• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like the OT title?

• Yes

Votes: 265 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 103 16.9%
  • It's not my first choice, but...

Votes: 88 14.4%
  • Stop being so elitist

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • What's with this poll, anyway?

Votes: 71 11.7%
  • [screaming]

Votes: 68 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Hokaidon or Kyushu might work as well, I feel like some players would be disappointed to not see any of the cities like Tokyo, Osaka, or Kyoto, but like I say, I'm not convinced Honshu can work until I see it.

Honestly wherever they take it I'm excited, if there's anything Playground can do its make a great Forza Horizon game. Literally the only racing games I play and a big part of it is their open worlds.
I feel one of reason they don't do Japan is current engine is not good enough for city area, have to wait for next-gen Forza tech(unless FH5 already using that and not a cross-gen game lol).

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
i did wonder why reviews and general consensus were so muted at the time
Because it wasn't very good until the Definitive Edition. Which is a bummer, if it launched the way it currently is, I think that game would have a big fanbase. But most people never gave it a second look after they improved it.

Yeah I loved Recore (played it last year) but anyone wondering why it's as little-known as it is should just go back and read the patch notes from Definitive Edition. The vanilla game sounds nearly unplayable.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I think IO Interactive's game is a new IP and is the dragon game that Klobrille and Jez were hinting at. IO has three projects in development, this is from their Barcelona studio announcement:
"Establishing IOI Barcelona is an integral part of IO Interactive's plans for the coming years. With more to come from the Hitman universe, developing and publishing the first James Bond origin story and a brand new IP in active development, the future for IO Interactive is as exciting as it has ever been."

I think their "brand new IP in active development" is their game in partnership with Xbox Game Publishing and is the dragon game new IP that both Jez and Klob have been teasing on Twitter.

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
I think IO Interactive's game is a new IP and is the dragon game that Klobrille and Jez were hinting at. IO has three projects in development, this is from their Barcelona studio announcement:
"Establishing IOI Barcelona is an integral part of IO Interactive's plans for the coming years. With more to come from the Hitman universe, developing and publishing the first James Bond origin story and a brand new IP in active development, the future for IO Interactive is as exciting as it has ever been."

I think their "brand new IP in active development" is their game in partnership with Xbox Game Publishing and is the dragon game new IP that both Jez and Klob have been teasing on Twitter.
It could be a Game of Thrones title?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
If they're working on a game with IOI Barcelona, then if nothing else we can assume it means the game is a LONG way off.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
How do you make a great game better? There are settings that Playground Games could try and make better, but the core game is solid and feature rich. Sometimes I also think that people are asking too much with the change formula thing, so much that it is not something that is seen in a lot of other games that launch in the third party space or other console exclusives.

The Resident Evil core gameplay is largely the same even as camera angle has changed, same things as Call of Duty. Assassins Creed added some dialogue options, but the core gameplay has really gone nowhere, Uncharted added a grappling hook for vertical depth in some situations, but the core gameplay has done nowhere.

Just make a game that plays great instead of making changes for changes sake. It is a racing game. Whether they appreciate it or not is not the issue. Gears 5 changed a lot in how you could tackle situations and the reviewers still churned up the line that it was the same old Gears.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How do you make a great game better? There are settings that Playground Games could try and make better, but the core game is solid and feature rich. Sometimes I also think that people are asking too much with the change formula thing, so much that it is not something that is seen in a lot of other games that launch in the third party space or other console exclusives.

The Resident Evil core gameplay is largely the same even as camera angle has changed, same things as Call of Duty. Assassins Creed added some dialogue options, but the core gameplay has really gone nowhere, Uncharted added a grappling hook for vertical depth in some situations, but the core gameplay has done nowhere.

Just make a game that plays great instead of making changes for changes sake. It is a racing game. Whether they appreciate it or not is not the issue. Gears 5 changed a lot in how you could tackle situations and the reviewers still churned up the line that it was the same old Gears.

Don't think many are asking Playground to change the "core gameplay". They still want it to be a semi-arcadey racer.

The big things I see asked for are better progression for the campaign and better multiplayer.

Basically shaking up the formula a bit. Just like how Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Assassins Creed Origins, Uncharted Lost Legacy, and more sequels shook up their respective games formula.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Just to show that there is no pleasing everyone, look at some of the changes that Halo makes to its formula and people are back to complaining that it is not classic Halo. Sometimes you make the best game that you can make. I am more interested today in what advances can be made on AI and physics because these went nowhere last generation on the back of what was considered a mobile CPU. In the case of RPG's we need to see a lot more complex scenarios.
Don't think many are asking Playground to change the "core gameplay". They still want it to be a semi-arcadey racer.

The big things I see asked for are better progression for the campaign and better multiplayer.

Basically shaking up the formula a bit. Just like how Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Assassins Creed Origins, Uncharted Lost Legacy, and more sequels shook up their respective games formula.
I have been in gaming long enough to know that there is nothing you can do that is going to be considered good enough. When you hit a huge gaming IP, your job is to iterate on what works so as to not mess it up. This is why you do not see those huge games veering too much from what is established. In the case of Modern Warfare, it was fun until people got tired of all the jumping and they then went back to boots on the ground setting.

Make the best game you can, and I agree that there are settings that they can make better.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the question Jez was asked in relation to acquisitions tho? I took it as IOI was on MS radar, not just a publishing deal

I may be stretching things a tad, but I do remember Jez saying that some of the games sound so ambitious that Microsoft may need to bring them in house to provide their full backing. It could be in relation to this.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Just to show that there is no pleasing everyone, look at some of the changes that Halo makes to its formula and people are back to complaining that it is not classic Halo.

The choices aren't "no changes/minor changes" and "any change is good!".

I don't think anyone suggested throwing out the "core game" of Forza Horizon, lol.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
In the case of Modern Warfare, it was fun until people got tired of all the jumping and they then went back to boots on the ground setting.

I think your thinking of Advanced or Infinite Warfare. I meant the recent MW which finally changed the engine, added various new gameplay mechanics (and Warzone), etc. It's still Call of Duty but it was basically a huge step forward for the franchise (tho some understandably hated mounting, doors, the new audio design, etc).

No one is asking for Forza Horizon to be become something else. They are just asking for some better features (campaign progression and MP specifically). Nothing wrong with that.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Just to show that there is no pleasing everyone, look at some of the changes that Halo makes to its formula and people are back to complaining that it is not classic Halo. Sometimes you make the best game that you can make. I am more interested today in what advances can be made on AI and physics because these went nowhere last generation on the back of what was considered a mobile CPU. In the case of RPG's we need to see a lot more complex scenarios.
I might throw a bunch of buzzwords but bare with me. Forza Motorsport has the drivatar technology where it tracks players' driving patterns to increase the variety of AI drivers and give the impression of racing against human opponents. I wonder if it could be extended to single player games in other genres, eg. imagine that Halo tracks your campaign playthrough and uploads it to a server, then deep learning algorithms analyze your playstyle and look for counterstrategies and in your next playthrough the AI will know your preferred tactics and you'll have to come up with something new else you get slaughtered.

You'd still get the option to play a traditional static campaign (to have a predictable, fine tuned challenge), or you could try to square against DL AI to make the experience more dynamic and interesting each time you play.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Forza Horizon would benefit from a better progression system. The feeling of personal accomplishment when I play FH is somewhat lacking--it plays great, it's fun, but the gameplay loop could be better. I hope Playground's new experience in making Fable, an RPG, would translate into a better progression system for FH.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Wasn't the question Jez was asked in relation to acquisitions tho? I took it as IOI was on MS radar, not just a publishing deal
From what I've gathered from interviews with Hakan, he has been very adamant in staying independent, even when offers came when their situation was much much worse than they are now.

Last edited:

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
If Microsoft did make a contrat with ioi and Avalanche, they did amazing. These two are amazing and they will make great games.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I really really hope we see some gameplay of Avowed in June. I know the teaser suggested we're a ways away but in my heart of hearts I'm hoping we get to play it sooner rather than later.

Just finished playing the crap out of PoE 2 and man what a ride that was.
poe.jpg

I had so much fun that I'm gonna go right a wrong by going back and 100% the original PoE. This time I'm making a Pale Elf Bleak Walker Paladin( Herald of Rymrgand come to bring oblivion to the Drywood) I'm ready to make all the wrong choices lol. I hope Avowed gives players as many options as the first 2 games did. I'll miss the deep CRPG elements that you just can't do in a skyrim like game but it's worth it to see Eora in all it's glory in a next gen setting. Plus the lore is so good that I think a main stream audience deserves to get into it too. If Avowed isn't showed at all this year I'll be heartbroken.

PoE2 might be the "Best game no one played" winner for last-gen. Truly an excellent game. Despite growing up playing CRPGs like Baldur's Gate 2, I have a hard time getting into them these days. I really enjoyed the bits I played of this game, though. I'm gonna try a turn-based play through on my XSX now that I see it's on Game Pass.

I'd rather have a simpler RPG system that is still highly integrated into the game's design. Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3 are the best examples I can think of for this. Very straightforward stats, but every quest you go they alter dialog and/or quest options. Plus they have easily identifiable impacts on general gameplay (crafting, repair, weapon damage, health, etc). Finally, both games stress player agency (for FO3, admittedly this is just in the side-quests).

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox has me hook line and sinker.

This BC, cross progression and shared ecosystem shit has finally hit me and I'm burning through BC games and my backlog like no tomorrow.

Playing more games since XSX launched than I have in like 2 years. Crazy shit.

W/ VRR and usually higher resolution, I'm 90% of the time going to buy Xbox copies of games too.

Kudos to MS, I can be positive again

Who are you and what have you done with VinFTW :D

I really really hope we see some gameplay of Avowed in June. I know the teaser suggested we're a ways away but in my heart of hearts I'm hoping we get to play it sooner rather than later.

Just finished playing the crap out of PoE 2 and man what a ride that was.
poe.jpg

I had so much fun that I'm gonna go right a wrong by going back and 100% the original PoE. This time I'm making a Pale Elf Bleak Walker Paladin( Herald of Rymrgand come to bring oblivion to the Drywood) I'm ready to make all the wrong choices lol. I hope Avowed gives players as many options as the first 2 games did. I'll miss the deep CRPG elements that you just can't do in a skyrim like game but it's worth it to see Eora in all it's glory in a next gen setting. Plus the lore is so good that I think a main stream audience deserves to get into it too. If Avowed isn't showed at all this year I'll be heartbroken.

I'm getting a laptop later this year for those mouse and keyboard games I'm missing out on. How hard was it to get all the achievements for PoE 2?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Should halo form a custom game based on social deception? Like trouble in terrorist town.
Why Halo?

I could see it for We Happy Few.
I could see it for Halo if it's like a turing test where you have to pretend to be a Smart AI (or conversely be a smart AI that tries to pass off as human, but you still have randomized hard coded restrictions on your personality).

But I don't know how I feel about a game where you're killing the innocents. It'd be seen as an Among Us clone, I fear. But maybe that's what people want. Iono.

Last edited:

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Why Halo?

I could see it for We Happy Few.
I could see it for Halo if it's like a turing test where you have to pretend to be a Smart AI (or conversely be a smart AI that tries to pass off as human, but you still have randomized hard coded restrictions on your personality).
I think it'd work great since forge would an unlimited amount of levels for it. I'm assuming it'd be easy to code this as a custom game mode since that's one of Halos main perks.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
New compulsion games hiring

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaeldavini/ Concept artist at Behaviours & WB Games MT join as Concept artist
https://www.linkedin.com/in/muhammad-a-74ba863b/ Technical director at Ubisoft join as Principal system programmer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/subin-chittattukara-41844415/ Lead Gameplay Animator at Rockstar games join as Senior Animator
Some really talented people joining Compulsion! Their last game had lots of personality and ideas but maybe lacked the kind of final touch that experience can bring. Really excited to see what they're up to, we often talk about Rare but I think Compulsion will also be one of Xbox's new IP factories moving forward.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I'm getting a laptop later this year for those mouse and keyboard games I'm missing out on. How hard was it to get all the achievements for PoE 2?
Not too hard, the most "difficult" aka time consuming for me was getting the faction story achievements. There are 4 factions and in the end you have to choose one similar to other rpgs. I got to the point of no return with all of them made a save and followed through on each one. Saved the one I actually wanted to do for last. Other than that a lot of them are story based or side quests/DLC (which is great, beast of winter is an excellent xpac) I think I played 70 hours total.

Edit: there isn't an achievement for playing in any particular difficulty though I played it on normal so technically you can 100% on story time difficulty. I don't recommend that since the combat is really fun and the game isn't that hard once you get the hang of it. Overall I'd say easier to 100% than the first game. That one had 2 conflicting achievements that require a second playthrough.

Last edited:

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
It's crazy to think that Narrative director will work on world building/writing of fable game for +5 years. Pretty sure this universe will have Netflix Series. It fit so well. It can be their "Harry Potter like".

I hope the game will set like Molyneux said, in the beginning of the guild of the heroes.

Interesting to see also, their Associate lead game designer is a former lead game designer at Frontiers developments (Planet zoo, Jurassic world evolution) I want to see great emphasis on Sandbox/simulation.

Logo_Reference_Comp_v2.png

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited to see what Compulsion comes up with

Hoping for a Bioshock esque game but didn't the hirings show a 3rd person game?

Jan 4, 2018

Jez also heard that the unknown typhoon game was "targetting a 2022 release originally" (around 02:11:00)

Last edited:

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
New compulsion games hiring

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaeldavini/ Concept artist at Behaviours & WB Games MT join as Concept artist
https://www.linkedin.com/in/muhammad-a-74ba863b/ Technical director at Ubisoft join as Principal system programmer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/subin-chittattukara-41844415/ Lead Gameplay Animator at Rockstar games join as Senior Animator
Compulsion Games went from starting We Happy Few with less than 20 devs to developing their current game with over 70 devs.

That will show.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Bethesda dont shown off their main titles years in advance. Fallout 4 and 76 follow this model, some rumours it was due last year and was delayed a year.

I dont see Halo affecting it. Imagine having Halo, Starfield and FH5 on game pass this holiday...

speaking about releases, I am eager to catch a Xbox series x for me but am waiting for a new game to justify the initial investment.
When you guys think the Next major exclusive releases will come?
it doesn't need to be the super AAA, but games like the gunk, the ascent, flight simulator, etc...
do you guys think we will have exclusives only in the holidays or games are going to arrive earlier?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I might throw a bunch of buzzwords but bare with me. Forza Motorsport has the drivatar technology where it tracks players' driving patterns to increase the variety of AI drivers and give the impression of racing against human opponents. I wonder if it could be extended to single player games in other genres, eg. imagine that Halo tracks your campaign playthrough and uploads it to a server, then deep learning algorithms analyze your playstyle and look for counterstrategies and in your next playthrough the AI will know your preferred tactics and you'll have to come up with something new else you get slaughtered.

You'd still get the option to play a traditional static campaign (to have a predictable, fine tuned challenge), or you could try to square against DL AI to make the experience more dynamic and interesting each time you play.
This has to be one idea that Microsoft's studios have to be thinking about going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.