• Yes

Votes: 463 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 403 46.5%

• Total voters

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
How was Bethesda doing before being acquired by Microsoft ?

She and Microsoft have such laughable and pathetic excuses.
bethesda was ready to take PS5-timed exclusivity deals for the rest of their lifetime (with Deathloop, Tokyo Ghostwire and even Starfield) because they were struggling financially and weren't getting any hits so the money for making their games exclusive was helping them.

Their last hit was Fallout 4 at the time and that was a very long time ago.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, correct. If leadership says they are under staffed ("I feel understaffed") it would mean they don't have the bodies on the team to get the job done. Like, peanut butter over too much bread, for instance.
Funny that this happened in December lol

HTEMLje.png

Azuos

Sep 29, 2021
I'm trying to understand his line of thought. Maybe he is reassuring that they still need those games, even after closing Tango?

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
You could probably argue a small team of 13 vs and entire studio working on those games respectively is part of it.
HFR wasn't the whole of Tango but it was like double the size of Pentiment's team (maybe more). It was "small" to us but maybe they don't consider it small internally. Who knows.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
bethesda was ready to take PS5-timed exclusivity deals for the rest of their lifetime (with Deathloop, Tokyo Ghostwire and even Starfield) because they were struggling financially and weren't getting any hits so the money for making their games exclusive was helping them.

Pretty sure the Dooms sold well.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I'm trying to understand his line of thought. Maybe he is reassuring that they still need those games, even after closing Tango?

I was trying to guess at this too. It's so easy to take a clip of a quote like this out of the total context.

However, in light of everything else, it looks terrible no matter what. Xbox sucks at messaging, sucks at managing portfolios and well just plain sucks right now.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
They consolidated all of the leadership positions and put Jill Braff in charge of the entire ZeniMax organization in December. If they don't have leadership at Bethesda and it's too much for a lean team to handle, Microsoft only has themselves to blame because they keep doing corporate restructurings every few months that put less and less people in charge and expand those few people's responsibilities. Why is Matt Booty managing 25 studios (XGS, Activision, Blizzard AND King) for example instead of having different roles for the teams? Pure incompetence.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
They consolidated all of the leadership positions and put Jill Braff in charge of the entire ZeniMax organization in December. If they don't have leadership at Bethesda and it's too much for a lean team to handle, Microsoft only has themselves to blame because they keep doing corporate restructurings that put less and less people in charge and expand those few people's responsibilities. Why is Matt Booty managing 25 studios (XGS, Activision, Blizzard AND King) for example instead of having different roles for the teams? Pure incompetence.
Damn good question. It was always too much and I don't know why they didn't keep Booty over just XGS.

Jan 4, 2018
Struggling, which is part of the reason Ghostwire and Deathloop were on PS exclusive deals.

Same way as Square Enix.

DOOM Eternal was a big hit, ESO was bringing a lot of revenues, even 76 was profitable, and (unlike XGS and Microsoft with Halo) they managed to make sure the Fallout TV show was at the expected level of quality. When the deal closed, they still had a lot of cash on hand.

Redfall was the sole notable miss really (but we don't know what Bethesda would have decided about it if they remained independant).

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Same way as Square Enix.

DOOM Eternal was a big hit, ESO was bringing a lot of revenues, even 76 was profitable, and (unlike XGS and Microsoft) they managed to make sure the Fallout TV show was at the expected level of quality. When the deal closed, they still had a lot of cash on hand.

Redfall was the sole notable miss really (but we don't know what Bethesda would have decided about it if they remained independant).
It's understood your position on BGS. I don't think most would agree.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Same way as Square Enix.

DOOM Eternal was a big hit, ESO was bringing a lot of revenues, even 76 was profitable, and (unlike XGS and Microsoft) they managed to make sure the Fallout TV show was at the expected level of quality. When the deal closed, they still had a lot of cash on hand.

Redfall, Tokyo Ghostwire, Deathloop, HiFi Rush, PREY, RAGE 2 and Starfield did not meet sales expectations. Fallout 76 is successful now but had an awful launch in the beginning.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Redfall, Tokyo Ghostwire, Deathloop, HiFi Rush, PREY and Starfield did not meet sales expectations. Fallout 76 is successful now but had an awful launch in the beginning.
Do we know that about Starfield for a fact? It was still one of the best selling games of the year and the only new IP to break into the top conversations.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
It's understood your position on BGS. I don't think most would agree.
baffling that executive leadership at BGS is so admired by him when they were known trash that fucked up all of their publishing partners so they could buy the studios for a cheap price. (arkane, human head, more). the human head story (the prey reboot devs) is a horror story. absolutely fucked up stuff.

Montresor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Matt Booty has the One Ring on him, and he doesn't realize its adverse affects. Why else would he feel like "[peanut] butter scraped over too much bread" ? This might not entirely be his fault.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Same way as Square Enix.

DOOM Eternal was a big hit, ESO was bringing a lot of revenues, even 76 was profitable, and (unlike XGS and Microsoft with Halo) they managed to make sure the Fallout TV show was at the expected level of quality. When the deal closed, they still had a lot of cash on hand.

We do know.
Development of Redfall began in 2018. At the time, ZeniMax — the large, privately held owner of Bethesda Softworks — was looking to sell itself. Behind the scenes, the company was encouraging its studios to develop games that could generate revenue beyond the initial sales, a popular trend dubbed "games as a service," which was taking off in the late 2010s thanks to lucrative hits like Overwatch and Fortnite.

According to people familiar with the process, ZeniMax was strongly urging developers at its subsidiaries to implement microtransactions — that is, recurring opportunities within games for players to spend real money, say, outfitting their characters. Although this wasn't an absolute mandate, several ZeniMax franchises such as Fallout, Doom and Wolfenstein would soon release new versions incorporating online multiplayer and monetization options.

BearBobomb

Jun 3, 2022
Earth
I'd like to update my previous statement from "hey you should reconsider having a game pass subscription" to "actually on second thought you just shouldn't give another dollar to Microsoft until something changes"

it's asinine

200.gif

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Redfall, Tokyo Ghostwire, Deathloop, HiFi Rush, PREY, RAGE 2 and Starfield did not meet sales expectations. Fallout 76 is successful now but had an awful launch in the beginning.
I think this list highlights that Zenimax also didn't know what to do with some of these studios. I still don't think they should have been closed but it's not like they were in good spots. They were starting a get them all on GaaS after all.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
why the fuck was someone from microsoft casual games put into position to oversee zenimax to begin with let's start there

edit: she was the deal lead on the Zenimax integration and was hired specifically for that so I guess this is an extension of that actually. seems like you could've had someone from the Zenimax cultural side be your representative but idk!!!

Jan 4, 2018
Redfall, Tokyo Ghostwire, Deathloop, HiFi Rush, PREY and Starfield did not meet sales expectations. Fallout 76 is successful now but had an awful launch in the beginning.

How could Starfield meet sales expectation when it's locked on a console hardware that Microsoft is unable to promote and make attractive and releasing day one in Game Pass because Microsoft decided it. Even then, Starfield has been a lot more successful (both in terms of revenues and players) than any other Microsoft property on PC for instance (besides Minecraft).

why the fuck was someone from microsoft casual games put into position to oversee zenimax to begin with let's start there

Same way they put Matt Booty to oversee Bethesda despite his absymal trackrecord at XGS.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
He/She's not good because she's not good, not because where the person from
Reggie was working at Pizza Hut before joining Nintendo
Well, Peter Moore was working at game company before joining Liverpool lol

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I think this list highlights that Zenimax also didn't know what to do with some of these studios. I still don't think they should have been closed but it's not like they were in good spots. They were starting a get them all on GaaS after all.
Remember the hit Wolfenstein: Youngblood, consequence of Zenimax's push for games with microtransactions?
qcMnDSz.png

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017

edit: she was the deal lead on the Zenimax integration and was hired specifically for that so I guess this is an extension of that actually. seems like you could've had someone from the Zenimax cultural side be your representative but idk!!!
Pete Hines was probably the person they had in mind for that role, specially if you look at how he was moved to "Head of Publishing" for Bethesda Softworks when he was their Marketing & Comms guy for decades.