• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought I saw some folk talking about having issues downloading the Asian FFXIII because of the new update, but I could be mistaken.
That is an issue. The Japanese FFXIII (Ultimate Hits International Version) no longer works on non Japanese accounts. I still had my downloaded and tried playing since they updated the store and it no longer works but that's likely because it's a completely different sku that had no Western version than the regular FFXIII version.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
LOL

Hence me saying specifically "AND need to be downloaded from Xbox's server to get the game wrapped in a software emulator needs Publishers to sign off on"
Sure, I was just making the distinction that both physical hardware based emulation or purely software based emulation, or something in-between the two, would still require publisher approval if it was based on the game code being redistributed by Microsoft.

I'm actually curious if Microsoft would agree to make an Xbox One game not available on Xbox Series X if a publisher specifically requested it, especially if they had a next gen remaster on the way.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
That is an issue. The Japanese FFXIII (Ultimate Hits International Version) no longer works on non Japanese accounts. I still had my downloaded and tried playing since they updated the store and it no longer works but that's likely because it's a completely different sku that had no Western version than the regular FFXIII version.

Gotcha, thanks.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sure, I was just making the distinction that both physical hardware based emulation or purely software based emulation, or something in-between the two, would still require publisher approval if it was based on the game code being redistributed by Microsoft.

I'm actually curious if Microsoft would agree to make an Xbox One game not available on Xbox Series X if a publisher specifically requested it, especially if they had a next gen remaster on the way.
Yeah. When we're talking here, we need to make it distinct that the Xbox One/Series BC is a new style of BC.

They're recompiled executables made for the new OS. It's not running anything off of the disc. But for literally all other BC ever made, yes, it's native and no rights are needed.

The only 'exception' would be the Vita blocking the NOW-Activison-held IPs of PS1 Spyro and Crash games from running on the Vita for whatever stupid, fucked-up, moronic, greedy reason. But that's Activision we're talking about. They threatened Sony during the early PS3 days to stop making any more Playstation games if they let Harmonix publish a patch to make the Activision Guitar Hero guitars work with Rock Band. (While that was already mandated and worked fine on the Xbox 360) So Activision likes to be threatening beyond what's legal.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020

I'd be very surprised if MS don't have the same rule here as Sony. E.g. To pass certification after a certain date your game has to run in on Series X.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So fucking hyped for HDR on all backwards compatible games!!! Incredible, can't wait for my series X

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to buy games from other regions from the new (Xbox One/Microsoft) store all you need is money on your account of that currency (your CC won't work). It will redeem to your account and be downloadable with no workarounds needed.

So if I have like idk $2 on my account, and I add some euros from Amazon.de via a xbox gift card, it would be a separate amount somehow? And I could use that on the German xbox store?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think publishers have to agree to anything, if the BC is handled by reading the disc and playing straight from it. There's no way that Sony got the permission from every single PS1 publisher to play their games via disc on the PS3. Very unlikely to happen though.

This is different. Xbox One BC does not read from the disk. It only validates from disk and then downloads a file from the Microsoft store. Microsoft must have permission from publishers in order to do this, which is why you typically will not see a delisted game get added to BC, even if it was popular. Or you won't see it if a publisher is making a remaster and doesn't want it. So for example, don't ever expect to see Bulletstorm on BC, because it was already remastered.

PS3 reading PS1 disks, there is no file transfer from servers happening. It is just reading a disk.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm not sure if they are whitelisted, but the same as before they have separate profiles for games.
I think there are just about 63 games that are currently out there for the home tests that are happening about the moment

Wait, when you say 63 games, do you mean 63 new games being tested or 63 enhancements to existing backwards compatible titles or a mix of both?

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish they go and tinker with some of the 900p games from the 8th gen, even if they leave the 30fps lock as is. Would love to play these in a crisper resolution.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Sunset Overdrive
Batman Arkham Knight
Modern Warfare Remastered

And maybe do 60fps for some of the already-4K games, Skyrim remastered and Fallout 4 especially would be lovely ☺️

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I really wish they go and tinker with some of the 900p games from the 8th gen, even if they leave the 30fps lock as is. Would love to play these in a crisper resolution.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Sunset Overdrive
Batman Arkham Knight

And maybe do 60fps for some of the already-4K games, Skyrim remastered and Fallout 4 especially would be lovely ☺
Ryse needs to be in there and probably Dead Rising 3.

I personally would like FH2 revamped as well. I feel like it has the best sky of any of the games from this gen.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
It might be possible to play Division 1 w/ HDR, 4K @60 FPS? I've been not he fence about Series X but this has me reconsidering.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Sunset Overdrive
Batman Arkham Knight

And maybe do 60fps for some of the already-4K games, Skyrim remastered and Fallout 4 especially would be lovely ☺
They've already confirmed that they will increase the resolution to select games from this generation. We just don't know what games yet.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope what Sony does in response is basic backward compatibility approach without the need to download the whole game with enhancements when you pop in the disc. I prefer original base level game code to run.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
FH4 is going to look insanely good on XSX

EffATg-XkAAr1Pd

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I hope what Sony does in response is basic backward compatibility approach without the need to download the whole game with enhancements when you pop in the disc. I prefer original base level game code to run.
Well 360 and Xbox OG BC wouldn't work any other way. We don't know yet, if we need to download the full game again with Xbox One games iirc.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interested to see if there will be any enhancements to the MCC on Xbox One, other than inevitably adding Halo 5.

I'm enjoying playing through all the campaigns on my One S, but the performance is disgusting.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interested to see if there will be any enhancements to the MCC on Xbox One, other than inevitably adding Halo 5.

I'm enjoying playing through all the campaigns on my One S, but the performance is disgusting.
I don't think Halo 5 will get added to MCC. The undertaking it would take just wouldn't be worth it and the MCC plays fine on the One X at 4k.60fps which will be locked on XSX. It will likely also benefit from improvements to BC games at the system level such as I suspect increased anisotropic filtering, faster loading, and other benefits that haven't been revealed yet.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Halo 5 will get added to MCC. The undertaking it would take just wouldn't be worth it and the MCC plays fine on the One X at 4k.60fps which will be locked on XSX. It will likely also benefit from improvements to BC games at the system level such as I suspect increased anisotropic filtering, faster loading, and other benefits that haven't been revealed yet.
Still not on PC though I feel like they might add it

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020

Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Sunset Overdrive
Batman Arkham Knight

Well, I think that Arkham Knight and Cod Modern Warfare both have a pretty good chance of being enhanced, seeing as how Arkham Knight runs on UE3 and there are already many UE3 games enhanced on Xbox One X (literally most of them are UE3) and Modern Warfare is likely simply because of how many COD games there are all using the same engine (plus Doom 3 and Quake 4) so assuming that whatever part of the engine handles resolution stayed mostly constant (allowing the same technique to work) then I could see it happening.

Deus Ex and Sunset Overdrive both use different proprietary engines though, so who knows if the BC team will be able to boost those resolutions or if they will even try to

Apr 30, 2019
As someone who just bouhght a 144hz monitor for the first time to go with my Series X, I hope they double a ton of previously 60fps games to 120fps!

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I just downloaded BF 1943 out of the blue. It's locked to 30. It could really use some FPS-raising magic (and a res boost, too).

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just downloaded BF 1943 out of the blue. It's locked to 30. It could really use some FPS-raising magic (and a res boost, too).
We still don't if the BC team's doubling the framerate technique will work on 360/OG Xbox games yet as Fallout 4 has been the only example they've showed so far.

Here's hoping.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
We still don't if the BC team's doubling the framerate technique will work on 360/OG Xbox games yet as Fallout 4 has been the only example they've showed so far.

Here's hoping.
Yeah, good point. I realize what I'm wishing for is slim-to-none. But I'll probably be super happy with whatever they do end up enhancing.