Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2019
I think buying small studios makes the most sense, they're much cheaper, you can get more diverse types of games, and it can be easy ways to break into an area (like to get another Japanese studio, or another mainland Europe studio, or some other area) and then build up the studio. I'm honestly surprised they haven't bought too many small studios given they seem perfect for adding content to Game Pass by just buying tons of smaller studios

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Asobo just makes sense, they're clearly really skilled developers they have some of their own IPs and it would be good to secure them.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
My guess is The Dark Pictures Anthology, with a possible Supermassive Games acquisition. Just a hunch.

Supermassive and their type of games makes sense for MS and Game Pass. They could split their games into smaller episodes to bring new content regularly. I'd love to see Neon Giant tho. The stuff that we've seen is some super incredible shit for their studio size. Those or a smaller japanese studio would be a welcome addition.

Feb 15, 2019
Does IO own Hitman? Just wondering if they're the acquisition whether that would be included. Either way they're clearly a talented studio and that would be a great get for Xbox if it happens

Alcander

Oct 29, 2017
Random, but I have been playing the disneyland game with my daughter and Asobo is behind it. Its not very good, haha. I guess they really turned things around with flight sim / a plague's tale?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Back to acquisition talk again?

ZgqJGwh2tLj5C.gif

Random, but I have been playing the disneyland game with my daughter and Asobo is behind it. Its not very good, haha. I guess they really turned things around with flight sim / a plague's tale?
My 3 year old loves that game ha! I'm guessing it was originally intended as a Kinect game though based on the simplistic gameplay. Ideal for that age though, and harmless.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Been looking forward to Lake for awhile, but their release date info is all over the place.
Google says December 2020 (lol)
The top of their page says coming to series X|S fall 2021
The steam link just below this says summer 2021
And just below that says spring 2021
🤷‍♂️

whitethorndigital.com

Lake — Whitethorn Games

It's 1986 - Meredith Weiss takes a break from her career in the big city to deliver mail in her hometown. What will she experience? It's up to you.

Feb 15, 2019
I definitely think Xbox has enough studios where I don't think they "need" any more, but as long as it's buying a studio that would massively benefit from an acquisition (which every acquisition so far and the rumored studios in this thread all fit this criteria) and not just buying like ea or something I'm happy with any acquisition. But it isn't going to be the highlight of any e3 anymore unless it's something like Sega that's absolutely game changing

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I think I remember Jez or someone else saying that some of the Global Publishing games are getting so sophisticated or high tech that MS was considering bringing the game development fully in-house and buying the studios, so I could definitely see one of the acquisitions being a team that's behind one of the Global Publishing games.

IOI and Asobo definitely seem like relatively strong candidates.

Selfishly I would love it if it were Asobo so I wouldn't have to buy Plague Tale 2 when that comes out but I digress

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
I definitely think Xbox has enough studios where I don't think they "need" any more, but as long as it's buying a studio that would massively benefit from an acquisition (which every acquisition so far and the rumored studios in this thread all fit this criteria) and not just buying like ea or something I'm happy with any acquisition. But it isn't going to be the highlight of any e3 anymore unless it's something like Sega that's absolutely game changing
I think, thinking along these lines is a bit strange in the context of what Microsoft is trying to do tbh.

Microsoft being in the services space with regards to gaming means that content is front and center, and as a result Microsoft is likely eyes wide open for acquisitions at all times, so when MS says "we don't have a set amount of studios in mind" they aren't lying because the entire point is to have a overwhelming amount of content to back up a service like gamepass.

I don't think there's an "off" switch to MS's buying sprees, and at this point I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least 1 acquisition every year.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Odds on more FPS boost games being announced at or around the conferences ?

or do you guys think MS wanted to get it out of their system by getting so many games done at once so people would stop asking about it for a while ...

Dhruvenator

Aug 29, 2019
It's obviously not adobo and IO - so we can end the conversation there. What's an example of a studio with interesting IP that isn't AAA? Image and Form came to mind but they recently integrated. Farm 51? GSC Gameworld? Studio MDHR?

Feb 15, 2019
I think, thinking along these lines is a bit strange in the context of what Microsoft is trying to do tbh.

Microsoft being in the services space with regards to gaming means that content is front and center, and as a result Microsoft is likely eyes wide open for acquisitions at all times, so when MS says "we don't have a set amount of studios in mind" they aren't lying because the entire point is to have a overwhelming amount of content to back up a service like gamepass.

I don't think there's an "off" switch to MS's buying sprees, and at this point I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least 1 acquisition every year.

I'm not saying they should stop or that they don't benefit from every acquisition, I'm more just saying at 23 studios if each one averaged 3--4 years per game (probably around the industry average) that would be between 5.75 and 7.66 first party games a year, which is more than enough to provide game pass with loads of content. Like I think people are underestimating how many games 23 studios will produce and how many first party games Xbox will have even without global publishing

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
I'm not saying they should stop or that they don't benefit from every acquisition, I'm more just saying at 23 studios if each one averaged 3--4 years per game (probably around the industry average) that would be between 5.75 and 7.66 first party games a year, which is more than enough to provide game pass with loads of content. Like I think people are underestimating how many games 23 studios will produce and how many first party games Xbox will have even without global publishing
that's fair, I just think the notion that they're still buying more despite that, speaks to their ambition and scale with the service as a whole, and in that context, XGS is likely going to always be expanding.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
If the IP rumors are true, I'm thinking it's something like...

A) They've purchased some IP created by one of their current studios when they were independent but is owned and unused by a publisher (Alpha Protocol, Enslaved, something like that)
B) They've purchased some long dormant IP that either only really had one game, hasn't had a notable game in ages, or had a rough go of it's last game with the intent to reboot it (Dead Rising, Enchanted Arms, Advent Rising, Jade Empire)*
C) They've acquired a studio that has worked on some cult classic / beloved IP in the past but never owned it and they purchased that IP from publishers (Say they bought White Owls and Deadly Premonition / D4, something like that)
D) They've acquired a studio / studio group that's known for developing a single IP or a handful of IP (Krome and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger for example)**

Whatever happens I don't think it'll be some earth shattering big deal, except for fans of specific IP or studios.

*To be clear I don't expect they've acquired any of those IP specifically, they were just examples. My metric may not be the same as everyone else's, but if it's that situation I don't think it'll be a big deal IP, maybe a big deal to fans, but not something that the average person would get excited about or maybe even recognize.

**I feel like if this is the situation, calling it an "IP Acquisition" or whatever would be weird, unless people who are in the know have only heard / seen evidence of the IP changing hands so they're being careful with the language, even while thinking "That's weird, why would Krome sell their only real IP? Maybe Xbox is acquiring them but I'm just hearing this out of order"

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
A lot of independent AAA studios don't own their IP's, like Insomniac's only large self owned IP was Sunset Overdrive.

Avalanche is owned by someone else, so they're ruled out.
Okay, Interesting to know.
What benefit is there to buy a small studio instead of the much less risky approach of funding a project by them? And to keep fostering that relationship with them if things go well
The benefit of not having to sign GP deals with them and to have full control. Just imagine they do a deal with a indie developer and they create the next success (next Rocket league or even dare I say Minecraft?), then Xbox doesn't need to "fear" someone else getting them.

Moon Studios is another prime example why acquisition make sense for publishers. They've developed the beloved Ori franchise and now decided to do a new IP with another publisher. Microsoft has now to stop doing Ori games, unless they somehow find another developer able to do the franchise justice.

Or let's take killer instinct. There are rumors that Xbox is struggling to find a dev for it. Not a problem if the studio doing KI was bought back in the day.

Odds on more FPS boost games being announced at or around the conferences ?

or do you guys think MS wanted to get it out of their system by getting so many games done at once so people would stop asking about it for a while ...
I could see BC being part of the E3. I just can't device whether I think FPS boost or resolution boost is more likely to show up. One on hand FPS boost already exist, but why announce it at E3 then? But in the other hand resolution boost isn't announced yet and who knows when it's coming. We just know DF have seen Gears in the past.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the IP rumors are true, I'm thinking it's something like...

A) They've purchased some IP created by one of their current studios when they were independent but is owned and unused by a publisher (Alpha Protocol, Enslaved, something like that)
B) They've purchased some long dormant IP that either only really had one game, hasn't had a notable game in ages, or had a rough go of it's last game with the intent to reboot it (Dead Rising, Enchanted Arms, Advent Rising, Jade Empire)*
C) They've acquired a studio that has worked on some cult classic / beloved IP in the past but never owned it and they purchased that IP from publishers (Say they bought White Owls and Deadly Premonition / D4, something like that)
D) They've acquired a studio / studio group that's known for developing a single IP or a handful of IP (Krome and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger for example)**

Whatever happens I don't think it'll be some earth shattering big deal, except for fans of specific IP or studios.

*To be clear I don't expect they've acquired any of those IP specifically, they were just examples. My metric may not be the same as everyone else's, but if it's that situation I don't think it'll be a big deal IP, maybe a big deal to fans, but not something that the average person would get excited about or maybe even recognize.

**I feel like if this is the situation, calling it an "IP Acquisition" or whatever would be weird, unless people who are in the know have only heard / seen evidence of the IP changing hands so they're being careful with the language, even while thinking "That's weird, why would Krome sell their only real IP? Maybe Xbox is acquiring them but I'm just hearing this out of order"
Reasonable speculation that I tend to agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.