• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
They haven't really released any games so far this year either have they? Be interesting to see how a stacked 2nd half goes

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
didn't expect content and services to be up even without activision considering there wasn't a terf game level of success on xbox this quarter (palworld maybe? but that was way cheaper and on game pass)

Hardware even worse than i was expecting oof
what did you expect? this is within their forecasts (and under what welfare was expecting, he expected a -40% drop)

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
They really did *have* to get that ATVI acquisition across the finish line by any means necessary, huh?

That hardware number is rough, though not as rough as some were forecasting (which is wild lol)

But the other numbers seem pretty good?

They haven't really released any games so far this year either have they? Be interesting to see how a stacked 2nd half goes
I'm still curious how many games they actually sell nowadays. What is the last first party game we even got sales figures for?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine that 1% would be a negative figure without the PS5/Switch ports: Sea of Thieves' 3 SKUs have been in the PSN top 10 pre-orders ever since they went up on March 8.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine when all those studious actually start pumping out games.. they may actually surpass windows revenue ..

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Hardware, while bad, is less bad than they expected and overall everything seems pretty good. They had zero major third-party or first party releases, Diablo didn't have game pass till the end of the quarter, and everything else was up. Next quarter they will have all the Fallout resurgence plus Sea of Thieves and Hellblade with the heavy hitters in the fall.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
A lot to like in those numbers, but that Xbox Hardware revenue is really bad.
I really wonder if we'll see an Xbox handheld soon. Or a new console in 2026. Something.

Even if new hardware comes along, is this the new normal? All-in on software due to owned publishers and being completely fine with declining Xbox hardware sales as console/PC/Clound/mobile blend together in the ecosystem....?

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
-31% hardware at this point is not good. We are not even halfway through the generation if it lasts until 2028 like the FTC leak suggested.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
Hardware, while bad, is less bad than they expected and overall everything seems pretty good. They had zero major third-party or first party releases, Diablo didn't have game pass till the end of the quarter, and everything else was up. Next quarter they will have all the Fallout resurgence plus Sea of Thieves and Hellblade with the heavy hitters in the fall.
I doubt Hellblade is going light the world on fire but Sea of Thieves will be big on Playstation.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Are there non-CoD heavy hitters? Nothing announced on the Xbox side seems likely to be very big.

CoD, Diablo/Wow Expansion, Indiana Jones, even Avowed on top of third party big games. If I'm Xbox I get a College Football Series S bundle going.

I doubt Hellblade is going light the world on fire but Sea of Thieves will be big on Playstation.

It's not going to be the biggest game but should have a decent PC presence and will naturally be bigger than the zero games they released this quarter

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
It will be very very fun to see what the hell would be their strategy to sell more than 1000 consoles in the next gen.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
A lot to like in those numbers, but that Xbox Hardware revenue is really bad.
I really wonder if we'll see an Xbox handheld soon. Or a new console in 2026. Something.

Even if new hardware comes along, is this the new normal? All-in on software due to owned publishers and being completely fine with declining Xbox hardware sales as console/PC/Clound/mobile blend together in the ecosystem....?
They're gonna shift further to multiplatform and slowly make the hardware obsolete, especially with the numbers being shown here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's clear they gave up on hardware - in its current form - when Phil suggested as much during the Redfall interview. Even going back to the beginning of the generation they weren't investing in third party exclusives, and they kept saying that hardware was only one piece of their strategy.

Given the current situation, I think they'll be speed-running their next hardware, whatever form that may take, console style PC, handheld, and/or otherwise. But aside from that, I still struggle to see their long term strategy. They didn't acquire all those studios just to become a third party publisher, but equally it's still years until cloud becomes truly viable as a platform and their hardware needed to bridge the gap given they can't rely on PC market alone where Valve continues to dominate.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Pretty stark dual narratives going on here between the success of Acti-Blizz and the sputtering of the old Xbox business. Odd position for them to be in. This is like when you finally scrounge up enough money to buy a new car, but don't sell your old one for sentimental purposes. Pretty quickly, the sentiment goes away and you just start driving the new car full time.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's clear they gave up on hardware - in its current form - when Phil suggested as much during the Redfall interview. Even going back to the beginning of the generation they weren't investing in third party exclusives, and they kept saying that hardware was only one piece of their strategy.

Given the current situation, I think they'll be speed-running their next hardware, whatever form that may take, console style PC, handheld, and/or otherwise. But aside from that, I still struggle to see their long term strategy. They didn't acquire all those studios just to become a third party publisher, but equally it's still years until cloud becomes truly viable as a platform and their hardware needed to bridge the gap given they can't rely on PC market alone where Valve continues to dominate.
Cloud wont ever become viable. Mobile gaming is getting strong enough to run full on console games. Pretty soon there will be little to no market for it.

MSs only option is to become a third party publisher, though they will try to keep hardware going for as long as it makes some sense. Gamepass needs it.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
"Up 62% including 61% from abk acquisition."
Jeez... is it possible to somehow compare abks results in isolation? (with pre-acq quarter.)

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Everything is up at the Xbox Division except hardware, which I'm sure Sarah Bonds and Phil know it'll be keep cratering. Don't know if an Xbox handheld, new Xbox refresh will make their hardware relevant anytime soon. Probably 1 more gen to prove themselves before Xbox goes full multi-platform software mode. Sad to see Xbox in this position, but surprised Phil and others haven't been given the boot, when revenue is only up due to the ABK merge, which TBH isn't something for Xbox to pat themselves in the back.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
Everything is up at the Xbox Division except hardware, which I'm sure Sarah Bonds and Phil know it'll be keep cratering. Don't know if an Xbox handheld, new Xbox refresh will make their hardware relevant anytime soon. Probably 1 more gen to prove themselves before Xbox goes full multi-platform software mode. Sad to see Xbox in this position, but surprised Phil and others haven't been given the boot, when revenue is only up due to the ABK merge, which TBH isn't something for Xbox to pat themselves in the back.
Who was responsible for that?

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Their current strategy won't increase Xbox sales no matter which studio they own. I think current leadership is well aware of this. I do have PC and I can access all of the Game Pass games including best Xbox first party titles. I don't need Xbox to play them. Now some of their games are going to rival platforms too. Reverting the hardware downhill would take a decade. They need to stop day and date PC releases and focus on more high quality exclusive content. This might not be that profitable for Xbox now.

I am gonna buy some Xbox games from Steam like Age of Mythology: Retold (Day 1), Clockwork Revolution, Gears 6 and Hellblade II to show what kind of games I want from Xbox. I already have Game Pass subscription. MS earns money from me and I don't even have Xbox. Now just imagine 100+ Million PS/Nintendo users too. I think their ultimate goal is going to third party. And with the massive IPs they own now, this would be best strategy.