• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 338 49.6%
  • No

Votes: 344 50.4%

• Total voters

Adilson

Jul 28, 2022
I doubt they confirm much besides what's in the key art (presumably something Fable-y but perhaps a tiny tease of something else). Unless there's a standalone Direct double bill of course, then they would confirm whatever that's for.

Usually they talk about some games on Xbox Wire that are confirmed for the showcase, right?!! I totally hope I have this this year, at least to kill some of my anxiety lol🤣🤣🤣

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
So SoT is yet another first party Xbox game that is better on PS5 at least on release. MS, fix this. It's embarrassing.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Usually they talk about some games on Xbox Wire that are confirmed for the showcase, right?!! I totally hope I have this this year, at least to kill some of my anxiety lol🤣🤣🤣
Not really. Last year they said Starfield would be shown because of the Starfield Direct, but beyond that they don't usually confirm what games will be there. For Developer Directs they do, but not showcases.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
So SoT is yet another first party Xbox game that is better on PS5 at least on release. MS, fix this. It's embarrassing.
Is anyone actually surprised? 💀 DF is feasting with these ps5 ports. Great content for them.

I agree, it is embarrassing. Sends the wrong message to your own customers. But every time it happens people handwave it because it's a minor difference. IMO that doesn't matter. Games shouldn't look worse on the home console. Controversial take I guess. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Me, back in February.

"I don't think the Pentiment thing is a big deal in isolation. Especially because of what kind of game it is.

However, there is a reason Microsoft keeps on stressing that their games will run "best" on Xbox; if it constitutes a pattern or is even perceived as such it will matter. Ghostwire Tokyo was delivered in a surprisingly poor state by the time it arrived on Xbox, but then a PS5 port of an Xbox game is delivered bug free (unlike the Xbox one).

Again, one game where it doesn't matter, but you can't even flirt with a making a habit out of this."

lol. lmao.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
It's going to be really funny when it turns out that the PS5 enhancements on Sea of Thieves are just Season 12 optimization enhancements and that the Series X is going to be the same.

But even if it isn't, I really doubt that anyone is actually going to care about the shadows being marginally better and draw distance being ever so slightly better

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be really funny when it turns out that the PS5 enhancements on Sea of Thieves are just Season 12 optimization enhancements and that the Series X is going to be the same.

But even if it isn't, I really doubt that anyone is actually going to care about the shadows being marginally better and draw distance being ever so slightly better

I cannot understand how someone would prefer sharp, pixelated shadows over natural, softer edges. Like, if you had the option to choose between the two in game options it's hard to imagine people choosing the more unnatural look.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022

I can't think of anything I care about less or that's worth getting outraged by 🤷🏻‍♂️

But to each their own.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I think the marginal differences between the Series X and PS5 versions is a bit overblown because you have to have a scrutinizing eye to notice them. Sure it's noticeable but they are virtually the same game. The Xbox having more teraflops also doesn't guarantee games are going to look and play best on that console. That's just not how game development works. It can certainly help, but it's not magical either.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
A game having its all-time peak 6 years after release is pretty funny. I can't recall this happening with any AAA game that had a high-profile launch.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
i don't really _care_ about these small, barely noticeable differences. i just find them really embarrassing for the platform and something that indicates sloppiness/lack of organization that should not be present at a first party platform holder.

it doesn't affect my enjoyment or how i buy stuff, it's just... wild, really. amateur stuff.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I think the marginal differences between the Series X and PS5 versions is a bit overblown because you have to have a scrutinizing eye to notice them. Sure it's noticeable but they are virtually the same game. The Xbox having more teraflops also doesn't guarantee games are going to look and play best on that console. That's just not how game development works. It can certainly help, but it's not magical either.
Exactly. If it doesn't make a material difference to the player, then it's not worth worrying about IMO.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I cannot understand how someone would prefer sharp, pixelated shadows over natural, softer edges.
I'll admit I haven't seen the SoT comparison but with Hi-Fi Rush I honestly could not see any kind of difference in the shadows in the DF video, the two images looked basically the exact same. Besides, it's not about preferences so much as it is about being anything worthwhile. Like, who cares that the shadows on the PS5 version of the game are 5% better than the Xbox Series X version?

I can't think of anything I care about less or that's worth getting outraged by 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah, same honestly. It's baffling to me that people actually care about it enough to bitch about it here. That being said, when I saw the thread here about it I did start chuckling because I knew this would happen so maybe I am part of the problem

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Baby steps. Before we even consider the idea the idea that teraflops guarantees better performance across the board or anything like that, we should find like a single example of one of those Microsoft ports that runs better on Xbox. Like, one game. Let's set realistic expectations for team green.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a bit overblown, it's WAY overblown. No one would know this if you didn't watch Digital Foundry. It's really crazy to give slightly better shadows on one console any of your time and thoughts. This game could have come out, been out for months, and then DF could have made a video and only then would people get upset.

If there were performance differences or major visual difference, ok fine get mad, but right now you're getting worried over something that functionally you would have never known (and are you even regularly playing these games now?) These are late ports with the equivalent of pushing a couple of ini file configurations up one.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Also, the game isn't actually out yet on PS5. All of the ports have got Xbox updates at the same time as the ports have released on PS. So let's just wait and see before jumping to conclusions with incomplete information.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Baby steps. Before we even consider the idea the idea that teraflops guarantees better performance across the board or anything like that, we should find like a single example of one of those Microsoft ports that runs better on Xbox. Like, one game. Let's set realistic expectations for team green.
Do we know if MLB the Show runs better or worse on PlayStation versus Xbox?

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
not sure of running better, but Grounded is a significantly better version on Xbox/PC because the shared worlds feature isn't on PS5/Switch IIRC. one point!

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Really anticipating more about South of Midnight, Avowed, Gears 6, and Fable. I don't think we will see Everwild anytime soon, I think it's in development hell. They should have a tremendous show though I hope they have their pipeline sorted so they don't have another 6 month gap.

So far as SoT, it's just par for the course. There is always a catch.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
i remember that leaked email of phil getting relief after the mark cerny ps5 specs.... and after all this marketing of series X being the most powerfull console ever.... and for years into this new console generation I think i wouldnt be wrong saying that PS5 have more third party games running better on ps5 than xbox series X does... and now we have sarah bond saying the next xbox is going to be the biggest generational leap a hardware console has ever seen... should I as xbox player believe that? how many times xbox is going to self inflict this kind of damage to the brand perception wise and marketing wise?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Fallout 76 is reaching new peaks is really cool to see. That game launched broken and the audiences at large kinda wrote it off for years. Nice to see the show is pushing people to give it a chance.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Really anticipating more about South of Midnight, Avowed, Gears 6, and Fable. I don't think we will see Everwild anytime soon, I think it's in development hell. They should have a tremendous show though I hope they have their pipeline sorted so they don't have another 6 month gap.
I don't think Everwild is in development hell (maybe it was in prior years but I don't think it is right now) but I do agree that we won't see it until next year.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
and for years into this new console generation I think i wouldnt be wrong saying that PS5 have more third party games running better on ps5 than xbox series X does
Surely that's because PS is often the lead platform and more time is being spent on optimisation for PS, rather than PS actually being more powerful?

Whether a given game runs better on PS or Xbox, the differences are usually very marginal.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
i remember that leaked email of phil getting relief after the mark cerny ps5 specs.... and after all this marketing of series X being the most powerfull console ever.... and for years into this new console generation I think i wouldnt be wrong saying that PS5 have more third party games running better on ps5 than xbox series X does... and now we have sarah bond saying the next xbox is going to be the biggest generational leap a hardware console has ever seen... should I as xbox player believe that? how many times xbox is going to self inflict this kind of damage to the brand perception wise and marketing wise?
When Microsoft can't even manage to get games running best on Xbox, there are 0 reason to care about any power claims from that company.

Last edited:

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
IMHO - it's not about if I personally care about these port differences being better on PS5 or not, it's that sales are in the shitter for Xbox consoles and Microsoft can't really afford to be embarrassing themselves like this with these ports. More bad press is the opposite of what they need right now.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
IMHO - it's not about if I personally care about these port differences being better on PS5 or not, it's that sales are in the shitter for Xbox consoles and Microsoft can't really afford to be embarrassing themselves like this with these ports. More bad press is the opposite of what they need right now.
But is it really "embarrassing" if you can't detect it without DF and the vast majority of people don't know and don't care?

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
But is it really "embarrassing" if you can't detect it without DF and the vast majority of people don't know and don't care?
I think so. The people that do know and care are going to talk to people who otherwise wouldn't and spread the word that Xbox is the inferior console. I don't think it's safe to assume that this isn't going to have any sort of negative impact on the brand just because you couldn't tell without DF pointing it out. They did point it out and now it's out there.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I think so. The people that do know and care are going to talk to people who otherwise wouldn't and spread the word that Xbox is the inferior console. I don't think it's safe to assume that this isn't going to have any sort of negative impact on the brand just because you couldn't tell without DF pointing it out. They did point it out and now it's out there.
I really don't believe there's enough people out there who care about marginal differences between the platforms and who would go out of their way to evangelise one or the other for it to have an actual material difference on console sales or game player bases. But fair enough if you believe that.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Am I forcing Microsoft executives to make claims about how powerful their console is compared to the competition? Am I twisting their arms to make ports where this is never demonstrated?
Microsoft executives themselves touted the power of their system as one of the selling points in the first place, fuelling this whole console spec war nonsense thats been going on the past few years. They brought this controversy onto themselves by flexing their hardware spec sheets first and foremost and even claimed it was "the most powerful console" they ever built. Next time they should just focus on the software and how the hardware complements their games. That's what Sony did with the PS5.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
When Microsoft can't even manage to get games running on Xbox, there are 0 reason to care about any power claims from that company.
Agreed. Makes me doubtful when I think of Sarah's comments about the technological advancements in the next Xbox. I remember mesh shaders, Full RDNA, etc. My guess is it's all about AI and machine learning which would be true since it would be a massive update compared to the current level of AI dedicated hardware

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
I really don't believe there's enough people out there who care about marginal differences between the platforms and who would go out of their way to evangelise one or the other. But fair enough if you believe that.
Anecdotal, but it's what I'm hearing come out of my 14yo niece and nephew's mouths about what they hear about at school. It's not really that their friends are evangelizing, it's just that there's a lot of 'Xbox sucks' talk out there in the gen pop. Once one of the popular YouTubers jump on something it spreads like wildfire.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I guess Tim Stuart did say that games will be "first or best" on the Xbox ecosystem. Key word: "or".

Maybe some day you'll see Xbox get the better version, when the game releases on PS5 first lmao.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I don't think Everwild is in development hell (maybe it was in prior years but I don't think it is right now) but I do agree that we won't see it until next year.
That would be great. Last I heard they weren't sure how to make it work without combat. Have we heard any updates on their new direction? I assume we are waiting for the next showing to understand the direction of the game.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I really don't believe there's enough people out there who care about marginal differences between the platforms and who would go out of their way to evangelise one or the other for it to have an actual material difference on console sales or game player bases. But fair enough if you believe that.

yeah their aren't, as the same people see all the 3rd party ports on xbox be marginally better and also know it means nothing really, and vice-versa.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
That would be great. Last I heard they weren't sure how to make it work without combat. Have we heard any updates on their new direction? I assume we are waiting for the next showing to understand the direction of the game.
That was a few years ago so I would expect they've figured that all out by now. Obviously I'm just assuming though.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Literally no one cares about this.