• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck it, a new predictions post. This is like, an actual fever dream fantasy:

1. Hellblade II comes out at 90+ on opencritic
  2. Indiana Jones comes out at 90+ on opencritic
  3. Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy XVI both get ported to Xbox by end of year
  4. An epic TGS 2024 results in tons of niche Japanese games getting ported (Ys, Atelier, Trails)
  5. People start thinking "damn this console is pretty good"
  6. Console sales start picking up, matching month-over-month sales, each month, with Sony and Nintendo
  7. Shattered Space turns out to be a spectacular DLC
  8. Indiana Jones wins GOTY
  9. Fable and South of Midnight both get confirmed as early 2025 titles. As in, January/February

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

3. Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy XVI both get ported to Xbox by end of year
  4. An epic TGS 2024 results in tons of niche Japanese games getting ported (Ys, Atelier, Trails)
  6. Console sales start picking up, matching month-over-month sales, each month, with Sony and Nintendo
how will Indiana Jones win GOTY at the Keighleys if it releases in December 😔

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Forza Horizon 5 should not be ported. I mean come on. That's your crown jewel. But what do I know. I'm just worried about the viability of the platform.

Will be very interesting what other games (beyond the four) get ported.
I'm of the mind that Xbox pillars (Forza, Gears, Halo, etc) shouldn't be ported. I'm of the mind that new IP also shouldn't be ported. But stuff like say Fallout and TES should be everywhere because they were always everywhere before.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'm of the mind that Xbox pillars (Forza, Gears, Halo, etc) shouldn't be ported. I'm of the mind that new IP also shouldn't be ported. But stuff like say Fallout and TES should be everywhere because they were always everywhere before.
They've already mentioned TES being exclusive, would be a bad look to reverse it right away. In court for FCC they said the next 3 games by Bethesda soft works would be exclusive - so Starfield, ES6, and Fallout 5.

Honestly, I think I'd have zero faith in the future of the platform if they were giving up on big single player games as exclusive.

You can argue with small titles, and games as service. But bringing that style of game to PlayStation is probably a sign the Xbox platform is at an end.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
They've already mentioned TES being exclusive, would be a bad look to reverse it right away. In court for FCC they said the next 3 games by Bethesda soft works would be exclusive - so Starfield, ES6, and Fallout 5.
Pretty sure the latest was Phil's testimony on the stand in which he said it was too early to determine exclusivity and kinda refuted whatever documentation/evidence the FTC was using

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
It's actually insane how much better Starfield looks compared to Fallout 4/76. It's a bit jarring to look at NPCs in 76 lol

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Shattered Space turns out to be a spectacular DLC

I think this is actually decently likely. I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC released for Starfield ends up making the game more well-received over time.

The cut off is sometime in November. Smash Bros Ultimate released in December 2018 and was nominated the following year at the 2019 show.

Specifically, the cutoff is usually the Friday before Thanksgiving, so as to allow games releasing in the Big Pre-Thanksgiving Release Slot to still be eligible for that year's awards.

This year, Xbox Day is actually two Fridays before Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving is late this year, and not surprisingly, the Game Awards are later than usual as well.

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
I don't want the thread to go too far down the negativity hole again, but since we're back on that topic I'll say my piece - as a diehard Xbox fan since the OG (coming from Sega as my main) with Xbox as my main platform - it has me questioning things at the very least, and if it has me questioning things it makes me think there are a ton of others not as invested as I am that must be questioning things even more, which leads into the next point.

I think the overall worry that many have is that without true exclusives fewer and fewer people will have a reason to buy Xbox consoles at all, which will lead to even weaker sales of games on Xbox, which will lead to even less third-party support.

There's also the feeling that even if they don't eventually port everything day and date like many are predicting, and do 1-year timed exclusives for Xbox (or less), we'd essentially just be beta testing games for an eventual release of a more polished game on competitor systems.

On the flip side I still vastly prefer the Xbox console's UI and features, controller, and achievements (though just because I started with them, Trophies are actually the better system and I'm getting a bit tired of waiting on the promised achievements overhaul that seems to have vanished into thin air) - and for the time being there are still plenty of exclusive games to be excited about. Plus day one games in Game Pass.

Once exclusives aren't a thing anymore I don't think I'll have any reason to stay, even with day one exclusives in game pass I'd be happier waiting for the patched and polished version on another platform - so once exclusives are gone so am I. Until then though, I'll enjoy the ride.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Pretty sure the latest was Phil's testimony on the stand in which he said it was too early to determine exclusivity and kinda refuted whatever documentation/evidence the FTC was using
When he was asked about exclusivity from Bethesda

Spencer said, "In order to be on Xbox, I want us to be able to bring the full complete package of what we have. And that would be true when I think about Elder Scrolls VI."

After their lawyer said it was exclusive, and they produced documents saying it was exclusive.

So oif they reverse course I'd take that to mean they are no longer thinking about Xbox first as a platform. I'd consider that the end.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
When he was asked about exclusivity from Bethesda

Spencer said, "In order to be on Xbox, I want us to be able to bring the full complete package of what we have. And that would be true when I think about Elder Scrolls VI."

After their lawyer said it was exclusive, and they produced documents saying it was exclusive.

So oif they reverse course I'd take that to mean they are no longer thinking about Xbox first as a platform. I'd consider that the end.
That quote was from GQ article in Nov 2021. The quote I'm referring to is from June or July 2023. Way different.

www.ign.com

The Elder Scrolls 6 Still 'Five+ Years Away', PlayStation Version Undecided - IGN

Xbox's Phil Spencer has confirmed that The Elder Scrolls 6 is still "many years away", and that Microsoft has yet to decide whether it will launch on PS5.

There was some confusion surrounding The Elder Scrolls 6's potential exclusivity during the trial, as Spencer said previously in his deposition, "I have made public statements that Elder Scrolls 6 will skip PlayStation", but he now says he does not recall doing this.

Now, in court, Spencer spoke about The Elder Scrolls 6's release window and planned platforms: "It's many years away, but it's a game we have announced we would begin working on.

"I think we've been a little unclear on what platforms it will launch on given how far out the game is. It's difficult for us right now to nail down exactly what platforms that game will launch on.

"As I said with Elder Scrolls 6, it's so far out it's hard to understand what the platforms will even be at this point. It's the same team that's finishing Starfield, which comes out this September.

"So we're talking about it being likely five-plus years away."

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Finished the Fallout season.
Damn great 8 hours of television.

I'm totally starting a F4 or New Vegas run soon-ish. I only ever really played 3 fully.

Not an actual spoiler, it's unrelated:
I also just watched 8 episodes of Fallout in a week, while leaving the last episode of Halo Season 2 hanging on the side. 😅

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Honestly, I think I'd have zero faith in the future of the platform if they were giving up on big single player games as exclusive.

You can argue with small titles, and games as service. But bringing that style of game to PlayStation is probably a sign the Xbox platform is at an end.
Bethesda Softworks is the publishing side of ZeniMax. Their next 3 games are just the next 3 games from the entire company. That likely wouldn't cover TES6. I think it's Starfield, Indiana Jones and whatever is after that. Plus again, that's leaving money on the table with no tangible benefit. Now we can argue Starfield wasn't a true test since it's a new IP, but I think the result would be the same.

Everything right now I think is a litmus test for the future.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

www.theverge.com

Microsoft’s gaming chief on Xbox games coming to PS5, next-gen hardware, and more

Microsoft wants to grow Xbox in new ways.

You mentioned that Starfield and Indiana Jones aren't part of the four despite rumors, but will those ever come to PS5? Can you rule that out?
I don't think we should as an industry ever rule out a game going to any other platform. We're focused on these four games and learning from the experience.
But I don't want to create a false expectation on those other platforms that this is somehow the first four to get over the dam and then the dam's going to open and that everything else is coming, that's not the plan today. I also don't want to mislead customers on those other platforms. We're launching these four games, and we're excited about it. We're excited about the announce and everything else, but we'll see what happens for our business.

It comes down to interpretation, but it doesn't seem like Phil is willing to 100% shut down Starfield getting ported like he used to. I'm not saying it is a done deal, but chances are definitely better than 0%.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Bethesda Softworks is the publishing side of ZeniMax. Their next 3 games are just the next 3 games from the entire company. That likely wouldn't cover TES6. I think it's Starfield, Indiana Jones and whatever is after that. Plus again, that's leaving money on the table with no tangible benefit. Now we can argue Starfield wasn't a true test since it's a new IP, but I think the result would be the same.

Everything right now I think is a litmus test for the future.
DOOM Year Zero or Oblivion Remaster :O

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
:)

GLbsnPpXIAAgiXY

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022

9. Fable and South of Midnight both get confirmed as early 2025 titles. As in, January/February
None of these are that crazy lol (maybe the console sales matching Sony and Nintendo)

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
ya-no-mas-luisa-mayorga.gif

FH5 running on fumes on month 40 carrying the franchise with no DLC, no expansions, only new events and eventlab props for the 90th time in a row.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I just wish if xbox is gonna do it just do it all because all that leaves is questions around every release.
I agree with a lot of what you've said but I wanted to pull this bit out and say that as an Xbox gamer, I wish this as well. The worst scenario is the one we are in where it's always a cloud. I'd rather they stop this new push or just go full third party. Because what they are doing now is insidious imo. They expect us to stay no matter how far away from Xbox consoles they move. It's the feeling of being taken for granted. Granted, I haven't purchased anything new and played on Xbox lately, but I don't feel happy to be playing on Xbox rn. I feel stuck.

We'll see how E3 goes.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Fable in 2024 over here.
Forza Horizon 6 in 2024 over there.

What about Contraband launching in 2024?
You will be surprised by it. And you will like it.

DiegoPaulino

Aug 24, 2023
Thank you, Gamepass. If not for you I wouldn't give this game a chance. And look at us, not only I finished I got all achievements!

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Predictions Post:

Final Fantasy games do return to Game Pass now that the PS+ deal is ending. Depending on how far-reaching the deal is (and I suspect it's going to be a bigger deal that extends beyond just some classic FF games), they may announce this either at their showcase or potentially in a special announcement before it. Microsoft could use a PR win, SE could use some revenue, and announcing a "long-term strategic partnership" regarding SE games on Game Pass would help people feel more confident in the platform during a time when Microsoft really needs that, I think. I wouldn't be surprised if Octopath Traveler II is announced as being part of this deal, as well as an Xbox port of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters.

Final Fantasy XVI releases on Xbox and PC simultaneously in September. Not announced at the showcase (SE will want all eyes to be on Dawntrail this summer), but potentially announced in the fall Partner Preview presentation.

Final Fantasy VII Remake releases on Xbox and Switch 2 simultaneously in March, with Rebirth following a year later.

Forza Horizon 6 is a 2025 title, but potentially an uncharacteristically early one (May?). Might not be called Forza Horizon 6.

Microsoft restructures their Game Pass membership tiers this fall. Game Pass PC gets more expensive and loses EA Play and everybody freaks out, but all membership tiers end up including access to games across both PC and Xbox, and all membership tiers include online play on console, and that eliminates a lot of the awkwardness of the current subscription matrix and they end up with a more logical set of subscriptions for the future. A future that does include...

Xbox Go. It's real, and it's coming sooner than we think.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
And still adding a million players every 5 seconds lol
its had about 300K in nearly 3 weeks. which is still fine, but it's around 1.5-2 months per 1 million users and going to continue to slow down. That's also just total players, not really well monetized users or however they calculate ARPU.

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
Im betting on early 2025 for FH6 too, no room late this year for it, but late 2025 is probably also crammed, and I think it's near completion considering their past dev cycles

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022

90 Metacritic has you in a chokehold.

DiegoPaulino

Aug 24, 2023

2/10 prediction, lacks a fair amount of Everwild to work 🥸

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I was only joking lol (5's legs have been insane though)
It has. I know you weren't being literal but the game has already had an extended lifespan compared to past titles i don't think the audience will last another year outside of the real diehards. It needs a next gen only title sooner than later

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
It has. I know you weren't being literal but the game has already had an extended lifespan compared to past titles i don't think the audience will last another year outside of the real diehards. It needs a next gen only title sooner than later
I just think we already know the 2024 lineup and I'm really not sure where Horizon would slot in. I'd obviously love to be wrong but I just can't see it personally, given the creative leadership departures, engine change etc. It being next gen only will probably make it take longer, not quicker or the same amount of time.

Edit: Especially if they want to refresh the formula, which fans are already saying is getting old. That takes time. The fans will only be more ravenous for it in 2025.

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I just think we already know the 2024 lineup and I'm really not sure where Horizon would slot in. I'd obviously love to be wrong but I just can't see it personally, given the creative leadership departures, engine change etc. It being next gen only will probably make it take longer, not quicker or the same amount of time.
I can't see it taking longer when FH5 shipped 2 years after FH4 and that was cross-gen and middle of a pandemic. That's *more* work than otherwise. It's not totally clear if FH6 would even use a totally new 'version' of the forzatech engine. They added raytracing to FH5 mid-lifespan for example instead of having to wait for some major engine shift after FM released. They aren't bound to the same strict physics system and real-world scanned track data, etc. Horizon seems much more flexible so it wouldn't have the same pitfalls and delays FM faced.

And we didn't know of the full 2021 lineup until Showcase given they revealed and dated FH5 at the 2021 showcase, so it can happen again this year!

It's all coming together...

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
  • January: Double Fine's Kiln
  • February: Indiana Jones & The Great Circle
  • March: South of Midnight
  • April: Contraband
  • May: Fable
  • June: ESO: 2025 Expansion
  • July: Avowed DLC #1
  • August: Project: Mara / Starfield: Story Expansion 2 (+3.0 last update on the 2-year anniversary)
  • September: Gears VI
  • October: Forza Horizon 6
  • November (Series S-powered handheld launch - 350$): Perfect Dark, Spyro 4, COD 2025
  • December: Avowed DLC #2
You know it to be true.