Should there be a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 458 53.7%
  • No

Votes: 395 46.3%

• Total voters

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
That tweet was from the end of February, though. Meanwhile Haothors' post was from yesterday.

www.resetera.com

Rumor: Ghost of Tsushima PC port being announced tomorrow (Source: Haothors, Leaked Horizon FW PC Port blog post correctly) Rumor

https://twitter.com/realradec/status/1765044954391302614 https://twitter.com/Haothors/status/1765032826980753900 Would be cool, but I still would want Demon Souls first.
yes but ghost of tsushima on pc had already been talked about by many insiders before this. nick (xboxera) talked about it a week or two ago. other people talked about it being in development months ago.

16 didn't underperform. SE has never said it underperformed. In fact, they've said the opposite often enough.

16 had different sales expectations because it was the first M rated FF mainline game and it was doing something wholly different as an experiment.

It was never expected to sell 10+ million copies all that fast to anyone who had any kind of idea of how that kind of thing works.
It didn't underperform but going through the financial reports, it's clear it's not doing flagship (and it's a flagship game) numbers either. it's doing "okay" and "within expectations" - which is why SE is pivoting away from exclusivity in general (of course there are still deals like FFVII Remake tho)

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
because another insider had also talked about it before that account. but if you all want to believe _another_ weird account that just says common sense stuff or things that other insiders already said, be my guest. lol

Exactly they have no original/unique leaks, they have only reported on things that other have said in the past.

The original thread on it was locked due to the lack of credibility.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Why the hell did SE sign this deal? We're talking about at least 10 years deal, a lot can change in such long period.

Depending on when exactly pre-remake launch, SE were in a bad spot with the 1.0 XIV launch + potentially even outsourcing the FFVII remake games initially. They weren't doing too hot then, so they probably hopped on a moneybag but who knows.

NovaChrysalia

Dec 14, 2023
Funny that regulators don't care that something as massive as the FF7 trilogy is exclusive to PlayStation (while they made such a fuss about Microsoft's exclusivities during the acquisition, even the most negligible ones).

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
yes but ghost of tsushima on pc had already been talked about by many insiders before this. nick (xboxera) talked about it a week or two ago. other people talked about it being in development months ago.

It didn't underperform but going through the financial reports, it's clear it's not doing flagship (and it's a flagship game) numbers either. it's doing "okay" and "within expectations" - which is why SE is pivoting away from exclusivity in general (of course there are still deals like FFVII Remake tho)

Something to keep in mind is that the previous 3 mainline games (7 remake, 15 and 14) all had to restart development at least once, which means they needed to sell more relative to how much they cost by default.

A lot of people tend to discount that.

NovaChrysalia

Dec 14, 2023
Regardless of what happens, if Starfield does indeed release on PlayStation later this year, I'm permanently jumping ship. I'm ditching Xbox for good.

I'm all for playing the cool gamer card and being happy that everyone can play this or that game, but it has to apply to everyone. In the end, I'm still a consumer. If everyone can play Xbox games on their console but Xbox players have to fork out for three consoles to play games, I'm just being taken advantage of.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
It's weird. Like Yeah XV sold more on PS than Xbox. But it still sold like 2mil lifetime right? Don't know why they act like the fan base is 0.

I've been enjoying 14, and intended to purchase it. But I don't know anymore. Getting tired of this second class citizen treatment. Rather they just stop bring the series over all together than giving us bits and pieces.

Faith in 16 coming over is back to being in the toilet..
Honestly, 2 million lifetime on Xbox is actually pretty impressive considering our last known number of sales for the game is 10 million back in 2022. Xbox being 20% of the game's lifetime sales almost seems too high for me if I'm being completely honest...

Where is the 2 million lifetime units on Xbox from?

16 didn't underperform. SE has never said it underperformed. In fact, they've said the opposite often enough.

16 had different sales expectations because it was the first M rated FF mainline game and it was doing something wholly different as an experiment.

It was never expected to sell 10+ million copies all that fast to anyone who had any kind of idea of how that kind of thing works.

It still has time to leg out to 7-10 million too given late ports, complete editions,etc.
Ah, sorry, I was citing Wikipedia, which did say the game underperformed and provided three sources for that, but after seeing your response and clicking on one of the sources, a Eurogamer article, I see that the Wikipedia page basically misquoted two of it's sources and said that all things considered they were happy with the sales because of the limited PS5 install base.
It does still seem as though Square Enix is aware that releasing the game exclusively on PS5 significantly limited the sales potential of the game but honestly I'm not really sure that played much of an impact all things considered

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

That person mentioned a lot of of stuff like the usual Bloodborne remake and even a new project based on God Of War not made by Santa Monica. the fact that this leaker talked anything Bloodborne while even if both Sony and From software both officially announce it, no one gonna believe them by now, makes much of the stuff supposed to be leaks kinda doubtful tbh.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Honestly, 2 million lifetime on Xbox is actually pretty impressive considering our last known number of sales for the game is 10 million back in 2022. Xbox being 20% of the game's lifetime sales almost seems too high for me if I'm being completely honest...

Where is the 2 million lifetime units on Xbox from?

Ah, sorry, I was citing Wikipedia, which did say the game underperformed and provided three sources for that, but after seeing your response and clicking on one of the sources, a Eurogamer article, I see that the Wikipedia page basically misquoted two of it's sources and said that all things considered they were happy with the sales because of the limited PS5 install base.
It does still seem as though Square Enix is aware that releasing the game exclusively on PS5 significantly limited the sales potential of the game but honestly I'm not really sure that played much of an impact all things considered

Yea, the tale of how successful XVI will be will be told on the PC port, complete edition, other ports, etc.

Right now it just met expectations, which means their targeting was on point (which for SE is mostly actually a first!)

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
That person mentioned a lot of of stuff like the usual Bloodborne remake and even a new project based on God Of War not made by Santa Monica. the fact that this leaker talked anything Bloodborne while even if both Sony and From software both officially announce it, no one gonna believe them by now, makes much of the stuff supposed to be leaks kinda doubtful tbh.
That "leaker" looks like they just saw this video and thought to do the same.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nODZila7ME

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
they are backing off of other rumours, yes. at least the ghost of tsushima part.

people will have confirmation bias nonetheless. they believe what they want and when someone else says it as a fact, they take it as confirmation.
I mean the Starfield rumor is very similar if not the same to the XboxEra rumor. So yeah they probably search the internet for rumors from known leaker/insiders and then just repeat them.

Mcbel

Sep 6, 2023
lolololol, there was no reason to trust that person to begin with but Bloodborne remake? I can confidently say that person is full of shit.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
Something to keep in mind is that the previous 3 mainline games (7 remake, 15 and 14) all had to restart development at least once, which means they needed to sell more relative to how much they cost by default.

A lot of people tend to discount that.
ofc. my point is that doing "okay" is unfortunately not enough nowadays, especially for big stuff like FFXVI, which is why SE (and most others) are moving into a multiplatform direction. even if xbox ends in this context, i don't think Playstation exclusive SE titles are gonna exist for much longer.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Funny that regulators don't care that something as massive as the FF7 trilogy is exclusive to PlayStation (while they made such a fuss about Microsoft's exclusivities during the acquisition, even the most negligible ones).

I'm pretty sure there's a difference between paying for a handful of exclusive games from one publisher vs. buying the biggest third party publisher.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

Surely SE would have known that, reducing access points implies fewer retail sales lol. The ROI for SE is if the exclusivity bag from Sony nets out the revenue offset from Xbox, and PC to an extent (EGS exclusivity bag too, at least for Remake).

FF is a weird franchise since each entry is wholly stand-alone aside from recurring themes and some mobs/systems (i.e., summons). Really curious what the "brand value" impact exclusivity plays for mainline FF entries compared to something that is a direct, narratively carry-over franchise. I imagine it's slightly less but how much in the context of SE assessing the overarching timed-exclusivity factors in play, in the long-term.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020

Nah. Getting this day correct a week ago could say that he has accurate information on the Sony side of things, but that doesn't explain how the very same individual would also manage to have information on Square Enix (FFT Remake, FF9 Remake) while also having information on Xbox/Bethesda enough to give a timeline of when Starfield will be released on Playstation AND further information about stuff going multiplatform next year.

Honestly, looking at the page it reads like someone who's gone through and had several random guesses and deleted the stuff that was wrong. Or maybe they have access to a Youtube backend which explains how they got some stuff right with the State of Play and the Ghost of Tsushima PC port, likely the same source that the XboxEra guy had with the PC port of the game last week

Well, looks like we're all very excited about the Partner Preview event, right? ^_^

(I unironically am)
Yeah, I'm not expecting much as an Xbox fan (nor should I) but I'm expecting some cool trailers and potentially smaller announcements that will be pretty fun

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Nah. Getting this day correct a week ago could say that he has accurate information on the Sony side of things, but that doesn't explain how the very same individual would also manage to have information on Square Enix (FFT Remake, FF9 Remake) while also having information on Xbox/Bethesda enough to give a timeline of when Starfield will be released on Playstation AND further information about stuff going multiplatform next year.

To play devils advocate, having access to certain people at Sony could feasibly give him information on the Xbox ports given they'd be communicating about launch plans/games + publishing contracts etc., well ahead of public comms. SE is a bit more of a stretch, specifically about other platforms aside from PS assuming solid Sony contacts. The Arrowhead acquisition though is blatantly wrong.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
ofc. my point is that doing "okay" is unfortunately not enough nowadays, especially for big stuff like FFXVI, which is why SE (and most others) are moving into a multiplatform direction. even if xbox ends in this context, i don't think Playstation exclusive SE titles are gonna exist for much longer.

TBH, I don't believe SE's "multiplatform direction" and I don't know why anyone else would. We've seen this song and dance multiple times before at this point, starting way back with XI and XIII.

SE, as a business, has a history of saying they'll do a thing and then changing their mind halfway through, and that's been true over multiple presidents now, lol.

So I'll believe in their multiplatform direction when they announce 17 on everything at the same time. Even then, I don't know if it would last.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
TBH, I don't believe SE's "multiplatform direction" and I don't know why anyone else would. We've seen this song and dance multiple times before at this point, starting way back with XI and XIII.

SE, as a business, has a history of saying they'll do a thing and then changing their mind halfway through, and that's been true over multiple presidents now, lol.

So I'll believe in their multiplatform direction when they announce 17 on everything at the same time. Even then, I don't know if it would last.
sure. we'll see.

JFC I can't keep up with Twitter insiders lol.
still a lot of stuff wrong on that twitter account. he probably deleted the most obvious ones with time, tho.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
You know, iwanttobelievegif and all that :P
Yeah I guess good to have it formalised. But after 1 didn't come to Xbox after a year, I was like, "well I guess they can't/won't do it until the full trilogy is out."

I don't think this prevents 16 or future games coming to Xbox though, in light of the recent commitments between Phil and the Square CEO.

I don't play these games anyway so it doesn't bother me, but I know there's an audience and them coming to Xbox would obviously be very good.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
still a lot of stuff wrong on that twitter account. he probably deleted the most obvious ones with time, tho.

As of now, the only definitive "leak" verified was the GoT PC announcement date well ahead of time and before others. We have a snapshot of his TL now so can gauge accuracy if others do come true i.e., FFT on all platforms, Starfield on PS5 with rough launch timing. Until then, no need to pay attention really.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Regardless of what happens, if Starfield does indeed release on PlayStation later this year, I'm permanently jumping ship. I'm ditching Xbox for good.

I'm all for playing the cool gamer card and being happy that everyone can play this or that game, but it has to apply to everyone. In the end, I'm still a consumer. If everyone can play Xbox games on their console but Xbox players have to fork out for three consoles to play games, I'm just being taken advantage of.
Can't blame anyone for this.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Yeah I guess good to have it formalised. But after 1 didn't come to Xbox after a year, I was like, "well I guess they can't/won't do it until the full trilogy is out."

I don't think this prevents 16 or future games coming to Xbox though, in light of the recent commitments between Phil and the Square CEO.

I don't play these games anyway so it doesn't bother me, but I know there's an audience and then coming to Xbox would obviously be very good.

Yeah, I'm still optimistic about FFXVI, though Minthara is right in saying...

At this point for your own sanity I'd say to expect all FF mainline games to be (at least temporarily) not on Xbox.

...so I'm not really counting on it. If it comes, it will be a nice surprise.