• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I forget, has Xbox had a present at Geoff's Summer Showcase or do they normally save everything for their own show?

No, I can't remember they ever had anything at the Geoff summer show.

Gamescom's ONL and Game Awards, sure, but I guess the summer one is too close to their usual showcase so it makes more sense for them to keep things close.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
No, I can't remember they ever had anything at the Geoff summer show.

Gamescom's ONL and Game Awards, sure, but I guess the summer one is too close to their usual showcase so it makes more sense for them to keep things close.

Maybe they will drop something like a cross platform Oblivion Remake announcement because ain't nobody wants to see cross platform announcements at the Xbox show lol. Or maybe having that in the run up to their own show would piss people off.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Maybe they will drop something like a cross platform Oblivion Remake announcement because ain't nobody wants to see cross platform announcements at the Xbox show lol. Or maybe having that in the run up to their own show would piss people off.

Sure, why not.
More announcements at the Geoff show mean they probably keep other things for their own.

I think it's always smart to have at least one thing to throw to the Geoff showcases, these general conferences seem to be watched by a lot of people.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
They have Minecraft stuff in the showcase so that would still be there lol

I could see them maybe having a short trailer for something at Geoff and then a longer gameplay thing at the showcase. Ubisoft did that with Outlaws, announcement at Xbox and then gameplay at the Forward. So you never know.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Ah I see, thanks, didn't notice it on the forum home since I generally only check this thread most of the time. 1 is such a weird skip on Xbox, pretty sure we got all of the others in the series?
It is a bit weird yeah, I get the sense their main audience is on switch and PC. They never ported Steamworld Quest to Xbox/PS either

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm expecting exactly that in 2025 and 2026 (5-6 big games releasing throughout the year). Let's see if they deliver.

And this year there's Hellblade in May and then Avowed and Indy in the second half so it's more or less the same result (obviously the games still need to be banging).

Right and its largely because they want to maximize console sales in the most important sales period of they year. IIRC we have had people who act as faces of the Xbox brand talking about how they didn't really care about hardware performance outside that period since there is a radical difference in the way consoles sell outside the holidays.

It was a bit comical how at their summer 2022 media event they promised both Starfield and Forza before July 2023 when we know that was never what they intended. Especially for Starfield which they had aligned for Holiday 2022, it was always going to release in a holiday sales period. Same can be said for for Halo Infinite being delayed out of one holiday season to the next.

So I just dont see it ever changing given how reliant they are for their hardware performance in that period versus the entire year.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
It was a bit comical how at their summer 2022 media event they promised both Starfield and Forza before July 2023 when we know that was never what they intended. Especially for Starfield which they had aligned for Holiday 2022, it was always going to release in a holiday sales period. Same can be said for for Halo Infinite being delayed out of one holiday season to the next.
I don't agree that they didn't intend to release them in the first half of the year. If the games were ready, they would have. Those delays caused them so much grief I just can't see them lying about it. It's not worth the backlash.

In fairness, with Halo they never said it would be first half of the year, whereas with Starfield and Forza they did.

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Sarah is probably the next leader and she's the one who literally said, on-stage, right after the first Starfield video at an Xbox show: "and yes, it's exclusive".

Not that that means it'll stay exclusive, of course not, but still, I doubt Sarah feels any different than Phil. Since she's mostly following on his footsteps.
Honestly I feel like Sarah Bond is probably the one that was responsible for the whole multiplatform push, but generally speaking I agree. The Xbox leadership team as it stands knows the importance of exclusivity and Phil Spencer has done a great job of ensuring that his retirement goes smoothly by having a set replacement and a lot of likeminded executives around him as well.
I see the argument for putting Halo and Gears on other platforms (even though I don't personally believe it's going to happen), but if they do that, it will include the campaigns and all other modes (co-op, Forge, Horde etc). It won't just be multiplayer.
Honestly I disagree about Gears (I think it would benefit from a multiplatform release more than it would hurt Xbox) but either way I definitely agree. They're not going to limit anything with the releases, they're going to be completely fully featured launches, anything less would be detrimental to MS since it doesn't benefit anyone.
I don't think Halo and Gears will go multiplatform, but if the next Xbox is coming out in 2026 and the next Halo, Gears or both will be out around launch I could see it making sense to port the MCC and release the rumoured Gears collection multiplatform before then. There's probably a decent overlap between people who play CoD and people who would be interested in Halo/Gears so it could be a good chance to build interest in those in time for the next generation Xbox ecosystem exclusive releases and have people decide whether to switch and get all of them and more on Game Pass.
Nah, because if Microsoft decides to port any game from those franchises to other systems, users on those other systems would just assume that the next entries will make their way over eventually. Also, I feel that it would be best to avoid going heavier into multiplatform until after the next Xbox and PS6 have already launched and are a couple years into the life cycle. But really, there's no point in porting the MCC and Gears Collections until Microsoft is ready to release the newest games on those platforms as well.
There was only one vault tec dot in Canada tho 😳 in Winnipeg or something
I don't think that the map in the show had all of the Vault Tec vaults though, for example either it was missing Vault 12 (Bakersfield or Barstow) or they got the location on the map wrong, yet again. Instead the dot in central California was closer to the Fresno area. But at the same time it would be really funny if Bethesda just turned the inconsistent location of Vault 12/Necropolis into a bit and each time it's mentioned it's a different location.

Also the map is super easy to just retcon in the future, if Bethesda or another developer decides they want to do an area not covered by that map they'll do it anyway, I don't see them beholding themselves to that map eternally.
That's honestly not a bad idea. Especially considering no Fallout media even touches Canada. Could technically do Mexico too. I believe it's US occupied at the time.
San Diego and then extending across the border to Tijuana could actually be pretty damn cool, yeah. The area is pretty varied and nice on both sides of the border, so it would definitely be pretty fun to see that in a Fallout game.

Also the map did have a quite a few dots in Mexico so either way it works in lore.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022

The reaction to recent Arkane projects has highlighted a growing divide between some immersive sim fans and immersive sim developers. I think fans would gladly have straightforward Preys and Dishonoreds and Deus Exs over and over again, but developers want to keep pushing the genre and trying new things. Sometimes that results in Redfalls but other times you get Deathloops. Not sure what the answer is but I love and respect when immsim devs try and push the boat out. It's inherent to the genre to not be conservative.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I don't agree that they didn't intend to release them in the first half of the year. If the games were ready, they would have. Those delays caused them so much grief I just can't see them lying about it. It's not worth the backlash.

In fairness, with Halo they never said it would be first half of the year, whereas with Starfield and Forza they did.

Starfield is likely to remain their biggest console exclusive launch this gen, there was no way its launch was going to happen outside a holiday season. I could have bet my life savings on that lol.

Im being realistic here and you can literally peg games like Fable and Gears 6 releasing "holiday 20XX", which this lack of flexibility has done more harm than good. The "strong finish" mentality Xbox has had translates more to the "We finally woke up, thanks for waiting all year" to the average consumer.

Unfortunately, I think this set-up is a lot harder to change than we think. They probably have most their ad expenses centered in the holidays meaning they would have to take on additional expenses to launch a game like Fable in a spring period.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Starfield is likely to remain their biggest console exclusive launch this gen, there was no way its launch was going to happen outside a holiday season. I could have bet my life savings on that lol.

Im being realistic here and you can literally peg games like Fable and Gears 6 releasing "holiday 20XX", which this lack of flexibility has done more harm than good. The "strong finish" mentality Xbox has had translates more to the "We finally woke up, thanks for waiting all year" to the average consumer.

Unfortunately, I think this set-up is a lot harder to change than we think. They probably have most their ad expenses centered in the holidays meaning they would have to take on additional expenses to launch a game like Fable in a spring period.
I just don't believe they lied about Starfield targeting the first half.

I actually think there's a decent chance that Fable will be spring/summer 2025, but we'll see.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Just a few months ago we used to say "Fable in 2024, and I see we're already starting to suggest summer 2025. 😭

If I was asked in 2020, right after the game was announced, when it would launch, I probably would have said: "late 2023".

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Just a few months ago we used to say "Fable in 2024, and I see we're already starting to suggest summer 2025. 😭

If I was asked in 2020, right after the game got announced, when it would launch, I probably would have said: "late 2023".
Well according to Grubb, the target was 2023 back in 2021 alongside all the other 2019/2020 games lol

I don't think we go another showcase after this one with Fable still not being out (or at least on the precipice of coming out), but I was one of those people saying 2024 so what do I know lol

I do think we're starting to see a cadence of when they show a game again vs when it comes out (for the games announced early). We started seeing Hellblade and Avowed properly about a year ago and now they're about to come out. I think we see Fable properly this year (last year being the tease, like Starfield in 2021) and then it comes out in the next 12 months.

Oct 27, 2017
Sort of crazy how a show can reignite the sales of old games in substantial ways. These Fallout games must be moving meaningful and significant numbers at this point. These rankings are, of course, constantly changing. This is top 50 for xbox/playstation stores and top 100 global steam.

us xbox store
2 - fallout 4 goty
9 - fallout new vegas
13 - fallout 3
40 - fallout 4
50 - fallout 76 atlantic city deluxe edition

uk xbox store
4 - fallout 4 goty
9 - fallout new vegas
18 - fallout 3
22 - fallout 4

japan xbox store
1 - fallout 4 goty
5 - fallout new vegas
6 - fallout 3
43 - fallout 4

steam
6 - fallout 4
7 - fallout 4 goty
9 - fallout 76
18 - fallout franchise bundle
39 - fallout 3 goty
64 - fallout 4 vr
96 - fallout tactics brotherhood of steel

us playstation store
19 - fallout 4
22 - fallout 76

uk playstation store
13 - fallout 4
18 - fallout 76

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
The reaction to recent Arkane projects has highlighted a growing divide between some immersive sim fans and immersive sim developers. I think fans would gladly have straightforward Preys and Dishonoreds and Deus Exs over and over again, but developers want to keep pushing the genre and trying new things. Sometimes that results in Redfalls but other times you get Deathloops. Not sure what the answer is but I love and respect when immsim devs try and push the boat out. It's inherent to the genre to not be conservative.

That's probably because the best thing about ImSims is exploring the worlds themselves - the immersive part. You can have similarly designed games as long as the worlds are new, detailed, and interesting to explore with mysteries and lore to uncover. The gunplay didn't carry Prey... it was the incredibly well-realized Talos-1 space station that makes it such a beloved game among fans.

I do fall on the side of devs in the divide. I thought Deathloop was one of the best games I've played in years. A truly immersive experience and it was awesome exploring Blackreef and slowly peeling away the layers of the story. Deathloop did it while mostly nixing some of what I'd always considered to be core elements of ImSim design (Character RPG mechanics and player agency in the narrative), which has me thinking that maybe those aren't as necessary as I'd previously thought. Dishonored had already moved away from the RPG mechanics while Prey went heavier on them.

By the same token, I think Redfall was built on some very poor foundational ideas. Open world is just not what the genre needs, imo. I think that was a bigger problem than the multiplayer aspect.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
That's probably because the best thing about ImSims is exploring the worlds themselves - the immersive part. You can have similarly designed games as long as the worlds are new, detailed, and interesting to explore with mysteries and lore to uncover. The gunplay didn't carry Prey... it was the incredibly well-realized Talos-1 space station that makes it such a beloved game among fans.

I do fall on the side of devs in the divide. I thought Deathloop was one of the best games I've played in years. A truly immersive experience and it was awesome exploring Blackreef and slowly peeling away the layers of the story. Deathloop did it while mostly nixing some of what I'd always considered to be core elements of ImSim design (Character RPG mechanics and player agency in the narrative), which has me thinking that maybe those aren't as necessary as I'd previously thought. Dishonored had already moved away from the RPG mechanics while Prey went heavier on them.

By the same token, I think Redfall was built on some very poor foundational ideas. Open world is just not what the genre needs, imo. I think that was a bigger problem than the multiplayer aspect.
I agree with basically everything you said, but I do think an open world immersive sim can work. It didn't in Redfall's case, and I actually think many of the ideas behind Redfall are sound (Arkane making a Borderlands/Far Cry could be awesome, but it obviously didn't come together).

Prey and Deus Ex are kind of open with hubs and interconnected levels, and I can see an argument for finding a way to maintain that design but remove the loading screens and make it one interconnected map. Clearly Redfall's approach wasn't the answer but I do hope someone tries again.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So, that's close to 5 million PS5 players then because they were at 35 million back in February when they announced the PS5 port, but that also fails to account for the possibility that MS just likes having only round numbers and the actual playercount was like 37 million in Feb
It only counts xbox, pc and steam per the post

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
It only counts xbox, pc and steam per the post
Ah, that makes much more sense since SoT isn't even out yet on PS5, I guess that's what I get for only reading the Tweet.

Still though, up to 5 million players in just two months. Seems like a hell of an improvement, likely brought about because of the hype surrounding the game's PS5 port being announced

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I agree with basically everything you said, but I do think an open world immersive sim can work. It didn't in Redfall's case, and I actually think many of the ideas behind Redfall are sound (Arkane making a Borderlands/Far Cry could be awesome, but it obviously didn't come together).

Prey and Deus Ex are kind of open with hubs and interconnected levels, and I can see an argument for finding a way to maintain that design but remove the loading screens and make it one interconnected map. Clearly Redfall's approach wasn't the answer but I do hope someone tries again.

Even with all of Prey combined, it's tiny compared to Redfall. I remember Klob proudly posting about all of Prey fitting into one district of one map of Redfall. He thought that was great, that's when I started to worry about the game panning out. Expecting the same-sized team to make a world with the detail of Prey in a game 10x the size of Prey is a losing proposition. A smaller open world, sure, I guess. I just think there's real benefit to using level-based design (Talos-1's sections basically work like this, Dishonored levels, Deus Ex levels, even Redfalls 4 zones) for these types of games. With levels, you get to densely pack in all of your creative level design ideas.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Even with all of Prey combined, it's tiny compared to Redfall. I remember Klob proudly posting about all of Prey fitting into one district of one map of Redfall. He thought that was great, that's when I started to worry about the game panning out. Expecting the same-sized team to make a world with the detail of Prey in a game 10x the size of Prey is a losing proposition. A smaller open world, sure, I guess. I just think there's real benefit to using level-based design (Talos-1's sections basically work like this, Dishonored levels, Deus Ex levels, even Redfalls 4 zones) for these types of games.
I don't disagree. It would need to be smaller than Redfall to maintain the same level of detail (the whole "game set in one city block" concept that Warren Spector had etc etc etc, which ironically Mankind Divided got pretty close to).

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Ah, that makes much more sense since SoT isn't even out yet on PS5, I guess that's what I get for only reading the Tweet.

Still though, up to 5 million players in just two months. Seems like a hell of an improvement, likely brought about because of the hype surrounding the game's PS5 port being announced
All those Skull and Bones players bailed and went to SoT

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm really excited to see the April NPD results. I wonder what place the Sea of Thieves PS5 port is going to chart at, both for Playstation and as a whole

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I just don't believe they lied about Starfield targeting the first half.

I actually think there's a decent chance that Fable will be spring/summer 2025, but we'll see.

I certainly dont think these companies are beyond misleading consumers knowing the nature of game delays being almost guaranteed. Even Sony announced God of War: Ragnarok for 2021 to keep the PS5 launch hype going lol. And given that MS was in the middle of a barren 2022, its not a coincidence that they promised every 2023 game of their's in the first half of the year as opposed to being honest and saying "some of these are closer to a year and a half away".

But anyways, Fable coming early to mid 2025 is tricky to see happening because I am expecting that they would consider it to be an "event launch". Meaning they'd have Fable plastered on Dorito bags and other costly promotional expenses for a big game launch. And given thats how they intend to promote their consoles during the holidays it probably saves money to launch it then. As it is Xbox related ad efforts feel non-existent outside the holidays now. So all that has to be considered.

Would love for it to happen though, I think Xbox really needs a year filled with big games scattered throughout it to get people's attention again

Oct 27, 2017

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida

I'm really excited for this. I feel like this is an aesthetic we haven't got much from a Metroidvania and the developers are great.

My only concern is might be a bit too slow.

Oh my god, they're thanking the pirates.

Condoning piracy, Rare!?

( :p )

Feb 27, 2019
A bit off topic here, but looks like Hot Wheels Unleashed 2 is another stealth Play Anywhere title that doesn't have the proper metadata tag on the Xbox store.

It's so annoying when this happens—Play Anywhere is one of the best things about the Xbox ecosystem and MS can't even be bothered to get the tag on all the titles it supports (Lies of P being another example).

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
I think the likelihood of it charting high is very likely at this point. We're 13 days from release, and it's already at #11 on the best sellers list in the US, ahead of some very notable and prominent titles.

and i think in the preorder list of best sellings is as well very in the top , i think its like number two or 3 in the top sellers of the top preorders list, is doing pretty good numbers in PS

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I wonder if Sea of Thieves' servers are going to crash on 4/30 when the PS5 port launches... hopefully Microsoft allocates enough server space for everyone because a solid launch really is key

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
A bit off topic here, but looks like Hot Wheels Unleashed 2 is another stealth Play Anywhere title that doesn't have the proper metadata tag on the Xbox store.

It's so annoying when this happens—Play Anywhere is one of the best things about the Xbox ecosystem and MS can't even be bothered to get the tag on all the titles it supports (Lies of P being another example).

Is it actually Play Anywhere as in "cross buy"?

Oct 27, 2017
Sort of crazy how a show can reignite the sales of old games in substantial ways. These Fallout games must be moving meaningful and significant numbers at this point. These rankings are, of course, constantly changing. This is top 50 for xbox/playstation stores and top 100 global steam.

us xbox store
2 - fallout 4 goty
9 - fallout new vegas
13 - fallout 3
40 - fallout 4
50 - fallout 76 atlantic city deluxe edition

uk xbox store
4 - fallout 4 goty
9 - fallout new vegas
18 - fallout 3
22 - fallout 4

japan xbox store
1 - fallout 4 goty
5 - fallout new vegas
6 - fallout 3
43 - fallout 4

steam
6 - fallout 4
7 - fallout 4 goty
9 - fallout 76
18 - fallout franchise bundle
39 - fallout 3 goty
64 - fallout 4 vr
96 - fallout tactics brotherhood of steel

us playstation store
19 - fallout 4
22 - fallout 76

uk playstation store
13 - fallout 4
18 - fallout 76
A good or entertaining show can definitely get you in the mood for the franchise. Especially if the lore is interesting, watching Halo got me hooked wanting to invest in the franchise but I want something more that just an fps.
Do it Phil, hit the green light button.

Co-dev with inXile. Brian Fargo, Tim Cain, and Josh Swayer all together
I mean Xbox is already the home of wrpgs, let's just go crazy now!
I knooooow
I should

I have so many games I want to play.
So little time.
Yes I know this is a privilege
Game pass has been a death sentence for my backlog lol, trying rectify it now though. Finally started Ori.
That's honestly not a bad idea. Especially considering no Fallout media even touches Canada. Could technically do Mexico too. I believe it's US occupied at the time.
Oh, I'd love a Mexico Fallout. Definitely a lot of potential there.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Game pass has been a death sentence for my backlog lol, trying rectify it now though. Finally started Ori.

Kind of made a list of everything I'd like to go through this summer before more games hit later. But let's be honest, I'm probably only going to finish 4-5 of those over that timeframe. 🥶

Owned
Assassin's Creed Mirage

Game Pass
Control - DLC The Foundation
Control - DLC AWE
Psychonauts 2
Resident Evil 2 Remake - Leon B
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Fallout New Vegas (+DLCs)
Fallout 4 (+DLCs)
Star Wars Jedi Survivor
Prey