• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
On the bright side, Crackdown 3 is probably never getting ported. So that is one permanent console exclusive.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
For a platform like Xbox, the only way to guarantee they'll actually get the games is often going to be doing these timed exclusivity deals.
That's just untrue. I keep seeing this parroted (the only way xbox will get indies or whatever is through game pass deals/exclusive deals) but we get dozens of games every week that are not game pass releases on Xbox and are not exclusive. Also: late ports that are not Game Pass bound. The exclusive deals are because the deals are good for the developers, not because it's the only "guarantee" they'll get the games. that's nonsense.

The difference in timed-exclusivity approach is driven primarily by strategy + market-share realities. PS is more console driven, thus securing "tent-pole" 3rd party exclusives is their preferred method to entice hardware sales for long-term storefront cuts; you see it even with their indie partnership titles like Stray, Tchia, Kena etc. Xbox is more ecosystem/GP driven, thus securing a wider array of indies/AA titles to satiate the needs of the GP user spectrum and crucially, retention, is their preferred strategy - in the context of marketshare offset costs - whether engaged via the console, PC, or cloud.

User-base is also much too simplistic of a metric to gauge potential success/sales. If all things were equal, sure, but as we've seen from the PS indies discourse ~2-years ago, discoverability, genre, market penetration, regional differences, marketing, awareness etc., all impact the success of these titles. Otherwise it would always hold true that all indies would sell better on PS than on Xbox, which wasn't/isn't the case.

Point being, they are strategically informed decisions; retroactively justifying, or not, which makes more sense from an overall POV (platform, users, studio/IP holder, market itself etc.) is an uncontrolled comparison in a scientific sense, as each platform holder exists within their own context, the context of the overall market and their place within it, along with what their goals are via implementation of any specific "tactic". Sure, we can analytically infer qualitative impacts in specific instances for specific stakeholders, but an all encompassing comparator is almost nonsensical in such a dynamic industry that is ever-evolving given all the players are in such different contexts.
as always, great post.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
8dcb590436be1c7a435be1d427992cb7.png

The gamma changes are crazy cuz you couldn't even see the racing stripes on the car before 😭 (and this was comparing to Update 2 which did have some gamma changes vs launch iirc?).

a408eca4f8e0ae5a7f749ecc98a03506.jpg

the car crevices and the rocks in the distance actual look self shadowed (even if that's not really the case) by being darker.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

View: https://youtu.be/855373FStY8

Starting next week, the MCC style "Exchange" is going to become available in Halo Infinite. You get Spartan Points by playing the game and can exchange them for skins and cosmetics and whatnot in the Exchange. These are things that came from past events that were no longer accessible, etc. Awesome!

Plus completely new stuff. Operations will update the exchange content. You get SP for your Play of the Day, and the Weekly Ultimate reward now.

The Operation pass is now basically a set of armor + Spartan Points to then spend in the Exchange.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023

View: https://youtu.be/855373FStY8

Starting next week, the MCC style "Exchange" is going to become available in Halo Infinite. You get Spartan Points by playing the game and can exchange them for skins and cosmetics and whatnot in the Exchange. These are things that came from past events that were no longer accessible, etc. Awesome!

Plus completely new stuff.

was gonna post that, shame the new event pass is pretty much is all points lmao

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
was gonna post that, shame the new event pass is pretty much is all points lmao
Yeah I just got to that point. A bit of a shame, but at least the Exchange will have new shit in it so instead of it being in the pass you just go to the Exchange to pick it up. But if you don't like it you can spend it on something else in the Exchange. Seems alright, but def a bit "bland".

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
man it's evident how the game (halo infinite) is on life support lol such a shame. think it had a real chance at a comeback after season 5 if they kept at it

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
man it's evident how the game (halo infinite) is on life support lol such a shame. think it had a real chance at a comeback after season 5 if they kept at it
Do wonder what the plan for the series is in the short term

MCC is no longer getting major updates
Infinite is on support mode pretty much
Show didn't do much for player numbers

just kind of feel like the series itself it just costing in its niche

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
8dcb590436be1c7a435be1d427992cb7.png

The gamma changes are crazy cuz you couldn't even see the racing stripes on the car before 😭 (and this was comparing to Update 2 which did have some gamma changes vs launch iirc?).

a408eca4f8e0ae5a7f749ecc98a03506.jpg

the car crevices and the rocks in the distance actual look self shadowed (even if that's not really the case) by being darker.

Motorsport is in a much better place now but man, Turn 10 really tarnished their reputation with this one. Even now, there are such obvious lack of polish issues. If you Skip practice before a race, the focus changes back to start practice before the load screen. Don't worry, the practice is still skipped.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I am a *little* concerned about XP rates though with the Play a Match earning you SP instead of XP. Previously you got like 500 XP just for playing a game for the day which was like 1000 with DXP active. Maybe that'll be the same for the *second* match now, but otherwise it could be a pretty big nerf to XP rates making you have to play 2-4 more games lol

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Times change. Call of Duty stole the Mt. Dew chugging dudebro crowd and the FPS market is more saturated than ever.

Halo hasn't done much to attract any new audiences in the last 10 years
Oh I am well aware, I've even fallen out of the series and I was BIG into it.

the 343 era has honestly just had way too many missteps and while it had some good highs (MCC PC) those have even had it's issues (no modded CGB or console mods is still wack as hell to me) that it's going to take a reboot or a long sleep for people to get into it all again imho.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
definitely weird but halo infinite did a lot of damage imo. i love the game but it clearly didn't do well and they probably went back to the drawing board for the franchise.
What's extra wild, I think if they would have just waited the extra year (again) so they actually had content ready to go and forge + CGB ready for content creators? Shit would probably has sustained for much longer.

Halo 4 - Weird choices for the MP to be more like CoD, some very weird choices in overall lore
Halo 5 - Great MP, bland art style for the most part, GOD AWFUL story and lore choices
MCC Launch - I don't think I even need to speak for this one
Infinite- Alright story actually, bare bones MP content which was their "bread and butter" for $$$
Halo Show - Even if it did do well with regular viewers, it's SUPER clear it did nothing for long standing fans like TLOU, Witcher or Fallout did for their player base numbers or sales.
Extended Lore - Honestly just a bunch of weird choices here.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
the Forge Falcons "Survive the Undead" mode is coming soon* as a Combat Workshop playlist. This is the COD Zombies forge mode I think

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
It doesn't resonate because the execution is bad and the game feels outdated.

With all the physics and item persistence in the game, it always bums me out that they're just not relevant to the actual game or gameplay mechanics. In the 140 hours I've played, it was never designed to be a factor in the missions or game world. There are so many cool videos of people spawning an ungodly amount of potatoes and sandwiches and showing how the items physically interact with the game world, but such a moment never actually happens in the game itself, unless you use the cheat console. And yet, the capability is used to excuse the constant loading and other shortcomings of the engine and game design.

You have a gorgeous lighting engine on planets and can have 5000 pieces of junk that react to one another in one room (which, again, never happens in the game), then travel across the galaxy and come back to find them still there. But you can't break items or break glass, you walk on water like Jesus because diving would mean they'd also have to generate lakes and oceans, foliage doesn't move, your character doesn't leave footprints, NPCs lack variation in looks and animations, faces and hair still look bad, you need a loading screen for tiny single-room shops, boarding your ship is another loading screen, and there's probably so much more.

I am not saying that BGS needs to ditch their engine and switch to Unreal Engine 6 or whatever, absolutely not. Simply removing the physics and item persistence won't make any of the points I mentioned happen, and there's no game that does everything I mentioned on top of the things that Starfield attempts either. But the way it all comes together in Starfield, it's a death by a 1000 cuts. Unless they actually do something worthwhile with it, I don't think it's worth clinging to their old ways when the audience isn't receptive to it anymore either. They need to have a deep and hard look into these things and think about whether they're worth it going forward, or at least try to strike the right balance again.

My thoughts exactly. For all the technical mastery and achievement, the impact of all that work on gameplay/building a believable world is way below what games like Halo had put on the table back in 2002. And sure, you can argue Starfield is an open-world RPG, but even if we look at it from that perspective, the emphasis on small procedurally generated areas with points of interest kills a lot of the "living world" element that was so prevalent in Skyrim/F4. Unlike you, I'd honestly rather have them ditch the engine so they can more easily improve on some of the longtime issues that the community has had with BGS titles (including what you mentioned) than preserve the "potential" to watch a couple of YouTube videos about sandwich dominoes or whatever, but even if they had to keep CE I'd be happy with a cohesive experience more akin to their previous games. Probably wishful thinking but I hope they take a more hand-crafted, less "follow arrow to the 100-th POI" approach to the DLC.

Sometimes I feel there are people that aren't fans of Fallout series, they're just fans of New Vegas.

Nah, the vast majority of NV hardliners also love the first two entries.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Motorsport is in a much better place now but man, Turn 10 really tarnished their reputation with this one. Even now, there are such obvious lack of polish issues. If you Skip practice before a race, the focus changes back to start practice before the load screen. Don't worry, the practice is still skipped.
The damage is done for this entry, imo.

Even if they can get the game back on track at some point, they completely lost the momentum. What a waste.

Recommended viewing:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WG_cBQu01Y&pp=ygUjRm9yemEgbW90b3JzcG9ydCBiZXV0YWwgZGV2ZWxvcG1lbnQ%3D

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
"This might sound weird, but whatever happens with it, I don't care," he says. "My attitude towards properties that I work on, and even characters that I create, is that I don't own any of this stuff. It was never mine. And the thing that I made is what I made."

Sawyer remains very proud of the New Vegas team's work and believes the game stands on its own. "If later on other people working in the space do new things with it and change it, I'll maybe have opinions on it, but I don't get attached to things in that way," he says. "I don't feel like it's healthy for me to be really invested in something I have no control over, frankly."

new vegas diehards on twitter pls listen to your champion

I feel like it makes more sense to quote Tim Cain on this. Sawyer reasonably acts like an outsider because he really joined the franchise for New Vegas (or Van Buren if you're nitpicky). If Cain were to be bothered that would make more sense as he has way more artistic merit re: Fallout than most people at either Obsidian or Bethesda, but even he was like "jeez chill folks" which goes to show how much some classic Fallout fans overreacted lol.

Really nice interview btw, I won't get tired of pointing out how chasing the voice acting fever hurt the development of the game. It was a lot of text to voice for the sales they ended up getting. Hopefully Sawyer gets enough time and resources for his next project.

RubberStamp

Oct 27, 2017
I like the changes that are coming with the new Infinite operation. Sure, its nothing too significant but good changes overall.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
692524443a2b1af440c41adfb7c99f41.png

Just saw this pending chat message 😭 guess I steamrolled this guy in Halo Infinite in some match forever ago. truly flattered someone thinks I'm cheating though

edit: I found the game lmao it wasn't even anything special. CTF on Elevation.

v286ooc.png

I thought maybe he was one of the dudes in a game where my KDA was like 26

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I am a *little* concerned about XP rates though with the Play a Match earning you SP instead of XP. Previously you got like 500 XP just for playing a game for the day which was like 1000 with DXP active. Maybe that'll be the same for the *second* match now, but otherwise it could be a pretty big nerf to XP rates making you have to play 2-4 more games lol
Saw that and have the same concern. Better not be that because I will simply not do it. lol

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

View: https://x.com/seaofthieves/status/1782794387765747879?s=46&t=gf8rfJgiXtRzEKTUzSF5Yw

FINALLY back to increased activity per server. They ran 6 ship/18 player servers in testing over the last month in live and the PS5 Beta was completely in that config. They're gonna look to increase *player* (not ship) count in the future too (ex: 6 x 4 player galleons which isn't possible rn)

Glad to see Rare acknowledge the game is broken when diving and a fix is incoming soon.