• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 324 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 335 50.8%

• Total voters

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

View: https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1785746037274972305

Nice coating.

28vAE7A.png

doing such a great job wit these armours

sam777

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/1785749740631548159

View: https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/1785753837191459019

If this really is their new strategy it'll be interesting to see what angle they use to incentivize purchasing the next console. Maybe a handheld version would be a big enough differentiator. I know spencer had mentioned people being locked into their ecosystems so maybe they're assuming people won't want to leave their libraries behind.

I hope this ain't true, this would only push people away from Xbox overtime.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
However you want to interpret Jez' comments, he isn't responding about the blue heart emoji lol.

Tabasco Cat

May 25, 2021
jez has sounded pretty confident about this for the past week, it hasn't been a one night tweet storm or response to a single tweet. not taking it as gospel but sounds like there's more to this than his usual speculation.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Per Stephen Totilo's GameFile:

"Microsoft's initial crossover games, for example, haven't charted all that high.

One of its former exclusives, the musical combat game Hi-Fi Rush, was a critical darling on Xbox and PC last year. It was ported to PlayStation this year and ranked in the top 50 among PlayStation's March 2024 bestsellers, Circana analyst Mat Piscatella told Game File.

Pentiment, a critically acclaimed medieval monk murder mystery, ranked merely in PlayStation's top 230 games when it debuted in February and lower in March, Piscatella shared.

It's unlikely that Microsoft expected those games to be huge hits. And it's unclear how their sales measure up to whatever it cost to port them. They didn't sell big, and Microsoft will surely crunch the numbers to figure out if it's worth bringing smaller games over sooner, later or not at all."

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Is this how SEGA fans felt in the late Dreamcast days? I love Xbox but it's hard to be hopeful in the future without reciprocity which is why I need to hear about these PC merge plans.

Honestly, my playtime fell off a cliff after January. It's just... hard to be excited anymore. Probably have played 30 hours total in 3 months.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Is this how SEGA fans felt in the late Dreamcast days? I love Xbox but it's hard to be hopeful in the future without reciprocity which is why I need to hear about these PC merge plans.

Honestly, my playtime fell off a cliff after January. It's just... hard to be excited anymore. Probably have played 30 hours total in 3 months.
Yeah, I've cut my spending way down with Xbox. If they aren't exiting the console space theyve really blown the messaging. Despite promises of future consoles, I think most would agree a console won't survive without a slate of exclusive games.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Yeah, I've cut my spending way down with Xbox. If they aren't exiting the console space theyve really blown the messaging. Despite promises of future consoles, I think most would agree a console won't survive without a slate of exclusive games.
Only way I see it surviving is with exclusives or reciprocity. Which may be why they are looking at the PC merge. I've reduced my spending too.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
if your playtime was necessarily related to exclusivity or stuff like that i mean...... that's an issue right there. why wouldn't be excited about games anymore? lol

jez has sounded pretty confident about this for the past week, it hasn't been a one night tweet storm or response to a single tweet. not taking it as gospel but sounds like there's more to this than his usual speculation.
he's sounded confident about this multiple times. this isn't the first time lol

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Only way I see it surviving is with exclusives or reciprocity. Which may be why they are looking at the PC merge. I've reduced my spending too.
True. Only other way I could see an out is embracing being a niche console, and focusing on being dramatically more powerful even at higher price. Like sure, GTA 6 is everywhere but the only console playing it at 60fps is this $800 Xbox would work for me. Though being priced high is always risky.

happy2501

Jan 12, 2024

Just opened era to write my own hype for Xbox so seeing this is weird now lol. I mean it's looking amazing rn. Diablo 4 and Starfield gets game changing updates mid May, Senaus Saga 2 on end may, the showcase in June i'm truly on a big hype for Xbox. They've started to use all the investment of past 5 years and it's paying off and i'm happily eating good as a consumer.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
if your playtime was necessarily related to exclusivity or stuff like that i mean...... that's an issue right there. why wouldn't be excited about games anymore? lol
Yeah probably but in this instance its less exclusivity itself and more what it represents, namely possible devaluing of my platform, the murky future and them going back on promises. I find it hard to feel confident in the future of my favourite platform which overall dampens mood.

Guess it's kinda like watching the playoffs when your team choked in the season and there are rumours of the team moving cities. You can still enjoy the artistry of the sport and the amazing plays but the comradery and drive is gone.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Just opened era to write my own hype for Xbox so seeing this is weird now lol. I mean it's looking amazing rn. Diablo 4 and Starfield gets game changing updates mid May, Senaus Saga 2 on end may, the showcase in June i'm truly on a big hype for Xbox. They've started to use all the investment of past 5 years and it's paying off and i'm happily eating good as a consumer.

I still have immense faith in the team at NT. Hellblade 2 will be great.

Lui

Sep 22, 2022

View: https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/1785749740631548159

View: https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/1785753837191459019

If this really is their new strategy it'll be interesting to see what angle they use to incentivize purchasing the next console. Maybe a handheld version would be a big enough differentiator. I know spencer had mentioned people being locked into their ecosystems so maybe they're assuming people won't want to leave their libraries behind.

I know its just his own speculation (even if it isn't that unlikely from actually happening). But about the being locked to a ecosystem thing, me personally I would just keep around my Series X so that im able to play my Xbox library while maining whatever other gaming system I end up with (PC or PS6 or whatever exists then). It's not like my Xbox will self destruct If I play games elsewhere lol.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I hope this ain't true, this would only push people away from Xbox overtime.
Older Gen Z, Millennials and up need to kinda accept that the console space is changing and is going to become increasingly unfamiliar as Gen alpha is kinda raised to not give a fuck about game consoles. Xbox and PlayStation have numbered days in their current form. Especially in the sense that they won't exist as the do now past next gen. I believe Microsoft is doing what they feel they need to in order to ensure Xbox exists in some form after 2036.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Older Gen Z, Millennials and up need to kinda accept that the console space is changing and is going to become increasingly unfamiliar as Gen alpha is kinda raised to not give a fuck about game consoles. Xbox and PlayStation have numbered days in their current form. Especially in the sense that they won't exist as the do now past next gen. I believe Microsoft is doing what they feel they need to in order to ensure Xbox exists in some form after 2036.
Older Gen Z is the funny bit in all this. I'm a Z Millennial cusper. For all the talks of Gen Z, it's Alpha that is particularly mobile-oriented.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Per Stephen Totilo's GameFile:

"Microsoft's initial crossover games, for example, haven't charted all that high.

One of its former exclusives, the musical combat game Hi-Fi Rush, was a critical darling on Xbox and PC last year. It was ported to PlayStation this year and ranked in the top 50 among PlayStation's March 2024 bestsellers, Circana analyst Mat Piscatella told Game File.

Pentiment, a critically acclaimed medieval monk murder mystery, ranked merely in PlayStation's top 230 games when it debuted in February and lower in March, Piscatella shared.

It's unlikely that Microsoft expected those games to be huge hits. And it's unclear how their sales measure up to whatever it cost to port them. They didn't sell big, and Microsoft will surely crunch the numbers to figure out if it's worth bringing smaller games over sooner, later or not at all."
It'll be really interesting to see how Microsoft reacts to the sales of the Ported 4. I really do think that when MS crunches the numbers, they'll decide it more worthwhile to keep most singleplayer games exclusive and help sell Game Pass given the performance of Hi-Fi Rush (and to a lesser extent, Pentiment, but I get the feeling that one actually made good money) but it's really interesting to see. Also interesting to see Totilo point out that those two games didn't really sell too hot as well and point out that Microsoft may not decide to bring more games over. But part of me is also thinking that Microsoft goes the opposite way with this and decides to bring those games over day and date while using Game Pass to market them...

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be a constant conversation hurting the brand until Xbox rips the bandaid off and makes it clear that Xbox games will go everywhere after a year. That is clearly the end game at a minimum because their console sales didn't expand like they hoped. I can't believe they didn't wait for COD marketing and game pass before throwing in the towel but as soon as they held that emergency event, it was clear they were giving up on exclusives.

I believe Phil didn't want to do this so he tried to hedge but the writing was on the wall since the Blizzard deal closed and the verbiage from Satya and the money people was all about getting the games into as many hands as possible.

This benefits everyone except Xbox console players and as Phil has made clear, they view that segment as a stagnant minority and a dying one at that. Xbox players Won't leave their libraries as per Spencer's belief and that is why putting games on PlayStation, a segment that also won't leave their libraries , makes sense. They don't care about ruffling the feathers because the rewards outweigh their perceived risks of betraying the trust of the most loyal of Xbox players.

It's a business and Microsoft is a very rich company. Console exclusives don't make sense if your goal is purely financial. The world is constantly changing and it's unclear how to ensure being future proof. It's hard to hold people's attention now and everyone is vying for it. Xbox as we knew it is likely done and watching what it transforms into will remain intriguing. I'll be there in some form or another but I anticipate change because that's a guarantee.

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, is it possible to turn off Quick Resume? It breaks Eiyuden Chronicle's sound every time it restarts it via Quick Resume, and sometimes just crashes altogether. 😔

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Who cares what Jen says about this, he's routinely been off the mark on this topic.

Dreamcast happened a lot faster and was much more brutal fora variety of reasons.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
It'll be really interesting to see how Microsoft reacts to the sales of the Ported 4. I really do think that when MS crunches the numbers, they'll decide it more worthwhile to keep most singleplayer games exclusive and help sell Game Pass given the performance of Hi-Fi Rush (and to a lesser extent, Pentiment, but I get the feeling that one actually made good money) but it's really interesting to see. Also interesting to see Totilo point out that those two games didn't really sell too hot as well and point out that Microsoft may not decide to bring more games over. But part of me is also thinking that Microsoft goes the opposite way with this and decides to bring those games over day and date while using Game Pass to market them...
Yeah I was just thinking about it. Like to me, as a platform holder you either release a game day and date across all target platforms or don't at all. Releasing day and date has the biggest benefit. Porting only helps the tail and scrounge up some extra revenue and is a viable strategy but not the ideal strategy.

I don't really see there being any value in porting over something like Hellblade 2, or Ori, Crackdown, MCC, etc. Big live service games, maybe it makes sense but again the biggest bang is gonna be all at once. So a FH6 or FH7 going day and date rather than the SOT approach. But then again, if SOT is so successful this late into the game... maybe they're fine with it coming years later. IDK what their take away is going to be.

Like porting Forza *Motorsport* onto PS5 seems silly bc that audience will probably not play it over a Gran Turismo anyway.

Tabasco Cat

May 25, 2021

he's sounded confident about this multiple times. this isn't the first time lol

I think I'm gonna go with your thought process with this. there's a lot of games to look forward to and just gonna enjoy them and ride it out.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/1785702467533238545

When it is time for us to file for social security, consoles will be hot again!

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

I think porting stuff is only worth it if they do day and date. We see this happen with late PC ports, where the games don't sell well at all a year after release.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I forgot Ubisoft's thing is the day after Xbox. I imagine we will see something similar to last year where Xbox has a trailer and then they do a deeper dive at Ubisoft forward. Splinter Cell? Far Cry 7?

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Was born 99 (same year Dreamcast came out haha). Thank you for the clarification.
There's definitely reasons people draw the comparison, but the Dreamcast was an absolutely dire situation in a way that's never been replicated. The multiplat announcement for it was absolutely a nail in the coffin moment.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I forgot Ubisoft's thing is the day after Xbox. I imagine we will see something similar to last year where Xbox has a trailer and then they do a deeper dive at Ubisoft forward. Splinter Cell? Far Cry 7?

Splinter Cell reveal trailer at Xbox with a GP announcement + gameplay reveal at Ubisoft Forward. Release in 2025. 🙅🏻

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

Xbox Support

Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta)
Starting today, Xbox Insiders can now manage their game saves and storage for titles played through Game Streaming via supported browsers and Samsung Smart TV's. Take a look at the instructions below in order to preview this new feature.

Note: Users will need to enable Preview features on their browser to gain access to the feature. This is done by clicking on your profile picture at xbox.com/play and then select Settings and then enable "Preview features."

Note: This feature does not work with Backwards Compatible titles.

How do I manage my game data?

Accessing cloud gaming storage management

To open cloud gaming storage management:
  1. Go to xbox.com/play and sign in with your Microsoft account.
  2. Select the Settings icon.
  3. Select the Manage games tab.
  4. You'll see a list of all games you have played through cloud gaming over the last 30 days. If the list is blank or you don't see the game title you're looking for, launch that game, then exit the game and wait 1-2 minutes, then return to the Manage games tab to see a repopulated list of game titles.
  5. Select a game title to see the saves and storage items associated with that game.
Managing your game saves
Resync game saves with Xbox network
syncs your device with the games saves on the cloud. If you try to resync your games saves and nothing happens, check to see if there's a network outage preventing the sync.

Xbox Status
Note:
If your saved data on the Xbox network is less recent than your cloud gaming data, you might lose progress when you resync your game saves.

Delete reserved space refers to space used by the game title to store data other than game saves (including mods, video, logs, and more). Deleting reserved space doesn't affect your game saves, but may slightly affect your gameplay experience depending on the title.

Delete game saves refers to the save files for this game. This will completely delete the game save data across all platforms.

Note Choosing Delete game saves is a permanent action and cannot be undone.