• You're safe now

Votes: 51 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I don't think it is a racing bias, I just think not many people play them compared to other games. Especially since Game Awards is awarded by the media. So take for example a company like Easy Allies that has 8 people. Out of those 8 people, you would be lucky if two or three of them spent a huge amount of time with the game other then checking it out (Daniel Bloodworth is a guarantee, maybe a couple of the others.) Yet all of them played Metroid Dread, all of them played Ratchet and Clank, etc etc. Now apply that to all companies. Heck,I haven't touched a racing game since... the original Carmagaddeon I think? Its why visual novels never win, why sports games never win. Its just limited appeal.

Game of the Year awards is ultimately a popularity contest. And racing games have limited popularity.
Easy racing games like FH are plenty popular--FH4 have been played by over 20 million players--it's just casual fun for most people and they don't take them seriously, something to play for a few minutes between "serious" games. Racing/sports games as a whole are considered dudebro/too casual to deserve the title of GOTY, no matter how highly rated.

The fact that not all people want to play a racing game is part of the racing game bias. They don't see them as a must-play, because "it's just a racing game." The bias against certain genres is definitely there.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
I don't think it is a racing bias, I just think not many people play them compared to other games. Especially since Game Awards is awarded by the media. So take for example a company like Easy Allies that has 8 people. Out of those 8 people, you would be lucky if two or three of them spent a huge amount of time with the game other then checking it out (Daniel Bloodworth is a guarantee, maybe a couple of the others.) Yet all of them played Metroid Dread, all of them played Ratchet and Clank, etc etc. Now apply that to all companies. Heck,I haven't touched a racing game since... the original Carmagaddeon I think? Its why visual novels never win, why sports games never win. Its just limited appeal.

Game of the Year awards is ultimately a popularity contest. And racing games have limited popularity.

Yes, Horizon 5 cant hope to compete with the popularity of Metroid Dread.

ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020
Yeah I hit post too early. Was talking about Game Pass.

Grubb has mentioned on his podcast that MS allotted a lot of money for Game Pass acqusitions that still hasnt been spent. With TW: Warhammer today being a big get, it'll be fun to see what Xbox goes after for early next year.

They could've gone after Elden Ring and just let the hell break loose

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
They could've gone after Elden Ring and just let the hell break loose

I think some games are resistant to deals. Sekiro is still expensive. Dark Souls games aren't on Game Pass yet.

And that's ok! You can't get everything.

I do expect FF7R hitting GP though but if GeForce leaks is real, Sony got another year outta the Yuffie deal? Bummer if true.

BobSaac2

Jan 6, 2021
Why did Fortnite not win GotY then?
Not sure if it's what he meant, but when he says popularity, it's probably popularity among reviewers and journalists. Which is unfortunately real.

There is a big genre/setting bias when it comes to GOTY contenders. Hell, even individual game reviews you can see it. I've given up caring about reviews and GOTY awards.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
For a E3 showcase, you at least know that fans are watching. TGA is a general show.
I think this fact is the reason TGA is even better. You just reach more potentially new consumers than which a anniversary show.
If its an amazing trailer, the word will get out regardless
Yes, people would spread the word. But that's only half the story imo. Let's compare the viewership numbers shall we.

Hellblade 2 Trailer~11 million views
Xbox & Bethesda E3> 3,7 million
Xbox Show Extended< 1 million
The Game Awards83 million
Keep in mind I added a view YT channels numbers to be more accurate. I didn't check twitch though. But the point is that TGA is just bigger by a very wide margin.

Trailers are good and well. But TGA just hits different as I've pointed out before. I think one of the reasons Hellblade 2 has so many views is that it was shown at TGA and afterwards some consumers wanted to see the trailer in 4K.

Obviously that's just guess work, but I don't think a anniversary event will have more than 1 million views, because it's not a E3 showcase and "low key" (for the lack of a much better word) events like Xbox Showcase extended had very limited reach. I'd also argue those watching the anniversary event will be mostly already GP subscribers or at least 99% of them Xbox fans.

As you rightfully said consumers will spread the word. But what if 80 million instead of 1 million spread the word? Of course that's unrealistic, because not everyone of those 80 million viewers will care about the game or Xbox. But there is a higher chance more people spread the word and the best thing is spreading the word will become less important. After all 80 million already saw the trailer and know about the game.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Not sure if it's what he meant, but when he says popularity, it's probably popularity among reviewers and journalists. Which is unfortunately real.

There is a big genre/setting bias when it comes to GOTY contenders. Hell, even individual game reviews you can see it. I've given up caring about reviews and GOTY awards.

Sorry you are right, it is reviewers, I should have clarified that in my original post, I am pretty bad at explaining myself sometimes.

I think the bias does exist, just not against racing, but more for open ended games. Games that don't have a defined end. There is also a huge focus on storyline. Whether that is right or wrong, that is what I meant by my original post. I think reviewers will play games like Forza and fortnite and whatnot casually, but they aren't going to vote for something they play casually.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I don't disagree with the spirit of this comment, but I'd amend it to say:

"...racing games have limited popularity amongst those in mainstream gaming news media."

Forza Horizon is likely a more popular title than many of the games that have been nominated and won GOTY in years past - it is just that the games media is very much slanted to a particular type and genre of video game, particularly when it comes to ballots cast for various awards.

But this is also the case for many other types of games - first person shooters, multiplayer titles, sports games, among others are often left out of the conversation when it comes to GOTY in lieu of single player narrative focused action adventure games (the type of third person AAA games we have seen debated about so much in this OT lol.)

Why that is exactly, I am not entirely sure. I'd wager a guess that it is due to the backgrounds of the types of people who have gone into games journalism over the last two decades. Many of these folks grew up on games like Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid, etc - and I think it has skewed the discourse in favor of a particular type of game.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree with the spirit of this comment, but I'd amend it to say:

"...racing games have limited popularity amongst those in mainstream gaming news media."

Forza Horizon is likely a more popular title than many of the games that have been nominated and won GOTY in years past - it is just that the games media is very much slanted to a particular type and genre of video game, particularly when it comes to ballots cast for various awards.

But this is also the case for many other types of games - first person shooters, multiplayer titles, sports games, among others are often left out of the conversation when it comes to GOTY in lieu of single player narrative focused action adventure games (the type of third person AAA games we have seen debated about so much in this OT lol.)

Why that is exactly, I am not entirely sure. I'd wager a guess that it is due to the backgrounds of the types of people who have gone into games journalism over the last two decades. Many of these folks grew up on games like Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid, etc - and I think it has skewed the discourse in favor of a particular type of game.

To add to this, people get attached to game characters and their stories. Imo it's not the genre or camera view, and more the characters.

Mario, Alloy, Cloud, Spider-Man, Samus. People love them and it's an area where MS is lacking. Don't remember the last time MS made an iconic character...

Ori? Honestly don't know.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
So hilarious.

Like really, maybe that's just how they feel? They probably aren't doing it to annoy you. No one is naming you here or trying to silence you either.

Xbox community is going to keep getting bigger here and might be better to accept that folks have differing opinions. This just can't be a place where you're only allowed a collective cheer.
Voicing your opinions is perfectly fine, but there comes a point where some people are negative just for the sake of being negative and it's ultimately to their own detriment.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
I think this fact is the reason TGA is even better. You just reach more potentially new consumers than which a anniversary show.

Yes, people would spread the word. But that's only half the story imo. Let's compare the viewership numbers shall we.

Hellblade 2 Trailer~11 million views
Xbox & Bethesda E3> 3,7 million
Xbox Show Extended< 1 million
The Game Awards83 million
Keep in mind I added a view YT channels numbers to be more accurate. I didn't check twitch though. But the point is that TGA is just bigger by a very wide margin.

Trailers are good and well. But TGA just hits different as I've pointed out before. I think one of the reasons Hellblade 2 has so many views is that it was shown at TGA and afterwards some consumers wanted to see the trailer in 4K.

Obviously that's just guess work, but I don't think a anniversary event will have more than 1 million views, because it's not a E3 showcase and "low key" (for the lack of a much better word) events like Xbox Showcase extended had very limited reach. I'd also argue those watching the anniversary event will be mostly already GP subscribers or at least 99% of them Xbox fans.

As you rightfully said consumers will spread the word. But what if 80 million instead of 1 million spread the word? Of course that's unrealistic, because not everyone of those 80 million viewers will care about the game or Xbox. But there is a higher chance more people spread the word and the best thing is spreading the word will become less important. After all 80 million already saw the trailer and know about the game.

Senuas Saga announce trailer went over really well, no doubt. They wanted to have a hype trailer along with the Series X vid and it worked, it had Senua chanting and performing whats apparently a song from a(somewhat?) famous band. But I dont know what continuing to show up at the TGAs accomplishes.

Whereas showing up at the Anniversary even where youre celebrating past and future with a cool trailer would be a great moment. If its a substantial trailer and looks amazing, this sequel to a game that didnt even originally come out on Xbox can now be positioned as a pillar of the future of Xbox.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Even if they can change their votes, I think the fact that the outlets had to send a preliminary voting response much earlier definitely mean FH5 isn't going to be part of the discussion. They all ain't going to take the time to change it for a "racing game". And I was absolutely sure it'd be nominated this year.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Wow, i didn't thought that TGA was this big ! Microsoft should really show something big this year on it.
The first gameplay of starfield at TGA should be something to consider ?!!!

I really hope they begin to do some marketing on it ! and they are going to show lost odyssey on 4k thanks to their ai ! ( and hope one day, i can play top spin on serie x....this is my most wanted bc compatibility game :( )

Jan 4, 2018
June 14, 2022

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/battletoads-art-book-dark-horse/

battletoads-full-image-art-book.jpg

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Wow, i didn't thought that TGA was this big ! Microsoft should really show something big this year on it.
Starfield would be cool, but I think something like Redfall is more likely. Simply because the game releases earlier. On the TGA topic... Yes the show is huge and growing very fast. 2018 had ~26 million, 2019 ~45 million and 2020 83 million.
Sorry you are right, it is reviewers, I should have clarified that in my original post, I am pretty bad at explaining myself sometimes.

I think the bias does exist, just not against racing, but more for open ended games. Games that don't have a defined end. There is also a huge focus on storyline. Whether that is right or wrong, that is what I meant by my original post. I think reviewers will play games like Forza and fortnite and whatnot casually, but they aren't going to vote for something they play casually.
Could absolutely be and I think other genres have a hard time getting nominees aswell.

Senuas Saga announce trailer went over really well, no doubt. They wanted to have a hype trailer along with the Series X vid and it worked, it had Senua chanting and performing whats apparently a song from a(somewhat?) famous band. But I dont know what continuing to show up at the TGAs accomplishes.

Whereas showing up at the Anniversary even where youre celebrating past and future with a cool trailer would be a great moment. If its a substantial trailer and looks amazing, this sequel to a game that didnt even originally come out on Xbox can now be positioned as a pillar of the future of Xbox.
I agree showing the game at the anniversary event would be cool moment for the fans of the franchise and Xbox. But I think from a marketing point of view TGA would make much more sense. A good looking and interesting gameplay demo watched by a extremely large audience could help spread the word about the game more than a emotional showing at a event with very limited reach.

The only reason I wouldn't show Hellblade at TGA, if I would work at Xbox, would be if I would like to show other games there. I'd imagine there is limited space, because other publishers want to show their games and the show has a time limit. Hellblade already got the "big push", so maybe give the TGA push towards Redfall, Forza Motorsport, Starfield or something else.

Last edited:

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
There's a chance for Starfield's first gameplay trailer at TGAs, but I'm not sure how big that chance is. BGS clearly doesn't intend to go silent about Starfield until E3--the approach they used for their past few games--but we'll have to wait and see. I think one of the big games releasing next year will be at TGAs, whether it's Starfield or Redfall. Redfall is releasing sooner, so its chances are probably bigger.

Yeah, I don't think showing Hellblade 2 at TGAs again will accomplish much---it'd only remind people that the game was at TGAs 2 years ago and isn't even releasing in 2022. I'd prefer for Xbox to show at TGAs either CGI trailers of unannounced games or first gameplay trailers of games releasing soon.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
I honestly think a lot of it is due to an old sense of validation - that games were inferior to movies and tv in terms of story, character and tone ( and they were and still are, if that's your only criteria) so the games that try to move the dial on those elements (the better-made narrative adventures) are therefore regarded more highly than those that don't - like driving games, sports sims, etc etc

It's just a hangover of insecurity in the games industry and you should ignore it

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Honestly a 90+ opencritic for Halo Infinite would be a way bigger win for Microsoft than an award at the keighleys.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Honestly a 90+ opencritic for Halo Infinite would be a way bigger win for Microsoft than an award at the keighleys.
That's most probably not going to happen ever again. People have too high expectation of what Halo needs to include to even be in the running, and the resources needed to deliver all that has skyrocketed.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I thought the flight was incredible but there's no way Halo gets over 90 MC considering it's launching without Co-Op and Forge.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020

Yeah, not gonna happen. Feels like people (including magazines and websites) are always expecting a ground-shaking experience that blows everything away. I don't know why but feels like Halo always has a higher wall to climb than other games.

In addition there was the "bad" reveal, the missing content (Coop, forge) and there are lots of people who would LOVE to see the game fail. In short: I think there are too many obstacles for Halo to be 90 plus.

Gimme 85 plus and a fantastic game and Halo should be totally fine.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, not gonna happen. Feels like people (including magazines and websites) are always expecting a ground-shaking experience that blows everything away. I don't know why but feels like Halo always has a higher wall to climb than other games.

In addition there was the "bad" reveal, the missing content (Coop, forge) and there are lots of people who would LOVE to see the game fail. In short: I think there are too many obstacles for Halo to be 90 plus.

Because ITS HALO!! Halo was the reason most of us jumped on Xbox 20 years ago. Halo was what represented being a Xbox gamer. The series will always have a higher wall to climb because that wall was built by Bungie.

Nov 1, 2017
All awards shows are an embarrassment regardless of the medium and maybe we should all treat it with the contempt and indifference it deserves. Bunch of people patting themselves on the back that their well funded and promoted games get a special shout out, just a load of bollocks. At least with things like the Oscars you occasionally have those moments where charismatic, wonderful people like Olivia Colman bring actual joy and a heartfelt sincerity to it in between all the people thanking God for blessing them with the ability to stand in front of a green screen looking conventionally attractive.

TGA's is a big advertising promotional event dressed up as something else and would actually be more enjoyable to watch if they streamed a version of that event that's literally just the trailers.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Because ITS HALO!! Halo was the reason most of us jumped on Xbox 20 years ago. Halo was what represented being a Xbox gamer. The series will always have a higher wall to climb because that wall was built by Bungie.

Yeah, you're right. And that's why I think that 90 plus is not happening. Such a shame, because the ingredients are there.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
The solution is to get Kojima to make his next game a late November release

Keighly will undoubtedly change the process then

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I thought the flight was incredible but there's no way Halo gets over 90 MC considering it's launching without Co-Op and Forge.

Co-op might hurt it with reviewers, but aside from the academic observations that Forge isn't present I doubt most game reviewers have ever used Forge, and thus are unlikely to place much personal weight on it's absence. I think the leaks about how in-depth it sounds like Forge is going to be may have also helped it, as it makes the delay seem more understandable.

Truth be told I'm a little confused why people are so convinced reviewers are going to be so unfair on Halo, considering there hasn't been a new one since 2015 and Halo 4 and 5 finished with average scores in the 80s despite being highly divisive within the Halo community itself.

I've seen some grousing that people expect too much content to be in a new Halo at launch versus other games of the same type, but that's a benchmark that has been set by previous Halo games - not reviewers. And Microsoft themselves made the call to remove MP from the value equation, while still charging what I assume will be full price for everything that isn't free-to-play.

I actually think the MP flights and the well-received new campaign trailer have likely sufficed to extinguish any chance of reviewers getting ready to pummel the game based on prejudiced perceptions from the delay and the bad showing last year - a tightrope I wasn't confident 343 would be able to walk a few months ago.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Gonna be tough with missing content like online coop at launch. And we still don't know the full scope of the campaign.
It would, but I just don't see it happening.
That's most probably not going to happen ever again. People have too high expectation of what Halo needs to include to even be in the running, and the resources needed to deliver all that has skyrocketed.

Basically what you guy are saying is that Halo/343i as a brand doesn't have the goodwill among the video game reviewers. Still, hopefully the game is judged for what's there and not what is missing. Like, The Last of Us 1 had a multiplayer mode, Part 2 did not and the game still did not get lambasted for it. Either way, if Halo is a great game that would get 90+ under a different name and gets praised by the community, it should lay the groundwork for the next game to be judged fairly.

I am hopeful about the game, what 343i did with the MCC over the past two years is amazing and unlike anything I've ever seen, I did not play the multiplayer flights but they got so much positive praise, I am fairly confident in 343i to ship a great game at this point.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Halo 5: Guardians

Peace has been devastated as colony worlds are unexpectedly attacked. What's more, when humanity's greatest hero goes missing, a new Spartan is assigned the task of hunting the Master Chief and solving a mystery that threatens the whole of the galaxy.

Halo 5 got 84 metacritic. The critics aren't really harsh on 343, 84 for Halo 5 isn't bad, don't you think?

Infinite can surely surpass that easily. I'm thinking 87 MC.

I think the difference nowadays is that the competition is fierce. Thankfully, both COD and Battlefield are kinda a mess.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you're right. And that's why I think that 90 plus is not happening. Such a shame, because the ingredients are there.

Halo has always had an uphill battle when when it comes to pleasing the masses too.
What I do know is, it will be an incredible game if the multiplayer is anything to go by.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Basically what you guy are saying is that Halo/343i as a brand doesn't have the goodwill among the video game reviewers. Still, hopefully the game is judged for what's there and not what is missing. Like, The Last of Us 1 had a multiplayer mode, Part 2 did not and the game still did not get lambasted for it. Either way, if Halo is a great game that would get 90+ under a different name and gets praised by the community, it should lay the groundwork for the next game to be judged fairly.
To be fair it's not the same situation with Tlou2. ND made a statement almost a year before release that the multiplayer portion has grown in ambition and will be released as a standalone game.

Every reviewer knew exactly what's included and reviewed the game based on that. Hard to complain about a missing multiplayer mode when it's never even going to come. Tlou2 just had enough high quality content without it to gain good scores. It's still extremely meaty for a linear action-adventure.

It's the same thing with Halo. As long as the version of Infinite that will be reviewed isn't lacking in quality content, I don't think an upcoming mode will really affect the score negatively. Like how do you even measure that? I think it could only come down to critique about game lacking in content in general, not about a specific mode.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
To be fair it's not the same situation with Tlou2. (...) It's the same thing with Halo.
That's what I'm saying, the game should judged for what it is and not what it could be in a hypothetical world.

Sequels shouldn't be expected to feature match past iterations, it would just make impossible to hit the reset button and would force developers under any circumstance to work on extending the previous game rather than making a new one.

Halo has always had an uphill battle when when it comes to pleasing the masses too.
What I do know is, it will be an incredible game if the multiplayer is anything to go by.
Halo sort of fell out of vogue shortly after Halo 3 came out, COD4 stole a lot of its thunder - its shorter time-to-kill was more appealing to many players, and the +10 and the whole progression system is a cancer that has sadly destroyed the FPS genre for me, but people got hooked on.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
This isn't the steampunk game is it? This is something else entirely.
There's only 1 game in development at InXile, IMO. The rumors of a second game in development are completely unfounded and started based on the "second RPG" tweet (the first RPG was Wasteland 3, the DLC for which they were still working on). InXile is very small still, I doubt they're making 2 new games.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely would not expect anything over 90. I think it'll land around 85-87. It's launching without a franchise staple mode (coop), without forge, and as we saw already with DF, the campaign will be divisive. MP will be highly reviewed pending maps and modes but still feels a little lame to not have a big new MP mode we all wanted when those clearly fake rumors rolled around.

doesn't mean Halo infinite won't be the best entry in a decade, we all put too much stock in MC/OC…

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Co-op might hurt it with reviewers, but aside from the academic observations that Forge isn't present I doubt most game reviewers have ever used Forge, and thus are unlikely to place much personal weight on it's absence. I think the leaks about how in-depth it sounds like Forge is going to be may have also helped it, as it makes the delay seem more understandable.

Truth be told I'm a little confused why people are so convinced reviewers are going to be so unfair on Halo, considering there hasn't been a new one since 2015 and Halo 4 and 5 finished with average scores in the 80s despite being highly divisive within the Halo community itself.

I've seen some grousing that people expect too much content to be in a new Halo at launch versus other games of the same type, but that's a benchmark that has been set by previous Halo games - not reviewers. And Microsoft themselves made the call to remove MP from the value equation, while still charging what I assume will be full price for everything that isn't free-to-play.

I actually think the MP flights and the well-received new campaign trailer have likely sufficed to extinguish any chance of reviewers getting ready to pummel the game based on prejudiced perceptions from the delay and the bad showing last year - a tightrope I wasn't confident 343 would be able to walk a few months ago.
I think Infinite will score a lot higher than Halo 5, but a 90+ MC score is incredibly difficult to achieve. I'm not suggesting the game will review badly; Psychonauts 2 reviewed extremely well, with glowing praise across the board, and still reached 89.

It's all a guess right now. We still don't know enough about how the campaign plays and feels across its duration to know where it's going to net-out. I would suggest that the overall metacritic will be influenced more by the campaign than the multiplayer, which seems to be the way with these things.

Whilst I agree that I don't think media will be recreating Rat's Nest in Forge, I think the simple fact that a feature otherwise present in Halo games since 2007 not being there will be an immediate mark-down on their sheet. Whether I agree with that is another thing, I just think that's how some reviewers' brains will work, especially if they are reviewing the game quickly and without much nuance.

Status
Not open for further replies.