• Yes

Votes: 375 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 362 49.1%

• Total voters

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
did that happen because xbox/ps rushed the hardware? don't really remember the reason

The factory defect rate for Xbox 360 consoles in August 2005 - four months prior to its US launch - was as high as 68 per cent.

What's more, the initial yield on the three-core CPU designed by IBM for the next-generation console was just 16 per cent.

That's all according to a report by VentureBeat's Dean Takahashi, author of the console's unofficial biography, of sorts, Xbox 360 Uncloaked, who attributed the numbers to "several sources".

www.eurogamer.net

Original 360 defect rate was 68 per cent

The factory defect rate for Xbox 360 consoles in August 2005 - four months prior to its US launch - was as high as 68 p…

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
www.eurogamer.net

The factory defect rate for Xbox 360 consoles in August 2005 - four months prior to its US launch - was as high as 68 p…
>68
OIP.J4wSHte7sUj282DnXn1wtwAAAA

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I wonder who's idea it is to send a bunch of influencers out to some location for the game. I feel like Xbox has done this recently for a handful of games to various degrees. Redfall had the invitation thing, Forza Motorsport had the track meet in Las Vegas, Hellblade in Iceland.

I gotta wonder .. is this an effective method? 🤔
Probably not lol. Maybe this means something to somebody out there, I could just be out of touch.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
it's a bit funny (sad) that all these question marks about future of hardware of xbox and third party support are happening right when the third party support on xbox is at it's best lol

to be clear, i understand the worries and don't disagree with them!! just find the timing a bit ironic
As a constant complainer, it's ironic to me as well. I wanted to make a post about with some data, maybe I'll do that later in here or an actual thread because it's actually literally true.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
As a constant complainer, it's ironic to me as well. I wanted to make a post about with some data, maybe I'll do that later in here or an actual thread because it's actually literally true.
kinda sucks. hopefully whatever they have planned sustains their hardware alongside their current third party support. we never got so many indies, stuff from asia (not only japan but south korea, SEA and more), europe, south america, etc. the third party and id@xbox teams at xbox are incredible.

they have been SO bad lately.

www.eurogamer.net

damn that's high lol

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

View: https://x.com/vicious696/status/1787651048687182207

Honestly I could see it. They're basically already doing it now with the ROG Ally and Lenovo Legion GO but really early. Gathering telemetry, feedback, adjusting UI in the XBox PC app (however small), laying groundwork on the OS level, etc. I could see them letting 3rd parties hit the market first while they incorporate feedback and lessons from them into a bespoke first party device.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

View: https://x.com/vicious696/status/1787651048687182207

Honestly I could see it. They're basically already doing it now with the ROG Ally and Lenovo Legion GO but really early. Gathering telemetry, feedback, adjusting UI in the XBox PC app (however small), laying groundwork on the OS level, etc. I could see them letting 3rd parties hit the market first while they incorporate feedback and lessons from them into a bespoke first party device.

I don't have faith that they have the Sw ready for rhat but I hope they do haha. I'd buy one when the Strix Point handhelds drop.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
kinda sucks. hopefully whatever they have planned sustains their hardware alongside their current third party support. we never got so many indies, stuff from asia (not only japan but south korea, SEA and more), europe, south america, etc. the third party and id@xbox teams at xbox are incredible.
Next couple of years are set to be even better.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
Next couple of years are set to be even better.
Clippy, i really like you and your posts but i swear that i don't follow if this is irony or not (because of the dwindling sales and the change of strategy) lmao

i do believe that the next couple years will be even better tho!! their outreach and initiatives to get stuff on xbox has been really impressive. what worries me is after that, which i think is what you think too?

anyway, quite looking forward to the showcase, next partner previews and other things to see what kinda stuff those teams have been cooking

ShadowGldtr

Mar 26, 2024
The big question would be if all games work with that overlay for the ROG Ally, etc. I have doubts that some games that are solely on consoles (eg Unicorn Overlord or the upcoming College Football game) would be allowed to essentially run on a PC.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Clippy, i really like you and your posts but i swear that i don't follow if this is irony or not (because of the dwindling sales and the change of strategy) lmao

i do believe that the next couple years will be even better tho!! their outreach and initiatives to get stuff on xbox has been really impressive. what worries me is after that, which i think is what you think too?

anyway, quite looking forward to the showcase, next partner previews and other things to see what kinda stuff those teams have been cooking

Dead serious. There are reasons why I'm skeptical of Xbox in long term that we don't need to repeat, but there are actual (public) numbers behind why support is actually gonna get better in the next 1-3 years. I'll actually just stop vague-posting and effort post about it.

Unrelated to why I think FF games are gonna start coming.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
The big question would be if all games work with that overlay for the ROG Ally, etc. I have doubts that some games that are solely on consoles (eg Unicorn Overlord or the upcoming College Football game) would be allowed to essentially run on a PC.
One of the big problems I see. They don't have licenses for this stuff. Also have to wonder about compatibility and possibly showing your partners in a bad light if this is 100% smooth and seamless.

FilthyCasual

Aug 30, 2021

they have been SO bad lately.

damn that's high lol

It was Dark Times. I had three RRoDs.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
Dead serious. There are reasons why I'm skeptical of Xbox in long term that we don't need to repeat, but there are actual (public) numbers behind why support is actually gonna get better in the next 1-3 years. I'll actually just stop vague-posting and effort post about it.

Unrelated to why I think FF games are gonna start coming.
Can't wait for the post! (but don't rush it since i know how much effort it takes to gather data and stuff). The FF stuff (the remakes at least) i imagine is related to data off the installbase forums that people are chatting in the other thread. really curious for the showcase, i'm 99% sure that at the very least FFXVI will show up there.

It was Dark Times. I had three RRoDs.
I had two 😭 i understand the pain, i just didn't know they were that high _before_ shipping

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
Maybe the rumored Black Ops 6 short tease coming this month could give a good material for hype train.

i love the idea but i dont think there really is much hype on the thread with anything cod or warzone related. and now even less with solis banned lol
It doesn't really matter what it is, but a plane in the distance and avatars dropping out is a good idea. We could always do a basic shelf.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

My guess is only the Xbox branded devices would get away with BC

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I hear about PC gamer it is somewhat posting bottom-of-the-barrel clickbait (usually rage bait) headlines

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
the hype shelf should be the double fine two headed baby logo going into space (new double fine game + shattered space for starfield)

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
maybe we just do a photomosaic of something like the xbox logo or pregnant crash using our pfps

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
in an ideal world the hype thingie should be an adra pillar with our pfps coming out of it instead of souls but i cant find any good image to use :(

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Certain Affinity mp project was cancelled because they were put on Halo 3 Anniversary duty

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
This misses the point entirely. It's not about whether Microsoft abandons the console or not, but about whether players and third parties do. Microsoft can keep it running as long as they feel like it, even as a side project if need be.

That won't work for third parties and Game Pass you mention as a neccessity to Microsoft, suddenly becomes a neccessity to third parties, if the install base becomes too low. At that point many will need a Game Pass deal to make ports worth it and how many and large will those be, if Game Pass only (or mainly) sells on Xbox, like you said and the console isn't selling well?

As for players, how long will it keep working for them, if they get everything on other platforms and only some games on Xbox? It's a cycle of decline, where one thing feeds into the other.

Here's the latest speculation on sales:

www.resetera.com

Xbox Game Studios + Bethesda + ABK |OT30| Why So Series X|S? Microsoft - OT

https://x.com/Welfare_JBP/status/1787246041651105860

This is Microsoft's best territory.

What was Dring's words? Something along the lines of thinking Xbox is in real trouble as a hardware manufacturer, with sales flatlining in Europe.

Microsoft can keep making the console, but that missing the entire point of how compelling said console will be to players and developers. And that's why some of us are against the ports.

That strategy won't work for the console, even if Microsoft keeps making it. They ecosystem will be irreversibly damaged.

People keep saying that, but assuming Xbox does at least 20+ million next gen, the vast majority of third party won't skip that, that is still a decent audience for something that isn't that much different to a PC, development wise. Will smaller games and indies sometimes skip? Sure, but that happens now and it happens with PlayStation as well.

I am not necessarily having a go at people being against Ports, I totally understand. I just think the worries are not really applicable. There's no real alternative really; the console isn't selling that well so to make more money they need to bring the games elsewhere. That's it really.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
My question about console / pc thing is what is the big reason for Xbox to be locked down in the way it has been for so long, it is running windows already pretty much so what's to stop them from having the console look like it is today but just being a win11 pc essentially. I get security are issues but with the security chip they have in the Xbox I think that'll go a long way, apparently the same chip is even in the Surface laptops or are going to be at some point.

If a windows based console runs the exact same code as a win11 PC steam/winstore/gog and whatever, there would be literally no reason not to support the console and with optimising on console pretty much gone to shit what benefits does a locked down console like that do anymore.

Series X has all sorts of cool tech that PS5 didn't at the time and not a single dev really utilized it so what's the point. I don't think there is any point anymore in have exclusive features that take time to implement when devs are struggling now with just getting games to run in good states at launch.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
My question about console / pc thing is what is the big reason for Xbox to be locked down in the way it has been for so long, it is running windows already pretty much so what's to stop them from having the console look like it is today but just being a win11 pc essentially. I get security are issues but with the security chip they have in the Xbox I think that'll go a long way, apparently the same chip is even in the Surface laptops or are going to be at some point.

If a windows based console runs the exact same code as a win11 PC steam/winstore/gog and whatever, there would be literally no reason not to support the console and with optimising on console pretty much gone to shit what benefits does a locked down console like that do anymore.

Series X has all sorts of cool tech that PS5 didn't at the time and not a single dev really utilized it so what's the point. I don't think there is any point anymore in have exclusive features that take time to implement when devs are struggling now with just getting games to run in good states at launch.
You can only sell a console at the price you can because you have guaranteed ROI after the fact thanks to the locked down ecosystem. Look at the Playstation business margins. They're razor thin as is, now imagine if you took away a large part of the high margin software and microtransaction sales.

If you want a PC/console hybrid, be prepared to pay PC prices up front.

And I'd argue the general public is not at all interested in something like this at those prices: see Steam machines. Either they want the customization of a PC, or the simplicity of a console. Not much in-between. Even Steam Deck which is the current closest competitor realistically only sold a few million at most despite the hardcore circles loving it. And SD only works at all because Steam is a dominant storefront already, and they can more or less expect the equivalent of lock in for most purchasers, and so can subsidize the system still.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019

I genuinely don't think i am super confident on the Windows team delivering a good controller OS
but yea that locked ecosystem is what keeps these boxes alive tbh

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
You can only sell a console at the price you can because you have guaranteed ROI after the fact thanks to the locked down ecosystem. Look at the Playstation business margins. They're razor thin as is, now imagine if you took away a large part of the high margin software and microtransaction sales.

And I'd argue the general public is not at all interested in something like this at those prices: see Steam machines. Either they want the customization of a PC, or the simplicity of a console. Not much in-between. Even Steam Deck which is the current closest competitor realistically only sold a few million at most despite the hardcore circles loving it. And SD only works at all because Steam is a dominant storefront already, and they can more or less expect the equivalent of lock in for most purchasers, and so can subsidize the system still.

My point is more about software wise, what is the big difference in the console running console code vs pc not really about the hardware itself. It still would be a locked down system in the sense you're talking about but just be able to run identical PC titles from the Xbox store, not saying they'll allow Steam/GOG and so on. I think my question is more on the GDK stuff with how they port titles from PC to Xbox and the other way around, its supposedly easy to do but with games skipping the platform you would think having 2 versions PC/Xbox would elevate that.

Also with the systems having unique features it just seems like a waste of time, which is the biggest drawcard for consoles for the longest time, 3rd party devs aren't simply using the features.

I genuinely don't think i am super confident on the Windows team delivering a good controller OS
but yea that locked ecosystem is what keeps these boxes alive tbh

I would say Xbox team would focus on that.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

There is no such thing as guaranteed ROI. Only estimates. 😜

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
People keep saying that, but assuming Xbox does at least 20+ million next gen, the vast majority of third party won't skip that, that is still a decent audience for something that isn't that much different to a PC, development wise. Will smaller games and indies sometimes skip? Sure, but that happens now and it happens with PlayStation as well.

I am not necessarily having a go at people being against Ports, I totally understand. I just think the worries are not really applicable. There's no real alternative really; the console isn't selling that well so to make more money they need to bring the games elsewhere. That's it really.
It may be that there is no alternative. It may be they wasted all the goodwill and time they had. They spent a decade not delivering and reducing the first party output. With Bethesda acquisition Phil said it was about "exclusives where Gamepass exists." That clearly isn't the case. I think they need to be clear about where they are going but it's Xbox and clear messaging is not their strong suit.

At the end of the day they are kind of giving up on the consoles. It's a paradigm shift but it's not clear how they plan on navigating those waters. It's messing with my head that after 20 years they could launch a console that doesn't interest me.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
My point is more about software wise, what is the big difference in the console running console code vs pc not really about the hardware itself. It still would be a locked down system in the sense you're talking about but just be able to run identical PC titles from the Xbox store, not saying they'll allow Steam/GOG and so on. I think my question is more on the GDK stuff with how they port titles from PC to Xbox and the other way around, its supposedly easy to do but with games skipping the platform you would think having 2 versions PC/Xbox would elevate that.

Also with the systems having unique features it just seems like a waste of time, which is the biggest drawcard for consoles for the longest time, 3rd party devs aren't simply using the features.
My guess is that the act of getting a game running on the current iteration of the xbox OS doesn't involve much more work now than it would if it was just an MS PC store frontend. I imagine most of the work even now is
  1. Platform features like matchmaking and achievements
  2. Console optimization and performance targets
  3. Adding another platform to the cert/QA process that makes things more difficult.
Making the xbox run PC versions of games imo won't improve any of those things, unless you are willing to have PC graphics options in console games.

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
Microsoft will announce Blizzard Albany has been transitioned back to Vicarious Visions and will immediately begin development on THPS 3+4

it'll never happen in reality 😥
Your spoiler text is sadly accurate, I'd guess. Microsoft didn't buy ABK to scale anything back from CoD. I had a lot of hope, as both an Xbox owner but also someone who mainly games on PS5, that Microsoft owning ABK would lead to a lot more studio freedom. But as much as Microsoft bought ABK, in some sense ABK bought Microsoft. That is, Microsoft is sort of beholden to ABK's financial driver, Call of Duty. How does it look if Microsoft buys the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and then immediately starts to lower revenue by decreasing CoD output or reviving old titles and new, untested IPs?

I mean, prove me wrong Phil. Microsoft certainly has the cash to take creative risks. The problem is that I sincerely doubt they will. If VV is too crucial to getting the next corporate Amazon tv show skins ready for the next season of CoD, they'll be stuck working on that and not Tony Hawk.