• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I'm surprised 343 hasn't tried to forget the Halo 4-5 era. Considering it's fucked them over. (Halo 5 MP was fantastic and arguably better than infinite don't @ me)

As opposed to the Infinite era? Wouldn't be surprised if the dev Hell Infinite had and the game's subsequent failure was worse for the studio than 4 and 5.

And unpopular opinion, but I actually liked Chiefs design in 4 the best.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
As opposed to the Infinite era? Wouldn't be surprised if the dev Hell Infinite had and the game's subsequent failure was worse for the studio than 4 and 5.

wp3223905.jpg

it's not the worst but I wish he had the full cockstrap around the waist, not just this partial bit.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i think 4s armor would have been received better if the game started out with the h3 armor then have him switch to the new one after meeting the new spartans

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Infinite is a net positive over Halo 4 and 5. There's no kill streaks and no Locke/villainous Cortana. I was purely talking about player reception though. Also I agree Halo 4 Chief is cool. He looks almost superhero-esque. It's a slick redesign that was in line with the visual identity of those games.

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018
I think the Avowed showing was more like "this is what most games are like 9 months out from launch" and people just aren't used to that level of honesty. People had similar reactions to Dead Space remake when they were doing their behind the scenes development streams but then the game turned out fine.

yeah its the type of game to be played and i cant wait, i need my obsidian RPG fix!

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Infinite is a net positive over Halo 4 and 5. There's no kill streaks and no Locke/villainous Cortana. I was purely talking about player reception though. Also I agree Halo 4 Chief is cool. He looks almost superhero-esque. It's a slick redesign that was in line with the visual identity of those games.

Ah gotcha. I was thinking, between the longer dev cycle, having to delay the game a year because your big public showing led to mockery, and the fact it bled players within a month and the layoff bat hit 343 afterwards... Infinite was probably worse for the studio.

Like yeah, there was a hot minute where Infinite was lauded, but even with it, I'd argue the reception wasn't really all that much better once the honeymoon period was over.

Last edited:

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

ee3d31af0d081130f01c40c9f6d8048e.png

UraMallas

In a just world, Kait saved Del and we all know it. Del was a real one in Gears 5. JD didn't deserve that after going COG asshole
Ah gotcha. I was thinking, between the longer dev cycle, having to delay the game a year because your big public showing led to mockery, and the fact it bled players within a month and the layoff bat hit 343 afterwards... Infinite was probably worse for the studio.
Yeah Infinite was way worse for the studio and my heart still aches for those that lost their jobs due to management not having their shit together/being a moderate revolving door

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I really really hope Starfield eventually gets its flowers. So much cool stuff in that game.
Completely agree.

I think a strong launch of Shattered Space and mod support will do a lot for the game, and help to reset the narrative around the game.

I am really liking my time diving back into Fallout 4 - there is a magic in Bethesda games that no other developer captures quite as well - but I just don't vibe with the setting as much as in Starfield.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
In a just world, Kait saved Del and we all know it. Del was a real one in Gears 5. JD didn't deserve that after going COG asshole

Yeah Infinite was way worse for the studio and my heart still aches for those that lost their jobs due to management not having their shit together/being a moderate revolving door
facts

DiegoPaulino

Aug 24, 2023

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. So I started Eiyuden Chronciles on XGP and I haven't played much on the system in a bit. My character is just running to the left constantly, when I'm not touching the controller. I went to check the controller setting to see if I could fix it… updated the controller, did the weird follow-the-light calibration thing but the diagram after calibrating STILL shows "Center - At Rest" as off-center?

Is there any way to fix this short of literally opening the controller? Really don't want to have to do that…

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
IGN's review said it took him 20 hours. It might be less if ur gud. Seems like a fair length. Pretty similar to Lies of P.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I thin the first gameplay trailer looked pretty odd in terms of combat (little to no reactivity) but the d_d trailer was significantly better in that regard and I don't really have any complaints anymore.

I dunno, I think in terms of hit reactions I kinda prefer what was shown in the first trailer vs. the hit stops trying to do a lot of the work.

For example, here at about 1:55 looked really good to me:

View: https://youtu.be/ULsF7B6bFuU?si=TNbwBpY0gpn14WIV&t=115

Earlier there is a hit with no reaction but that's because of the frost enchant that immediately freezes the enemy. I admit it looks a bit odd, but that's why it does that (the second hit shatters them).

Gotta say Avowed is one game I'm not worrying about. Obsidian has been doing some of their finest work since getting acquired in 2018. That was probably a build close to a year out from release. I trust the ragdoll death animations were coming, would be crazy not to have them (in the footage the enemies all curled up into a ball the exact same way regardless of how they were hit, obviously not a final product lol). Obsidian said enemy hit reaction would be tweaked.

The only critique I had was the decision to go with overly exaggerated hit stops. Hopefully that gets shortened. I know some people love them, but I never have.

I especially liked what I saw in the expanded footage when it came to exploring the environments. Looked like big improvement for Obsidian over TOW.

Exaggerated is how I would describe it too. I'm fine with them, it just seemed a bit too long. But also, first person sword swinging combat is very hard to show and it almost universally looks kinda bad to watch it, but playing it feels better.

My main critique from the D_D footage was that they stopped reacting on the killing blow every time. They just crumpled on the spot with gravity being the only force at play. On the killing blow I'd like to see them turn on ragdoll like Bethesda games.

I thought overall in the D_D footage (especially the extended stuff in the podcast) the combat looked fine. Especially being 9 months out or whatever. And IIRC they acknowledged they were currently working on that stuff and that the footage was somewhat old.

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
Ugh. So I started Eiyuden Chronciles on XGP and I haven't played much on the system in a bit. My character is just running to the left constantly, when I'm not touching the controller. I went to check the controller setting to see if I could fix it… updated the controller, did the weird follow-the-light calibration thing but the diagram after calibrating STILL shows "Center - At Rest" as off-center?

Is there any way to fix this short of literally opening the controller? Really don't want to have to do that…
Yeah character movement in this game is SUPER sensitive, I've found myself not realizing I was touching the thumbstick ever so slightly with the character moving thinking I was entering a cutscene type moment. Luckily it doesn't move if I'm for sure not grazing the thumbsticks though, sounds like you're probably going to have to open the controller. I've seen others recommend electronics alcohol and blowing into the thumbstick hole but those have never worked for me on a controller that drifts.

Another thing I've noticed with Eiyuden is that I lose all sound in the game on quick resume so I have to close the game and reopen it on the dashboard to get sound back.

Orduss

Feb 3, 2021
I think there are two things here :
-Maybe all of the hit animations are implemented (likely since this is alpha footage)
-They hit a skeleton here, so it's much lighter (and subject to interruption, which is a mechanic in POE) that other enemies.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I don't think there was anything wrong with Avowed combat in the trailers and never understood the amount of hate it received 🤷‍♂️

I think it's extremely difficult to pull off high quality first person melee combat. It's even harder to show it off in a positive light. They did say they spent a lot of time with combat so I expect it to be better than most are thinking.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

Very timely, switching between Psychonauts 1 and 2, the degree of polish on these basic mechanics is just completely on another level in 2. Was actually thinking about the jump specifically yesterday lol. But also psi blast, levitate, everything you can tell has been tuned hard.

I was looking forward to play it until I saw the '25 hours to finish it' in some previous comments lol

It's all relative, 25 hours makes this game The Order 1886 of soulslikes.

DiegoPaulino

Aug 24, 2023
Are people talking about Another Crabs Treasure saying 25 hours is too short or too long for a soulslike?

Too damn long lol

I don't have 25 minutes for myself in a day, imagine 25 hours playing a soulsborne game TT_TT

Although this quote from the review thread is making me really consider playing it lol

A playful Soulslike for everyone, that lets you give a crab a gun.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

View: https://x.com/SolidNSnake1985/status/1783211119257034971

Given the "Definitive Edition" never released outside on consoles back in 2014, and now it's shadow dropping on the MS PC Store... I wonder if there's some easy method MS has that packages/converts Xbox One games into PC builds (even tho the whole MS Store/Play Anywhere/UWP thing wasn't until later right?) that is the reason for this.

Though if it is a pc console game will it require a controller..

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019

Given the "Definitive Edition" never released outside on consoles back in 2014, and now it's shadow dropping on the MS PC Store... I wonder if there's some easy method MS has that packages/converts Xbox One games into PC builds (even tho the whole MS Store/Play Anywhere/UWP thing wasn't until later right?) that is the reason for this.

Finally bought Crystal D. Adding their games to GP.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Same thing happened with Nier Automata

MS PC Store got the best version all of a sudden till they updated Steam version

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Oh no! What happened?
either wasn't packaged properly or got fucked in transit bc it is hella cracked and bent. Just arrived that way. Returning it for a refund.. will think about ordering another refurbished until and rolling the dice or just bite the bullet and pay extra lol

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
either wasn't packaged properly or got fucked in transit bc it is hella cracked and bent. Just arrived that way. Returning it for a refund.. will think about ordering another refurbished until and rolling the dice or just bite the bullet and pay extra lol
Ah dammit. At least you get your money back, what model had you ordered if you don't mind me asking?

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018
I dunno, I think in terms of hit reactions I kinda prefer what was shown in the first trailer vs. the hit stops trying to do a lot of the work.

View: https://youtu.be/ULsF7B6bFuU?si=TNbwBpY0gpn14WIV&t=115

Earlier there is a hit with no reaction but that's because of the frost enchant that immediately freezes the enemy. I admit it looks a bit odd, but that's why it does that (the second hit shatters them).

Thanks, now i want Avowed right now!

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018
Very timely, switching between Psychonauts 1 and 2, the degree of polish on these basic mechanics is just completely on another level in 2. Was actually thinking about the jump specifically yesterday lol. But also psi blast, levitate, everything you can tell has been tuned hard.

Agree, also the documentary really opened my eyes to how much effort they put into it.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
With how many games there are to play (especially with Game pass), the shorter the better imo.

Last edited: