• No

Votes: 417 45.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
They'll probably also have something for Gamescom Opening Night Live — whether COD Zombies mode gameplay premiere, Ara or something Age of Empires related or something else like a new game reveal (IIRC Age of Empires IV was revealed there one time).

jungius

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Sep 5, 2021
But at the same time by the time MS officially leaves consoles, I have a feeling consoles will likely have an extremely small share of the market anyway and regulators will probably not even care.

wtf is this with hardware doom and gloom 😂 I dont think console will go anytime soon tho, many people like me that dont like hassle and just press the button then play

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
You know the thing that sucks is that despite having been hyped for years for Hellblade 2, I'm going to end up being out of town when it launches to help my grandma move... I'm not gonna be able to play it until Thursday night at the earliest (in which case I still won't)

You'll miss the launch of Hellblade in order to help your grandma? What kind of gamer are you?

Disgusting!

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I've never played the Gears series, what's the best way to play the first?

Xbox or PC? Does it have cross save?
If were just talking the first game, either is a good option. Actually im pretty sure its a play anywhere game, so you can switch between the two at will. The 2,3 and judgement are only on console for now until the collection becomes a thing.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played the Gears series, what's the best way to play the first?

Xbox or PC? Does it have cross save?

The original is tied to GFWL on PC, but easily available on Xbox. The remake Gears Ultimate is really good on both. There were some performance issues on PC at launch, but I imagine most modern hardware can easily power through it now. PC version doesn't have campaign co-op split-screen though.

DDrift

Jun 9, 2019
I just saw a Paper Mario ad on a bus stop. Paper Mario for god's sake. Sure Switch is much bigger than Xbox in France, but PC is probably even bigger in France and Hellblade 2 is on that platform so...

One day MS will learn that Marketing does a lot for their products, but today is not that day...

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
If that Lego Horizon game rumour ends up being true, I'll say this is an amazing fucking idea and it shows why Sony is able to attract the masses with their output.

Sur Xbox had a funko pop game on mobile, and a Lego DLC for Forza Horizon 4, and I guess PoTC for SoT, but that right there is probably on another scale and it's going to speak to so many people.

I wish Xbox could have had more wacky projects for their big franchises.

cwoody63

Dec 31, 2022
I think I'd rather have a lego Horizon set than the play the regular game tbh. Love the world but the story and gameplay just never really did it for me. I wish Guerilla would make Killzone 5

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
If that Lego Horizon game rumour ends up being true, I'll say this is an amazing fucking idea and it shows why Sony is able to attract the masses with their output.

Sur Xbox had a funko pop game on mobile, and a Lego DLC for Forza Horizon 4, and I guess PoTC for SoT, but that right there is probably on another scale and it's going to speak to so many people.

I wish Xbox could have had more wacky projects for their big franchises.
You literally named four things they did lol

Most active Xbox franchises are too adult for Lego anyway.

I think I'd rather have a lego Horizon set than the play the regular game tbh. Love the world but the story and gameplay just never really did it for me. I wish Guerilla would make Killzone 5
There is a Lego Horizon set.

jungius

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Sep 5, 2021
They better have top of the line headphones for the public demo sessions. Audio design of the game will be the biggest experiential hook.

they made the health indicator in the first game as schizophrenic whispers without any UI bar, I thought it is very clever and creative

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
The reason I find that difficult to believe is that the vast majority of Microsoft's present studios have been shipping games across multiple platforms for a very long time. Even once they were acquired we saw Wasteland 3, Psychonauts 2, Minecraft, and doubtless many others that don't leap readily to mind alongside the scores of games released prior to acquisition. They also allowed they allowed Ori 1 and 2 to be ported to Switch. Heck, they know what the performance of a late port looks like in the other direction, too, with Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo.

Data on how they all performed can't be hard to come by internally, and they had to shut down development on other platforms for some of these titles, so it's not like they don't have the tooling or development pipeline figured out. What would porting Pentiment tell them that they don't already know, exactly? Theyg announced those four because they were not just in the pipeline, but were coming soon and they had no other option.

I don't doubt that there still a lot of contention internally about the right thing to do, but there's very evident pressure on financial performance that has set change in motion. It would be surprising to see it do anything but spread from here.

It's not just looking at sales data for what we're always multiplatform games thigh IMO. It's about porting once Xbox exclusives of different types and levels, guaging market reaction including impact console sales, MAUs, brand and so on. I think they ultimately want to be everywhere but they know the market is not ready for that yet and they also can't do so until they have a meaningful strategy deployed to maintain a hardware strategy (which we get next gen with the PC/third party store stuff).

We all know the end point, I think thru are still working out the way to get there with the least negative impact.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

In Amber Clad

behind a perfect mask
Aug 26, 2018
London
They should put Xbox' in clubs with HiFi headphones demo'ing HB2 like in the PS1 days. Get the younger crowd peaking on ecstasy (or whatever party drug of choice) at night to try it out with a heightened sensory experience.

Haha, I don't think that would work quite as well with Hellblade as it did with Wipeout 😅

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I think the problem is that before the studio acquisitions, the Xbox studios were anemic.

Then post acquisitions, it takes time to get a cadence going, especially for studios mid development.

If you're not going to commit, to see the plan through, then you basically wasted the money to buy these studios.

…and with that the trust and morale of their whole studio portfolio is wrecked with it. So congrats, Microsoft?

Yep. We're literally on the precipice just now. 7-8 games in the next five months and what is hopefully a big 2025 (we'll find out in 3 weeks). Not even giving inXile, Undead Labs, Compulsion, Double Fine, Ninja Theory, Playground Fable Team, MachineGames, The Initiative, Id Software, Coalition, and even Obsidian a chance to make exclusive AAA games for Xbox Series. Real weak, short term thinking from Microsoft. I think at some point Microsoft could have hit a critical mass of great games and a cheap Series S to make it a seriously enticing second console for non-Xbox people. Now, I don't see where it goes beyond making some niche hardware and multiplatform publishing.

The failure to figure out PC is another huge one. They needed to make a proper store that simply works well. Embarrassing that a software company qcould not do so.

Anywho, Starfield feels great and I love the dialog toggle. The maps are pretty cool, too. Haven't messed with decorating a spaceship yet. Wish I was just starting the game now lol. At least Shattered Space will benefit!

Makes me really excited for BGS and TES6. There's some serious tech improvements. Main quest and faction questions were improved. Best combat they've had. All that with one continuous landmass is a recipe for BGS success. Replaying FO4 and finally experiencing FO76 reminds how me good BGS can be once all the bits of the formula come together.
I'm not sure which 'out of hand' examples you're referring to but personally I'm worried about Ninja Theory and I don't think that's hyperbole.

Since being acquired 6 years ago, they released a multiplayer live service game that was a critical failure and unfortunately flopped immediately. They've spent 5 years working on Hellblade 2 which, while certainly very pretty, is similar in scope to the original - a 6 to 7 hour game, no retail presence, barely any noticeable marketing, caters to a niche audience. Even if it's critically acclaimed, it's something I bet likely won't sell all that much or get a ton of people subbing to GP.

Their other projects are experimental in nature and don't seem to be rooted in any sort of mainstream appeal, and who knows what state those are in. If a studio like Tango gets chopped after delivering a banger and "meeting all their metrics", I'm doubly concerned for NT. And they're a bigger team with bigger costs. They're sadly exactly the kind of studio I'd expect Microsoft to look at and go "do we need them? what have they done for us really?"

Indeed. They were an acquisition perfect for the Xbox vision in 2018, designed to give Xbox unique and "prestige" games (a phrase hate to use lol). We all like to forget Bleeding Edge, but Ninja Theory have delivered two games in seven years. That is a productive rate. But in a post-ABK world where Satya wants every developer making ___% profit per game release….

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm not sure we should be making jokes about specific employees potentially losing their jobs.

Sorry, it's just a very lightweight remark for us in Brazil, we joke about the Uber thing all the time. Also, even if NT closes, I'm 100% sure Melina will have plenty of job offers. She's really, really good at what she does, other studios would be crazy not to reach out to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.