• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
bykCUUQ.gif
LMAO

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
IDK. I think that Rockband bomba a few years back scared off Activision. IMO people are that interested in buying and storing expensive plastic guitar controllers anymore.
pdp guitar preorders + fortnite festival seem to indicate otherwise. Though it's hard to beat the concept of fortnite festival using your skins and shit vs generic rocker.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
pdp guitar preorders + fortnite festival seem to indicate otherwise. Though it's hard to beat the concept of fortnite festival using your skins and shit vs generic rocker.
The entire appeal of Fortnite Festival is that it's part of Fortnite (which is already the biggest game in the world) so it already has a player base. You won't get that with a new $60-$70 game on top of $100 plastic instruments. Fortnite already popularized (and was the first one I believe) virtual in-game concerts prior to Festival's release.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The entire appeal of Fortnite Festival is that it's part of Fortnite (which is already the biggest game in the world) so it already has a player base. You won't get that with a new $60-$70 game on top of $100 plastic instruments. Fortnite already popularized (and was the first one I believe) virtual in-game concerts prior to Festival's release.
Also true. Hard to compete with that. But i think there can still be an appeal. Guitar hero is popular in the arcades. Maybe not everyone wants the fortnite aesthetic. Or include actual vocal support.

Game Pass Ultimate subs can get access to a larger library, etc.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
IDK. I think that Rockband bomba a few years back scared off Activision. IMO people are that interested in buying and storing expensive plastic guitar controllers anymore.
Phil did specifically mention Guitar Hero as an Activision IP that Microsoft was interested in, which I thought was notable. I don't think they would have said that if they thought it would be a dead IP forever.

Like I said, the time is about right for a nostalgia-fueled return.

GH Live was both too soon and stupidly changed up the guitar from the classic one everyone remembers, and removed a lot of the character from the game in favor of the bad FMV "live" concept. It was just the wrong product, in basically every way.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
all that space you've saved over the years not buying physical disc shells means you can store those guitars

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
I can't see it taking longer when FH5 shipped 2 years after FH4 and that was cross-gen and middle of a pandemic. That's *more* work than otherwise. It's not totally clear if FH6 would even use a totally new 'version' of the forzatech engine. They added raytracing to FH5 mid-lifespan for example instead of having to wait for some major engine shift after FM released. They aren't bound to the same strict physics system and real-world scanned track data, etc. Horizon seems much more flexible so it wouldn't have the same pitfalls and delays FM faced.

And we didn't know of the full 2021 lineup until Showcase given they revealed and dated FH5 at the 2021 showcase, so it can happen again this year!

It's all coming together...

I've been saying this for a long time and kept being told I'm crazy and it has to be a 2025 title lol

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
second partner preview has ~160/170k more views than the first one. i imagine it's gonna keep growing since it's a really good show.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying this for a long time and kept being told I'm crazy and it has to be a 2025 title lol
The only thing keeping me from being 100% confident it's coming out this year was the key members of the team leaving after FH5 was released, specially considering that some of them were already covering for the former leadership that had either left the studio or moved for the Fable team after FH4.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Make guitar hero a mobile app where it uses your camera and hand tracking and you dance and lip sync to sings, go straight for the youths jugular with it.

it's possible I've just reinvented Musical.ly

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
The only thing keeping me from being 100% confident it's coming out this year was the key members of the team leaving after FH5 was released, specially considering that some of them were already covering for the former leadership that had either left the studio or moved for the Fable team after FH4.

Yeah I get that and it would make sense but I do think it's a well oiled machine and it's not like they need to quickly pivot after their main narrative lead left mid story or something like that. Not being dismissive or belittling their hard work but it's a pretty easy concept of what to do for their next instalment, pick a country, make a map and fill it with stuff then add some new feature or gameplay mechanic.

The big thing for me is how they used to pump these out in 2 years then moved to 3 years after covid with FH5 dev, I think the extra 1 year will give them a buffer and like Vix said they had to release on more platforms and new platforms they've never made a game for day 1 before. They'll most likely drop Xbox One so they don't need to worry about that platform which would've been a drain.

I'm cool either way on what they do and won't be angry or anything if it is 2025.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Ultimate Alliance wouldn't just require Activision's okay to go back on sale, hence why they're not on sale already.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Ultimate Alliance wouldn't just require Activision's okay to go back on sale, hence why they're not on sale already.
I think people were just assuming/hoping that Microsoft had actually worked out the licensing and agreed to pay the licensing fees to get those games back, which has been the hope of many people, myself included. Because realistically, Microsoft has a hell of a lot more motivation to renew the licenses for those games than an independent Activision did.

Even though the quality of some of the games is iffy at best, I really do think that Game Pass would benefit pretty significantly if MS could work out the licensing of those games with Disney and start putting them all on Game Pass and available for sale on modern platforms. The Deadpool game is a bit of a cult classic and those Spider-Man games are pretty damn good too for the most part.

But unfortunately the cost of doing it and the fact that Sony probably has exclusive licensing rights probably make it pretty unlikely that we'll see the Activision Marvel stuff come back...

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I think people were just assuming/hoping that Microsoft had actually worked out the licensing and agreed to pay the licensing fees to get those games back, which has been the hope of many people, myself included. Because realistically, Microsoft has a hell of a lot more motivation to renew the licenses for those games than an independent Activision did.

Even though the quality of some of the games is iffy at best, I really do think that Game Pass would benefit pretty significantly if MS could work out the licensing of those games with Disney and start putting them all on Game Pass and available for sale on modern platforms. The Deadpool game is a bit of a cult classic and those Spider-Man games are pretty damn good too for the most part.

But unfortunately the cost of doing it and the fact that Sony probably has exclusive licensing rights probably make it pretty unlikely that we'll see the Activision Marvel stuff come back...

Ultimate Alliance could still work. Spider-man was in the 3rd one that came out after the first PlayStation SM. Going by the Xmen/Wolverine leak, anything that directly references those properties isn't allowed, but characters can appear in team ups and so forth. So that rules out the spider-man and Wolverine games 100%, but UA is still a possibility. And Deadpool potentially.

Ara63

Nov 21, 2023
What's so frustrating is that there's nothing like Forza Motorsport on PC, and the fumbled that opportunity so hard.

This was honestly their biggest problem at launch - not the bugs, not the CarXP fiasco, but that they got rid of everything about FM that made the above statement true. What they came out was "just another sim", maybe with more road cars than other PC sims, but nothing else that would get people to drop their current game for it.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting a new "Happening now" slide when I click "Friends" in the dashboard on Xbox.

Looks weird

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
This was honestly their biggest problem at launch - not the bugs, not the CarXP fiasco, but that they got rid of everything about FM that made the above statement true. What they came out was "just another sim", maybe with more road cars than other PC sims, but nothing else that would get people to drop their current game for it.
The bugs were pretty significant. Loss of save data and infinite loading bugs is probably in the top 1-3 of issues you can have other than brikcing your HW.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Phil did specifically mention Guitar Hero as an Activision IP that Microsoft was interested in, which I thought was notable. I don't think they would have said that if they thought it would be a dead IP forever.

Like I said, the time is about right for a nostalgia-fueled return.

GH Live was both too soon and stupidly changed up the guitar from the classic one everyone remembers, and removed a lot of the character from the game in favor of the bad FMV "live" concept. It was just the wrong product, in basically every way.

GH was some fun times :)

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Yeah I get that and it would make sense but I do think it's a well oiled machine and it's not like they need to quickly pivot after their main narrative lead left mid story or something like that. Not being dismissive or belittling their hard work but it's a pretty easy concept of what to do for their next instalment, pick a country, make a map and fill it with stuff then add some new feature or gameplay mechanic.

The big thing for me is how they used to pump these out in 2 years then moved to 3 years after covid with FH5 dev, I think the extra 1 year will give them a buffer and like Vix said they had to release on more platforms and new platforms they've never made a game for day 1 before. They'll most likely drop Xbox One so they don't need to worry about that platform which would've been a drain.

I'm cool either way on what they do and won't be angry or anything if it is 2025.

Yeah FH are a bi well oiled machine, i have no doubt they can release FH6 if they want too, but i feel that with all the games Xbox have coming out they can def take more time if they wish and release at a later time.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017

I'm cool either way, but am leaning towards it being a 2026 title, mainly due to the partnership with Wushu Studios on FH5. That studio consists of devs who worked on Driveclub & Motorstorm, so certainly have the pedigree to develop a DLC package to keep things going for another year.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Finally, I had almost lost hope for Kena to come over. Will play day 1 like I did with Stray.

Been continuing with Fallout: New Vegas. Already had a few amazing moments like sending those ghouls to space! I'm trying not to make any faction too mad at me so I can still dive into their questlines first. I really like what they're doing with reputation in this game so far. While it's not a short game by any means, I'm also not overwhelmed by this open world given it's not that huge. Not been to Vegas yet after 12 hours, but I think I'll get there today and can't wait given I travelled there myself last year.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I get what you're saying, but, the PDP Riffmaster guitar has sold out where it was available to preorder.