• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine, if the BC team hadn't bothered doubling the framerate nobody would be complaining right now.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Ok but the game is a last gen game set at XB1 specs at 900p and 30fps. The BC team has now doubled the framerate through BC on Series X|S so it's 900p/60fps. It's objectively better than it was before.

This thread isn't about resolution boosts. The BC team hasn't released any resolution boosts on XB1 games yet because it's likely not ready nor do we know to what extent it will work or if it can work in conjunction with FPS boosts.

The other option would've been the BC team did nothing and this game is forever stuck at 900p/30fps on Xbox consoles.

Would you have preferred that? If not, what is there to complain about?
Yeah, but the problem is FROM Software never provided a 1X upgrade to allow higher resolutions. It is more their fault then the BC team not providing a 4K option. So far resolution upscaling via BC has only been for OG Xbox and 360 games. A resolution boost would probably require a full patch from From Software which we will likely never get, so a FPS boost via MS is a nice bonus other than them doing nothing at all. Seems weird to be complaining that there is no resolution boost when they made the game better for free.

I understand completely the scope of the BC team and the gains we as gamers obtain thanks to them. Of course this is better than nothing.

I just wanted to provide context as to why even with these gains, some users dont see a huge benefit in the boost. (To those wondering why there are negative comments).

In my personal view, the game still looks so rough at 900p, that even at 60fp I would not play it again. That´s my preference.

Regarding the actual viability of increasing resolution without a native One X option: This is the same BC team that increased Original Xbox and 360 Xbox games to around 4K last gen. Of course they can (keeping the 30fps as a baseline in that mode). Is it cost-effective for what they want to achieve with the program? Probably not.

Last edited:

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
900p isn't nearly as big a deal as 30 fps. 4K is nice to have; but 60 fps (minimum) is a requirement by now.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Gunna try this today. Put some crazy hours into the game, so it will be nice to retry at 60. Sure a res boost would be nice but I will take what I can get! Roll on the 120fps mode if they do it!

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand completely the scope of the BC team and the gains we as gamers obtain thanks to them. Of course this is better than nothing.

I just wanted to provide context as to why even with these gains, some users dont see a huge benefit in the boost. (To those wondering why are there negative comments).

In my personal view, the game still looks so rough at 900p, that even at 60fp I would not play it again. That´s my preference.

Regarding the actual viability of increasing resolution without a native One X option: This is the same BC team that increased Original Xbox and 360 Xbox games to around 4K last gen. Of course they can (keeping the 30fps as a baseline in that mode). Is it cost-effective for what they want to achieve with the program? Probably not.
I know the context and they now have an option that didn't exist before. If that's not enough to entice them to play, then they don't have to play the game. Complaining about it in a thread about a net positive improvement just comes across as whining from an ungrateful and entitled mentality.

We know the capabilities of the BC team and they've already previewed increasing resolutions of XB1 games with Gears Ultimate from 1080p to 4k on Series X. However, since then they have not officially increased resolution to any XB1 game on Series X|S which likely means they're still researching and testing it before it's ready for primetime.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Underrated post.

It's 2021, and resolution is actually a really big deal, especially on an extremely capable 4k console like the Series X. 900p should have been left in 2015.

It's a game that came out in early 2016. Base Xbox One was all that existed on MS side at that time. That was a 900p console. It just was.

I don't think upressing a game without a full fledged patch from the developer is a simple matter. It's kind of miraculous that they're even able to do FPS boosts. MS has been amazing.

MS has a BC team. There's a staff of engineers whose purpose it is to add BC to old games and do innovative things like boost their FPS by any means possible, including unique solutions. Think about how fucking cool that is. As far as I know Sony doesn't have any team like this, and if they do, they haven't been busy

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of what is really, REALLY important. Where the hell can I get this cheap in Europe? Also, does any edition contain all dlc on disc (so I can get a used disc)?

Does auto HDR look good in this game or not?

900p my ass. I played Scholar on my one X at 1080p and that's an ugly game, most of the time. But it was glorious at 60 fps locked after all my life playing souls at uneven 30 or less fps on console. This one at 900p will look much, much better than Scholar and will be s more fun and better game on top of that. Gimme. Double dipping here for the fps boost as I never played the dlc and don't have a ps5. Thanks, BC team.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of what is really, REALLY important. Where the hell can I get this cheap in Europe? Also, does any edition contain all dlc on disc (so I can get a used disc)?

Look for the Fire Fades Edition, it includes the base game and all DLC in the same disc. Also that bundle can be cheap sometimes in the Xbox storefront.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played a *lot* of DS3 -- mostly on ps4 back in the day. I happen to own the xbox version for some reason so I'm testing it out on my XSX.

The FPS seems flawless, and it may be because I've been playing switch, but the 900p doesn't really look *that* bad. I'm on a 55 inch lg cx.

Also worth pointing out that the auto HDR is pretty nice here.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I have to wonder if it would be possible to do a resolution boost on top of an FPS boost honestly...

Napkin math the Xbox One S was 1.404TF, doubling that for FPS boost requires at least 2.808TF of power, multiplying that by 4 (2x multiplier on each axis is how they'll likely do it) would require 11.232TF which is less than 12.1TF as well.

I guess the only main issue would be memory bandwidth, but the 8GB of RAM on the Xbone (and S) was 68.3GB/s, and the 32MB of ESRAM was 218GB/s on the One S (204 on the Xbone.) I don't know exactly how that would translate to increased usage through FPS Boost and resolution boost, but the XSX has 10GB of RAM at 560GB/s and I think 3.5GB at 336GB/s.

It's all a stupid hypothetical, but I would certainly hope it would be possible somehow, Dark Souls 3 at 1800p60 would be rad as all hell honestly, and several other non One X patched games that have gotten FPS boosted could certainly use some resolution boost as well, but I guess the biggest thing would be how much those games would use the ESRAM in general.

I've played a *lot* of DS3 -- mostly on ps4 back in the day. I happen to own the xbox version for some reason so I'm testing it out on my XSX.

The FPS seems flawless, and it may be because I've been playing switch, but the 900p doesn't really look *that* bad. I'm on a 55 inch lg cx.

Also worth pointing out that the auto HDR is pretty nice here.
The 900p resolution figure, while true, doesn't exactly tell the whole story for playing the game on an XSX. The XSX automatically forces 16x anisotropic filtering and I want to also say some anti-aliasing as well which allows for the games over a lower resolution to look much better than they have any real right to at that native resolution. Add in the art style for Dark Souls 3 and it's not totally surprising that the 900p doesn't look terrible.

Also the 60fps just makes it look better in motion which doesn't make it look as bad as well

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, people complaining about a great performance upgrade. Only here lol.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Underrated post.

It's 2021, and resolution is actually a really big deal, especially on an extremely capable 4k console like the Series X. 900p should have been left in 2015.
I will play Dark Souls III ... just not on my Series X.

Why did you come into a thread that has xbox and 900p in the thread title? This is as lame as people saying "I'll play Deathloop next year with better performance via Gamepass."

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news.

I played it originally on PC, but I've been wanting to go through it again. I'll probably pick this up on Series X when it goes on sale digitally in the fall.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the 900p vs 1080p thing on DS3, I've played both console versions on my 4K TV and the difference isn't that noticeable save for a slightly cleaner look on PS4 Pro (don't have a PS5 yet).

DS 3 just doesn't have good anti-aliasing on either version so you're not losing much in the image quality department. It's also an older game meant for older hardware so you have to keep that in mind with any BC game of the previous gen.

That said, as previous posters have pointed out the game does benefit from the hardware's other features like the anisotropic filtering boost & auto HDR option which looks pretty good so it's still getting improvements even at 900p.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
That said, as previous posters have pointed out the game does benefit from the hardware's other features like the anisotropic filtering boost & auto HDR option which looks pretty good so it's still getting improvements even at 900p.

I only had the starting area for reference, but the Auto HDR really did seem nice in Cemetary of Ash.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to wonder if it would be possible to do a resolution boost on top of an FPS boost honestly...

Napkin math the Xbox One S was 1.404TF, doubling that for FPS boost requires at least 2.808TF of power, multiplying that by 4 (2x multiplier on each axis is how they'll likely do it) would require 11.232TF which is less than 12.1TF as well.

I guess the only main issue would be memory bandwidth, but the 8GB of RAM on the Xbone (and S) was 68.3GB/s, and the 32MB of ESRAM was 218GB/s on the One S (204 on the Xbone.) I don't know exactly how that would translate to increased usage through FPS Boost and resolution boost, but the XSX has 10GB of RAM at 560GB/s and I think 3.5GB at 336GB/s.

It's all a stupid hypothetical, but I would certainly hope it would be possible somehow, Dark Souls 3 at 1800p60 would be rad as all hell honestly, and several other non One X patched games that have gotten FPS boosted could certainly use some resolution boost as well, but I guess the biggest thing would be how much those games would use the ESRAM in general.

The 900p resolution figure, while true, doesn't exactly tell the whole story for playing the game on an XSX. The XSX automatically forces 16x anisotropic filtering and I want to also say some anti-aliasing as well which allows for the games over a lower resolution to look much better than they have any real right to at that native resolution. Add in the art style for Dark Souls 3 and it's not totally surprising that the 900p doesn't look terrible.

Also the 60fps just makes it look better in motion which doesn't make it look as bad as well

There's some shimmmering around edges like you'd expect, but the image doesn't appear overly soft/blurry which is what I'd normally think of with 900p on this screen.

Also I don't really know if the PS4 version had HDR or not. I didn't have an HDR TV at the time that I played it on PS4 anyway, but, either way, the auto HDR looks pretty damn nice here, I'll say again. It adds notably to the presentation

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
DS3 uses a 60fps ready engine because of the PC game. Bloodborne doesn't have that engine. We know this because McDonald did the 60fps patch by reverse engineering DS3 engine, most of his work was actually to integrate all the 60fps specific code from DS3 to Bloodborne.

Okay, but my point remains. Lance did it by himself without access to the source code. Sony has the BB source code and a ton of professional game programmers at their disposal, they could easily get the game running properly at 60 if they wanted to, it's not that daunting of a task.

Dec 11, 2017
I wonder if whatever technique Microsoft engineers employed to get this working is unique to the way From Software makes games or if it will enable other games from other devs to now get a FPS boost.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if whatever technique Microsoft engineers employed to get this working is unique to the way From Software makes games or if it will enable other games from other devs to now get a FPS boost.

I'm under the impression the change is effectively standard, but the game needs to be (1) re-tested to ensure the performance is stable and doesn't introduce new bugs, and (2) approved by the publisher.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I only had the starting area for reference, but the Auto HDR really did seem nice in Cemetary of Ash.
I would definitely count it as a beneficial feature for DS 3.

Auto HDR is so case by case in terms of how well it applies to certain titles but it actually looks good here in terms of how candles, flames, & the general lighting. It looks much more natural than without.

I'd definitely keep it on.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Is everyone complaining about 900p thinking that Microsoft dropped the resolution to enable the 60 FPS or just mad that FROM is bad at tech? Pretty much all the console games FROM has made have had major issues outside of like, DS SotF2 because that was basically a 360/PS3 port up to XBO/PS4. As much as I love Bloodborne the big reason I want a PC version is because the FPS and frame pacing is absolute garbage. I straight up refused to play DS1 until the remaster because of bad console performance and an awful PC port that no matter what I did would just explode whenever fire effects popped up.

FPS Boost is cool as hell and Microsoft keeps winning with regards to backwards compat.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think people are being mislead by the thread title. DS3 has always been 900p on xbox since it came out.

XSX would be able to 4k/60 Dark Souls 3 almost for sure with a proper patch. The fact is there is no proper patch, it's just MS engineers working magic to make BC games better on their own, and it's really cool. They do it with FPS boost and they do it with auto HDR

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't be an FPS Boost thread without the constant 'but what about the resolution' posts. Aren't the BC team working on a Resolution Boost, its just not as easy to apply as the FPS Boost?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Still need to play this, so this is great news. Love all these old games on the backlog getting a touch up.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think the thread title including the resolution does a disservice and left people with that impression

I doubt there's much misunderstanding on that point; I think seeing "900p" is just bait for people still fighting out console wars in their heads from last-gen. It's even funnier in the context of a game where the higher res in another version didn't amount to much added clarity because the TAA worked well all-around.

Most people get what FPS Boost does/doesn't improve, and the actual news here is all good. It's also above-and-beyond what even the publisher was willing to do when it came to improvements over time as new hardware was released. An old game running at the same resolution it ever did isn't news, and if someone is bent out of shape about the improvements here, they just really want to argue.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a big Dark Souls 3 fan and someone who owns PS5 and XSX and owns the game for both, I was curious enough to load both games up (displayed on my 55 inch LG CX) and compare them directly back and forth in the same area.

I'm going to say something that may sound surprising, but if you are in the position to test it out you should do so as well so you can see for yourself.

But the game is better on Xbox now. Both have some shimmering (900p on xbox, 1080p on ps) but it's hard to tell a major difference really. But the HDR on the xbox version *is* a major difference. Going back to the PS5 it just looks dead and dull.

So, yeah. Just an FYI. The auto HDR makes a huge difference in this game, and if you have an XSX I would personally argue that this is the best console experience for this game now.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is everyone complaining about 900p thinking that Microsoft dropped the resolution to enable the 60 FPS or just mad that FROM is bad at tech? Pretty much all the console games FROM has made have had major issues outside of like, DS SotF2 because that was basically a 360/PS3 port up to XBO/PS4. As much as I love Bloodborne the big reason I want a PC version is because the FPS and frame pacing is absolute garbage. I straight up refused to play DS1 until the remaster because of bad console performance and an awful PC port that no matter what I did would just explode whenever fire effects popped up.

FPS Boost is cool as hell and Microsoft keeps winning with regards to backwards compat.

Even DS2 had framerate drops on Ps4/One. You only get fully locked 60fps on Pro/X.