• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 357 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 344 49.1%

• Total voters

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
What keeps publishers from putting games they have on Steam on the Windows/Xbox PC store, do they just think it won't sell there? I've been getting an itch to play through Gabriel Knight again, would love to be able to earn some (Xbox) achievements while doing so - but looks like the game isn't available there.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
League of Legends has a LOT of characterization, tons of Lore. There is very little in Arcane that is made up or has never been touched before.

Thats not what I said. Outside of the characters/world, there isnt anything in Arcane that makes you go "yep, just like the game." Its a great character driven story in a world originated from a MOBA. Its not a great adaptation of said MOBA.

FO is its own story in the world of a game while also being a good adaptation of the games themselves. Thats my point and why I can see many saying FO is the better adaptation.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
What keeps publishers from putting games they have on Steam on the Windows/Xbox PC store, do they just think it won't sell there? I've been getting an itch to play through Gabriel Knight again, would love to be able to earn some (Xbox) achievements while doing so - but looks like the game isn't available there.
It's another platform/packaging service to support which isn't a trivial amount of work.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Ah okay, I'm not a dev so I don't know anything about that. Xbox achievements being work to implement I get, I just assumed getting the game on another storefront was relatively easy though.
You have to have a dev account with Microsoft which a team may not have, then use the gdk to package up the app and manifest file and create the store page, etc, etc. Not to mention any platform specific stuff like supporting Xbox achievements, cloud saves, play anywhere, etc. Then when you patch and qa a game you will have to do so on both PC + Steam which adds some complexity. Not that it's like, gruelling work. It's just an extra cost/time association that some smaller teams may not have. I think Microsoft has done some work here to try to make it easier for teams porting to Windows Store / Xbox as one unified code base (see: Unity 6 changes I shared the other day).

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
if the target is 60fps then I might be able to play it medium/1440p...........nice
I am going to assume these specs are native resolution + 30 FPS. As the bottom says higher framerates/res can be achieved with upscaling/interpolation. My system is about what the Very High calls for so I'm optimistic I can hit 1440p60+ at least if that's the 4K target.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of gaming indecision I have right now is insane: I want to play…

FO4 Far Harbor
New Vegas on Steam Deck
Continue leveling in FO76
Play Jedi Survivor
Continue Another Crab's Treasure
Finish AC Mirage
Starfield is calling me back with the update hype…
Finish my long-paused HB1 play through

It's out of control lol, truly not enough time in the day.

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
I am going to assume these specs are native resolution + 30 FPS. As the bottom says higher framerates/res can be achieved with upscaling/interpolation. My system is about what the Very High calls for so I'm optimistic I can hit 1440p60+ at least if that's the 4K target.
I've got a CPU in the very high range, but a 6600 XT (so basically a 5700 XT) - so I'm expecting probably 30fps at 1080p, I may as well just play on the Series X.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
The amount of gaming indecision I have right now is insane: I want to play…

FO4 Far Harbor
New Vegas on Steam Deck
Continue leveling in FO76
Play Jedi Survivor
Continue Another Crab's Treasure
Finish AC Mirage
Starfield is calling me back with the update hype…
Finish my long-paused HB1 play through

It's out of control lol, truly not enough time in the day.

I hear you lol, and GP keeps adding...

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Just because you don't see the marketing doesn't mean the marketing doesn't exist.

I don't think this is what any of us have ever suggested. But it's obvious they're not spending anywhere near the amount Nintendo or Sony are spending (at least in Europe, I guess) and it's reflected in the overall sales numbers.

Mass-market numbers require mass-market advertising.

mecaguendeu

Oct 16, 2019
Just because you don't see the marketing doesn't mean the marketing doesn't exist.

If me, my friends or any people walking in the streets, watching the tv, surfing the net (even some of the big video games oriented sites) or in a mall can't see anything, marketing doesn't exist indeed. I don't know if people outside these countries think that we're joking when we tell you that Xbox is inexistent here. It is because because things like these.

Just use a VPN without ad block 😃

🤣

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I don't think this is what any of us have ever suggested. But it's obvious they're not spending anywhere near the amount Nintendo or Sony are spending (at least in Europe, I guess) and it's reflected in the overall sales numbers.

Mass-market numbers require mass-market advertising.
The more they spend on marketing, the more the game needs to sell to make a return on investment, and that becomes extra tricky if they spend loads on marketing and then the game doesn't sell much better as a result.

It's not as simple as just more marketing = more sales. They have to balance return on investment.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
The more they spend on marketing, the more the game needs to sell to make a return on investment, and that becomes extra tricky if they spend loads on marketing and then the game doesn't sell much better as a result.

It's not as simple as just more marketing = more sales. They have to balance return on investment.

But it's not about that one game. Heck I don't even think this is the right game to push, previous Hellblade was still a bit niche and I never see it reach Starfield/FH numbers.

It should be a marketing campaign that's equally about the game, and equally about the consoles and/or Game Pass.

Like I said, the last one I physically saw was a Series S campaign marketed with both FH5 and Halo Infinite. This is the kind of thing that makes sense to me.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
I think we personally shouldn't care about advertising at all, but perception was largely reality. I don't know what it's like now, but 2-3 years ago Microsoft accounted for about 15% of tv ad spending by console makers.

Which might be the right decision for all I know, but it's one of those cases where the impression of Microsoft was right on the money.

Edit: and that's just in their US home market, iirc. God knows what difference was globally.

Last edited:

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
But it's not about that one game. Heck I don't even think this is the right game to push, previous Hellblade was still a bit niche and I never see it reach Starfield/FH numbers.

It should be a marketing campaign that's equally about the game, and equally about the consoles and/or Game Pass.

Like I said, the last one I physically saw was a Series S campaign marketed with both FH5 and Halo Infinite. This is the kind of thing that makes sense to me.
I agree that each game should get an appropriate level of marketing for what the game is. I just don't understand completely dismissing marketing efforts just because they aren't in someone's own country.

To be honest, I don't really care about marketing at all. I'm in the UK and I saw maybe one Starfield bus and one Starfield cinema ad. But if I saw nothing, I just really struggle to care. It's not my job to worry about Xbox's marketing, it's their job, and they have the data and expertise to know what's worth investing in and what isn't.

ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020

And that's why Xbox will be absolutely irrelevant in Europe forever. It's not about game sales, but about starting to build a brand image it currently doesn't have at all. No marketing means nothing changing, and it's not about this game, it's the whole xbox thing

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
uhhh if there's 20 games then Tuesday, June 11, 2024 if it releases October 29th lol.... 😅
Definitely expecting an announcement at the showcase. It would make sense for them to spread it out a bit to fill holes, but they would also benefit from releasing all in the same day.

It will be nearly 7 months and they released only one game. It's weird they added Spyro on Microsoft Store and it's not on Game Pass yet.

My guess is still that it's a separate super small team, development is going well, close to the end, and it'll be released sometimes over the next twelve months. A super small 3-4 hours horror experience.

I think either that or Double Fine's game are prime candidates for a shadowdrop at the next january Dev_Direct.

Yes, I think they'll have a shadowdrop next time around, because now that they showed that they wouldn't do it each time the event happens, they can and will surprise people with another one.
Developer_Direct would be the perfect place, I agree.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

yeps numbers need to make sense.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
beauty

GMlg51PXMAASjXB

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I agree that each game should get an appropriate level of marketing for what the game is. I just don't understand completely dismissing marketing efforts just because they aren't in someone's own country.

To be honest, I don't really care about marketing at all. I'm in the UK and I saw maybe one Starfield bus and one Starfield cinema ad. But if I saw nothing, I just really struggle to care. It's not my job to worry about Xbox's marketing, it's their job, and they have the data and expertise to know what's worth investing in and what isn't.

I mean, I shouldn't care either, but this is part of the entire reason we're in this specific thread in the first place: it's never just about talking about the new first-party release, because if it was this thread would be dead since october, we're talking about the entire ecosystem, Game Pass, the first-party future output, hopes and dreams that may or may not ever happen, the future of the console, why they're doing the choices they're making, and why they're in that position, etc.
To me it's just part of that entire discussion.

Why are their console sales so bad? For all the reasons we've always talked about. Their marketing efforts are part of it.

I shouldn't have to care either.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
www.theverge.com

Read Satya Nadella’s Microsoft memo on putting security first

Nadella doesn’t want Microsoft employees making security tradeoffs.

Going forward, we will commit the entirety of our organization to SFI, as we double down on this initiative with an approach grounded in three core principles:

• Secure by Design: Security comes first when designing any product or service.

• Secure by Default: Security protections are enabled and enforced by default, require no extra effort, and are not optional.

• Secure Operations: Security controls and monitoring will continuously be improved to meet current and future threats.
Seeing stuff like this does kind of make me question the premise of a sideloading open platform console hybrid machine thing. Though you would think there's little vulnerability involved in a gaming console. But it's still a product made by Microsoft..

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
www.theverge.com

Read Satya Nadella’s Microsoft memo on putting security first

Nadella doesn’t want Microsoft employees making security tradeoffs.

Seeing stuff like this does kind of make me question the premise of a sideloading open platform console hybrid machine thing. Though you would think there's little vulnerability involved in a gaming console. But it's still a product made by Microsoft..
Microsoft has been getting a lot of flack recently for their constant security breaches despite being the main service provider for the US government and big companies, so they're making big changes internally to address these problems and not lose billionaire contracts or get heavily sued.

Don't think that has anything to do with gaming, even though some of it may end up on it with their account system and payment methods.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020

Huh, I'm actually surprised since from that list it actually seems like quite a bit more marketing than they were doing before. Hopefully it'll be worldwide as well
I'll believe it when I see it. 😉
If they didn't do it in France for Starfield of all things, why the hell would they do it for Hellblade which is a much "smaller" game if we're being realistic.
Honestly, even in the US I feel like Starfield marketing was pretty mediocre. I had ads when I was browsing the internet and that was basically it. I don't remember seeing any billboards, commercials on TV, previews before movies at the theater…

I'm honestly convinced that budget issues paired with Xbox sandbagging to get ABK through is why Starfield had such a terrible marketing campaign

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Microsoft has been getting a lot of flack recently for their constant security breaches despite being the main service provider for the US government and big companies, so they're making big changes internally to address these problems and not lose billionaire contracts or get heavily sued.

Don't think that has anything to do with gaming, even though some of it may end up on it with their account system and payment methods.
Sure, it speaks more to Windows and Azure services which are greater targets for getting into systems and exfiltrating data or installing malware. Still, this kind of philosophy is going to impact Xbox too. Just to a lesser extent.

Huh, I'm actually surprised since from that list it actually seems like quite a bit more marketing than they were doing before. Hopefully it'll be worldwide as well

Honestly, even in the US I feel like Starfield marketing was pretty mediocre. I had ads when I was browsing the internet and that was basically it. I don't remember seeing any billboards, commercials on TV, previews before movies at the theater…

I'm honestly convinced that budget issues paired with Xbox sandbagging to get ABK through is why Starfield had such a terrible marketing campaign
As a Doritos connoisseur i will tell you Starfield was very visible in the US! lolol

Jan 4, 2018

The day I see something in France, maybe. The last time Xbox marketed something here was probably more than a decade ago during the Mattrick era and I don't think it's going to change now that the brand have became irrelevant in Europe and the HW sales collapsed (always skeptical when Xbox says "global" and it turns out to be few countries here and here. Their last "global" marketing campaign for the console last year turned into a huge nothingburger). Only times I saw something was from other companies like Paramount (Halo) and Amazon (Fallout, a ton).