• Yes

Votes: 443 53.4%
  • No

Votes: 387 46.6%

• Total voters

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Hellblade 2 was the game announced with the Series X in 2019. So much has changed since then.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
While true and not to put too much of a damper here, but forecasts & projections have clearly changed since they were greenlit. Now that they've started console ports, they do have an avenue to re-balance ROI however.
Sure, I get that.

Still, as shortsighted as they were with Tango, I would really hope they aren't as shortsighed with Hellblade and South of Midnight, especially since they are bigger projects that HFR. I think it's feasible that Xbox sees more potential in them.

They have yet to layoff or close any of the 2018-2019 XGS studios, and if they do I will be even more angry and disappointed than I was about Tango and ArkAus.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I think there's something to be said for Hellblade 2, South of Midnight etc. being games that Xbox themselves greenlit and likely knew full well their prospects from the beginning of the process. Obviously that doesn't mean they can't change their mind on what games to greenlight going forward, but I'm optimistic that they will view Hellblade 2 and SoM as important stepping stones towards bigger projects for Ninja Theory and Compulsion (maybe even new franchises, who knows).
My main point was that the emergence and prevalence of forever games since those projects were greenlit might have changed some of the math behind the viability of future greenlights for similarly scoped projects.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I think them closing Tango is because they are "spread too thin/wide" as Matt Booty said.

Meaning, they are the only ones in Japan while everyone else in US/UK/EU.

Different culture, different time zone, lack of expertise in Japanese/Asian market which means MS (Matt Booty) aren't able to manage them.

Plus the focus on big IPs.

Perhaps it sounds ridiculous and sad but it's how I see it.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
My main point was that the emergence and prevalence of forever games since those projects were greenlit might have changed some of the math behind the viability of future greenlights for similarly scoped projects.
Forever games already existed in 2018, though. But yeah, I don't disagree about your core point. Really rooting for these studios.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I think them closing Tango is because they are "spread too thin/wide" as Matt Booty said.

Different culture, different time zone, lack of expertise in Japanese/Asian market which means MS (Matt Booty) aren't able to manage them.

I think it's this and the obvious "they just shipped their game" wrong place wrong time. Spits in the face of their posturing about how they're ready to take Japan seriously though.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

It sounds ridiculous because they've been banging on about Japan for years, but it makes sense from their complete lack of worldwide (non-US/UK) expertise. Like, it's in a different time-zone/country; no shit, if you want to be a global publisher that's a given.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Forever games already existed in 2018, though. But yeah, I don't disagree about your core point.
They weren't forever back then tho. They had just started their run and I think the assumption was that they would eventually fall off for other things like had happened for decades. But they ended up not being fads. Minecraft ended up not being unique. Now there are 5 or 6 games that won't go away taking up tons of playing hours.

And maybe that changes the calculus for what it means to be a success when in Game Pass.

EDIT: In a way, I think the vision for Game Pass was actually to be the forever game model before it was discovered that you can do it with just one game.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022

This isn't a good excuse, they are always talking about Japan. If you want to be a global platform you make it work.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Clippy i imagine the reason you said FFVII Remake/Rebirth were coming is because the numbers seem so bad that Square didn't even mention Rebirth during it's fiscal year report lol
lol, yeah. When I saw that Rebirth under 2 million and in money-losing territory, I knew the writing was on the wall. Was inevitable either way, I'm sure, but that was beyond my most dire expectations.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's this and the obvious "they just shipped their game" wrong place wrong time. Spits in the face of their posturing about how they're ready to take Japan seriously though.

It sounds ridiculous because they've been banging on about Japan for years, but it makes sense from their complete lack of worldwide (non-US/UK) expertise. Like, it's in a different time-zone/country; no shit, if you want to be a global publisher that's a given.

The only way they will understand the market is by buying their way via an acquisition (I know folks hate this word now) especially with a big moneymaker like Mihoyo (Genshin) and letting them just do their thing.

This isn't a good excuse, they are always talking about Japan. If you want to be a global platform you make it work.

And talk is cheap as we saw how they closed Tango.

As I said above, their idea of a global platform might be different than how we see it.

I wanted them to grow and cultivate Tango and slowly build up from there.

MS idea on the other hand is brute forcing their way via big acquisitions and/or publishing on all platforms.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

But why was Zenimax able to make it work but not Microsoft? Tango was acquired by Bethesda over ten years ago.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
But why was Zenimax able to make it work but not Microsoft? Tango was acquired by Bethesda over ten years ago.
Fewer cooks in the kitchen? idk

But also I imagine everything was not okay at ZeniMax given their willingness to sell in the first place (generally, not just in relation to Tango).

Obviously we'll never know but I do wonder if Mikami would have been able to fight for Tango if he was still there.

ShadowGldtr

Mar 26, 2024
UE5 looks amazing with what it can generate, especially with the slow trickle of screenshots for HB2.

Also, the next DOOM seems to be a good way to evaluate the strategy of day one on GamePass but the full $70 for multi platforms. Imagine it'll release pretty close to COD if it does come out this year though.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft really really don't understand the Asian market.

They missed out on Genshin.

They have yet to get a single gacha from someone other than MiHoyo like Arknights or Wuthering Waves which are the biggest $$$ over there.

Closed their only Japanese studio.

I could go on and on but everyone knows this anyway.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
The only way they will understand the market is by buying their way via an acquisition (I know folks hate this word now) especially with a big moneymaker like Mihoyo (Genshin) and letting them just do their thing.

And talk is cheap as we saw how they closed Tango.

As I said above, their idea of a global platform might be different than how we see it.

I wanted them to grow and cultivate Tango and slowly build up from there.

MS idea on the other hand is brute forcing their way via big acquisitions and/or publishing on all platforms.
I do not want them buying anything in Asia to be honest.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
UE5 looks amazing with what it can generate, especially with the slow trickle of screenshots for HB2.

Also, the next DOOM seems to be a good way to evaluate the strategy of day one on GamePass but the full $70 for multi platforms. Imagine it'll release pretty close to COD if it does come out this year though.
Zero chance DOOM is this year. I doubt it's even next year to be honest.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022

They have yet to get a single gacha from someone other than MiHoyo like Arknights or Wuthering Waves which are the biggest $$$ over there.

There is a Europe joke here but I will leave it alone.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I think we'll see quite the presence from them in June, starting with the FF games that left PS+ coming to Game Pass, Pixel Remaster ports (maybe also on Game Pass) and FF XVI.

Could also announce the two FF VIIR games, or have it so the releases are spaced out a bit so they come out during Switch 2 launch instead to both Xbox and Switch 2.

TGS should also have a big presence i suspect also.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
soon HB2!

GNZTSyJXEAEQite

meenseen84

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis

I also think it's because of it being in Japan. Yes, they wanted to expand in Japan but they may have encountered hurdles and then the video game industry has gone to shit and it's no longer the right time to expand anywhere. It sucks because I really liked Hi-Fi and thought a sequel could have been great, but business is business and we're not privy to all the info.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

But having Japanese games isn't and shouldn't really be for the Asian market. It's for the western market.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
But having Japanese games isn't and shouldn't really be for the Asian market. It's for the western market.

I also think it's because of it being in Japan. Yes, they wanted to expand in Japan but they may have encountered hurdles and then the video game industry has gone to shit and it's no longer the right time to expand anywhere. It sucks because I really liked Hi-Fi and thought a sequel could have been great, but business is business and we're not privy to all the info.

Agreed.

Which is why Microsoft will seek more partnership with Sega/Capcom and Square or a studio with mobile expertise like MiHoyo over having their own studio in Japan.

If they start buying studios again after complaining about how leadership can't handle having so many studios I'm gonna flip the fuck out.

Whole industry is slimming down but in 2~3 years they will go at it again no doubt.

Microsoft are already preparing for any regulatory hurdle by:

- multiplatform pivot
- mobile store (web only for now)
- opening up Xbox console to other storefronts (epic, Itch.io and possibly Steam)
- potentially lowering the 70/30 revenue cut
- Turning Xbox into a PC? Xbox fully 3rd party?

Not sure about their next hardware but doubt it's gonna be traditional Xbox hardware since sales aren't hot (console sales are all down but more so for Xbox).

Just my 2 cents. I've already blasted Xbox for closing Tango on Twitter but what more can I do.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
They have yet to get a single gacha from someone other than MiHoyo
This implies Xbox has a game from MiHoyo but that's not the case.
Also in a previous post you brought up MiHoyo when talking about the Japanese market but they're Chinese, with deep ties to the government even.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
This implies Xbox has a game from MiHoyo but that's not the case.
Also in a previous post you brought up MiHoyo when talking about the Japanese market but they're Chinese, with deep ties to the government even.

Bad wording on my part here. Meant other studios with similar games like MiHoyo.

Yes, I know they are Chinese. My point is that Microsoft doesn't understand the Asian market at all.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Bad wording on my part here. Meant other studios with similar games like MiHoyo.

Yes, I know they are Chinese. My point is that Microsoft doesn't understand the Asian market at all.
I see.

Well it's important to note that "Asian Market" is a lot bigger than Japan. They've been investing in PC Games Pass, xCloud and id@xbox in SEA which is an indicator of understanding the region.

Mobile gaming is huge there, some of the biggest games in the past 5 years that no one talks about in this forum are shooters for smartphones and they come from that region.

There's also India, which once again has a huge mobile market and demands an even bigger attention as the government usually demands their own local version of the game.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Agreed.

Which is why Microsoft will seek more partnership with Sega/Capcom and Square or a studio with mobile expertise like MiHoyo over having their own studio in Japan.

Whole industry is slimming down but in 2~3 years they will go at it again no doubt.

Microsoft are already preparing for any regulatory hurdle by:

- multiplatform pivot
- mobile store (web only for now)
- opening up Xbox console to other storefronts (epic, Itch.io and possibly Steam)
- potentially lowering the 70/30 revenue cut
- Turning Xbox into a PC? Xbox fully 3rd party?

Not sure about their next hardware but doubt it's gonna be traditional Xbox hardware since sales aren't hot (console sales are all down but more so for Xbox).

Just my 2 cents. I've already blasted Xbox for closing Tango on Twitter but what more can I do.

There is no way China lets MiHoyo be sold.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they don't cancel one of the XGSP projects because that often leads to the closure of an independent studio.

Mcbel

Sep 6, 2023
Agreed.

I seriously doubt they're getting exclusive games from third party publishers, whether it's from funding a game or straight up moneyhat. They all embraced multiplatform day one.