• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like whatever they come out with will never please everyone. You've got some people who want the old school style, some people who love the new gameplay, some people who want it to further evolve. That's just for gameplay mechanics... then you've got people who want certain directions with story, certain directions with multiplayer types., etc. I'm personally confident, as I've adored the gameplay of Halo 5 and while didn't love the story, I have faith it'll be markedly better this time around, judging by what little we've seen. Here's hoping!

Not to mention, as soon as I see the words Fable, that's all I will need to convince me to buy an Xbox Series X... lol!

You could sell it to the mainstream with a battle royale, as much as I am not a fan of it overall Halo could work with that model. PC and console groups would love 150 players drop on a Halo Ring and fight to the end.

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
You could sell it to the mainstream with a battle royale, as much as I am not a fan of it overall Halo could work with that model. PC and console groups would love 150 players drop on a Halo Ring and fight to the end.
Yeah I was never into battle royale (until the recent COD Warzone) but I do agree it could work with Halo. I think they should definitely take a shot at a large population mode of that ilk. The Halo universe just suits it so well and gives it a nice spin with all the unique vehicles, characters, weapons, environments, and general game style. Really eager to see what kind of ideas they have!

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm eager to see some games with "surprising" new lod. The Witcher 2 and battlefield 1 are examples where not only resolution and fps was better but also lod.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the no boost mode / downclocking claim other than a shot at Playstation 5.

It doesn't sound like every game will automatically run better. If the game was designed with unlocked frame rates and dynamic resolutions they will automatically see benefits (is this not "boost mode"?), but a lot of games that were locked to a specific frame rate and resolution won't automatically be able to run better? (Would the XSX not be downclocking itself to run those games?).

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
glad to see they're planning to get started on bringing in more classic games, presumably after the launch window has settled down and they can spare resources.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the no boost mode / downclocking claim other than a shot at Playstation 5.

It doesn't sound like every game will automatically run better. If the game was designed with unlocked frame rates and dynamic resolutions they will automatically see benefits (is this not "boost mode"?), but a lot of games that were locked to a specific frame rate and resolution won't automatically be able to run better? (Would the XSX not be downclocking itself to run those games?).
The BC team makes improvements to games themselves. This probably means that instead of a universal boost mode, some games that are locked to 30 will be hand tuned to take advantage of the new hardware (e.g. Sunset Overdrive, it doesn't have an 1X patch but I could see them giving it the XSX treatment of upping the res to 4K and going for 60fps or 120fps)

Dec 8, 2018
Not to be rude, but you just come across like you want people to praise PS? Gamepass is a much better service than PSnow, and Xbox BC at this time appears markedly better than PS... Not sure what you're trying to say, but clearly OP is using each platform's biggest strengths as their pros. Not just any old "feature". In that sense, this list is quite accurate, give or take a couple more things (Xbox is the more powerful system, PS+ has better game offerings, etc)

Not to mention library and friends tied to a platform has nothing to do with either platform and is entirely personal...

I don't care one bit what console people pick and never said PS offers were better but that post made it sound like those things are exclusive to Xbox when in reality PS5 will be offering the same things and it's up to people to decide what service is better.

When he brings up that BC is a one of the major points of picking a system it's kind of important to own those games on that platform or you would have a far better experience regardless staying on the platform you are currently on unless you are willing to pay for the same games again.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

No, the Series X doesn't have to downclock to run games that are locked to something like 1080/30. The entire console is available at all times, no downclocks, no CUs disabled. Those games will by pegged at whatever their limit was. Games that get the update from the Xbox BC team will then use that additional power to up resolution/framerate.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

No, the XSX doesn't downclock. It runs all games through a virtualization layer rather than altering hardware config like clocks or active CUs to match older systems. Every BC game on Xbox gets anisotropic filtering, auto HDR, and more stable framerates/dynamic resolution automatically. For PS5, any games that have to run in a legacy mode will (according to what we know so far) not get benefits outside of faster loading when installed to SSD, because that is the classic "behave like the old console" model of BC.

*There's actually a caveat on this which is that the XB1X was described the same way but DOES do some hardware config changes for XB1S "BC" mode...
But not in the sense of trying to 1:1 match an older system.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Please, everyone that I am replying too: I am quoting specific things to reply to within your comments, and me not replying to something you said means I agree with you on that point.

It's all love from my point. Don't mean to derail or anything, but actually have a constructive discussion on the matter.

One difference I think you're ignoring is that XSX will run ALL Xbox One games. PS5 will only run whichever PS4 games they end up deciding to upgrade

I am definitely not ignoring anything like that. I am well aware of what has been said.

So yes not all games will run, however just like the PS5, the majority will.

All games will be enhanced (as they are today) with anisotropic filtering, more stable framerates and dynamic resolutions, and auto HDR if they didn't support HDR originally.

They wont be. The article quite literally says that some games will run as they were, some will see improvements (if the team chose so in their list of handpicked games)

This is incorrect. All games receive performance improvements. Most games are just locked to 30 or 60fps (this is the peak performance they are referring to) and for select titles they may be able to override this and double the framerate

So basically the same things as PS5's enhanced mode...

If we take a game running at 40 FPS on current gen consoles, then this means it will run at the cap (60FPS presumably) all the time while it depends on the mode the game uses on PS5. If it uses PS5 mode, then the same applies. However if it's using one of the legacy modes it'll still run at 40FPS.

Hmm ok, I understand what you are saying and that makes sense to me. If that is the case, that's a fair point to critique.
But I would like to counter that argument with the PS4 PRO. In particular this Digital Foundry video:

Basically, games without a PRO patch, still run better on the PRO compared to a base PS4. So would the same not apply to PS5 aswell then?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I want to play Lost Odyssey 4K 60 without the obnoxious load times. Please happen!

This game not being given a XB1X update was a farce.
We need this game at 4K ASAP.

That Cutscene to Gameplay transition at the start of the game was absolutely insane the first time I saw it....I need to see that at 4K.
Call Mistwalker and rerender out the cutscenes at 4K too.....with Redshift today that could probably be rerendered out in a weekend.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The majority of games don't run locked at their framerates, so Xbox One games running at 30 or 60fps capped will run close to or locked 30 or 60fps at all times on XSX. Obviously games already running locked at their framerate cap won't benefit in that regard unless they're one of the select games that have been enhanded to increase resolution and/or framerates beyond their cap by the BC team.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm ok, I understand what you are saying and that makes sense to me. If that is the case, that's a fair point to critique.
But I would like to counter that argument with the PS4 PRO. In particular this Digital Foundry video:

Basically, games without a PRO patch, still run better on the PRO compared to a base PS4. So would the same not apply to PS5 aswell then?

That's using the Boost Mode, meaning the PS4 game code is being run by the GPU at higher clocks with 1/2 of the CUs enabled. The Pro patch means it opens up the full GPU and runs at the higher clocks giving it full access to the increased resources, and in most cases means they've added something to the game or upped the resolution which could negatively impact performance vs running the game in Boost Mode which is the base PS4 code being run on more resources.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just want to know whether I can expect new BC games and enhancements added to the Xbox One X. I hate that they stopped it. I have original and 360 games I want to play without needing to hook up the old hardware.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
They wont be. The article quite literally says that some games will run as they were, some will see improvements (if the team chose so in their list of handpicked games)

You're confusing automatic enhancements with optional enhancements.

These are automatic enhancements today, on XB1:
- anisotropic filtering
- more stable framerate or improve dynamic resolution, where applicable
- resolution boost for OG Xbox games (1280x960 for XB1S, 2560x1920 on XB1X)

Then we've heard there are new automatic enhancements coming with XSX:
- HDR for games that don't support it natively

In addition, games can optionally be enhanced with other improvements like higher-resolution textures, "hand-crafted" HDR implementation, higher framerate modes, etc. This is what "Xbox One X enhanced" means.

There are new optional/selective improvements coming with XSX. We don't know how widely these will be implemented.
- Higher framerate modes
- Resolution boost for 360 games
- (From what I've read in this thread, it's possible auto-HDR actually goes here if there are some games that it would degrade due to unusual color patterns/usage)

If you're saying that not every game is automatically enhanced, then you're either saying that XSX will not match the existing BC implementation, or that these automatic enhancements will not apply to Xbox One games. I assume you mean the second? By my read of the article, Xbox One games will at least benefit from more stable framerates and dynamic resolutions automatically, since this is the entire point of the Xbox system's virtualized approach to backward compatibility.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
That's using the Boost Mode, meaning the PS4 game code is being run by the GPU at higher clocks with 1/2 of the CUs enabled. The Pro patch means it opens up the full GPU and runs at the higher clocks giving it full access to the increased resources, and in most cases means they've added something to the game or upped the resolution which could negatively impact performance vs running the game in Boost Mode which is the base PS4 code being run on more resources.

Got that. But what stops the PS5 of using that (leaving it upto the user to choose legacy mode/ boost mode)?

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think we know yet.

Will this be a automatic option? Like how Xbox One S doesn't give Xbox 360 games a resolution boost, but Xbox One X does? Or a optional setting for games? Or only on select titles?

Hopefully we find out more at the June event.

Looking at some videos of Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 running on the One X tho, both look great. 120 FPS would be cool.

I got about a third of the way through NG 1 on XOX when the 4K "patch" was announced. Game runs and looks beautiful - it truly stands up with the best of the character action games of this gen. It's fantastic.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Got that. But what stops the PS5 of using that (upto the user to choose legacy mode/ enhanced mode)?

Sony seems to be whitelisting what games will work with PS5 boost based on them testing games with it since the increased speeds across the board can create compatibility issues.

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
I don't care one bit what console people pick and never said PS offers were better but that post made it sound like those things are exclusive to Xbox when in reality PS5 will be offering the same things and it's up to people to decide what service is better.

When he brings up that BC is a one of the major points of picking a system it's kind of important to own those games on that platform or you would have a far better experience regardless staying on the platform you are currently on unless you are willing to pay for the same games again.
Very true, you're right, it matters what system you're coming from, but I don't think his post was as poorly intentioned as you seem to believe. XSX backwards compatibility is just objectively better right now. It covers all four Xbox generations, all Xbox One games, and includes enhancements and boosts for eligible games. Sony just doesn't offer anything similar that we know of yet.

Also, we're kidding ourselves if we think PSNow competes with Game Pass yet. His list is just the best parts of each product, not simply what they offer, as I already mentioned.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
idk man it seems really weird to interpret the tiniest little thing of "here's how we differ from our competitor's approach" (without even directly calling said competitor out) as a vastly uncouth jab.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Cool. It doesn't really sell me on an XSX immediately, but it is great to know I can get rid of my X1X when I decide to upgrade.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
If you're saying that not every game is automatically enhanced, then you're either saying that XSX will not match the existing BC implementation, or that these automatic enhancements will not apply to Xbox One games. I assume you mean the second? By my read of the article, Xbox One games will at least benefit from more stable framerates and dynamic resolutions automatically, since this is the entire point of the Xbox system's virtualized approach to backward compatibility.

I honestly am not trying to dismiss anything being said and done. It's fantastic, and much better in every regard what we know so far about PS5.

But the following quote really does imply to me that it does not enhance all the games. It's a game to game basis.

"Beginning with Xbox One X, the compatibility team developed brand new innovations that could be applied to a hand curated list of titles to enhance them even further than what was possible when they were first created. Techniques such as the Heutchy method, which enables titles to render with increased resolutions up to 4K, or applying anisotropic filtering to improve the final image quality bring these classic games up to modern standards, better than ever before."

This to me implies, a certain (maybe large) number of games receiving enhancements.

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of games don't run locked at their framerates, so Xbox One games running at 30 or 60fps capped will run close to or locked 30 or 60fps at all times on XSX. Obviously games already running locked at their framerate cap won't benefit in that regard unless they're one of the select games that have been enhanded to increase resolution and/or framerates beyond their cap by the BC team.

Okay that's good to know I guess I wasn't sure how many games run locked frame rates thought it would be a good amount but maybe not.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Selling a digital copy of an old game makes them as much as selling a digital copy of a new game

30% of 4,99 isn't the same as 30% of 59,99.

They don't want to create their own competition.

That's the same reason some publishers like EA don't care about remasters in a bigger way. They don't want to sell you their old games if they can't squeeze more money from you while you're playing. A Dead Space 1 and 2 remake would net them what? 40$? 60$ tops. And while you're playing that you can't even give them more money in form of mtcs or dlcs. No, they want you playing their newest game and get as much money from you until they give you their next big game and it starts again.

They don't want to create their own competition. The user only has so much time and money to give.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
I get that some people thinking no boost mode gives rather mixed responses. It's basically like this:

PS5 Boost mode on PS4 games: Cheap/limited way to enhance most PS4 games, hence boost mode.
Series X BC support on OG/360/X1: True enhancement to most games (HDR, 4k/8x, 60/120fps, and more).

Microsoft's not going for PS5 boost mode approach, that's basically what they're saying. I think.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I honestly am not trying to dismiss anything being said and done. It's fantastic, and much better in every regard what we know so far about PS5.

But the following quote really does imply to me that it does not enhance all the games. It's a game to game basis.

"Beginning with Xbox One X, the compatibility team developed brand new innovations that could be applied to a hand curated list of titles to enhance them even further than what was possible when they were first created. Techniques such as the Heutchy method, which enables titles to render with increased resolutions up to 4K, or applying anisotropic filtering to improve the final image quality bring these classic games up to modern standards, better than ever before."

This to me implies, a certain (maybe large) number of games receiving enhancements.

No worries, I didn't take anything you said as dismissive. This is legitimately confusing.

What you quote is about optional "Xbox One X Enhanced" titles only. At least by my read, it seems clear. I expect there to be additional "XSX Enhanced" titles as well that go beyond existing XB1X enhancements, which will be a minority of games.

But we're talking about automatic enhancements here, not optional ones. Put it this way: yes, it's possible that an Xbox 1 title which already has a locked framerate, locked resolution, good anisotropic filtering, and HDR would not receive any benefits automatically. But that's not because the XSX isn't, in a sense, "trying" to enhance it by applying more power when running the game. It's just that the game doesn't have any faults to automatically paper over :)

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I was contemplating waiting on the series x but their BC team is incredible. I need a price so I can sell my One X