ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You'd think they'd showcase their first-party future before taking potshots regarding who better manages the past.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested in how the HDR implementation will work and how they may account for problems in individual games. Their solution to the problems with the oneX were great. Hopefully the next gen feature set for BC will see the same care.
They won't.
Right now we don't even have confirmation for full backwards compatibility with PS4 settings out of the box without the games getting cleared for BC individually (something which is a given in Xbox's case), let alone going a step further and improving upon it by increasing resolution, target framerate and HDR support for non HDR games.

And historically speaking Son'y BC has never made changes to the rendering (except for those 100 or so PS2 games that came out with trophy support), whereas Microsoft has done it since Xbox 360 era where all XBOX games would get additional MSAA, and in this gen we had increased resolution for Xbox and 360 games.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like all our games will play better on Series X, which is fantastic, but the best part is they're even keeping the door open to adding additional games to the program again:

The team also continues to listen to feedback from the community on additional titles you would like to see added to the compatibility program. Resurrecting titles from history often presents a complex mix of technical and licensing challenges, but the team is committed to doing everything we can to continue to preserve our collective gaming legacy.

That's what I'd love to see. There's still so many 360 and original Xbox titles that deserve to be available to people today.

Last edited:

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Xbox BC Team are really confident and i am sure that they are true magicians

But that Xbox tweet was low blow against Sony and possible PS5 reveal in the next few days. Similar to those FUD articles by Windows Central.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it, nothing wrong with having a boost mode?

I don't think they're saying there's anything wrong with a boost mode, it's just a way to illustrate that you don't need 'modes' (whether 'boost' or 'legacy') if the games use the full power all of the time and, as far as consumers are concerned, it just works.

I think if there's a little dig at anything it's at messaging, not at the technology. I'd guess that they're taking a little stab at charts like this...

ps5-backwards-compatibility.jpg

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
As a guy who has always purchased Sony consoles (some Xbox and Nintendo, too), I have always been disappointed in how they have handled BC ever since the launch of PS4. It's a true shame that in order for us to play games from the past that we love, we have to go out of our way, while Microsoft is kicking ass and showing gamers that it doesn't have to be hard to have access to games of the past. Phil and the Xbox Team are impressing me more and more each day. Even though I will be nabbing the PS5 for the exclusives, the Xbox Series X is looking to be an amazing console with a lot of amazing features.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm buying this thing no matter what. The way back compat games run on X is amazing already, so I can't wait to see what Series X can do. Saving my pennies because I have two consoles to buy this year.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
That would make more sense, but is a bit confusing!

They'd want to be very confident of zero compatibility problems to dispose of some kind of 'legacy mode', even if it's not exposed to the user. No harm to keep it in your back pocket. But I guess the results they've seen so far are encouraging.

That's the distinction. Boost mode required user intervention and the results weren't guaranteed (it might work, it might break). They are promoting a system that from the user perspective just "works" and the system worries about how to make the game run properly and to what degree the experience can be enhanced.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
the current xbox BC team is giving the old Nintendo VC team a run for their money

Oct 25, 2017
We can say that about any announcement from any of the big three until we get hands-on.
Exactly. Not sure where I implied otherwise. Every generation is like this: promises get made pre-launch that don't always pan out. I'm not ready to get truly hyped on anything until we know more information on how it all actually runs.
when has Microsoft ever dissappointed when it came to BC and restoring games
I truly believe most of this will come to pass, but I'm just trying to not get too excited in case it doesn't go as planned. I'm simply staying cautious.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Not sure where I implied otherwise. Every generation is like this: promises get made pre-launch that don't always pan out. I'm not ready to get truly hyped on anything until we know more information on how it all actually runs.
Fair enough. Just seemed like a singling out. I get the sentiment, but you have to amp potential buyers up. In this case? I wouldn't doubt much of it happening as they claim. It's the one thing this generation they've been pretty damn reliable on.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
And yet Sony wont even manage to give us BC for PS1-PS3 games with limited support for PS4 BC... Applause to Xbox BC team. They are doing wonders. I will probably use Xbox One X as a multiplatform and backlog console.

teeargh

Oct 2, 2019
Is BC actually that a big of a deal for the masses though? I would love to know the stats of people playing older gen games on new hardware

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think they're saying there's anything wrong with a boost mode, it's just a way to illustrate that you don't need 'modes' (whether 'boost' or 'legacy') if the games use the full power all of the time and, as far as consumers are concerned, it just works.

I think if there's a little dig at anything it's at messaging, not at the technology. I'd guess that they're taking a little stab at charts like this...

ps5-backwards-compatibility.jpg
Oh I see

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Their preservation efforts are commendable.

What does this even mean lmao

It means that while this is really cool, I think they're missing the point of what a next-gen lead-up should be. Their last stream was pretty poorly received, and they should go for broke on first party stuff before they do anything else.

This is neat! But for 99% of customers, that's all it is.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
This is cool. Probably went but a series x at launch but I usually get the first revision so look forward to this.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
As someone who has not dabbled much into Xbox exclusives over their three generations, I am anxiously awaiting the Xbox Series X launch.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
It means that while this is really cool, I think they're missing the point of what a next-gen lead-up should be. Their last stream was pretty poorly received, and they should go for broke on first party stuff before they do anything else.

This is neat! But for 99% of customers, that's all it is.
But they announced that BC last year? They're just giving more details, it's not like it's a new feature (unlike the PS5).
They've even said when they'll have their big first party showcase.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. Just seemed like a singling out. I get the sentiment, but you have to amp potential buyers up. In this case? I wouldn't doubt much of it happening as they claim. It's the one thing this generation they've been pretty damn reliable on.
It's the only thing that they are continously reliable on which is pretty impressive but even than I wouldn't trust Xbox Marketing ever.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to share that, nice to see a thread was made. Super promising, and they've shown on X1 they really know what they're doing.
Looking forward to their next game additions!

Also:

Nice PR lol.

I see what they're trying to do, but the "no boost mode" can actually be interpreted as a negative?

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
a whole bunch of games are going to fit into the filter category of 120fps at launch for series X

We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30 fps to 60 fps or 60 fps to 120 fps.

mmmhmmmmm i likey

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Xbox BC team are fucking magicians, made my purchase of One X worth it alone to play all those xbox an some 360 games in 4k
Praise Eric Heutchy!

We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30 fps to 60 fps or 60 fps to 120 fps.

This blows my fucking mind along side 4K XBOX OG and 360 titles.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is great news. So its upgrading games at a system level? I wonder if that means that publishers intent on selling remasters will back out

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Look at the difference, hey fanboys of each system, its okay to criticize your favorite company its okay to expect a better product. Xbox One was garbage and we complained and voted with are wallets so its better now. Stop defending every little silly decision from Sony and Nintendo so I can have a better Switch 2 and PS5 please. Same goes for MS, keep going at them when they do something wrong.