• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I don't have a problem with either voiced or voiceless protagonists. I would just change the camera angle during dialogue. The static close up is a little bland. This is one area I felt Starfield was a step down from Fallout 4.

Even something like KotOR on the original Xbox—which had a voiceless protagonist—using a shot-reverse-shot that was pretty effective.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Avowed appears to be doing something like this.
I think this is an example where nuanced criticism is necessary (both giving it and seeking it out/accepting it). BGS were clearly reacting to Fallout 4's criticism but during that process some positive aspects (camera angle) got lost in the negative aspects (voiced protagonist, simplified dialogue etc).

Not easy to get the balance but hopefully they'll dial it in for TES.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think they probably thought that Grounded + Pentiment would at least give them something in that fall. But yeah, not ideal for Pentiment (worked out for Grounded though).
That was a pretty light holiday season for Xbox, as far as first-party titles go. I understand why they released those games when they did, all things considered. But obviously that's not really the ideal.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
That was a pretty light holiday season for Xbox, as far as first-party titles go. I understand why they released those games when they did, all things considered. But obviously that's not really the ideal.
Sure, and I think Xbox themselves would admit that more than anyone. It's what they had, and hey, at least they were both fantastic games that made splashes in their own way.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I don't even know if I would even consider Grounded a release considering it had been in early access for like 2 years, lol.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I don't even know if I would even consider Grounded a release considering it had been in early access for like 2 years, lol.
That's fair. I think it counts but obviously it doesn't have as much excitement as a game that hasn't been available. But even then, would you not count Hades or BG 3 as releases just because they'd been in EA?

I know Grounded isn't Hades or BG in terms of mainstream appeal, but it's still a big success in large part due to EA (and much of that success was after 1.0). That's when I played it.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
That's fair. I think it counts but obviously it doesn't have as much excitement as a game that hasn't been available. But even then, would you not count Hades or BG 3 as releases just because they'd been in EA?

I know Grounded isn't Hades or BG in terms of mainstream appeal, but it's still a big success in large part due to EA (and much of that success was after 1.0). That's when I played it.

I guess I look at Grounded differently than BG3 because it comes across as a GaaS where it was just part of the plan to roll out content and features over time whereas BG3 was like here's the first third of the game lol.

Either way it worked out for them, but that's why I don't really look at it as a release. I guess it was a pretty sizeable update though.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I guess I look at Grounded differently than BG3 because it comes across as a GaaS where it was just part of the plan to roll out content and features over time whereas BG3 was like here's the first third of the game lol.

Either way it worked out for them, but that's why I don't really look at it as a release. I guess it was a pretty sizeable update though.
I don't think they're that different but to each their own.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Assuming the Fallout 3 remaster doesn't happen soon, I think they can get away with relying on the back catalogue titles for Season 1. The jump that 4, 76, 3 and NV are experiencing is WILD.

But obviously for Season 2, people will have already gone back to the old games so they can't rely on that. Maybe they should save the Fallout 3 remaster for Season 2, or try and get a New Vegas remaster going by then.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Assuming the Fallout 3 remaster doesn't happen soon, I think they can get away with relying on the back catalogue titles for Season 1. The jump that 4, 76, 3 and NV are experiencing is WILD.

But obviously for Season 2, people will have already gone back to the old games so they can't rely on that. Maybe they should save the Fallout 3 remaster for Season 2, or try and get a New Vegas remaster going by then.
They should focus on Morrowind and Oblivion remasters for this year anyway. #TES30

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I agree but Mr Evil 37 is right. Not going to happen. I can imagine what they would do to Morrowind if it was remastered. Waypoints, updating the combat, reducing the number of Cliff Racers. It would be insanity.
Honestly, I don't need a Morrowind "remaster." I'd be happy with a port. I just want it playable on more platforms, and if it had cross save, all the better.

I just want to play it on my Switch :(

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I agree but Mr Evil 37 is right. Not going to happen. I can imagine what they would do to Morrowind if it was remastered. Waypoints, updating the combat, reducing the number of Cliff Racers. It would be insanity.
Morrowind would need a full remake and that's just not on the cards. It would essentially take the same resources as making a new game and BGS would rather make a new game.

I do think Oblivion (and Fallout 3) will get the remaster as per the leaks. No idea when though. If I were them, I would save them for when there's a gap in the schedule but the hype around the show may interfere with that.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
amazing show, amazing game, amazing everything, well done and congrats to the teams at bethesda for this amazing success!!

I would really like to be the invisible man right now because i just want to know is the next fallout be exclusive on xbox and of course pc? all fallout games are everywhere including playstation, after the show the fallout franchise is donig good numbers on psn store globally and on ps plus ( many fallout games are on ps plus), and if they do REMASTERS of previous titles, those remasters are going to playstation as well, and with this recent multiplatform pivot, what do you think guys, fallout 5 is exclusive 100%?

PD: i remember aaron greemberg saying TES was going to be exclusive but that was years before this Multiplatform pivot, any opinions on this topic? starfield was understable, new IP, but IMO i think the exclusivity was a mistake seeing the long term legs of the game (in my opinion) but fallout and TES being exclusive I think would harm the IP, but i could be wrong and this is only my opinion of course and I respect everyone else opinions

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
amazing show, amazing game, amazing everything, well done and congrats to the teams at bethesda for this amazing success!!

I would really like to be the invisible man right now because i just want to know is the next fallout be exclusive on xbox and of course pc? all fallout games are everywhere including playstation, after the show the fallout franchise is donig good numbers on psn store globally and on ps plus ( many fallout games are on ps plus), and if they do REMASTERS of previous titles, those remasters are going to playstation as well, and with this recent multiplatform pivot, what do you think guys, fallout 5 is exclusive 100%?

PD: i remember aaron greemberg saying TES was going to be exclusive but that was years before this Multiplatform pivot, any opinions on this topic? starfield was understable, new IP, but IMO i think the exclusivity was a mistake seeing the long term legs of the game (in my opinion) but fallout and TES being exclusive I think would harm the IP, but i could be wrong and this is only my opinion of course and I respect everyone else opinions

It's so far away who knows how far they have pivoted in the multi platform direction, or even away from it. I wouldn't worry about something that is years away yet.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Fallout 5 is so far away that it is hard to know. I guess if they are still caring about console sales at the time it releases, it would be a very good idea to make it exclusive. If they are fully on their new pivot by then, I would imagine it would be on Playstation.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Fallout 5 is so far away that it is hard to know. I guess if they are still caring about console sales at the time it releases, it would be a very good idea to make it exclusive. If they are fully on their new pivot by then, I would imagine it would be on Playstation.
Yeah, it depends on not only what Xbox's policy by then is, but also what the state of the industry is.

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021

At the very least I expect it will be a timed exclusive, but if I had to put money on it right now I'd still put it on full exclusive since it is a 'system seller' level game.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
You know, something I was thinking of.

I really want a new Morrowind.

Doing a new game, instead of remaking the older one, is not only a way to please the hardcore "don't change a thing" folks, but also craft a game in the world with new controls. It also doesn't step on the TES6 toes. You'd have a completely different team (you know there's plenty of teams we could want working on it).

Make a new game in a different time period. There's something about exploring that island in one of the conversion mods or ESO with an updated control scheme and combat system that just feels right. Maybe have it take place right after MW and before the events that led to the destruction of the island. I think in the lore there wasn't much time, but that makes it a perfect opportunity to do a self contained story.

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022

I'm surprised by how many people underestimate the impact on sales of a good and popular film/TV show. Video games were usually "merchandising" for big and popular films/TV shows. So, it makes sense that when one videogame IP becomes a successful movie or TV series, every game from the franchise explodes on popularity.

Not everything is going to be Fallout, The Last of Us or the Mario movie, but I think that MS, Sony and Nintendo have a good chance to expand the gaming audience through the transmedia initiative.

And having so many "old" games to remaster is another good chance to monetise the new visibility.

MonadoX

Apr 1, 2022
if Dragon Age hits this year i'll be in RPG heaven, along with Avowed
Yep. Been pretty much a RPG year for me. With both Jrpgs and Wrpgs. Currently absolutely loving Starfield. Already finished off Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty, Persona 3 Reload, and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth so far this year.

Adilson

Jul 28, 2022
Has this game already been posted here? it looks so cool and interesting!! and it is also planned to arrive on xbox!:

youtu.be

Moon Samurai - Official Kickstarter Trailer

Moon Samurai is a 2D sci-fi action metroidvania platformer developed by Nunchaku Games. Players will assume the role of a young warrior to defeat a corrupted...

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I'm surprised by how many people underestimate the impact on sales of a good and popular film/TV show. Video games were usually "merchandising" for big and popular films/TV shows. So, it makes sense that when one videogame IP becomes a successful movie or TV series, every game from the franchise explodes on popularity.

Not everything is going to be Fallout, The Last of Us or the Mario movie, but I think that MS, Sony and Nintendo have a good chance to expand the gaming audience through the transmedia initiative.

And having so many "old" games to remaster is another good chance to monetise the new visibility.
Mattrick redeemed

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Yeah with how easy it is to consume media nowdays and how big gaming has gotten, going in on transmedia prosperities makes a heap of sense. If the TV show or movie is really good and hits with people, then itis only natural that some of those people will go looking for other ways to consume that product.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
MS and BGS are for sure, right this second, trying to align a Fallout series remaster with Season 2 of the TV series. Maybe its the Next Xbox Console, Fallout 3 Remake and Fallout Season 2 in 2026?

(This is me willing this into existence)

Jan 4, 2018

Fallout and TES should release on Playstation day one (I think that will be the case anyway). Those IPs and communities are way too big to be exclusive to a console install base that is only going to be smaller and smaller by the years and that barely exists in Europe and Asia. That would just harm those IPs like for Call of Duty or Minecraft.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I know it's better for Cities Skyline 2 to launch on Xbox when it's really ready, considering the state the game's in, but between that and Darktide (and surely others I'm forgetting), I'm really starting to get upset as an Xbox player that has heard a lot of promises over the years.

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I know it's better for Cities Skyline 2 to launch on Xbox when it's really ready, considering the state the game's in, but between that and Darktide (and surely others I'm forgetting), I'm really starting to get upset as an Xbox player that has had heard a lot of promises over the years.
They're third party studios. It's not even Xbox specific as the ps5 version is delayed too. But microsoft did make some big swings for day1 game pass that havent panned out well at launch lol. Darktide, payday 3, skylines… all of which seemed like slam dunks

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
MS and BGS are for sure, right this second, trying to align a Fallout series remaster with Season 2 of the TV series. Maybe its the Next Xbox Console, Fallout 3 Remake and Fallout Season 2 in 2026?

(This is me willing this into existence)
I have to imagine MS pushing to get another studio on Fallout if BGS can't. The IP sitting for so long is not good, need someone actively working on it.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
They're third party studios. It's not even Xbox specific as the ps5 version is delayed too. But microsoft did make some big swings for day1 game pass that havent panned out well at launch lol. Darktide, payday 3, skylines… all of which seemed like slam dunks

Well, yeah but it's not like Xbox is making a lot of effort on their own games for console players (the one delayed release that's particularly shocking to me is Gears Tactics because of the console history for the franchise and because we all knew that kind of gameplay was always going to work great on consoles - sure it was only a delay of a few months, but still...).

Age of Mythology being day one on console is clearly the anomaly, not the norm we should be used to.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Yep. Been pretty much a RPG year for me. With both Jrpgs and Wrpgs. Currently absolutely loving Starfield. Already finished off Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty, Persona 3 Reload, and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth so far this year.

yeah finished LAD.IW, yet to play Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty, then theirs Metaphore!!

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
I know it's better for Cities Skyline 2 to launch on Xbox when it's really ready, considering the state the game's in, but between that and Darktide (and surely others I'm forgetting), I'm really starting to get upset as an Xbox player that has heard a lot of promises over the years.
you really don't want cities skyline 2 right now. and also didn't want darktide before. darktide is great now tho and on xbox.

Age of Mythology being day one on console is clearly the anomaly, not the norm we should be used to.
why are you comparing first party to third party stuff? looking for stuff to complain about tbh

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
It's on those devs, not on Xbox. The Darktide situation was a mess and I'm sure Xbox had strong words for Fatshark about it.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
why are you comparing first party to third party stuff? looking for stuff to complain about tbh

Because it's all part of Game Pass?
Isn't Game Pass still a product? A product that I subscribe to based on what are the upcoming dated games?

I'm saying there are a lot of games that are announced for Game Pass that end up coming much later for console, where I play. Some delays are expected because the console version is not announced (mostly first-party stuff, another issue anyway), and some are a surprise just before a release ("turns out the console version is delayed a year").