Should there be a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 419 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 374 47.2%

• Total voters

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
So, how are thread regulars feeling about their future with Xbox after a few days have passed?
I will keep playing Xbox games, they are my favourite after all, and with that I'll keep my gamepass sub

Over the last like 10 years though I have slowly but steadily made PC my main platform so while before the Xbox would have been the platform I make sure I secure first I'll make sure I have a PS6 and Switch 2 and then maybe get an Xbox and it would purely be for the console gamepass library

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
So, how are thread regulars feeling about their future with Xbox after a few days have passed?
Not particularly confidant in its future. There's just too much uncertainty, they need to be more clear what's actually going on. But it also seems it's hard to take what leadership say as trustworthy.

IDK if I'll keep my gamepass sub, but I don't see myself spending much, if any, money in the foreseeable future on the platform.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
The last 2 years and 5 months of my life have been rough, I spent 10th plus months hospitalized due to Guillain Barré syndrome and I have been in physical and mental therapy ever since

I have been out of the loop for a while but I have a question please
Is it true that Xbox is dead and now it will be called Microsoft Gamiing?

Thanks for your time, may God bless you 💚

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
The last 2 years and 5 months of my life have been rough, I spent 10th plus months hospitalized due to Guillain Barré syndrome and I have been in physical and mental therapy ever since

no lmao its still xbox, they also teased new next gen console while ago for 2026, its general gaming community perception of the brand thats wane by multiplatform and studio closure news

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

Not a regular (in any gaming OT really), but already canceled Game Pass and Fallout 1st. Cleared my watchlist in the store. Just using it to play games I already own now, moved my purchasing to other platforms going forward. I'm out, which is sad bc most of my library by a long shot has been in the Xbox ecosystem for the last two/three gens.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Keeping Game Pass, just won't buy 3rd party stuff on the platform anymore. I did sell my secondary Xbox Series X I got for travel. Not abandoning it, just waiting out whatever this period is. Thanks to my ROG ally engaging with the ecosystem is easier on the go.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
It's crazy how fast we went from 'you literally get banned for talking about Xbox going third party' to that being what's being openly reported.

FilthyCasual

Aug 30, 2021

tl;dr Fuck it, we ball.

Dunno if I count as a regular, but I am pretty much where I was Monday, albeit sadder than I was on Monday because of the studio closures. I think Dring's article is on the money about how they're beholden to keeping investors happy. I am skeptical that what they're doing will fix that longterm, but who knows what tomorrow brings. I don't take the MP/studio closure/insert next terrible thing Xbox does personally, but it does sadden me. Especially when I see people's lives tossed on the sacrificial pyre of investor satisfaction. But that's an industry thing.

I do not have nor want a PC, so I'm not going down that road. GP is subbed for three years and will continue to be as long as the rewards program pays out as well as it has. I had assumed in 2020 when I started using it that eventually I'd start paying money for it, but that day has not arrived yet. Meanwhile I keep buying games that end up going on GP, so don't feel too bad for them. Hell, I keep buying games that go *off* of GP for various reasons.

I have a Switch and I got my first PS last fall, so I have choices. I prefer the Xbox environment, so I guess it'll continue to be my ride or die until one of us dies.

If there's one thing that's changed for me it's that the bloom is off the rose as far as my perception of Phil goes. You can call me foolish, but I've always thought he seemed different than a lot of industry execs. He seemed like he got it. Games and the industry seemed important to him, unlike some of the ghouls that haunt the gaming industry. Honestly, I still think he cares. But I think there are limits to what he can do, especially inside a huge company like Microsoft and if the suits say you gotta make cuts, the knives are going to come out.

Don't want to end on a down note, so I'll say that I am stoked for the Xbox games coming out this year, especially HB2, Avowed and Indy.

FilthyCasual

Aug 30, 2021

OMG, I hope you are doing better!

Tuxedo38

Apr 7, 2022

Overall, fine.

The Tango Gameworks closing was beyond stupid, but that doesn't negate my excitement about a lot of the upcoming games that I'll be able to play with Game Pass. I'm locked into this ecosystem through this generation and I'll see how they stack up over the next year or two.

It would be nice if Xbox didn't have so many unforced errors though.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017

I'm definitely not back in the honeymoon phase yet.

My "gaming career" is heavily tied to Xbox though so I will remain as long as there is a platform to remain on.

Stepping back I can see why cutting costs right now makes sense, but it does make me feel any better…

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Not particularly confidant in its future. There's just too much uncertainty, they need to be more clear what's actually going on. But it also seems it's hard to take what leadership say as trustworthy.

IDK if I'll keep my gamepass sub, but I don't see myself spending much, if any, money in the foreseeable future on the platform.

This is me. I'd been moving to PC after the multiplat announcements, and I don't see a reason to walk that back. I would be willing to keep my Game Pass sub all things considered, but I don't see the point in buying games on the Series X or PC Game Pass store.

Just to put it in perspective - Persona 3 Reload and Unicorn Overlord both have CEs that I'd ordinarily buy ASAP, but I'm not sure there's a point vs just getting the games on PC. I did preorder the Metaphor Re Fantazio CE but I'm not sure if I'll keep it. Persona is one of my favorite franchises and 13 Sentinels was one of my favorite games of last year...

Jul 19, 2020
I don't think I count as a "regular" given I mostly lurk, but pretty poor. I have 0 faith in the current leadership team between their public performance in their roles, the leaked/disclosed documents we've gotten from the CMA and FTC cases over ABK, and the recent rumours swirling around Xbox. Matt Booty getting promoted while their first party continues to have severe issues under the sixth year of his tenure is just one example of many for why I think things will not meaningfully improve anytime soon. My expectations for their next hardware revision are that rumours about them adopting some sort of ridiculous OEM plan are real, they'll continue to gut or shutdown studios under their banner as they seek to juice their profitability to justify the investment put into them by MS corporate to purchase ABK, and once hardware sales collapse next gen and their doomed (imo) mobile storefront plan flops like their phone line did we'll see GP subs collapse and the service itself will be severely cut back in various ways.

I'd love to be wrong and was still taking a "wait and see" approach until recent months despite all the negative signs but I don't see much reason to do so now unless they, at a minimum, end up confirming in definite terms their next gen plan is still a traditional console SKU and there's some turnover at the executive level a few years before it. I think my XSS may end up being my last Xbox hardware besides their controllers at this rate, I'm not interested in buying pseudo-prebuilt PCs with Xbox branding from Asus or Alienware or whatever.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox has been my primary platform since the OG but I've also been a multi-console gamer my entire life. I've owned every console of the current big 3 at launch from the Wii onward (didn't get PS3 at launch or it would be since the 360 onwards). The biggest change I could see in the future is a heavier investment in PC gaming. I was content to stick to Xbox as my primary even with plenty going multiplat since nothing changed for me as a gamer, but now, the water has been muddied and my trust in the vision is vastly lowered due to A. being unable to put faith in the vision as presented and B. the fact that the vision is unclear. Love it or hate it, Xbox has always done a good job presenting their vision and executing it (OG era was clear, "Dude Bro" era was clear, Kinect era was clear, TV, TV, TV era was clear, GamePass era was clear, this current era is not, at least not yet). The issue is now that, I have a hard time trusting what Xbox says anymore and I'm not sure what will rectify that… I understand all the decisions made and everything that has led to this, I'm not calling for Phil or Sarah's job (Matt tho…) but even if you give them all the benefit of the doubt again, I can't trust MS because the things that led to the axing of Tango, AA and the others are the current issues plaguing this industry and capitalism as a whole and we seem sooooo far off from any solution to those issues. I plan on saving up for an upgraded PC and seeing what the industry has in store for the next few years before deciding where exactly my money will be spent but right now it's either Xbox or Valve in a few years with PS and Nintendo remaining primarily exclusive machines.

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
Jez says he has heard Undead Labs is cooking with SoD3
Feels like Jez knows SoD3 is showing up at the showcase. He did tease it previously.
If they show Perfect Dark I hope they are 100% sure the game is coming out.
We've come to the point where if PD doesn't show up it will be worrisome. I think it would be very smart to give an update on all elusives.
What if perfect dark another cinematic trailer
Something like Fable last year if it shows up.

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like Jez knows SoD3 is showing up at the showcase. He did tease it previously.

We've come to the point where if PD doesn't show up it will be worrisome. I think it would be very smart to give an update on all elusives.

Something like Fable last year if it shows up.
I think they need full gameplay avowed type trailer or a 5 minute demonstration at this point. The fable angle ain't gonna cut it and playground earned a lot more grace by the people and the trailer was funny so lil nuggets of points there.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
there's definitely gonna be cloud only tier.
they could show ads during bootup.
and use that to reduce streaming costs so it can match pc gamepass pricing.

Last edited:

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
I think they need full gameplay avowed type trailer or a 5 minute demonstration at this point. The fable angle ain't gonna cut it and playground earned a lot more grace by the people and the trailer was funny so lil nuggets of points there.
A gameplay trailer like Avowed last year would be great. We'll see if it was actually on track for 'gameplay deep dive'.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
How would an ad-based tier even work? What are we gonna get ads in the middle of sessions?
Well, I would assume no one on here would be using it considering the visceral response to ads, but I would think before the play session.

I personally really don't have a problem with it if it lowers the barrier for more people to play. I bet it would be something to position at mobile first players? Dunno.

Jan 4, 2018
"I think today's news has further proven you can't trust anyone," one source states. "Any publicly traded corporation is, by definition, only concerned about profits, growth, and appeasing shareholders. Embracer is the worst of them since they're run by a bunch of f***-ups but even the richest company in the world, Microsoft, is not your friend, and will ruin lives to optimize the books. It doesn't matter how many podcasts Phil Spencer goes on to talk about the happy family of Xbox studios, it's only until its no longer convenient for them."

One source – when asked if they'd want to be acquired by Microsoft or Sony right now, even with the huge influx of cash that would bring - painted a clear picture.

"F**********ck no. Its just too clear that being acquired is a stepping stone on the path to having your studio shut down for no good reason other than to meet a giant corporation's fiscal quarter goals," the source, who wishes to remain anonymous, told VG247. "I guess if my only other option was to shut down anyway, we might as well get acquired to delay that a bit and line my pockets. But that's not the case right now."

www.vg247.com

"Being acquired is a stepping stone to having your studio shut down" Gaming founders and CEOs speak out on the current state of the industry

We speak to several video game CEOs about the dangers of acquisition, following Microsoft's gutting of Tango Gameworks, Arkane Austin, and more.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Oh dear, coming back from our dinner and it was crazillo quote night, it must be around 30 replies. I'll try to summarize some of the recurring points on how you see Xbox now tomorrow. Good night :)

Last edited: