entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
actually the PC hardware market's numbers have decreased in the last in year in every market that have reported such data (at least the ones I'm aware of)
france:

uk
www.resetera.com

UK games market in 2023 +4.4%, Software sales (Console: physical -5% - digital +5.6%, PC: +4.5%), Hardware sales (console: +12% PC: -11%) YOY Sales

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/uk-games-market-grew-44-to-782bn-in-2023 The figures UK games consumer market value: £7.82 billion (+4.4% year-on-year) Software sales: £5.18 billion (+4.1% year-on-year) Hardware sales: £2.22 billion (+2.1% year-on-year) Revenue from film, TV, and soundtracks...

german
www.resetera.com

German games market grew by 6% to around 9.97 billion euros in 2023

"The German games market once again grew significantly overall in 2023: sales of games, games hardware and gaming online services rose by 6 per cent to around 9.97 billion euros. This is a significant increase after sales had only risen by 1 per cent in the previous year. The biggest growth...

Thanks for the links!

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
What's the deal with that one outlier? Does everyone get blackout drunk on their 21st birthday and buy a Switch?
Looks like people just choose 20, 25, 30, 35 etc and not their actual age, or that the data was compiled from multiple sources and one source just had ranges like 21-25, 26-30 etc and they put them all in the 21, 26, 31... buckets

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Anything to back this up?
6qhv0o.jpg
No.
gameworldobserver.com

Jim Ryan says Microsoft offered to only keep older Activision games on PlayStation, explains his stance on blocking merger | Game World Observer

The third day of the FTC v. Microsoft hearing featured pre-recorded testimony from Sony Interactive Entertainment boss Jim Ryan. Here is what he had to say about the Activision Blizzard deal and its potential impact on the PlayStation platform.

According to Ryan, Microsoft Gaming head Phil Spencer last year sent him a list of games that would remain on PlayStation if the Activision Blizzard deal closed. It appears that it only included older titles — e.g. Overwatch 1, not Overwatch 2, and no Diablo 4.

www.theverge.com

Sony’s PlayStation chief privately said Microsoft’s Activision deal wasn’t about Xbox exclusives

A surprise revelation just minutes into the FTC v. Microsoft hearing.

Microsoft initially offered Call of Duty on PlayStation for three years after the current agreement between Activision and Sony ends. Ryan called that offer "inadequate on many levels." Microsoft eventually offered Sony a 10-year deal for Call of Duty on PlayStation, but the company has refused to sign this so far.

There's your receipts (delayed because I've been on holiday).

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's your receipts (delayed because I've been on holiday).
Necro bump just to prove you're still wrong. Odd choice. This is what you said.

Spencer wanted everything to be exclusive, even COD (after a few years), Overwatch 2 and Diablo IV. He got overruled and is no longer calling the shots.
Nothing in that article says anything about COD being exclusive. During the hearing, it was revealed that Microsoft never considered making it exclusive. There were no emails asking for it or any analysis done saying that they should. The amount of years they offered were industry standard and companies do that so they can renegotiate in the future.

Second, that article mentions nothing about OW2 or D4 being considered as exclusives since they were already announced or available for other consoles.

Third, I have no idea what that website is, but Jim Ryan also lied/embellished during his testimony about Sony being unable to compete without COD despite their commanding lead in console sales and billions in annual revenue.

Finally, that article mentions nothing about Spencer being "overruled" about a decision on exclusivity that they chose not to pursue.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Necro bump just to prove you're still wrong. Odd choice. This is what you said.

Nothing in that article says anything about COD being exclusive. During the hearing, it was revealed that Microsoft never considered making it exclusive. There were no emails asking for it or any analysis done saying that that should. The amount of years they offered were industry standard and companies do that so they can renegotiate in the future.

Second, that article mentions nothing about OW2 or D4 being considered as exclusives since they were already announced or available for other consoles.

Third, I have no idea what that website is, but Jim Ryan also lied/embellished during his testimony about Sony being unable to compete without COD despite their commanding lead in console sales and billions in annual revenue.

Finally, that article mentions nothing about Spencer being "overruled" about a decision on exclusivity that they chose not to pursue.

It's not a necro bump to post in a topic that was last posted in yesterday.

I posted two articles. It's well known that the initial COD deal was not for 10 years but for 3.

Are you claiming Jim Ryan committed perjury regarding OW2 and Diablo IV exclusivity?

Here's another article which mentions an email in which Spencer wanted Minecraft Dungeons to be exclusive:

FTC lawyer James Weingarten cited a 2019 chat in which Spencer agreed with an idea to keep then-upcoming Minecraft Dungeons off non-Xbox/PC platforms (but the game then did launch on non-Xbox/PC platforms).

I am not sure why you committed to denying that Spencer wanted to leverage acquisitions to gain exclusives when the evidence is there but you do you. If he was still calling the shots everything from ABK and Bethesda would be exclusive and there would not be a third party strategy: other people in Microsoft are pushing this.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a necro bump to post in a topic that was last posted in yesterday.

I posted two articles. It's well known that the initial COD deal was not for 10 years but for 3.

Are you claiming Jim Ryan committed perjury regarding OW2 and Diablo IV exclusivity?

Here's another article which mentions an email in which Spencer wanted Minecraft Dungeons to be exclusive:

I am not sure why you committed to denying that Spencer wanted to leverage acquisitions to gain exclusives when the evidence is there but you do you. If he was still calling the shots everything from ABK and Bethesda would be exclusive and there would not be a third party strategy: other people in Microsoft are pushing this.
You're equating Microsoft "only" offering a 3-year deal to exclusivity, which is based on nothing. Sony and ABK had 5-year marketing deals in place. If Microsoft wanted to renegotiate marketing rights, DLC, spin-offs, or whatever else, a 3-year deal would allow them to do that. Again, there was NOTHING presented by the FTC or anyone else that shows that Microsoft ever considered making COD exclusive.

And yes, I'd call Jim Ryan a liar. Or at least someone who says what he thinks he needs to say to get what he wants. He's the same guy that said he didn't want a deal with Microsoft and that he just wanted to block the merger. You can trust what a person like that says if you'd like. He's irrelevant in my book.

And you're moving the goal post now. We're talking about ABK, but fine. I'll bite. Minecraft Dungeons was multi-plat because, again, Microsoft doesn't acquire companies with big online communities and then restricts them to just their plastic box. They considered it and then decided that the damage it would do to their communities would be bad, and they decided against it. So where was Phil Spencer overruled, again?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
You're equating Microsoft "only" offering a 3-year deal to exclusivity, which is based on nothing. Sony and ABK had 5-year marketing deals in place. If Microsoft wanted to renegotiate marketing rights, DLC, spin-offs, or whatever else, a 3-year deal would allow them to do that. Again, there was NOTHING presented by the FTC or anyone else that shows that Microsoft ever considered making COD exclusive.

And yes, I'd call Jim Ryan a liar. Or at least someone who says what he thinks he needs to say to get what he wants. He's the same guy that said he didn't want a deal with Microsoft and that he just wanted to block the merger. You can trust what a person like that says if you'd like. He's irrelevant in my book.

And you're moving the goal post now. We're talking about ABK, but fine. I'll bite. Minecraft Dungeons was multi-plat because, again, Microsoft doesn't acquire companies with big online communities and then restricts them to just their plastic box. They considered it and then decided that the damage it would do to their communities would be bad, and they decided against it. So where was Phil Spencer overruled, again?
We have no idea what terms a contract extension would involve, nor if it would even be offered.

If you're going to accuse Ryan of perjury then I don't think there's a conversation to be had here.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have no idea what terms a contract extension would involve, nor if it would even be offered.

If you're going to accuse Ryan of perjury then I don't think there's a conversation to be had here.
So, you're not going to comment on the fact that 1) Microsoft never considered making COD exclusive like you claimed, 2) Jim Ryan willfully lied/embellished the importance of COD for PS to the FTC (and again with the EC), 3) Microsoft never stated that they wanted to make OW2 or Diablo 4 exclusive, and 4) Phil Spencer was never "overruled" about anything regarding exclusivity since he himself wanted games like Minecraft Dungeons everywhere.

With all of those inaccurate statements, no. I don't think there is a constructive conversation to be had here either.