• Yes

Votes: 472 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 410 46.5%

• Total voters

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
i would agree with Vixolus again for the second time today, i don't think its fair on NT to answer that question personally. Ask it of Phil and the SLT but NT is just trying to get HB2 out and in the best way possible.
can we go for the hat trick

Greg seemed to imply they were going to get his thoughts on those recent events which IMO is a mistake. It would be bad vibes and terrible timing. Let Spencer answer for it in like two weeks after that.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
they can't do anything on mobile really for now until it gets opened up more. They can maybe do something in the EU only like what Epic is planning on doing but that's about it..
Fair Enough, I thought it would have been an app to like download games and such.

I'm assuming apple and Google want their cut tho in NA?

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
they can't do anything on mobile really for now until it gets opened up more. They can maybe do something in the EU only like what Epic is planning on doing but that's about it..

Fair Enough, I thought it would have been an app to like download games and such.

I'm assuming apple and Google want their cut tho in NA?
They could 100% do a real store on Android, but it would be as annoying to use as the Amazon app store is due to installation prompts saying it could be dangerous to install (I think this is one of Epic's complaints about installing Fortnite on Android). Wouldn't be a problem for the two Android phones Microsoft made but that's not a whole lot of devices. I think Bond said they are doing the web store on both anyway though so that purchases could be platform agnostic. Gives me hope that when they can do a real store on both it'll be a Play Anywhere type situation between Android and iOS devices for purchased games.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
why are they half assing this lol. Then again I am not sure what I expected with the state of the pc store after how many years.
There are still regulations to follow, a web-based store allow them to start with it globally rather than only in certain markets because of the ongoing lawsuits against Apple from both Epic and Europe.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
imo the full reason that they are doing this is cause:
- US you can only link out to a website to buy your mtx, i don't think there isn't any alternative app stores there (its almost 9pm on a friday so struggling to remember)
- EU you can have an alternative appstore both native or web store where you can download apps (downlink apps from the web is a new addition); the issue currently is that to install an app with more than 1m donwloads is unless you are tiny, you are going to be charged $0.50 per install beyond 1m app. Some bean counter has probably given them a scary esitmate.

I would rather them to eat the $0.50 but like Spotify and Epic; they might want to keep fighting that CTF.

If you are doing a store, you also need to get the other big mobile devs onboarded include Epic imo.

Last edited:

reksveks

May 17, 2022
can we go for the hat trick

Greg seemed to imply they were going to get his thoughts on those recent events which IMO is a mistake. It would be bad vibes and terrible timing. Let Spencer answer for it in like two weeks after that.
Agreed, it's a question that i have and its a fair question for Greg/anyone to have. I just hope it isn't the story of the interview but it probably is going ending being that even if NT wants to be about the game.

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
Are they allowed to have their own app yet, but with a cut to Apple/Google?

After the debacle that is the PC store, say just accept the 30% cut and give it the best chance to get people using it.

They can do an Android store with no cut to Google (since the beginning of Android), but not so much on iOS.

Last edited:

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
Regarding the mobile store, important to remember that in the EU this summer Apple is allowing downloading and installing apps from the web:

Web Distribution, available in iOS 17.5 beta 2, lets authorized developers distribute their iOS apps to users in the European Union (EU) directly from a website owned by the developer. Apple will provide access to APIs that facilitate the distribution of developers' apps from the web, integrate with system functionality, back up and restore users' apps, and more.

Maybe the store will provide more functionality in the EU.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PC store improved a lot.
I actually think its the best looking and most cohesive app on pc (I don't really care much about the social stuff that steam has).

but the last 6 months its not letting me launch games properly (reinstalling the app doesn't help), i literally have to restart my pc hald the time i try to run a game.

I looked up the error code online and its been an issue for like 3 years.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
idk if anyone is subscribed to Game File but Stephen Totilo is talking animal well and says something about "Why the game is so small... and an answer to the Xbox question." as a bullet point

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
idk if anyone is subscribed to Game File but Stephen Totilo is talking animal well and says something about "Why the game is so small... and an answer to the Xbox question." as a bullet point
I'm not subscribed to anything but the Alanah Pearce one (Play, Watch, Listen or something like that). If you're subbed let us know what they say!

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
In regards to Ybarra's tweet on choosing a lane and Game Pass being a north-star in one of them, I'd argue they've been in both lanes from the start. If Game Pass was really their north-star, they would have:
  • Had GP exclusive 1st and 3rd party games not available on the store, or exclusive for a limited time
  • Not released games on Steam or other storefronts
  • Not purchased Activision where they were obliged to keep most games multiplatform
Its kinda been mostly about maximising Game Pass while still having the existing sources of revenue which makes sense due to the reasons Ybarra said.
Of course the recent events of games going to rival platforms and closing down studios further dilutes the potential of GP.

WardFail

Banned
Jul 30, 2022
United States

Yikes, I suppose getting a 20% discount on candy crush bucks or whatever the fuck they're called could be feasible but this sounds like another thing MS is going to kill off in a few years.

I know the slow and long arm of regulatory agencies move slowly but this seems like a short-sighted attempt to get money now and I don't think the metrics are going to justify whatever resources they are going to spend on this. Even if this web portal introduces games, I don't think it's going to amount to more than a barnacle on whale nuts.

Apple and Google both shuffle in around 2 billion users to their app stores a month. "Meet the players where they are" my ass.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yikes, I suppose getting a 20% discount on candy crush bucks or whatever the fuck they're called could be feasible but this sounds like another thing MS is going to kill off in a few years.

I know the slow and long arm of regulatory agencies move slowly but this seems like a short-sighted attempt to get money now and I don't think the metrics are going to justify whatever resources they are going to spend on this. Even if this web portal introduces games, I don't think it's going to amount to more than a barnacle on whale nuts.

Apple and Google both shuffle in around 2 billion users to their app stores a month. "Meet the players where they are" my ass.
It's not like they're pulling candy crush or Minecraft off the stores. They're still meeting players there.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020

To be fair it's not like they're removing games from the Apple and Google stores, just providing a way for players to get things in those games cheaper and building up from there. I agree that it's probably not going to amount to much, but that's also probably why MS is starting small at first, before even bringing up the regulatory hurdles of a full store

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
we're 100% not going to ask that question - the focus is on the game

Good, thanks.
Just to be clear, I definitely wasn't asking for it. I was just worried that this might be a case where it's impossible to avoid mentioning it. But good if it stays focused on the game and the team.
Keep up the good work!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
we're 100% not going to ask that question - the focus is on the game
If i may request/suggest that you ask about unreal engine 5/technology (these may be things you already thought about)

1) How have the features like lumen and nanite and metahuman aided in the production of HB2 over HB1?

2) Has The Coalition / Xbox Games Technology Group helped in any way (collaboration across studios)

3) unreal engine 5.4 just brought a lot of optimizations targeted towards console performance (check DFs video today on it). Starfield just got 40/60 fps modes. Is this something Ninja Theory is looking in to?

Thanks Parris 🙏

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I felt like a crazy with some many analysts, journalists, entertainers like the kinda funny people adopt the "why does it matter if your console has 0 exclusive games?" line. I don't know if they're dumb or pretending to be dumb to pretend that such a console is a thing people want. I guess it gives you an easy way to bash people about how they "worship plastic" or whatever.
Because they own every console + a decent gaming PC. A game being Multiplatform or not doesn't effect them, a platform failing and going away doesn't effect them.

Lui

Sep 22, 2022
wat about the titan penis lighting with the nanite andlumen on that aspect of the game
4x.webp

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
If i may request/suggest that you ask about unreal engine 5/technology (these may be things you already thought about)

1) How have the features like lumen and nanite and metahuman aided in the production of HB2 over HB1?

2) Has The Coalition / Xbox Games Technology Group helped in any way (collaboration across studios)

3) unreal engine 5.4 just brought a lot of optimizations targeted towards console performance (check DFs video today on it). Starfield just got 40/60 fps modes. Is this something Ninja Theory is looking in to?

Thanks Parris 🙏

Excellent questions to ask! I was just wondering about UE 5.4 and if they will upgrade to that at some point.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
i think when ms started with gp, they thought many third parties would be reluctant to launch games day 1 on it and that they would need to rely more on first party releases, leading to the acquisitions.
but now that we are years into the service, it turns out that's only really an issue for huge aaa titles, not for small to mid size games. chris dring also mentions this in his article, that instead of publishing mid budget games themselves, they can just do much cheaper gp deals.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
So, how are thread regulars feeling about their future with Xbox after a few days have passed?
At this point I have no trust in Xbox an it's leadership. I don't see a future in the brand. I will just continue to invest on my PC (Steam). This gen might be the last that I buy consoles and I've been buying every console since the PS1/64 gen.