• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
It is parity, given that Halo Infinite MP is it's own app on Xbox and PC and launched before the campaign did. Do the same for Gears going forwards.
It's not a separate app on Xbox (you access both experiences through the same app), but even if it was, it's still part of Halo Infinite. "Halo Infinite" as a game includes both campaign and multiplayer. They have the same mechanics. It's not a completely different game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Just my personal opinion but... would such a sub work? I think at that point Id rather just buy the games outright... It takes me months to finsh ONE RPG, Im not playing another right away as Id get burned out. So Im not sure how worthwhile that would be cost wise...

That's just me though. Something like GP, while arguably the same problem would occur (burnout), I feel due to the larger range of games, feels more worthwhile cost wise by comparison. Then again who the heck knows what SE is doing!

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
I did not expect to get so much into Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising. It has no right being this good for a spin-off of a an upcoming game, in a different genre.

That was pretty neat, looking forward to the main course later this month.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Why not do full versions? It'll sell more and the damage is done to the Xbox console either way. Might as well make the most of it.

Xbox still said the exclusive model will remain in some fashion, and until they announce a business update stating otherwise, this is just one method of doing that. You want the SP, buy the Xbox or PC version. Also, I'm speaking more about the health of the franchises, not the consoles.

As is clear now, they'll never sell consoles as high as what we've seen before, so bringing in users via other methods is paramount for keeping their player base healthy going forwards.

It's not a separate app on Xbox (you access both experiences through the same app), but even if it was, it's still part of Halo Infinite. "Halo Infinite" as a game includes both campaign and multiplayer. They have the same mechanics. It's not a completely different game.

I was mistaken, it's the campaign that's a separate app, the MP isn't installed with that. In any case, it should be a thing where the MP is its own thing, as is apparent looking at Infinite's troubled life.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Just my personal opinion but... would such a sub work? I think at that point Id rather just buy the games outright... It takes me months to finsh ONE RPG, Im not playing another right away as Id get burned out. So Im not sure how worthwhile that would be cost wise...

That's just me though. Something like GP, while arguably the same problem would occur (burnout), I feel due to the larger range of games, feels more worthwhile cost wise by comparison. Then again who the heck knows what SE is doing!

Maybe if they add it to FF14 sub, I can see it somehow working.

I did not expect to get so much into Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising. It has no right being this good for a spin-off of a an upcoming game, in a different genre.

That was pretty neat, looking forward to the main course later this month.

Even though it's all fetch quests, my brain did them all. I guess it's the mark of a good gameplay loop.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I would assume games with a strong MP part or MP only will be available everywhere and SP games will become exclusive for a specific time period.
Right but for games which have both SP and MP (like Halo and Gears) they will be treated as one game (because they are one game) and either the whole product will be exclusive or the whole product will be multiplatform.

Theory

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox still said the exclusive model will remain in some fashion, and until they announce a business update stating otherwise, this is just one method of doing that. You want the SP, buy the Xbox or PC version…

I just find this part so fascinating-

The idea of trying to lure new users to the platform by strategically "limiting" releases/content…. Is there any reason to believe this is a good idea?

Like, are we sure it would truly outweigh the potential success of simply opening the floodgates, slowly annd deliberately, over the next few years?

I'm genuinely so curious as to which approach would most benefit the brand (overall) in the end.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022

The idea of trying to lure new users to the platform by strategically "limiting" releases/content…. Is there any reason to believe this is a good idea?

Like, are we sure it would truly outweigh the potential success of simply opening the floodgates, slowly annd deliberately, over the next few years?

I'm genuinely so curious as to which approach would most benefit the brand (overall) in the end.
I really think partitioning out content for different platforms is not the right move. All it does is invite ire.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

The PC route is the only path forward for the brand imo.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
In addition to what you want to see, I'd like to see Halo & Gears MP modes get ported, SP can remain exclusive. Spin-offs like Halo Wars & Gears Tactics too.

i think games like Halo or Gears are difficult because what those games represent to xbox and xbox fans, but the floodgates are open, xbox made the multiplatform pivot and sooner rather than later more games will go to nintendo and playstation, maybe not BIG BIG games like starfield etc.. but phil will not be the xbox ceo for ever, it takes one decision to go fully multiplatform and phil already made the most difficult one on breaking that ice, maybe phil isnt that in favor of the xbox staples going to playstation or nintendo, but the next leader? thats the question, thats why people say between now and in 10 years where you see xbox? 10 years from now is just one generation, isnt a big amount of time, in 10 years maybe gears and halo are on playstation and mario and zelda is on pc, who knows, nobody knows, but i will keep saying this, the activision acquisition was a "troyan horse" that made xbox go to the multiplatform approach/pivot

Last edited:

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Sarah is probably the next leader and she's the one who literally said, on-stage, right after the first Starfield video at an Xbox show: "and yes, it's exclusive".

Not that that means it'll stay exclusive, of course not, but still, I doubt Sarah feels any different than Phil. Since she's mostly following on his footsteps.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Right but for games which have both SP and MP (like Halo and Gears) they will be treated as one game (because they are one game) and either the whole product will be exclusive or the whole product will be multiplatform.

If the MP for Gears would become big then I see it become multiplat same for Halo of course. But

A Final Fantasy Sub model ?? Aren't there publishers like EA and Ubisoft having a rather hard time with their sub model and those include most or all their titles ?!

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
Sarah is probably the next leader and she's the one who literally said, on-stage, right after the first Starfield video at an Xbox show: "and yes, it's exclusive".

maybe is like you are saying but i think the difference between playstation nintendo and microsoft is that playstation and nintendo are 100% hardware companies, microsoft is a software companie, they want to be eerywhere, the only business that microsoft dont launch their services and software "EVERYWHERE" is the xbox business and thats something satya doesnt like

I just cant wait to see what Tom Warren will say honestly, I just want to learn more about this "internal test" of Sea of Thieves and what xbox will do about it, if it is a success what they will do? I suppose they already made the decision and we just dont know until is actually revealed or leaked

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I just find this part fascinating-

The idea of trying to lure new users to the platform by strategically "limiting" releases/content…. Is there any reason to believe this is a good idea??

Like, are we sure it would truly outweigh the potential success of simply opening the floodgates slowly annd deliberately over the next few years?

I believe it's a good idea when you take a look at what MP titles Halo & Gears are competing with, in the likes of CoD, Fortnite, Destiny, and Apex Legends. All titles that have access to more players, which, when combined with the knowledge that the current Xbox console userbase isn't going to grow unless Sony drop the ball spectacularly, only serves to keep the Halo & Gears player count low.

Halo & Gears fans have been discussing this (obviously in the context of them being Xbox exclusives) way before the Xbox business strategy was a thing, so it shouldn't be looked upon as limiting releases/content, but rather for the good of the games, in my opinion.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
I don't get it, how come some games leaving a subscription service imply they're going to another service?
Revenue from sales of those games at this point are likely pretty low many years after they've released. They'd get more as a package from Sony or Microsoft, and with Microsoft's increasing closeness to Square, the Xbox Showcase being a few weeks after they leave PS+, AND history of something happening before (Persona 5 leaving PS+ collection shortly before Xbox announced it was coming to Game Pass), I think it is fairly easy to put 2 and 2 together. Whether it makes 4 or not we'll find out in a couple of months.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I believe it's a good idea when you take a look at what MP titles Halo & Gears are competing with, in the likes of CoD, Fortnite, Destiny, and Apex Legends. All titles that have access to more players, which, when combined with the knowledge that the current Xbox console userbase isn't going to grow unless Sony drop the ball spectacularly, only serves to keep the Halo & Gears player count low.

Halo & Gears fans have been discussing this (obviously in the context of them being Xbox exclusives) way before the Xbox business strategy was a thing, so it shouldn't be looked upon as limiting releases/content, but rather for the good of the games, in my opinion.
I see the argument for putting Halo and Gears on other platforms (even though I don't personally believe it's going to happen), but if they do that, it will include the campaigns and all other modes (co-op, Forge, Horde etc). It won't just be multiplayer.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
I don't get it, how come some games leaving a subscription service imply they're going to another service?
maybe is just sony not renewing the licence like xbox did many years ago and maybe square is asking a ton amount of money for the licence of those games again and sony didnt want to, but that doesnt mean those games cant go back to another sub service at the same time, we have as an example the resident evil remake games, those are in both sub services, and i am sure there are many other examples I suppose

and people likes to say square and xbox relationship is getting better etc.. (it is of course) but we have to remember and there is something people doesnt mention at all, remember when the new square CEO and phil were on the stage and that famous picture happened of then handshaking ? the square enix ceo said they will port games to more platforms "whenever is possible", nobody mentions that, me as an xbox player and a playstation player i dont care that much because i play games on both consoles, but if you are a big xbox fan wanting to play main final fantasy games on xbox, i think you have to wait for those contracts to run out and that sony doesnt renew those contracts because i am pretty sure sony is smarter enough to write in those contracts the right to renew again, maybe it will not happen with FF16 but with FF7 trilogy? or the next main FF? nobody knows, we just cant say "bad sales mean no more exclusivity contracts" but at the end human beings are the one signing those contracts and human beings understand each other speaking face to face, nobody knows what the square enix CEO will decide if sony reach out to then again, nobody knows, we just have to wait and see

by the way ,i hope pixel remasters are coming to xbox, is weird those games arent on xbox yet

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
I don't think Halo and Gears will go multiplatform, but if the next Xbox is coming out in 2026 and the next Halo, Gears or both will be out around launch I could see it making sense to port the MCC and release the rumoured Gears collection multiplatform before then. There's probably a decent overlap between people who play CoD and people who would be interested in Halo/Gears so it could be a good chance to build interest in those in time for the next generation Xbox ecosystem exclusive releases and have people decide whether to switch and get all of them and more on Game Pass.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Folks said it better than me above but basically these sub deals are related in some way.

Games leaving Game Pass - - > entering Playstation Plus and vice versa.

Or a contract that games should be on both subs at the same time (see Capcom with Resident Evil).

Right now Xbox is in fixing relationship phase with Square Enix so I can see them dropping at least all classic FF back again on Game Pass.

This is a good point - but I think the worst part is it invites confusion for the consumer… and that is something Microsoft cares about for sure.

Can you elaborate?

Spencer recent comments regarding wanting PC storefronts on Xbox + combination:

3rd party skips (mostly in Japan even if it's better nowadays), 1st party exclusives going to other platforms (and I don't believe for a sec it's gonna stop) and low marketshare/sales worldwide.

If they make Xbox something like Steam Deck, basically a PC with some verification system to ensure games are playable, then they can solve all the above by embracing open nature of PC.

I dunno how they gonna do it though. Gonna be interesting to see how they execute their vision whatever it's gonna be.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
As much as this does make some sense, I kind of wonder if MCC is too unwieldy and they just don't want to go there. It's held together by duct tape and porting to PC alone was a nightmare.
Good point. They might just port Halo 5 or Infinite instead as there's probably plenty who played the first few then switched platform last gen.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Do you guys think Obsidian would like to work on BG4? I don't think they would.
I doubt they have anything against it but they're finally at the point where there's basically no reason for them to be working on IPs that aren't their own. The only situation where it would make sense is Fallout (and I guess like Star Wars) but that requires lots of things to line up.

I think Obsidian would sooner do Pillars 3 with the budget of BG 3 than BG 4.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Dunno but given the chance to go back into the world of BG (D&D) or the world of POE, I would definitely wish to explore more POE, personally. I'm aware Avowed is in that world so maybe that will satisfy me but I doubt it. If Obsidian is doing another CRPG, I would hope for Eora. But, I guess, if they wanted a bigger budget, they might shoot for thst D&D license.

Last edited:

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I see the argument for putting Halo and Gears on other platforms (even though I don't personally believe it's going to happen), but if they do that, it will include the campaigns and all other modes (co-op, Forge, Horde etc). It won't just be multiplayer.

I class the likes of Forge and Horde as MP, so still quite a hefty package without the campaigns, in my opinion.

Mcbel

Sep 6, 2023
Revenue from sales of those games at this point are likely pretty low many years after they've released. They'd get more as a package from Sony or Microsoft, and with Microsoft's increasing closeness to Square, the Xbox Showcase being a few weeks after they leave PS+, AND history of something happening before (Persona 5 leaving PS+ collection shortly before Xbox announced it was coming to Game Pass), I think it is fairly easy to put 2 and 2 together. Whether it makes 4 or not we'll find out in a couple of months.
Folks said it better than me above but basically these sub deals are related in some way.

Games leaving Game Pass - - > entering Playstation Plus and vice versa.

Or a contract that games should be on both subs at the same time (see Capcom with Resident Evil).

Right now Xbox is in fixing relationship phase with Square Enix so I can see them dropping at least all classic FF back again on Game Pass.

Spencer recent comments regarding wanting PC storefronts on Xbox + combination:

3rd party skips (mostly in Japan even if it's better nowadays), 1st party exclusives going to other platforms (and I don't believe for a sec it's gonna stop) and low marketshare/sales worldwide.

If they make Xbox something like Steam Deck, basically a PC with some verification system to ensure games are playable, then they can solve all the above by embracing open nature of PC.

I dunno how they gonna do it though. Gonna be interesting to see how they execute their vision whatever it's gonna be.
I'm not saying they're not coming to XGP, I'm saying presence of those games in XGP shouldn't depend on their presence on another competing service. MS and SE can fix their relationship without waiting for some games to leave PS service.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021

Straight into GP:U, like EA Play. They'll give Square a floor or guarantee for their sub service to ease em into it and make it a little more secure.

That means some games will stay exclusive and some won't, not parts of games staying exclusive and parts not.

GaaS titles everywhere, single player games exclusive. Any title that has MP and SP get split, gives them best of both worlds.

Couldn't get enough of it, crazy good.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying they're not coming to XGP, I'm saying presence of those games in XGP shouldn't depend on their presence on another competing service. MS and SE can fix their relationship without waiting for some games to leave PS service.

And they are!

FF14 just dropped, Octopath 2 announced at TGS (don't ask me where it is now lol) and we getting Visions of Mana day 1! The very first Mana on Xbox ever.

They can do more by dropping Crisis Core and/or Diofield in Game Pass or something but maybe they wanna dedicate a whole section to Square in June showcase. Who knows.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
GaaS titles everywhere, single player games exclusive. Any title that has MP and SP get split, gives them best of both worlds.
I just don't think they are going to do that. If they released an MP game called Halo: Subtitle X and a SP game called Halo: Subtitle Y, as two entirely separate products, then maybe. But as long as they are bundled together as one product, which Infinite is and presumably Gears 6 will be, they will treat all aspects of the game equally.

Mcbel

Sep 6, 2023
For whatever it's worth, there are plenty of games that have been and continue to be in both Game Pass and PS Plus at the same time.
Thank you! That was my point: whatever happens with PS Plus have no bearing on what happens on other services. I'm not getting my hopes up just because some FF games left PS plus.