Should there be a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 423 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 374 46.9%

• Total voters

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Worst case: FF7 doesn't come to Xbox until the full trilogy is complete.

Best case: Remake and Rebirth are ported over the next few years and then part 3 is day and date.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I fully expect Phil's next video message to have "TANGO of tears" from FFVII ost playing in the background.

*wink* *wink*

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Third party over the years was always going to happen imo. But a 80billion investment kinda fast tracked it

Lui

Sep 22, 2022
I still believe that by the time PS6 launches, Sony will have ported at least one non-MLB non-Bungie game to Xbox. Probably Helldivers 2 or Concord or something like that. I know it's not a popular view here but I really do think it's the direction the industry is going and Sony is not immune to the trends.
Even then when that day comes that would basically just be what, ports to whatever the Nintendo system at the time is? I do agree that day and date PC ports are probably coming sooner rather than later for them. But an actual native Xbox port I can't see happening.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
All of the live service games are equally likely. There is no reason why it makes sense for Bungie and not for the other live service games. Hell, even Bungie has been struggling even being on all three platforms.

Bungie are not part of PlayStation Studios and can choose where to put their games. That's obvious.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
All of the live service games are equally likely. There is no reason why it makes sense for Bungie and not for the other live service games. Hell, even Bungie has been struggling even being on all three platforms.

We have had this conversation before. They are contractually obligated. That was part of the terms Bungie had when it came to being acquired. Now if PlayStation completely takes over the board as has been rumoured, that is a different story. But for now, much like MLB, they have to. Unless they have some sort of contract with Arrowhead to do it, they simply won't.

Even then when that day comes that would basically just be what, ports to whatever the Nintendo system at the time is? I do agree that day and date PC ports are probably coming sooner rather than later for them. But an actual native Xbox port I can't see happening.

I agree. I think there is even less chance now then say a year or two ago. Xbox console sakes are stagnating and will get worst before they get better. Sony will see this as an opportunity to gain some more market share. They aren't going to port anything they don't have to.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Bungie are not part of PlayStation Studios and can choose where to put their games. That's obvious.
If multiplatform becomes necessary to sustain their live services games once they hit their growth ceiling on PS and PC, I really do think Sony would port them over to Xbox (and Switch 2 if it can run them) just like Xbox did for Sea of Thieves. Live service games not growing or even losing players over time is a major problem as Bungie have shown and Sony will be aware of that.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
If multiplatform becomes necessary to sustain their live services games once they hit their growth ceiling on PS and PC, I really do think Sony would port them over to Xbox (and Switch 2 if it can run them) just like Xbox did for Sea of Thieves. Live service games not growing or even losing players over time is a major problem as Bungie have shown and Sony will be aware of that.

You are conflating contractual obligations with free choice. They are not the same thing.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I still believe that by the time PS6 launches, Sony will have ported at least one non-MLB non-Bungie game to Xbox. Probably Helldivers 2 or Concord or something like that. I know it's not a popular view here but I really do think it's the direction the industry is going and Sony is not immune to the trends.
Can't really see that happening with the current trajectory. The Series install base would need to be much bigger for it to really make sense and the sales are only slowing down.

Imo if Sony is going to other consoles, it's going to be on Switch 2 which will without a doubt have a big install base and also isn't as much a direct competitor to PS5 as Series X.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
You are conflating contractual obligations with free choice. They are not the same thing.
My argument is not about Bungie being an exception or not. I know they are, contractually. My argument is that if Bungie are struggling to make their huge live service game work longterm on all three platforms, Sony will struggle longterm on only two platforms, especially for games which don't hit as big as Helldivers 2. They will see the data from Destiny and Helldivers and even from Sea of Thieves and come to the conclusion that more players is always necessary to sustain live service games longterm, and once they stop growing on PS and PC, new platforms become the only avenue for growth.

Anyway, I knew it was an unpopular view so I'll leave it there. I just don't know how many seemingly unfathomable things need to happen in the games industry for people to realise that anything is possible, however unlikely it may seem.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Yes but Xbox is pivoting to being Multiplatform, even if SoT was apparently just a trial. PlayStation is not. Xbox has a much smaller install base as well; how much more copies would they sell that they couldn't on PlayStation and pc?

PlayStation and Xbox are in completely circumstances. PlayStation has a lot more they could do before they start porting more games over. Day one PC, yes. Switch 2? Maybe. Xbox is the last last resort. Xbox may not see PlayStation as their biggest rival, but you can be sure PlayStation sees Xbox as that. They won't do anything until they absolutely have to.

Come on this is PlayStation. They are loving this Xbox schism right now. They will do everything they can to take advantage of it.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You sound like me! I always find negatives more interesting to talk about then positives. Every flaw I like to examine and scrutinise, because flaws themselves are interesting in their own ways. It annoys my girlfriend to no end when I point out the flaws in our relationship like it is a good thing. I also think it makes me very good at my job though.

I do disagree on Crackdown 3 though :P The 3rd most disappointing game ever. Xbox should be ashamed of themselves for wasting such potential.

I find myself similar to your and NDA-Man when its something I truly adore, I just turn into a gushing fangirl and im pretty unable to articulate *why* I love it, Citizen Sleeper, Unpacking, Chants of Sennaar, Short Hike and the like. Also things that have truly captured my imagination I rarely find the time to talk about since I'm you know, playing them.

Generally I find it a little affirming to discuss flaws with others, since I have dreadful taste in games and its nice to bounce of some others who are feeling disillusioned like I am, it so rarely happens :D

Gosh, Crackdown 3 though, SUCH a disappointment. I can't think of a game that has disappointed me more, even Starfield. I even had more fun playing Agents of Mayhem than CD3 :(

Went through all of yours answers how you feel about Xbox (55 in total!) but I don't think I really have a good way to present the results, as it was an open question. The recurring topics were sadness about Tango's closure, quite a few of you expressing doubts what to believe about MS strategy anymore, many said they are sticking to Xbox due to Game Pass (either riding it out or still emphasizing how good of a deal it is), going third party is an expectation and go/be more on PC is a plan or already the reality for some. It would be interesting to have a proper questionnaire on this topic, I think.

For me, it seemed that if they fuck with Game Pass, many here will be out; and it appears you guys want the promises on the announced games to be fulfilled, and there was definitely doubt and bitterness about this week in many answers.

Hey Crazillo, hope you're doing good!

A bit late to your question since I am utterly and unhealthily addicted to FO76 again,

I was never a lover of gamepass, I have years of GwG, PS+ and Steam to hack through if I am desperate for a palete cleanser. Frankly I have been put off by what (appears to me) the pivot to Xbox not being Xbox any more but the brand being *Gamepass*.. It may be great value to many but not to me I have 2 kids, a fraction of a thyroid and a bevvy of MH problems, I also love indie games, and want to see more of the ones I love so I am happy to buy them and not wait/expect for them to arrive on my sub.

For me my big "upset" is that they went all in on this, to the point where they took their eye off the ball of fostering teams and producing great content, buying up as much as they could to feed the giant pig machine that is gamepass. After all that they need to close down studios which are fullfilling that initial promise because its not enough. I'm not sure they can come back from it, and thats a shame I like having an xbox, I've owned every one (multiple in the case of 360 and BoneX) My daughter and I fixed my overheating XboneX over christmas, I have tons of controllers.

I want some fun games, I dont care about a sub, I would rather they just killed it, or redesigned it, I don't think its been of a benefit to Xbox or the industry.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Yes but Xbox is pivoting to being Multiplatform, even if SoT was apparently just a trial. PlayStation is not. Xbox has a much smaller install base as well; how much more copies would they sell that they couldn't on PlayStation and pc?

PlayStation and Xbox are in completely circumstances. PlayStation has a lot more they could do before they start porting more games over. Day one PC, yes. Switch 2? Maybe. Xbox is the last last resort. Xbox may not see PlayStation as their biggest rival, but you can be sure PlayStation sees Xbox as that. They won't do anything until they absolutely have to.
PlayStation is not pivoting YET. I acknowledge that it's unlikely their singleplayer games will come to Xbox but their multiplayer games are a different story. They already have a different policy for multiplayer games since they launch day one on PC. Xbox has a smaller install base but it's still like 30+ million consoles, and people on Xbox play a lot of live service games. Helldivers would do extremely well on Xbox because Xbox players love those kinds of games.

If they think porting their multiplayer games to Xbox is the best business decison to sustain the continued growth of their live service games, they will do it. They won't shoot themselves in the foot just because of platform wars. They're a business and live service games need as many players as possible.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
That if they don't hit certain sales/revenue targets the publishing rights would revert to Disney. It's been a little while since I read it, but that was the gist.

In that case I could see Sony wanting to make that decision on their own if they thought it was the only way hit those required targets. Though with Spider-Man, I really don't think that would be an issue anyway since they've so far been critically acclaimed projects and big sellers. Don't see that changing with Spider-Man 3. Though their profit margins would probably be even slimmer as dev costs keep going up.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
In that case I could see Sony wanting to make that decision on their own if they thought it was the only way hit those required targets. Though with Spider-Man, I really don't think that would be an issue anyway since they've so far been critically acclaimed projects and big sellers. Don't see that changing with Spider-Man 3.
I think the only question mark here would be if costs started to butt up against revenue, to an even greater extent than Spider-Man 2. Sales by themselves are obviously very high but if the costs continue rising then it might shift the equation. Who knows though.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
People understand that 'anything is possible' they just don't base their assumptions so readily on the most unlikely outcome being the one that happens.

This is just a rehash of when a group of people on here were adamant that Sony had to adopt a Game Pass style system or they'd be left in the dust.

The added irony that it's people who were skeptical of Xbox's multi-platform releases now certain that Sony will do it is not lost on me either.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I think the only question mark here would be if costs started to butt up against revenue, to an even greater extent than Spider-Man 2. Sales by themselves are obviously very high but if the costs continue rising then it might shift the equation. Who knows though.

I literally just edited my post to reflect that haha Anything is possible in this current console climate and S-M 3 is so far away, so who knows what'll happen by the time it comes around.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
In that case I could see Sony wanting to make that decision on their own if they thought it was the only way hit those required targets. Though with Spider-Man, I really don't think that would be an issue anyway since they've so far been critically acclaimed projects and big sellers. Don't see that changing with Spider-Man 3. Though their profit margins would probably be even slimmer as dev costs keep going up.

Sony has other, probably more impactful, levers they can pull to gain more revenue before considering Xbox ports.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Sony has other, probably more impactful, levers they can pull to gain more revenue before considering Xbox ports.

Oh I don't disagree. I don't see them porting anything to Xbox ever unless they're forced to like with MLB The Show or they're completely desperate.

I just thought was funny because you're post popped up with the exact same thoughts right as I was editing it lol

Velgo

Dec 9, 2021
I feel live service games should be everywhere. Put Halo on PS and put Helldivers on Xbox. Honestly it doesn't hurt anyone

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Just got a GP app push notification about Hellblade 2. Says to pre-install now.
Is it still just the 5mb file, or the actual game?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
323mb for me. But yeah no full install yet.
Its abit later then usual. Wich makes sense with no disc version. No need for "gold"

Mcbel

Sep 6, 2023
Sony will not port (willfully) any games to Xbox, at least for this decade, it's just not worth the PR hit.

| TrusT |

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I want some fun games, I dont care about a sub, I would rather they just killed it, or redesigned it, I don't think its been of a benefit to Xbox or the industry.

Game Pass has enabled lots of gamers on various budgets an entry point into new modern videogames which was not previously there. They've changed the cost of entry and opened up more new experiences to people who would have had limited exposure thanks to being unable to afford to spend $40 to $70+ each time.

It's been of benefit to consumers and that's something that should always be lauded.

Fun games plus subscription service aren't mutually exclusive, There are probably over 500 games on Game Pass presently. If you can't find a fun experience there, the problem may not lie with the subscription service. Even three of the four games you mention enjoying, Unpacking, Citizen Sleeper and A Short Hike all launched on Game Pass as day one releases.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
PC day one for Sony is decently likely in a few years I feel, but Xbox ports of any type are a rather remote possibility imo.

Sony keeping their stuff while Xbox ports more and more is a dream come true for them. Even if the console market is contracting, the two consoles in the lead from Sony and Nintendo have a lot of scope to be the gods of a shrinking universe. Xbox will be burned the hardest by far.

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
PC day one for Sony is decently likely in a few years I feel, but Xbox ports of any type are a rather remote possibility imo.

Sony keeping their stuff while Xbox ports more and more is a dream come true for them. Even if the console market is contracting, the two consoles in the lead from Sony and Nintendo have a lot of scope to be the gods of a shrinking universe. Xbox will be burned the hardest by far.
Until dawn remaster/remake is already day one on PC, i think that's the first SP game they are doing, even TLOU part 1 was a bit later

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Well what a sad week, can't believe Tango and Arkane are gone!! i mean WTH, i just can't logically wrap my head around it??????
I'll be supporting the devs/studios even more now, their work needs to be celebrated.

DanDanderson

May 7, 2024
I know Sarah mentioned that further news on hardware wouldn't be shared until the holidays, but I wonder if we'll see any kind of teaser or hints during their showcase. Would be great to see, I think, whether a handheld or a mid-gen refresh, to show they're still pushing forward, with actions instead of words.

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
The_Return_of_the_King_Banner.jpg

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Game Pass has enabled lots of gamers on various budgets an entry point into new modern videogames which was not previously there. They've changed the cost of entry and opened up more new experiences to people who would have had limited exposure thanks to being unable to afford to spend $40 to $70+ each time.

It's been of benefit to consumers and that's something that should always be lauded.

Fun games plus subscription service aren't mutually exclusive, There are probably over 500 games on Game Pass presently. If you can't find a fun experience there, the problem may not lie with the subscription service. Even three of the four games you mention enjoying, Unpacking, Citizen Sleeper and A Short Hike all launched on Game Pass as day one releases.

I was speaking merely for myself which is the only way I can speak, I mention it is of great value to many but not me personally, not least because I can spiral into depression and not touch a console or game for weeks if not months, similarly I can have times where I hyper fixate on a single game for weeks. Both times getting zero value from gamepass.

Some customers, especially those on lower budgets have probably had great times thanks to it, and good for them. I do not bemoan that there are cheaper ways to allow people to experience gaming, as there always has been.

Also I didn't say that I can't find anything fun, I am not "the problem"

My rambley reply to crazillo was just my trying to explain my issues for myself and put those into words.

That it feels like concentrating on gamepass as they have, they have missed whats important for me, and it seems to not be sustainable (given this last weeks news), and that lack of sustainability is not of benefit to "the industry".
I want very much for it to be sustainable, I want to see xbox continue.