• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
I dropped super hero comics after Hickman's Secret Wars. This does nothing to make me regret it.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not really even when they were the cash cow they always tried some mutant genocide
I mean that Marvel literally hates the X-Men/mutants, as in they intentionally wish to visit harm, pain, and suffering to these characters/race. It's hard not to think that after the nth fictional genocide.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just in time for the comics division to bring them all back into existence when their MCU movies are announced.

Synergy.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
This and Extermination was very weak. The entire Gold/Blue/Red era was underwhelming. Super annoying how often Marvel relaunches the X-Men.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Starting with Wolverine and Cyclops and slowly reintroducing mutants doesn't seem like that bad of an idea by itself.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Am I crazy in thinking this is where I'd like to jump back into reading xmen comics? The last time I was into buying and following comics was when the original Age of Apocalypse was a thing. When that final issue ended is when I stopped. I have however followed the stories through word of mouth and wikis. I'm oddly intrigued by this turn of events.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe they are STILL using "nigh-invulnerable" with Cannonball. That epithet has been used obsessively by them since the New Mutants graphic novel. Like it has to be in a caption once per issue.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Ah, Nate Grey. They should have brought Spidey to talk some sense into him. Or maybe they did, I don't know.
Once again, this last relaunch of Uncanny got me thinking that "hey, maybe this time they'll figure out how to make this book work". But I was hopelessly bored halfway through issue one so I dropped it instantly. Sigh, maybe next time.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So they are basically back to the same status quo as after Second Coming lol.

I am nowhere near as excited for Age of X-Man as I was, but I'll still pick it up.

Oct 25, 2017
X-Men members voted most likely to die like punks for [checks notes] Wow! The 35th year running.
---
Ah, Nate Grey. They should have brought Spidey to talk some sense into him. Or maybe they did, I don't know.
Once again, this last relaunch of Uncanny got me thinking that "hey, maybe this time they'll figure out how to make this book work". But I was hopelessly bored halfway through issue one so I dropped it instantly. Sigh, maybe next time.
No one is smart enough to realize Parker in a trained practitioner in talk no jutsu.

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018
Although I am confident in Zac Thompson and Lonnie Nadler, I sure miss the Grant Morrison era. Back then, mutants were a more realistic and nuanced representation of outsiders and minorities, and the stories were a cool, weird sci-fi take on the classic X-Men tropes with some fantastic worldbuilding.

Even the side-books were more interesting than this rehash of Age of Apocalypse and old tropes. X-Statix? One of the greatest books of Quesada's Marvel. Uncanny X-Men? Jose Casey's run was messy but had more potential and good ideas than most recent books. Cable? An excellent, mature update of the character. Deadpool? Jimmy Palmiotti was trying a new approach to the character and later Gail Simone would prove herself as a rising star. Wolverine? Frank Tieri's run was a decent succession of blockbuster with no crossover bullshit. X-Treme X-Men? Claremont and Larroca (before he traced everything) creating conventional but solid stories that did not rely on nostalgia. The Hidden Years? One of the last decent comics Byrne made before his decline. And the list goes on.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

The X-Men group of comics needs an editor and writer(s) with talent and razor sharp focus. Morrison, Whedon-those runs were legendary and since then it's been meandering. Bendis was big name, but it wasn't very good.

Tom Taylor was fucking awesome on All New Wolverine and X-Men Red. too bad they didn't give him the keys to the kingdom.

Personally I wish Marvel would just cut a check to Hickman and give him full reign over the X-Men corner of the Marvel U.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait when did OG Cyclops come back? I stopped reading after OG Jean came back(I liked her resurection, but knew they'd ruin her quickly).

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not so keen to spend $100+ on the Age of X-Man books, but I'm excited for the status quo this sets up for the Wolverine/Cyclops Uncanny on-going. The slate needed to be wiped clean after X-Men Blue/Gold really shit the bed, and the creative teams working on the X line now are really good, so I'm hopeful that with Extermination and Dissasembled out of the way (and really pretty good stories, despite typical uninformed Era "lol cape comix" reactions), this is gonna be great. Fingers crossed.

Wait when did OG Cyclops come back? I stopped reading after OG Jean came back(I liked her resurection, but knew they'd ruin her quickly).

You knew that, did you? It's a shame, then, that Taylor's run on X-Men Red was probably Jean's most meaningful run since early Claremont. Don't put precognition on any of your resumés.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
New Status Quo: The same status Quo

Also their books still suck.

Yep, that's X-men alright.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Although I am confident in Zac Thompson and Lonnie Nadler, I sure miss the Grant Morrison era. Back then, mutants were a more realistic and nuanced representation of outsiders and minorities, and the stories were a cool, weird sci-fi take on the classic X-Men tropes with some fantastic worldbuilding.

Even the side-books were more interesting than this rehash of Age of Apocalypse and old tropes. X-Statix? One of the greatest books of Quesada's Marvel. Uncanny X-Men? Jose Casey's run was messy but had more potential and good ideas than most recent books. Cable? An excellent, mature update of the character. Deadpool? Jimmy Palmiotti was trying a new approach to the character and later Gail Simone would prove herself as a rising star. Wolverine? Frank Tieri's run was a decent succession of blockbuster with no crossover bullshit. X-Treme X-Men? Claremont and Larroca (before he traced everything) creating conventional but solid stories that did not rely on nostalgia. The Hidden Years? One of the last decent comics Byrne made before his decline. And the list goes on.
The Morrison / X-Statix / District X era was the perfect evolution of the mutant concept for the 21st century. The books simply felt relevant at the time, as silly as that sounds. Then they sacrificed all that and the X-books have been a footnote ever since. It's not that there haven't been good stories of course, but it just seems like they don't matter, they have nothing to say and no direction.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The young Xmen team was really good.

tenor.gif

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Sounds like they just took House of M & Age of Apocalypse and rolled into a storyline.

Its just too obvious how this'll go, but i'm hoping some interesting X-stories get told.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Same verse, same as the first.

Making me wish Onslaught would come back is truly astounding.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He returned on the final page of the last crossover. Cable had been killed....by a younger version of Cable who is trying to fix the time stream. Kid Cable returned the original X-Men back to the past to fix the timeline and then when that was done and everything was safe, it was revealed he had been protecting the adult Cyclops in a bunker-and told him it was now safe to return.
Haven't keep to date on x-books. What is this crossover called?