• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
Push the button Phil

Bruh for those of us that liked Starfield we'd be getting a second game in like 17 years, if they even make it

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, waiting ~15-20 years for Fallout 5 is, yeah.

Bethesda should have expanded.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I am not ready to have to wait fifteen years for a new Starfield experience.
Actually I'm quite glad we still haven't had any DLC, because that universe rules, even with all of the game's faults.

Nov 8, 2017
I don't need Redfall to get a full redemption arc but it needs at least one more major update. They got it to an acceptable place, technically, now it needs more gameplay tweaks and the premium edition content.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
the fact that fallout shelter was making 20-80k revenue *per day* is insane lmao. fallout shelter, man.

i know it's nothing compared to candy crush, but... it's fallout shelter. in 2024.

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
Does it still require an internet connection to play?
Can you not pause the game? Can't remember if that's why I immediately put it down or if I was just waiting for a big patch, but if it is always online/unpausable that would be the reason. I won't play a game that won't pause because of frequent interruptions from my wife and dog.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
c8b1b92ed89ea7181bc514df13a2515a.png

Some pretty big optimizations being done on Xbox for UE5 in 5.4

2x2 VRS is software based VRS as Hardware Tier 2 VRS, as contributed by The Coalition in 5.2, is limited to at minimum 8x8 tiles (lowest AMD can go)
a4b66271486fabb2c17001ac7432419e.jpg

72d24722d18e4263bfc38486464b866d.jpg

Results in nigh indistinguishable image differences unlike before perhaps, while being even more performant.

a98859e4eaacb894dea6cddb3922431d.jpg

Can see the gains on the PS side what a difference VRS makes, especially 2x2 while still being better IQ.

(though it probably doesn't really matter to us end-users in this moment bc this is for 5.4 that *just* became available) there's some Xbox API stuff Microsoft had to work on to implement into the Xbox March 2024 GDK. While the PS SDK implemented stuff there sooner. Tsk tsk, Microsoft. While there's no apples-to-apples comparisons for PS and Xbox, it seems with everything enabled Xbox would be about 15% faster ish for these compute shader metrics, at the same resolution scale. Which is about what you'd expect at this point.

This is part of the optimization work being done on UE5 in 5.4 to help target 60 FPS on consoles while using all the bells and whistles (given the Matrix demo used as an example).

Wasn't there something about The Coalition saying UE needs to increase optimisation by X and they thought they'll be able to, I wonder if that's why they cancelled/shelved the other game they were working on because that optimisation was coming for Gears 6.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Wasn't there something about The Coalition saying UE needs to increase optimisation by X and they thought they'll be able to, I wonder if that's why they cancelled/shelved the other game they were working on because that optimisation was coming for Gears 6.
Their tech talk they mentioned targeting 60 and various optimization that needed to be done still but yeah. Nothing specific and that was well over a year ago when they did that Alpha Point thing. I think Gears was prioritized just to be able to get it in ramped up and released not necessarily because of Epic optimizing things.

I have no idea what Hellblade 2 is running on but it'd be great if they would be able to integrate any optimizations into place and maybe offer a 40-60 fps mode on xbox possibly if that test hasnt happened yet internally. Might take a year after launch tho

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Last single player Elder Scrolls was released 14, last Fallout was released 9 years ago. I hate these kind of comparisons but FromSoft released Dark Souls III, Bloodborne, Sekiro, Elden Ring and Armored Core 6 since then. Having multiple teams working on IPs concurrently and releasing at least a major entry in every generation is not asking too much.
IP isnt everything. ES was last released 14 years ago, but you have gotten Bethesda games in between, with one last year. I assume most people that like ES like other Bethesda games? Its not like there was nothing made for them.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
IP isnt everything. ES was last released 14 years ago, but you have gotten Bethesda games in between, with one last year. I assume most people that like ES like other Bethesda games? Its not like there was nothing made for them.

Nah Skyrim has outsold every other Bethesda game, it's like the 8th best selling game ever. It really resonated with non-gamers in a big way. There bring 17 years between releases is pretty crazy.

I do think BGS need to do something, whether they create a new team or outsource it to Obsidian or whoever. It was fine back when it would take three years, but now game development is longer, abd I've read that some are predicting it will take longer still. They have to take advantage of their IP better.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Redfall is just straight up bad, there's nothing to do to turn it around. The level design is bad, enemies are extremely repetitive, IA is bad and dumb, shooting is terrible. Games like No Man's Sky and Cyberpunk had, to some degree, a good base there to work and improve, Redfall have nothing.

I have a morbid curiosity to see how they'll handle the DLC characters.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Redfall is just straight up bad, there's nothing to do to turn it around. The level design is bad, enemies are extremely repetitive, IA is bad and dumb, shooting is terrible. Games like No Man's Sky and Cyberpunk had, to some degree, a good base there to work and improve, Redfall have nothing.

I have a morbid curiosity to see how they'll handle the DLC characters.

Yeah I agree. Cyberpunk and NMS weren't bad games at their core, they just had glaring issues. I actually quite liked NMS at launch. Really, is it possible to turn Redfall around? Sure, but it would require a massive redesign along the lines of FF 14, and that would take a lot of time and effort.

Really the best thing for them to do is release the dlc and move onto the next game and put it behind them.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I played Redfall on PC and thought it was very average, not something id call straight up bad though. I ended up dropping it for something else with the intent to come back, I was entertained by it at least.

But yeah, I don't think it's worthwhile spending a bunch of time to 'fix' it. Even if they did, most won't return.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Imagine if Redfall gets a ton of fixes and updates and dlc and becomes just an indisputable great game, I'm talking Realm Reborn or No Man's Sky level comeback, and then immediately releases on PlayStation.

Some of you wouldn't survive.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The whole discussion about who should handle IPs is becoming more fascinating as gaming continues to evolve. It is a conversation that stretched far beyond just Bethesda and even Xbox.

With games taking longer than ever to make, the gaps between entries have increased. Many franchises where we used to get at least a couple of entries in a generation, we are now lucky to get just one game in the console's lifespan. People will say "just give 'x' IP to so and so", but it just isn't that easy. Some teams don't want to just let another group come in and take their creation, which I can understand. At the same time, I can understand fans dying to get a new entry.

I've just learned to accept that most franchises will have fewer releases that are farther apart. I'm probably only going to get another couple of GTA's in my life after VI. Mainline Final Fantasy games are going to be once every 7-8 years. BGS is going to rotate between TES, Fallout, and Starfield or new IP every 5~6 years. Bioware is going to drop one new game every 4~5 years at best. That is just how game development works now.