneto was bad at the very beginning when he literally saved everyone from the sentinels. I was sitting there through it and thinking, everything Magneto is saying is right lol

What was the significance of Wolverine's and Jean's suits? I don't get what they're in reference to

Wolverine wore that costume in the 1980s. Jean wore that outfit in the 1960s/1970s/briefly in the Krakoa era.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I mean, even in the comics, this is exactly the cycle you see repeating over and over again to varying degrees. Even with the most recent Krakoa age where mutants are living in their own nation that is (for the most part) a utopia and they're essentially a world superpower (due in no small part to the entire population having superpowers, but also due to the Krakoan drugs), they still end up having everything burned to the ground around them.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Most likely not dead (it took Jean psychically holding him together in the comic, so there's technically a chance he doesn't make it since she's planetside...), but definitely neutered.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
What an episode!

Yup, but he's alive. In fact back in the 90's it was when he got his insane power boost on his regen powers. The admantium was always putting stress on them, so having it ripped out basically made it go crazy, and strengthened it. So when he eventually got fixed his regen powers got to those meme levels. But he's out of commission for a while.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, even in the comics, this is exactly the cycle you see repeating over and over again to varying degrees. Even with the most recent Krakoa age where mutants are living in their own nation that is (for the most part) a utopia and they're essentially a world superpower (due in no small part to the entire population having superpowers, but also due to the Krakoan drugs), they still end up having everything burned to the ground around them.

The cycle definitely isn't framed the same way in the comics. I think this kind of thing is more than fine in this first season, but one of the great things about movies and TV shows is that you can tell a story with a definitive end. No need to pad shit out and constantly have everything return to the status quo.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
So did Magneto even offer sanctuary again this time to other mutants? Or did he just plan to live on his asteroid with the 2 deserter X-Men as the last people left?

It's weird how rushed it all is, he's so angry that he's just gonna kill everyone, mutants included because enough is enough and poor Leech... by him now killing a million more poor Leeches? :\

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Do folks remember the Silver Surfer show? It was rather good but only lasted one season.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
So did Magneto even offer sanctuary again this time to other mutants? Or did he just plan to live on his asteroid with the 2 deserter X-Men as the last people left?

It's weird how rushed it all is, he's so angry that he's just gonna kill everyone, mutants included because enough is enough and poor Leech... by him now killing a million more poor Leeches? :\

It was very poorly executed and I'm crashing down to earth on this show after ecstatically floating for most of the season.

This one episode took the show from the high 9s to the 8s for me.

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe the Star Trek time loop references, and Bishop not being out of the picture hints - could they basically be teasing the season finale ending with Age of Apocalypse beginning? Maybe they basically have to let Xavier die in the past to prevent something worse with the new timeline - and Bishop being the fragment of reality like he was in the comic story because he's outside the timestream. It's not the exact same alternate world we saw before because the circumstances of Xavier's death in the past have changed.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

he's not killing everybody. like, his actions are obviously gonna be disastrous and result in a lot of people dying, but his intent isn't to kill everyone on the planet's surface, it's to disable the planet's surface so genosha can't happen again. he said the door is always open when he left the xavier estate with rogue and sunspot, so presumably he intends to go do a sales pitch to mutants across the globe.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I was only buying comics for a couple years during my teens, but I still have the issue (with the little Gambit hologram on the cover) where that happened. I sort of had a feeling it was going to happen when they went up to space, but I was still a little surprised when they actually did it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
he's not killing everybody. like, his actions are obviously gonna be disastrous and result in a lot of people dying, but his intent isn't to kill everyone on the planet's surface, it's to disable the planet's surface so genosha can't happen again. he said the door is always open when he left the xavier estate with rogue and sunspot, so presumably he intends to go do a sales pitch to mutants across the globe.
Yeah people seem to be misunderstanding what they mean by the world ends in 12 hrs: it can't be recovered after 12 hrs. It's not that everyone instantly dies, it's that the earth's magnetic field and the atmosphere gets damaged and huge amounts of radiation starts breaching it. It'll still be habitable for several months, more than enough time for magneto to pluck people and supplies away as everyone else begins to bake or freeze

The pacing on this show has always been frenetic, at times to its detriment. You just kinda have to take that or leave it.

I'm just REALLY curious where they're gonna go with this. The show has almost made TOO good of a case that humanity and other forces just won't do right and will always have mutants under the very real threat of death/extinction.
I mean, I don't think that Xavier's vision was ever contingent on (or an argument that) every human would become amenable and all threats would go away. I do agree, giving humanity at large the pessimistic edit for much of this series has certainly tilted a lot of people's minds; but they could also just remember that Moira and people like her exist. This is the same world as Spider-Man: The Animated Series, I'm pretty sure the main cast there don't all hate mutants.

Incidentally, I've found this series' framing of Genosha as if it was the fulfillment of Xavier's dream a bit odd. Genosha was always, if anything, much more a realization of Magneto's vision of mutant separatism/nationalism.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Brown Wolverine is best Wolverine, hope he keeps it. Scott and Jean needs to go past both, their original and the 90s uniforms. Rest is fine.

Although it will be curious to see how close they'll go to what happened to Logan in the comics after this mess. It was... quite an experience at times.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
What an episode!

It doesnt seem like he actually did it to save anyone, it was just revenge for Genosha. Even more than that, he refuses to fix the damage which will "end the earth" in 12 hours.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Incidentally, I've found this series' framing of Genosha as if it was the fulfillment of Xavier's dream a bit odd. Genosha was always, if anything, much more a realization of Magneto's vision of mutant separatism/nationalism.

Eh, not really. Moira was a part of the governing council, and she's human as far as anyone is aware at this point. Valerie Cooper was present for the genocide. Humans aren't explicitly banned from Genosha, that's more of a Krakoa thing.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the pacing in this episode was whiplash fast. Too much left to the imagination. This was the most anime episode by far. Some amazing shots.

Eh, not really. Moira was a part of the governing council, and she's human as far as anyone is aware at this point. Valerie Cooper was present for the genocide. Humans aren't explicitly banned from Genosha, that's more of a Krakoa thing.
Humans weren't banned from Genosha, but it was a mutant nation with Moira expressly there as a token representative. Xavier's vision never involved mutants having their own country.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I said earlier that I was aware of the event at the very end of this episode, but I don't know the minutiae leading up to it. I'm guessing the basics stayed the same; Wolverine attacks Magneto and Magneto retaliates?

Btw, I couldn't help but notice that the Professor is wearing Magneto's helmet at the end there. 👀

Yeah, I wanted to ask the same thing, I just wasn't sure how to articulate it.

To me, it seems like the situation is basically begging for a time reset by Bishop, though I'm sure it won't be as simple as like "Let's go back and prevent Bastion from being born" or whatever.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully with the success of this show the next seasons will get a few extra episodes to pace some of the happenings better. Finale is going to be a wild one.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Maybe the Star Trek time loop references, and Bishop not being out of the picture hints - could they basically be teasing the season finale ending with Age of Apocalypse beginning? Maybe they basically have to let Xavier die in the past to prevent something worse with the new timeline - and Bishop being the fragment of reality like he was in the comic story because he's outside the timestream. It's not the exact same alternate world we saw before because the circumstances of Xavier's death in the past have changed.

Apocalypse has been teased in the opening all season. AoA and Onslaught are the two most likely scenarios for season 2. I'd personally prefer AoA. We know it's going to get timeywimey in the last ep, and Bishop will play a role, we just don't know to what extent.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the greatest seasons of a TV series in my life. Holy shit. Never did I think I'd ever see the X-Men costumes I grew up with again. And the pacing of this episode was just nuts.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
This would certainly be a "next season" sort of thing, but I'd bet that whatever Wolverine-centric episode deals with recovering from losing his Adamantium and the reveal of his bone claws is going to get paired up with a retelling of Origins and the reveal of his real name.

In retrospect it was unusual that Wolverine's origins were held off on for such a long time.