• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I posted the below in another thread, but I think it's worth reposting here. It does seem like Fallout is super, super popular among people in Europe. The fact that Fallout 4 being at $5 is #2 here is super impressive, since this is all revenue based. I screen captured the below screenshot at the noted time in the image below.

View: https://imgur.com/a/y7ElvoT

Unquestionably, Fallout is doing numbers, but all I see here is, "Holy shit way to go RimWorld"

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020

insider-gaming.com

Could Call of Duty Be Coming To xCloud or Xbox Game Pass Soon?

Could Xbox be gearing up to bring Call of Duty to xCloud and Xbox Game Pass in the near future? An image from the mobile app suggests so.
I hate to burst your bubble but non-xCloud games show up on the app like that all the time. Looking at my app I have similar things for Black Ops 2, the COD hub, Destiny 2 and Mortal Kombat 1.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
One thing I will say seeing all the Towerborne previews and footage is that it would be a great candidate for a mobile game in addition to console (and I dont mean Xcloud.) With King in the house, I think MS should be doing more in terms of expanding their IP to native mobile

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
One thing I will say seeing all the Towerborne previews and footage is that it would be a great candidate for a mobile game in addition to console (and I dont mean Xcloud.) With King in the house, I think MS should be doing more in terms of expanding their IP to native mobile
That's a good point actually, having a native mobile version of the game definitely seems like a really good idea if they can pull it off. Especially if they do actually have plans to do a "Game Pass mobile" with a mix of native games and games through xCloud...

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Absolutely. The controls are simple enough and the missions are bite sized enough that itd be a great mobile game

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024

View: https://x.com/DeekeTweak/status/1780979295315243326

I have been playing on xbox since the 360 era, right now I play mostly in my Series X, sometimes I play on Switch or PlayStation (exclusives for both) but mostly I play on Series X, seeing this article today and visiting the PS Store, yeah I see those games on the TOP charts, and Sea of Thieves will do big numbers on playstation, its pretty clear in my opinion

reading this article and seeing the evidence in the PS Store, i ask myself this and I ask people from this Xbox OT, is this good news? is good news for microsoft/xbox but for the people who isnt that happy about this multiplatform pivot from Xbox, and i am sure some here really doesnt want to to be successfull and MS to really abandon this pivot, seeing those numbers, those games in the chart, sea of thieves possibly doing great, i think this isnt great news, i think MS seeing this (internally possibly even more detailed) they will get the conclusion that.... if they keep releasing games on other platforms in this case PlayStation really doesnt matter what people say online, games will keep selling, and no amount of backlash will do anything

Just imagine what kind of numbers starfield would do on PS if announced/ported, or games like Age of Empires, or the next Fallout or TES

as an xbox player myself I feel that i have to start getting use to the idea that at any time , some day when I wake up I will check twitter and see the news of "hey 4 more games coming to PS and switch" and well, it is what it is right? dont know how to feel about it but I think I have to start to accept it and move on

this kind of news that already got the attention of Jez and Tom Warren will just show MS and Xbox (they already know of course) that launch games on other platforms is very lucrative and this "only 4 games" will become even more and more after some years, time will tell but this is how I feel.

EDIT 1: i am really really happy for Microsoft/Xbox and bethesda success of fallout franchise doing incredible numbers among all platforms but seeing this level of success and then Xbox saying FALLOUT 5 is xbox/pc exclusive and no playstation will really makes no sense when Fallout is getting world recognition and selling tons on units in playstation as well to suddenly the next entry to be exclusive, i think the show and the sales of fallout franchise is another punch to go ahead even more with this Multiplatform pivot.... I feel weird, but it is what it is

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I'm not going to rush out and sign up for an Xbox credit card, but the rewards on that are pretty decent for a no annual fee card. 5% return on purchases on the digital Microsoft Store (so not on consoles or Surfaces, I imagine fake edit: it actually does include consoles and computers purchased through the consumer Microsoft Store), 3% on eligible streaming services and dining delivery services, and 1% on everything else. The sign up bonus is essentially $50 in Microsoft Store credit, plus three months of GPU for people who don't currently have Game Pass but are still getting an Xbox credit card, which I imagine is not that many people but who knows.

You can get the card customized with your Gamertag, which is...cool I guess, for people who are into that sort of thing. I think they're sort of missing an opportunity by having five designs that are all pretty similar instead of having designs that feature their actual games or characters, but that's something that could always come later. If I were Microsoft, I'd look at the Disney card for inspiration here, both in terms of using characters that people love and also in terms of making it easy for cardholders to swap out their cards when new designs come out.

Requisite reminder not to ever get a credit card with the intent to carry a balance on it long term, as the interest rate you have to pay always far exceeds the benefit of the rewards.

reading this article and seeing the evidence in the PS Store, i ask myself this and I ask people from this Xbox OT, is this good news?

Microsoft having more games on the top charts on PS than Sony probably has just as much to do with Sony not releasing much lately than it does with Microsoft releasing giant games. Like, don't get me wrong, I'm happy that Sea of Thieves might finally get the attention and respect it deserves as a massive game, but Grounded (as much as I love it) would probably not be in the top 25 on PS if Sony didn't have such an empty release slate since Spider-Man.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
as an xbox player myself I feel that i have to start getting use to the idea that at any time , some day when I wake up I will check twitter and see the news of "hey 4 more games coming to PS and switch" and well, it is what it is right? dont know how to feel about it but I think I have to start to accept it and move on

this kind of news that already got the attention of Jez and Tom Warren will just show MS and Xbox (they already know of course) that launch games on other platforms is very lucrative and this "only 4 games" will become even more and more after some years, time will tell but this is how I feel.
This is what I've said since they first announced this. The step they took absolutely ends with every game multiplat day and date. I've accepted it and moved to PC. You should make your peace with it too and either switch platforms or decide that you are OK with such a situation. Earlier you do the less impactful it'll be when it eventually happens.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
Microsoft having more games on the top charts on PS than Sony probably has just as much to do with Sony not releasing much lately than it does with Microsoft releasing giant games. Like, don't get me wrong, I'm happy that Sea of Thieves might finally get the attention and respect it deserves as a massive game, but Grounded (as much as I love it) would probably not be in the top 25 on PS if Sony didn't have such an empty release slate since Spider-Man.

i just dont want to wake up some day and see the news from tom warren or jez corden or whoever with some kind of good reputation saying "scoop: more Xbox games being portes to PS, this are the games, and more to come" just writing this is like some gut weird feeling

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
i just dont want to wake up some day and see the news from tom warren or jez corden or whoever with some kind of good reputation saying "scoop: more Xbox games being portes to PS, this are the games, and more to come" just writing this is like some gut weird feeling
Why, though? I guess I'm not sure how you think more Xbox games being eventually ported to other platforms would actually affect you. Is it because you think that would signal a lessening of support for Xbox? Because they're supporting Xbox with more development now than they ever have before. If the flipside of that is some games getting ported to other platforms, is that really such a bad thing? Would you prefer they keep running Xbox like the back half of the Xbox One era? Because that was the time when I had my faith in the platform tested.

We're all in this thread acting like the decision to dramatically spin up Xbox development resources and the decision to release a few games on other platforms were two separate decisions. I'm not sure they are, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they're two sides of the same coin, if releasing some games on other platforms is the thing Microsoft has to do to make the dramatic increase in Xbox development make sense.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I'm not going to rush out and sign up for an Xbox credit card, but the rewards on that are pretty decent for a no annual fee card. 5% return on purchases on the digital Microsoft Store (so not on consoles or Surfaces, I imagine fake edit: it actually does include consoles and computers purchased through the consumer Microsoft Store), 3% on eligible streaming services and dining delivery services, and 1% on everything else. The sign up bonus is essentially $50 in Microsoft Store credit, plus three months of GPU for people who don't currently have Game Pass but are still getting an Xbox credit card, which I imagine is not that many people but who knows.

You can get the card customized with your Gamertag, which is...cool I guess, for people who are into that sort of thing. I think they're sort of missing an opportunity by having five designs that are all pretty similar instead of having designs that feature their actual games or characters, but that's something that could always come later. If I were Microsoft, I'd look at the Disney card for inspiration here, both in terms of using characters that people love and also in terms of making it easy for cardholders to swap out their cards when new designs come out.

Requisite reminder not to ever get a credit card with the intent to carry a balance on it long term, as the interest rate you have to pay always far exceeds the benefit of the rewards.

wonder how the card ends up doing?

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022

View: https://x.com/DeekeTweak/status/1780979295315243326

I have been playing on xbox since the 360 era, right now I play mostly in my Series X, sometimes I play on Switch or PlayStation (exclusives for both) but mostly I play on Series X, seeing this article today and visiting the PS Store, yeah I see those games on the TOP charts, and Sea of Thieves will do big numbers on playstation, its pretty clear in my opinion

reading this article and seeing the evidence in the PS Store, i ask myself this and I ask people from this Xbox OT, is this good news? is good news for microsoft/xbox but for the people who isnt that happy about this multiplatform pivot from Xbox, and i am sure some here really doesnt want to to be successfull and MS to really abandon this pivot, seeing those numbers, those games in the chart, sea of thieves possibly doing great, i think this isnt great news, i think MS seeing this (internally possibly even more detailed) they will get the conclusion that.... if they keep releasing games on other platforms in this case PlayStation really doesnt matter what people say online, games will keep selling, and no amount of backlash will do anything

Just imagine what kind of numbers starfield would do on PS if announced/ported, or games like Age of Empires, or the next Fallout or TES

EDIT 1: i am really really happy for Microsoft/Xbox and bethesda success of fallout franchise doing incredible numbers among all platforms but seeing this level of success and then Xbox saying FALLOUT 5 is xbox/pc exclusive and no playstation will really makes no sense when Fallout is getting world recognition and selling tons on units in playstation as well to suddenly the next entry to be exclusive, i think the show and the sales of fallout franchise is another punch to go ahead even more with this Multiplatform pivot.... I feel weird, but it is what it is

You shouldn't have to apologise for disliking the idea of porting their games to PlayStation and Nintendo consoles.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida

A bit of a sensationalist title for the story, but I can't lie that I'm eating it all the way up.

Microsoft has been struggling quite a bit since it's first launch and it's biggest success also included one of, it not the, biggest failure.

It feels like they're doing all the rights things to right the ship. I've questioned some choices and hated some, but porting to other consoles isn't one of them. I think it's perfectly great. Let the exclusive die - they can't really push a system full of exclusives at the moment. But maybe they can do that again someday.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I hate to break it to you, but you're going to be seeing more of those headlines in the future. Realistically those first four games were never going to be the only ones barring all of them failing catastrophically. More than likely though the porting initiative is probably going to be focused primarily on just the GAAS games and other games with long term support.

So stuff like Zenimax's next MMO, Age of Empires/Mythology, Towerborne, Contraband and maybe even Forza Horizon and Gears will probably all be going multiplatform in the future. It just makes sense when you look at how the games industry is going right now.

But really, do late ports of GAAS games or smaller games really hurt Xbox in any tangible way? Microsoft is gambling that the answer to that question is no, and realistically, they're probably right. They'll probably fumble and port a game or two that might actually damage Xbox (beyond just Hi-Fi Rush which flopped on Playstation) but ultimately I think that Microsoft will be fine and manage to have a good enough strategy with their exclusives. But realistically I don't think we'll be seeing games like Hellblade 2, Starfield or Avowed getting ported any time soon. They're single purchase games that also attract people to the Xbox eco-system, and any extra revenue from Playstation and Nintendo would likely be marginal compared to the revenue from other games/Game Pass

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Why, though? I guess I'm not sure how you think more Xbox games being eventually ported to other platforms would actually affect you. Is it because you think that would signal a lessening of support for Xbox? Because they're supporting Xbox with more development now than they ever have before. If the flipside of that is some games getting ported to other platforms, is that really such a bad thing? Would you prefer they keep running Xbox like the back half of the Xbox One era? Because that was the time when I had my faith in the platform tested.

We're all in this thread acting like the decision to dramatically spin up Xbox development resources and the decision to release a few games on other platforms were two separate decisions. I'm not sure they are, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they're two sides of the same coin, if releasing some games on other platforms is the thing Microsoft has to do to make the dramatic increase in Xbox development make sense.

Agree, also More games for xbox/GP is what i want as a gamer, and more games than everrrrrr are coming :)

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ

This is good! The words on how they're exploring official M&K for console is intriguing too, presumably a switch to some degree of input-based matchmaking rather than platform-based. But I also need top minds at Blizzard to work out asap how to

🗣️ Put Steam Deck players in the console pool w/ aim assist for quick play

Switch 2 players will presumably come in with gyro and 60fps for console pool. Shake things up sooner.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
This is good! The words on how they're exploring official M&K for console is intriguing too, presumably a switch to some degree of input-based matchmaking rather than platform-based. But I also need top minds at Blizzard to work out asap how to

🗣️ Put Steam Deck players in the console pool w/ aim assist for quick play

Switch 2 players will presumably come in with gyro and 60fps for console pool. Shake things up sooner.

Really wish they let me go to console pool on something like Steam Deck and Rog Ally.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Here's a question: if Forza Horizon has shifted to 3+ year cadence and always gets announced at Showcase in June for release at holiday that year, should Horizon launch a port of the game in that 6 month period prior to June?

For example, FH6 is releasing this year (you know it is) and comes in November 2024.

FH5 will have been exclusive for 3 years at that point with no DLC since Q1 2023 (just live service stuff).

Would a FH5 releasing in April-May on PlayStation be a bad idea? They basically get the game very late similar to Grounded in a way but it's also more or less the complete package. Then, if they want the latest and greatest it's only available on Xbox for the first 2.5 ish years.

I think maybe they didnt do it this time (horizon too high profile/controversial, too many live servicey titles from them in April with these four )but following this pattern could be in the cards given where MS will be in .. 2027?

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
If they start releasing things like Halo/Gears/Forza on other consoles, I have no reason to buy these boxes.

So, it might be good for the brand. But it ain't good for me.

Lui

Sep 22, 2022
I hate to break it to you, but you're going to be seeing more of those headlines in the future. Realistically those first four games were never going to be the only ones barring all of them failing catastrophically. More than likely though the porting initiative is probably going to be focused primarily on just the GAAS games and other games with long term support.

So stuff like Zenimax's next MMO, Age of Empires/Mythology, Towerborne, Contraband and maybe even Forza Horizon and Gears will probably all be going multiplatform in the future. It just makes sense when you look at how the games industry is going right now.

But really, do late ports of GAAS games or smaller games really hurt Xbox in any tangible way? Microsoft is gambling that the answer to that question is no, and realistically, they're probably right. They'll probably fumble and port a game or two that might actually damage Xbox (beyond just Hi-Fi Rush which flopped on Playstation) but ultimately I think that Microsoft will be fine and manage to have a good enough strategy with their exclusives. But realistically I don't think we'll be seeing games like Hellblade 2, Starfield or Avowed getting ported any time soon. They're single purchase games that also attract people to the Xbox eco-system, and any extra revenue from Playstation and Nintendo would likely be marginal compared to the revenue from other games/Game Pass
Yeah presumably under MS's shift to maximizing revenue at the potential cost of the Xbox console I don't see how they see SoT's massive numbers on PS5 and don't work on porting their other currently console exclusive gaas to at least PS5. Forza Horizon would do insane numbers on there and at this point the only the only thing that's stopping Forza, Halo, Gears etc from not being on other consoles is the fact that they are Forza, Halo, Gears if you get what I mean.

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
If they start releasing things like Halo/Gears/Forza on other consoles, I have no reason to buy these boxes.

So, it might be good for the brand. But it ain't good for me.

Same, I would likely stop completely buying the consoles. It's something that will not yield long term results for them, particulary for their core single player games (GaaS are another beast altogether). MS surely ain't that stupid.
They did say their fundamental strategy hasn't changed.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Here's a question: if Forza Horizon has shifted to 3+ year cadence and always gets announced at Showcase in June for release at holiday that year, should Horizon launch a port of the game in that 6 month period prior to June?

For example, FH6 is releasing this year (you know it is) and comes in November 2024.

😬😬😬

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I think it is something that you have to make peace with. I'm not saying that everything under the Xbox brand is getting ported, but I have a very hard time believing that the new initiative is going to end with just those four games. We have heard plenty of rumors from reputable folks that there are more ports planned. I used to think that there was no way that Starfield would end up on a PlayStation console, but at this point I think it is more likely than not. If the games being ported now show success for Microsoft's bottom line, you better believe they are going to port more games.

If you enjoy playing in the Xbox ecosystem, then continue to support it by purchasing your games through the Xbox store. That is really all you can do. There is no way of knowing where the industry will be in say 10 years time.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think it is something that you have to make peace with. I'm not saying that everything under the Xbox brand is getting ported, but I have a very hard time believing that the new initiative is going to end with just those four games. We have heard plenty of rumors from reputable folks that there are more ports planned. I used to think that there was no way that Starfield would end up on a PlayStation console, but at this point I think it is more likely than not. If the games being ported now show success for Microsoft's bottom line, you better believe they are going to port more games.

If you enjoy playing in the Xbox ecosystem, then continue to support it by purchasing your games through the Xbox store. That is really all you can do. There is no way of knowing where the industry will be in say 10 years time.
I will say that I do think Microsoft might have been surprised by just how intensely negative the reaction to the news was from some corners of the Xbox sphere. Loyal users were talking about it like it was some sort of betrayal of trust, and that's something any business wants to avoid. So I do think they're going to proceed cautiously, at least for a while.

I can't wait to see the 19 @ notifications that spring up during the Showcase when everyone repents and begs for forgiveness for doubting.
I think there's a good chance that it gets announced in the showcase...for a 2025 release.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

FH5 will have been exclusive for 3 years at that point with no DLC since Q1 2023 (just live service stuff).

Would a FH5 releasing in April-May on PlayStation be a bad idea? They basically get the game very late similar to Grounded in a way but it's also more or less the complete package. Then, if they want the latest and greatest it's only available on Xbox for the first 2.5 ish years.

I think maybe they didnt do it this time (horizon too high profile/controversial, too many live servicey titles from them in April with these four )but following this pattern could be in the cards given where MS will be in .. 2027?
I'll preface this with saying that any GAAS title needs to be day and date to capitalize on the service aspect. Beyond that, kinda depends on the purpose. It creates a kind of functional exclusivity in the sense that the game is exclusive for the entirety of its relevance and takes the heat off Xbox optics by releasing the new one. On the other hand you run the risk of further attrition of Xbox owners by damaging value with creating a pattern of "my favorite game is coming in 2.5 years to another platform with more games consistently".

It's a slippery slope.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will say that I do think Microsoft might have been surprised by just how intensely negative the reaction to the news was from some corners of the Xbox sphere. Loyal users were talking about it like it was some sort of betrayal of trust, and that's something any business wants to avoid. So I do think they're going to proceed cautiously, at least for a while.

It definitely caused a shit storm. I don't expect the flood gates to open and we are suddenly getting Forza Horizon, Starfield, and MFS this year on PlayStation. I'd imagine that they are going to take a step back and look at every angle.

That said, it is going to come down to dollars and cents. If it makes more sense to keep porting games, that is probably where the tide will turn. IMO, Starfield is the big one. If Microsoft has Bethesda port that game then everything is on the table.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon 5 should not be ported. I mean come on. That's your crown jewel. But what do I know. I'm just worried about the viability of the platform.

Will be very interesting what other games (beyond the four) get ported.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Going through what makes me buy a console and exclusive games are a big reason. There are some franchises I would buy a console for. There are some franchises I would wait on. And to me that second group is going to be the problem. Because these franchises that you buy a console for and wait to buy a console for are different for everybody. Like, for me, it's Halo, Gears, Horizon (Playstation), Uncharted, and Metroid. Those are series I will buy consoles for. For others, it's Forza Horizon, God of War, and Zelda.

So, hypothetically, we take away Halo and Gears as exclusives, let's just say. Everything else in the Xbox catalogue is stuff I'd be okay waiting on. So, if I knew FH was going to come out 3 years later. If I knew Starfield was coming out 3 years later. Yeah, I do really like those games. But I'd wait. Because one box plays Halo, Gears, Horizon, and Uncharted. And one only plays half of them.

So, when you start picking away at these games franchises, even if they aren't Halo/Gears/Forza, you are going to start shaving people off imo. That's what I think is going to start happening when they only have a few sacred cows. God help them if they don't even have those. At least console-wise.

thebaconlife

Banned
Oct 2, 2022

ya as a lifelong xbox fan that has been hard for me as well. its been my primary console for 20 years and the ports to me were the last straw that caused me to main PlayStation. between that and no achievement updates I was done. I still hope the multistore handheld is real because that could be a gamechanger that could get me to go back. i think its just the lack of unknown and the lack of trust in xbox that really gets me. I personally feel like all games will be on ps at some point but i also feel like down the line all ps games will be on xbox as well. I also dread the day we see a post from jez saying everything is going to ps. Its not what I want. I like the walled garden approch. Call it fanboying if you want but it is what it is. I just wish if xbox is gonna do it just do it all because all that leaves is questions around every release. new games gets announced oh whens it coming to ps. Fallout 5 gets announced or ES6 oh when is it comming to ps. and yes this is all thier own fault it just isnt fun for the fans. as someone said a while ago it may be good for the bottom line to port everything but its not for me