Which Developer_Direct title are you looking forward to the most?

• Ara: History Untold

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Avowed

Votes: 245 37.9%
  • Indiana Jones

Votes: 322 49.8%
  • Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II

Votes: 64 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
If you want to talk about Microsoft leaving the console business then feel free to do it elsewhere. This thread is about Microsoft's 1P studios. Any further derailment on this will be met with threadbans.

Oct 25, 2017
This community ain't gonna be happy until it's just straight up yay Xbox every post. Cuz sulli was a deadass Xbox fan and even he wasn't good apparently 🥴

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
He got permanently banned. Must have decided to delete his account after that for some reason.

Can't say I'll miss his posts (or the avatar lol), even if he was a staple of the community.
Well that's depressing. He never really seemed like much of a console warrior and that post in particular l don't really think is that bad especially when you consider that he was pretty active in the Xbox threads here

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
To hell with these boring numbers and letter designations. I demand we go back to the days of naming consoles after animals.

Gimme the Xbox Panther or the Xbox Tyrannosaurus. Folks will remember that weird shit.

I feel going with a 'cool' word would actually a be decent strategy and is legit way easier to remember/differentiate.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah I never interpreted their posts as trolling. Fully get why people in here didn't like reading them lol, but it always felt like they were coming from an honest place

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
This community ain't gonna be happy until it's just straight up yay Xbox every post. Cuz sulli was a deadass Xbox fan and even he wasn't good apparently 🥴
He wasn't banned from talking that shit in here tho. He was banned for going out into the wild and saying it. "This community" was more than accepting of his points of view imo. I think most in here engaged with them in good faith.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Idk what was the problem with that comment in particular either. About xbox finding their identity off console? That doesn't even explicitly mean like closing up shop and making no new hardware lmao.

Arguably xbox's identity today already IS "off console" bc the driving identity is game pass which is nigh universally accessible. Yes, consoles are a key player, but game pass and their overall ip/publishing/services is the identity and the brand. Idk. Odd. Whatever.

o7

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Having both a CEO & Head of Zenimax/Bethesda seems a little weird though, I wonder if they plan for Jamie to eventually leave or lead a new initiative down the line. Also, at this point they might as well drop the Zenimax branding altogether and standardize around "Bethesda".
Eh, not really, Jill Braff will be responsible for the studios while Jamie Leder is the CEO and responsible for everything else within Zenimax. It's no different than the roles of Phil Spencer and Matt Booty before they went on acquisition spree.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
He got permanently banned. Must have decided to delete his account after that for some reason.

Can't say I'll miss his posts (or the avatar lol), even if he was a staple of the community.
The post he got banned for isn't controversial because its what Phil thinks of Xbox as well.

Its the reason why they are trying to find their own lane to play in just like Nintendo.

In a perfect world, I'm sure Microsoft would love Xbox as a brand to live on every device with a screen and they offer gaming experiences that either run natively or through the cloud and be the exact same experience no matter what. They will continue to offer their mid tier option (consoles) and have their ecosystem partners cover mobile/handheld devices (Apple/Steam) and high end machines (NVIDIA).

The leak about their hybrid ML/DL console in 2028 from the FTC case is in line with this as well. Expect a lot of the compute (graphics/simulation) handled Azure side, which opens up compute intensive experiences to run on w/e device.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Eh, not really, Jill Braff will be responsible for the studios while Jamie Leder is the CEO and responsible for everything else within Zenimax. It's no different than the roles of Phil Spencer and Matt Booty before they went on acquisition spree.
Not really. Zenimax Publishing is under Microsoft Gaming Marketing now. He's basically only running the studios and live operations side it seems. And those live operations will prob move under the COO eventually as they are ongoing the migration to their shared services/infra.

Feel like Jamie's days are numbered but they won't want to replace him with a Microsoft head until the teams are more familiar or comfortable with Braff probably.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Idk what was the problem with that comment in particular either. About xbox finding their identity off console? That doesn't even explicitly mean like closing up shop and making no new hardware lmao.

Arguably xbox's identity today already IS "off console" bc the driving identity is game pass which is nigh universally accessible. Yes, consoles are a key player, but game pass and their overall ip/publishing/services is the identity and the brand. Idk. Odd. Whatever.

o7

I view Xbox in a similar way. Nintendo and PlayStation are console, Xbox I feel is more then that. You think Sony, you think PS5. You think Xbox, you think Game Pass, not Series S/X.

cwoody63

Dec 31, 2022
An upgradable Xbox branded PC with a custom OS called the xTower. I'd probably be the only one to buy it but I think it could be neat

Edit: Jez Cordan would also buy it

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Could be my memory failing me once again, but didn't this go kind of poorly for you a little while back on the forum? Tread carefully and make good choices on your next string of posts. 😊

If I've got you confused with someone else, please disregard.

No, that was me lmao. It wasn't anything nefarious, just ended up spamming both OT's with useless shit. Ain't doing that again!

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't want anyone banned because this should be a place for discussion, I thought his takes were FOMO trash. I am still not a fan of these threads that were mainly for Studios and Game Talk has become a hub for everything.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
What if Xbox took a Xbox One S All-Digital (XBOX ONE SAD) approach with being a fixed $ cheaper (MSRP) always, but for the S and the X to the tune of $200.

Drop MSRP to $450? S is now $250.

Drop MSRP to $399? S is now $199.

That would def move units IMO, especially if COD 2024 comes in next-gen only and can be bundled.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I think we are too quick to report people. There's been some people banned here who I was like, "really?" Reporting people should be used for bigoted stuff. There's an ignore button for the other stuff.

Especially Sullivan who wasn't a console warrior at all, if I recall he has an Xbox and not a PlayStation, he just had controversial thoughts on the direction Microsoft should take. He also encouraged them to acquire more, so he wasn't all "negative".

It's a bit rough to lose someone like him because he was an active articulate user who generated and contributed to discussion.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I dont think his opinions were that off. IMO, he was just advocating for Xbox to take plan B instead of trying for the console success.

Aug 23, 2018
I miss GING and his gifs more than Sullivan and his pseudo-trolling, if I'm being honest but still sad to lose a staple. If Solis and vixous get banned I'M OUT

Oct 12, 2020
Is it against the rules to ask who it was that got banned?

Brock Purdy's biggest fan.

edit: finally saw the post in question. Compared to the usual meticulousness in which the Xbox-console-business-is-doomed content was communicated, that particular past came across as a bit lazy. Maybe that's why that's the one that finally did it. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I miss GING and his gifs more than Sullivan and his pseudo-trolling, if I'm being honest but still sad to lose a staple. If Solis and vixous get banned I'M OUT

Why is he trolling? Because he has different views? To me trolling is people who are like, "Phil Spencer should be fired he sucks" and that's it, that's trolling. He had clear articulate ideas on what he wanted Microsoft to do that was just at odds with most of this thread. I don't see how that's trolling.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Is it against the rules to ask who it was that got banned?
Sullivan/Oso
giphy.gif

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Oh!! I disagreed with him a lot but agreed on a few things too. Never realized they were one in the same. That sucks.

Seen lots of folks get banned that I didn't think deserved it. I'm here for a few posters but not going to lie, this place can be a mood killer.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Sad to see him gone again, his views were honestly refreshing because aside from them being more in line with my own in more instances, they were very critical which I think is needed.

Like for example I think 2026 is a huge mistake and I hope it doesn't happen. Until the actual issues I think Xbox has with branding, content flow and prestige titles are addressed new hardware won't help. Take every year until 2028 to build back consumer confidence in the brand. Not to mention that the PS6 will have Zen6 and RDNA5/6 and Xbox would have Zen5 with RDNA5. That's a mistake imo. I'd also say abandoning the console would be the end for the brand. Xbox consoles are the cornerstone and without them Game Pass Ultimate would die. I think people overestimate how large PC engagement actually is in terms of their spending and loyalty to the brand. Game pass is an accessory to most PC gamers not the driver like Steam.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I don't know who needs to hear this if any one does. I made a post like this last year and think it deserves to be brought back up. It has nothing to do with gaming though so here goes.

This time of year can be hard for lots of people. Not everyone is in the best place mentally, the holidays can be rough and lonely. The last few years have been tough. I lost a family member just over a year ago and am struggling. I don't know the rest of you or your thoughts. I truly hope you are all well. If you are not, know that you aren't alone. It is easy to get wrapped up in the conversations that happen here and miss the fact that it's some one else on the other end with their own lives and problems. I hope that all of you are well and if you are not that you get the help you need. Please take care of yourselves.

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see him gone again, his views were honestly refreshing because aside from them being more in line with my own in more instances, they were very critical which I think is needed.

Like for example I think 2026 is a huge mistake and I hope it doesn't happen. Until the actual issues I think Xbox has with branding, content flow and prestige titles are addressed new hardware won't help. Take every year until 2028 to build back consumer confidence in the brand. Not to mention that the PS6 will have Zen6 and RDNA5/6 and Xbox would have Zen5 with RDNA5. That's a mistake imo. I'd also say abandoning the console would be the end for the brand. Xbox consoles are the cornerstone and without them Game Pass Ultimate would die. I think people overestimate how large PC engagement actually is in terms of their spending and loyalty to the brand. Game pass is an accessory to most PC gamers not the driver like Steam.
Dropping new hardware in 2026 is idiotic to me. Shit I still don't think Sony needs a Gahdamn pro next year

Montresor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those that love trailers:

The Hellblade II trailer is so beautiful. Everything from the awe-inspiring "Ninja Theory" title card (this dev is Microsoft's crown jewel, and I hope we'll call them Microsoft's Naughty Dog soon), to the breathtaking visuals, to the music, to the brief snippet of combat. I can't wait for this game.

youtu.be

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II – Official Trailer | The Game Awards 2023

In-game cinematics and gameplay captured by the team on Xbox Series X.The sequel to the award winning Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, Senua returns in a brutal...

Also, the Metaphor ReFantazio trailer gave me goosebumps. The game looks like a proper next-gen follow up to Persona 5. The visuals are so clean, crisp and stylish. I love it. I most of all love the great music and the title cards showing the studio employees' notable works. I want to see that one day from the Perfect Dark launch trailer. "Notable works: GTA, God of War, Last of Us, Spider-Man, Tomb Raider, etc."

youtu.be

Metaphor: ReFantazio — The Royal Tournament | Xbox Series X|S, Windows PC

Welcome one and all to the inauguration of the tournament for the throne! ⚔️The epic fantasy, Metaphor: ReFantazio, becomes a reality in Fall 2024! https://w...

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia

o7
I feel the same. Xbox is expanding more to PC with gamepads,(trying) with cloud, and they really want to push into mobile with their own App Store.

They're positioning Xbox as more of an ecosystem than just a console platform. Single account, achievements, friend list, subscription, saves, all across console/pc/mobile/cloud. If it works is another story but it seems to be what they're pushing for.

Oct 12, 2020
I don't know who needs to hear this if any one does. I made a post like this last year and think it deserves to be brought back up. It has nothing to do with gaming though so here goes.

This time of year can be hard for lots of people. Not everyone is in the best place mentally, the holidays can be rough and lonely. The last few years have been tough. I lost a family member just over a year ago and am struggling. I don't know the rest of you or your thoughts. I truly hope you are all well. If you are not, know that you aren't alone. It is easy to get wrapped up in the conversations that happen here and miss the fact that it's some one else on the other end with their own lives and problems. I hope that all of you are well and if you are not that you get the help you need. Please take care of yourselves.

Wise words….and words that definitely need to be shared. 🙏

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Great post!! Hope you feel better.

And I totally agree. I have never reported anyone, and I doubt I ever will. We are all people with our own issues, with our own shit, and some use this site to talk about a hobby they love and to just get distracted. I'm not going to take that from them because they have weird ass views ir say controversial takes or act in a semi aggressive manner. Every regular we lose in this thread just weakens the OT, and a lot of times it is over nothing that can just be ignored.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

One of the (potential) benefits of not having to align with the competition is they could release to align with specific advancements in their partners hardware roadmap. IF they did choose 2026, it's possible that it's because it's when they see a notable advancement from their vendor (AMD in this example).

Status
Not open for further replies.