• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 338 49.6%
  • No

Votes: 344 50.4%

• Total voters

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Yeah, I've cut my spending way down with Xbox. If they aren't exiting the console space theyve really blown the messaging. Despite promises of future consoles, I think most would agree a console won't survive without a slate of exclusive games.
I've completely cut out spending outside of PC gamepass. Not interested in just being along for the ride while they try what I think is a strategy that ends the same way as Dreamcast and Sega.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I don't doubt everything is coming. Or at least everything going forward, who knows if they bother with stuff like ReCore or like, Halo 5. It's just a matter of how late the ports are, and how consistent they are with timelines

That said I don't expect that stuff to come up at the showcase this year. You won't see a PlayStation or Switch logo at a major Xbox event until they've fully ripped the band-aid off elsewhere

…. Based???

Yeah games being ported will be announced separately, they won't be at an Xbox event. Which makes sense really, presumably most people who watch are people who are part of the ecosystem or looking to get into it, showing off PlayStation ports as well isn't really logical.

SGF on the other hand is a different story! Keighley announcing a Starfield port??

Tommi813

Jul 19, 2020
In his Discord, Jez was more chatty:

- All Xbox first-party games coming to PlayStation, even Forza, Halo
- Xbox will be more Steam-like in the future
- Affordable prices, sales, more open for devs
- Future Xbox-Hardware gonna be for fans who want it
- Xbox hardware will be niche like Steam Deck
- Next Xbox will side-load Steam
- "I don't think they expect to ever grow in hardware"

he said "Nobody wanted to give Xbox a chance, so this is what they get with a Sony monopoly"

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
In his Discord, Jez was more chatt:

he said "Nobody wanted to give Xbox a chance, so this is what they get with a Sony monopoly"

It annoys me when people blame Xbox issues on the industry, and not Xbox themselves. They had a great 360 generation, people did give them a chance. And they pissed it away.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
They said it was a creative choice - not artistic. And that's not only true but the REALLY wild thing is EVERY game makes that choice.
I'm referring to Todd Howard's commentary about it being a deliberate choice to ensure fidelity that wouldn't otherwise be possible, not any one quote from Spencer or Howard or Hines or someone.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
zj479V6l.png

dune-dune-part-2.gif

Who to believe? Phil "Not a change to our kind of fundamental exclusive strategy" Spencer or Jez "Off Da Kraken" Corden

I do have a feeling these quotes will age poorly. It's only been 2.5 months!
  • There's really no fundamental change to how we think about exclusivity.
  • So four games, no promise beyond that. So if you're on those other platforms and you see these four games coming, please don't take it as some signal that everything's coming. It's not.

Last edited:

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
He think, the next Xbox gonna be a hybrid, where you can use Steam and the Xbox store. Basically playing Sony games via Steam in Xbox.

I still don't see how giving access to Steam helps Xbox. They won't make any money off it. If they want to do it cool, but it is hard to see how it would be financially viable for them.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021

Xbox didnt want to give Xbox a chance lol. Don't blame the market when 90% of the issues are of Xbox's own making and when it finally looks like they might fix them they give up.

Lui

Sep 22, 2022
I still don't see how giving access to Steam helps Xbox. They won't make any money off it. If they want to do it cool, but it is hard to see how it would be financially viable for them.
If Valve can do it with the Steam Deck MS can as well. Sell it at or close to cost and call it a day.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017

None of this is that surprising (considering the other leaker that already posted all this and has been correct so far) will be interesting to see how this plays out for them and he shouldn't be blaming customers for Xbox's poor position

Last edited:

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
If Valve can do it with the Steam Deck MS can as well. Sell it at or close to cost and call it a day.
The difference is every dev supports steam and by extension steam deck what makes you think with console sales cratering that devs will go out of their way to support a steam deck lite from MS ( which needs a dedicated port and optimization since Xbox versions don't have PC graphics settings).

Only way it works is to make it a PC, at which point just kill the console hardware and be done with it if you're gonna end up releasing PC based hardware that doesnt support cross buy for 90% of titles.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
The difference is every dev supports steam and by extension steam deck what makes you think with console sales cratering that devs will go out of their way to support a steam deck lite from MS ( which needs a dedicated port and optimization since Xbox versions don't have PC graphics settings).

Only way it works is to make it a PC, at which point just kill the console hardware and be done with it if you're gonna end up releasing PC based hardware that doesnt support cross buy for 90% of titles.

Could easily be a PC version with pre-defined/default settings. I don't think that's a big hurdle.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I stand by saying that one of the worst things of Xbox console basically dying is we are stuck with symmetrical sticks on Dualsense
average user moving to symmetrical stick layout:
main-qimg-d99c205605ab461fb0ea30c8355a6d0e-lq

IF all this comes to fruition then I can see myself getting Xbox hardware because having Steam in the living room (with a made for tv ui) sounds great
but outside of that? then shit...my fav gaming brand dies and I look forward to play their titles on PC and PS6

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
He thinks, the next Xbox gonna be a hybrid, where you can use Steam and the Xbox store. Basically playing Sony games via Steam on Xbox.
and i don't believe him lol

If it does then third parties have zero reason to support a dedicated Xbox version. Which would mean the Xbox console experience is totally dead.
isn't this what you wanted? i recall you saying that if they made multiplatform stuff then just do a pc hybrid and that's what jez is talking about

zj479V6l.png

dune-dune-part-2.gif

Who to believe? Phil "Not a change to our kind of fundamental exclusive strategy" Spencer or Jez "Off Da Kraken" Corden

I do have a feeling these quotes will age poorly. It's only been 2.5 months!
  • There's really no fundamental change to how we think about exclusivity.
  • So four games, no promise beyond that. So if you're on those other platforms and you see these four games coming, please don't take it as some signal that everything's coming. It's not.
that's the fakest insider that everyone believes, 90% was really easy to predict and the rest didn't pan out yet lol curious to see if flight sim 2024 and id's next game is gonna be fully multiplatform (implying no temporary exclusivity) or be pc/xbox only at launch

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
"You have a PC, a console and then you have Xbox".

Microsoft wants to do something different and I don't know what to think of it. It's a big risk they are willing to take. They could go back to how it was in 360 days, but they clearly don't want to. It's evident they prefer software over hardware, but most of the revenue comes from games selling on their hardware. The industry is also very different from what it was 10+ years ago, both Microsoft and Sony pivoting. Nintendo is really something else huh. It will be very interesting next few years.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Could easily be a PC version with pre-defined/default settings. I don't think that's a big hurdle.
Again, if this is the solution then just kill the console. PC and console versions are in almost all ways not compatible. If you put out hardware that has non compatible versions with your existing console ecosystem then your existing ecosystem is dead.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Again, if this is the solution then just kill the console. PC and console versions are in almost all ways not compatible. If you put out hardware that has non compatible versions with your existing console ecosystem then your existing ecosystem is dead.

Why kill the console? This sounds like an appealing box to me and is what a lot of us had been asking for. What is non compatible? I'm sure it'll still support back compat.

Lui

Sep 22, 2022
But Valve gets benefit from Steam? I dont get your reply :p (probably my fault it is morning here).
I mean the same way you're able to sideload Windows on the Steam Deck and only use the Xbox app instead of steam itself if you wanted to. But instead its the opposite where you buy the Xbox/PC hybrid and only decide to use steam instead of the Xbox store. Though I guess people are incentivized to remain on Steam since its simply better than trying to use Windows on a portable. Still, It remains to be seen if MS can make their own experience good enough to stop people from going elsewhere assuming this all real anyways and jez isn't smoking reefer.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
They've got a lot of challenges to overcome with a pc-console hybrid. If I want convenience at a subsidized price, I'll get a console like the PS6. If I want raw horsepower and an open ecosystem, I'll build a PC. I dunno if it's possible to hit that goldilocks in-between zone where you're getting the strengths of both ends of the spectrum and none of the drawbacks. I'm willing to hear em out! But I dunno

Handheld has more potential imo

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I wonder if there is a way that Xbox could effectively be a Steam key reseller, but a digital version. That way they'd still get a cut of every sale.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
on a bright note im seeing Hellblade 2 can be pre-installed on PC
not sure how long thats been there first time im seeing it labeled as such on the app

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I mean the same way you're able to sideload Windows on the Steam Deck and only use the Xbox app instead of steam itself if you wanted to. But instead its the opposite where you buy the Xbox/PC hybrid and only decide to use steam instead of the Xbox store. Though I guess people are incentivized to remain on Steam since its simply better than trying to use Windows on a portable. Though it remains to be seen if MS can make their own experience good enough to stop people from going elsewhere assuming this all real anyways and jez isn't smoking reefer.

Ah thanks for clarifying. You are right, but the difference is that Steam is the dominant store in this situation. So valve in their minds would probably be anticipating that they lose only a small percentage of sales to Microsoft. It's the same how they allow you to launch games through steam from opposing storefronts; they know you will be back to them anyway so it doesn't matter, who cares about the odd game or two.

Xbox is trying to grow their own pc store. So giving easy access to the storefront that is currently kicking their ass but also would sell 99.9% of the stuff they do seems strange from a business perspective. If someone just buys heaps of stuff through steam then, Xbox makes no money?

Unless there is something I am missing just seems weird to me :p

Azuos

Sep 29, 2021
There is no real incentive to subsidize the price when you are not getting anything from it(xbox using steam).

I don't see how this will work for Microsoft.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
They need to just come out and tell us wtf they're doing so people who hate it can move on and people who don't mind can do whatever, I'm so sick of these constant back and forths are they in or out discussions.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Ah thanks for clarifying. You are right, but the difference is that Steam is the dominant store in this situation. So valve in their minds would probably be anticipating that they lose only a small percentage of sales to Microsoft. It's the same how they allow you to launch games through steam from opposing storefronts; they know you will be back to them anyway so it doesn't matter, who cares about the odd game or two.

Xbox is trying to grow their own pc store. So giving easy access to the storefront that is currently kicking their ass but also would sell 99.9% of the stuff they do seems strange from a business perspective. If someone just buys heaps of stuff through steam then, Xbox makes no money?

Unless there is something I am missing just seems weird to me :p

I think there's a pretty good chance that the less informed consumer will go with the default store that is in front of their face and heavily promoted rather than one that is a fallback.

There is no real incentive to subsidize the price when you are not getting anything from it(xbox using steam).

I don't see how this will work for Microsoft.

Phil just told us that he doesn't like the subsidy model anymore.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
and i don't believe him lol

isn't this what you wanted? i recall you saying that if they made multiplatform stuff then just do a pc hybrid and that's what jez is talking about

that's the fakest insider that everyone believes, 90% was really easy to predict and the rest didn't pan out yet lol curious to see if flight sim 2024 and id's next game is gonna be fully multiplatform (implying no temporary exclusivity) or be pc/xbox only at launch
For me personally, yes. I would like a reasonably priced PC for TV use. But that's only because I've already fully accepted that they are doing full multiplat and have subsequently switched to PC, so a PC hybrid console actually suits my needs. It absolutely would not be what I want if I was still expecting to be a primarily console player, or what I think is healthy for the brand long term.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
jez gonna wake up and be like uwu woopsie but hey the XB2 has its Friday topic

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

He's just drunk.

FilthyCasual

Aug 30, 2021
Dropped in to the safer seas of Sea of Thieves after not having played for, I dunno, three years and wow, that game has changed a lot. I've played 120Hz mode of a few games before and never noticed much of a difference, but holy hell can I see it in SoT. Turned it off because I was by myself and it seems to mute the colors (there was a note about it affecting/breaking HDR). Anyway, that was something new and exciting (for me) on the Xbox the other day.

*returns to getting ass handed to oneself in Another Crab's Treasure*

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
I have deep doubts about what Xbox is doing currently as a console platform holder, but Jez just says whatever and flip flops all the time. You have to have some level of cohesion and consistency to your thoughts to be worth paying attention to.