Should there be a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 463 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 403 46.5%

• Total voters

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
They seem so desperate trying to change the narrative by telling to everyone in public every single step of their marketing plan for hellblade 2, like nothing happened, hope people keep holding those suits accountable for what they are doing to people lives while them are tweeting very confortable from their homes with a secured job
what's this?

so Xbox should just go numb and stop advertising their games?

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Phil miscalculated, things didn't work out as they had envisioned. Doesn't help it's a team that has made a series of poor decisions (continuously) to this point and it's finally catching up now that they're under scrutiny. Frankly I'm shocked the executives at Xbox still have jobs, should've been out before the studios.
I think they just figured that the studios having creative freedom was enough, and it just isn't.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Jesus christ the point of having a successful live service is that it sustains the studio and reduces risk. Sea of Thieves is doing great. This is like saying Bungie is going to be closed down because their output outside of Destiny has been slow and reportedly with problems.

Nearly every game takes over 5 years to make and has tumultuous periods. Microsofts fault is announcing it too early.

We come back to that 2020 E3 show often, but Microsoft really had no choice other than to announce games with CGI trailers. The only concrete thing they had was a not remotely ready Halo gameplay trailer.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
The fear for Rare is that they become just the Sea of Thieves studio. Why spend time making something that might make money years from now when you could be making that will make money months from now? At least I'm sure that is what some people at Microsoft are thinking.
They're already not just a SoT studio though. They're not going to cancel Everwild after how much time and money they've put in. If anything, the success of SoT buys them the time and space they need to work on Everwild.

If they get Everwild right, it could be ANOTHER SoT. Hell, it could be bigger than SoT!

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
We come back to that 2020 E3 show often, but Microsoft really had no choice other than to announce games with CGI trailers. The only concrete thing they had was a not remotely ready Halo gameplay trailer.
Yeah it was a necessary evil at the time, but thankfully they've moved away from it now that they don't need to.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I'd probably bite on that Ally X if it had an OLED screen. At this point I'm too spoiled with playing my games on OLED monitor/TV and Steam Deck OLED. But nice that like Valve, they are putting more emphasis on battery. Battery life is king.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
The fear for Rare is that they become just the Sea of Thieves studio. Why spend time making something that might make money years from now when you could be making that will make money months from now? At least I'm sure that is what some people at Microsoft are thinking.

I think it's been said by Rare heads they have 2-3 teams. At least one is the dedicated SoT team..which is pretty large by all accounts.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
the way that it's not even clear what it's supposed to be- Everwild just seems like what happens when a studio has its head too far up its own ass, ME Andromeda style.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's been said by Rare heads they have 2-3 teams. At least one is the dedicated SoT team..which is pretty large by all accounts.

I know that already. Rare has 1 or 2 other teams working on other stuff...now. That's 1 or 2 teams worth of people that could be working on Sea of Thieves. Microsoft just closed down entire studios to reallocate resources into bigger, more assured projects. Project cancellations (many that we don't know of yet), pitch rejections, and layoffs are going to happen across the board at Microsoft.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I know that already. Rare has 1 or 2 other teams working on other stuff...now. That's 1 or 2 teams worth of people that could be working on Sea of Thieves. Microsoft just closed down entire studios to reallocate resources into bigger, more assured projects. Project cancellations (many that we don't know of yet), pitch rejections, and layoffs are going to happen across the board at Microsoft.
If Sea of Thieves starts to decline, they'll be grateful to have Everwild coming out in 2026 or whatever.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched Parris' video.

The problem is: MS can't just fundamentally change its Game Pass strategy. They certainly can't just scrap Game Pass and go back to the traditional full-price model. Who's going to invest hundreds or even thousands of dollars in the Xbox ecosystem after everything that's happened? I don't see that happening.

The best way I can see for Microsoft to turn the tide is to let go of their hardware to save huge costs. They should be fully focussed on Xcloud and making the streaming experience the best it can be so that Game Pass works flawlessly on every device. In addition, all games should be released on all platforms.

Has Microsoft ever released any numbers saying what the split of GamePass users were between console/PC/cloud?

Shooting from the hip here, but I am assuming that the majority of GamePass users are still primarily console gamers. Cutting off hardware going forward would be an easy way to let GamePass subs drop by quite a bit.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
i would think they still want more hits besides sea of thieves in rare's case. makes no sense to throw more manpower at it when they have a big team at rare + lucid + flix + more outsourcing at it.

Everwild just seems like what happens when a studio has its head too far up its own ass, ME Andromeda style.
what does that even mean. fascinating how things are going to executive fuck ups to throwing creative teams under the bus because they don't meet the oh so almighty needs of the gamer timelines.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
what does that even mean. fascinating how things are going to executive fuck ups to throwing creative teams under the bus because they don't meet the oh so almighty needs of the gamer timelines.
that it's even possible that it's not even clear what everwild is supposed to be (circa 2022?) is probably a failure of creative teams and executives. Do we even know what genre it's supposed to be? Does Microsoft?

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
If Sea of Thieves starts to decline, they'll be grateful to have Everwild coming out in 2026 or whatever.

i would think they still want more hits besides sea of thieves in rare's case. makes no sense to throw more manpower at it when they have a big team at rare + lucid + flix + more outsourcing at it.

What in recent days has made you think Microsoft is that forward thinking? I agree that they should be working on other titles because you never know when your golden goose will decline and you never know when you strike gold with the next big thing. But if you were to tell me years ago that Vicarious Visions and Toys for Bob would be put into the COD mines after releasing successful platformers and remasters, I don't think I would believe it. But they did end up there because execs wanted to squeeze as much blood from the rock as possible.

realricochet

Apr 30, 2019
Mexico
I hope there is no review bombing towards Hellblade 2 believing that this will punish Microsoft. I mean, if HFR was punished because "Xbox hasn't released games in a long time" what could I expect from this...

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, there was no other choice. Some of the mismanagement accusations - not all - also comes from that and people still don't getting how long it takes to make a game. It's kinda the same when people say "they bought all of these studios and still released no exclusives".

They still aren't through the first round of AAA dev cycles. It's just how long it takes and even longer if the studio or team had to be built first or came with prior obligations or similar.

Even the game they showed before the systems released - Hellblade 2 - isn't out yet.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
that it's even possible that it's not even clear what everwild is supposed to be (circa 2022?) is probably a failure of creative teams and executives. Do we even know what genre it's supposed to be? Does Microsoft?
the creative director left in 2020 and since then greg mayles took over and per andy robinson (VGC) it's been doing far better since then (more viva piñata esque). if you don't even know about the subject, why even talk about it?

DDrift

Jun 9, 2019

I'm never going to spend another penny on this platform. I truly hope the incredibly talented team at Tango finds a better home, preferably with Nintendo or Sony. They deserve to create an amazing game that earns heaps of praise and awards. Go to TGA/BAFTA or whatever and throws that in the F face of Xbox leadership team. God please let this happen.

*Yeah I'm beyond pissed.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
the creative director left in 2020 and since then greg mayles took over and per andy robinson (VGC) it's been doing far better since then (more viva piñata esque). if you don't even know about the subject, why even talk about it?
I don't think pessimism is unwarranted since Grubb's own reporting that they didn't know what the hell they were doing with it 🤷🏽

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
What in recent days has made you think Microsoft is that forward thinking? I agree that they should be working on other titles because you never know when your golden goose will decline and you never know when you strike gold with the next big thing. But if you were to tell me years ago that Vicarious Visions and Toys for Bob would be put into the COD mines after releasing successful platformers and remasters, I don't think I would believe it. But they did end up there because execs wanted to squeeze as much blood from the rock as possible.
There's a difference between closing studios before they had new projects greenlit and cancelling games which have already been in development for 5+ years and which Xbox themselves greenlit.

The majority of the big in-development games are likely safe.

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
It was rebooted late 2020 and were optimistically targeting 2024 release. What you are talking about happened 3.5-4 years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Everwild don't exist to me as a consumer until they show it again. That's on Microsoft/rare they don't get the benefit of the doubt from me anymore. Show it when it's ready that's about all the energy I can muster for em at this point

And before anybody try the bs I've pushed Everwild HEAVY in here along with fucking contraband another one

DrFreeman

Banned
May 9, 2020
Has anyone seen Phil Spencer? Has he commented on what's been announced at all?

Do we need to send out a search party?

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Everwild don't exist to me as a consumer until they show it again. That's on Microsoft/rare they don't get the benefit of the doubt from me anymore. Show it when it's ready that's about all the energy I can muster for em at this point
this is where I'm at, if they want excitement or benefit of the doubt they can earn it because it's all pessimism right now personally.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023

And before anybody try the bs I've pushed Everwild HEAVY in here along with fucking contraband another one
that's reasonable. the "team so up it's ass" that bothers me. some teams try new stuff and it takes time to find what makes the game click. that should be encouraged.

i didn't say they are, but i don't think they are at activision level _yet_. we'll see though, i certainly understand the skepticism - i just don't think throwing more manpower at sea of thieves would do much.