• You're safe now

Votes: 51 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Wow. The disrespect. If racing game would be so easy to make why don't we have 300 GT or Forza Horizon?
It's not disrespect. Forza Horizon series is as close to perfect as a racing game gets.
But it's undeniable that racing games do have less systems to nail. They don't have to worry about things like the story, dialogue, and writing--things action games are judged on and things that are very subjective.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Woah, I'm not here for the Tamoor Hussain slander, either. I may not agree with his take on how big of a deal coop and forge missing are per se (and generally on a lot of topics in gaming, actually), but he's still pretty good as video game journalists go. I respect Tam's analyses because I know he knows the industry, has real sources, and takes time to try to understand what's happening. That doesn't mean I think he's always right (again, far from it), but I trust that he's Thought About It far more than I trust that Tim has Thought About It (not to say that Tim is stupid or uncritical or anything like that per se).

Well the first Horizon was already a take on the Ubisoft formula, if you liked it you're waiting for Forbidden West which should be more of the same but hopefully better, if you didn't like it you simply don't care for the sequel; the fearmongering would have zero effect there.

In general, video game journalists tend to trip over themselves in order to show how worried or concerned they are about upcoming games and how skeptical they are about every piece of news brought forward by developers and publishers. Like the long-haired guy in Dimple's video produced an entirely incoherent and unintelligible bubble in an effort to show he's a high brow analyst of the gaming landscape.
Journalists are incentivized to create narratives and/or follow narratives. If you're not doing either, you're not gonna be doing very well. That can be jumping on negativity on a game. Or joining the positivity bandwagon. Or it can be bucking the trend and trying to develop a counter narrative. But there's a reason why "myth busting" or "fact checking" in media and especially games media just doesn't have an audience (unless it comes with a heaping helping of insults or finger pointing or anger).

And yea, Horizon feels like a known quantity, but I think the reason people aren't complaining about HZD and HFW being Ubi-like is because IMO there's nothing inherently wrong with being Ubi-like. The gameplay is totally fine, if you can seat it in an interesting setting with a compelling story. I think it's more that people are uncertain about Halo, afraid of change, and thus are reaching for things to kind of explain that subjective unease. And thus, a narrative is born. The flip side is that the narrative will fizzle away harmlessly if Halo comes out and people's uncertainty and fear are satisfactorily assuaged. (But then, some of them will tell us that OF COURSE Halo was always going to be successful because the richest company in the world paid billions for it and it's the 20th anniversary and people are just biased for Halo and blah blah blah loll).

Tiny Tina, I think, would be a smart get for GamePass. Borderlands games always sell better than Era thinks they will, which shows they're popular. The Tiny Tina DLC was excellent and popular. It's also a game that would be even better if a lot of friends played together, which makes it great for GP.
Yea, I think Tiny Tina would be a great dark horse Game Pass deal. I do expect it to get more attention over the next 5 months, though. I'm not sure what Embracer's and Gearbox's stance toward Game Pass is right now either. I think there's a chance. Wouldn't be surprised to see Midnight Sun end up on Game Pass in March, either. Marvel saw Game Pass really help Avengers for a bit. Midnight Sun isn't a big release. Games like Chimera Squad did ok, but that level of reception certainly wouldn't be enough for Marvel. Of course, we'll likely see more and I'd expect this game to be much larger and polished than Chimera Squad.. but still.

The wild plays for me would be in February - Saints Row reboot and KOF. Volition coming off a major failure in Agents of Mayhem and a middling response to SR4. Now with a major reboot coming that had a mixed initial response (but with a product they seem to believe in), having a lot of eyes and players giving it a chance could be exactly what they need to stand out in a crowded February going head to head against Elden Ring, which is looking to be yet another From juggernaut. (Plus, Xbox seems to have been rebuffed by From for marketing, so they may have both the capital and the desire to pick something else up instead.) Course.. maybe Volition just pushes the game? Who knows. This is yet another Embracer joint, via Deep Silver this time.

KOF would be wild and out of nowhere. But Xbox is not associated with fighting games right now and I've heard people complaining that fighters have been kinda neglected recently on GP. There's KI, Injustice 2, and DBFZ just recently. Having a major new fighting game launching onto the service would be a great signal to a really strong niche of players who have every reason to go with Sony this gen again, if MS doesn't make moves. We've seen KOF do reveals with Xbox a couple times already IIRC, and IMO if they don't make a play for Xbox players, many PlayStation fans will skip it in favor of H:FW the next day.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
But it's undeniable that racing games do have less systems to nail. They don't have to worry about things like the story, dialogue, and writing--things action games are judged on and things that are very subjective.
And those games don't have to worry about car physics, streaming a world at 200mph and much more... Your point? Making racing games is hard and I'd say nailing a RPG is just a different challenge than a racing game. But not necessarily easier or harder to nail.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I in the minority party that think Halo Infinite will be 80-84 metacritic and to be the title from Xbox with the lowest score?
I like Halo and I really wish it to be outstanding.
But I just do not have the high confidence to 343i like what I had to Playground games.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
If somebody genuinely said Halo Infinite would have a sub 70 MC then they don't belong in the gaming industry. Probably the most clueless take in a long time. Is there a possibility it won't do well? Fine, sure, but after the flights? Nope. Ridiculous. I swear Xbox games get held to a harder standard than other companies, and that's in no way taking away from the masterful work Nintendo and Sony does. Can't deny it though.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding Halo Infinite scoring above 90 on Metacritic: I'd say it is highly unlikely. Part of the problem is that the single player footage still looks good but not great to a lot of people (myself included). Nothing they've said about it sounds particularly special either. I suspect it will be a solid/fun time. Around 83-87 including the multi-player.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
And those games don't have to worry about car physics, streaming a world at 200mph and much more... Your point?
I'm not sure why you're being so defensive. All a racing game is supposed to nail is gameplay. No one judges it based on largely subjective things like the story not being emotionally gripping/deep enough/poor dialogue/writing. Those things are just not a factor for a racing game. It's undeniable. Forza Horizon can get 10/10s for nailng fun gameplay and beautiful world. For Fable, it won't be enough--it'll be also judged based on writing and story, etc.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
It's not disrespect. Forza Horizon series is as close to perfect as a racing game gets.
Do you think like that they just download a car physics and handling file from the internet or something?

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm not sure why you're being so defensive. All a racing game is supposed to nail is gameplay
I am defensive, because your takes don't make sense. Just in this post you said racing games only need to nail gameplay... How so? Graphics, sound design, ... matter. Just imagine FH5 would look like a 360 game. Do you think it would go anywhere near 92? Nope.

Then you go on saying nobody judges a racing game by subjective things... Of course everyone does! Physics are subjective, AI is subjective, soundtrack? Subjective. Setting? Subjective. And so on... .

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
The standards at which halo is held as a game has honestly been something to talk about. Even with ballooning game dev budgets halos supposed to have a full length campaign with a gripping story, fully co op campaign, engaging and cinematic story with top of the line graphics, a multiplayer mode with multiple different modes, a level creator, balance for tournaments and professional play. Meanwhile cod and battlefield can regularly not have a campaign or carry over so much shit from the last, tlou 2 got rid of its Announced multiplayer mode that they gonna try and sell u for $70 bucks later now and nobody batted a fucking eye. So where's the disconnect with halo where so much is expected

I agree with all of this and I'm part of the problem, because I certainly expected all of these things in the past and even in Halo Infinite. I thought it would be manageable in these now 6 years and with the additional help of several studios.

Having to deliver all these features is probably one of the reasons (if not the reason) as to why they decided to go with a platform for the next 10 years. Much more feasible to make all these features once in the 10 years rather than making them again again with traditional 3 year releases.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
For Fable, it won't be enough--it'll be also judged based on writing and story, etc.
RPG will be judged by their story of course. But Fable won't be judged by it's ultimately walking/driving physics, though. Racing games are. Different challenges.

Last edited:

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why you're being so defensive. All a racing game is supposed to nail is gameplay. No one judges it based on largely subjective things like the story not being emotionally gripping/deep enough/poor dialogue/writing. Those things are just not a factor for a racing game. It's undeniable. Forza Horizon can get 10/10s for nailng fun gameplay and beautiful world. For Fable, it won't be enough--it'll be also judged based on writing and story, etc.

You keep conflating what a judge likes and the actual technical achievement it takes to make a competent racing game. Even if that judge doesn't like racing games...it doesn't change the fact that racing games do in fact incorporate stories and cutscenes and scene composition and all that jazz. And the fact it's a racing game doesn't mean auto good. Plenty of bad ones exist.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft sounds like an interesting addition to GP except I own most of their games. So there is little bang for buck there for me.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
Am I in the minority party that think Halo Infinite will be 80-84 metacritic and to be the title from Xbox with the lowest score?
But I just do not have the high confidence to 343i like what I had to Playground games.

itsd entirely possible it will get low 80s. Though I find it unlikely given many of the misgivings of past games seem to be addressed. The thing they need to nail to get upper 80s is a good campaign. As in, its fun, of decent length, has decent writing and feels complete. Will they be able to do that? No idea, but the lead writer (I think is the lead writer) is from the Arkham games and those stories are great so Im optimistic

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
If somebody genuinely said Halo Infinite would have a sub 70 MC then they don't belong in the gaming industry. Probably the most clueless take in a long time. Is there a possibility it won't do well? Fine, sure, but after the flights? Nope. Ridiculous. I swear Xbox games get held to a harder standard than other companies, and that's in no way taking away from the masterful work Nintendo and Sony does. Can't deny it though.

Assume you are referring to my point about Tim. It's here, 1:24:00 into the prediction episode. While he is musing about it, he asks himself how Crackdown 3 scored, he looks it up and saw it got 60, then goes "yep, stick with my pick" 🙃

www.youtube.com

Predictions of Metacritic Scores in 2021 - Kinda Funny Gamescast Ep. 57

Go to http://purple.com/kindafunny10 and use promo code kindafunny10 to get 10% off any order of $200 or more!We start our 2021 Fantasy Games League! You can...

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I agree with all of this and I'm part of the problem, because I certainly expected all of these things in the past and even in Halo Infinite. I thought it would be manageable in these now 6 years and with the additional help of several studios.

Having to deliver all these features is probably one of the reasons (if not the reason) as to why they decided to go with a platform for the next 10 years. Much more feasible to make all these features once in the 10 years rather than making them again again with traditional 3 year releases.
Nah, the real reason is GamePass. That's why Forza will also be a platform too. Probably a bunch of the games from Microsoft (not all of them, of course) will also be like that, with more update content (events, DLC, seasonal updates, etc.). Like what GTAV, Fortnite, etc. do. I had a conversation with one MS dev once and they told me that GP was the reason they were taking that approach.

Oct 25, 2017

The lead writer of Fable is Anna Megill, one of the main responsible for the world and writing of CONTROL and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. Pretty sure the writing and story will be top notch.

Nah, the real reason is GamePass. That's why Forza will also be a platform too. Probably a bunch of the games from Microsoft (not all of them, of course) will also be like that, with more update content (events, DLC, seasonal updates, etc.). Like what GTAV, Fortnite, etc. do. I had a conversation with one MS dev once and they told me that GP was the reason they were taking that approach.

Nah, it is not. Halo would always be a platform going forward since it always had it's roots in live service stuff. The reason it is releasing with less stuff is development issues, not Game Pass either.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be thrilled to see Ubisoft added to GP as I don't think I've played any of their games in about a decade. I think an Assassin's Creed from 360 was the last game of theirs I played. Getting that massive catalog onto GP would be a megaton, IMO.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
The lead writer of Fable is Anna Megill, one of the main responsible for the world and writing of CONTROL and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. Pretty sure the writing and story will be top notch.

Nah, it is not. Halo would always be a platform going forward since it always had it's roots in live service stuff. The reason it is releasing with less stuff is development issues, not Game Pass either.

Well, that's what I was told from a MS game dev, so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Do you think like that they just download a car physics and handling file from the internet or something?
See my answer above. I'm not sure why what I said is controversial. Racing games, like sports games are judged based entirely on the gameplay/graphics. You nail them, and you're done. In action games you have to nail other systems like story/writing/dialogue, etc.

I am defensive, because your takes don't make sense. Just in this post you said racing games only need to nail gameplay... How so? Graphics, sound design, ... matter. Just imagine FH5 would look like a 360 game. Do you think it would go anywhere near 92? Nope.

Then you go on saying nobody judges a racing game by subjective things... Of course everyone does! Physics are subjective, AI is subjective, soundtrack? Subjective. Setting? Subjective. And so on... .
All those things you mentioned I consider part of gameplay. I already mentioned graphics, too, so I'm not sure why you're talking about it. Yes, some people may not like gameplay, but considering that Playground found a gold formula that the reviewers love and every new game is an evolution of the previous one, 90+ MC is no surprise for me, because the formula is near perfect already and something like poor writing/story can't bring the score down--because it's just not a factor.

It doesn't lessen Playground's achievement, but you have to admit that getting a 90+ for Forza Horizon is significantly easier for Playground than it will be to get 90+ for Fable. Action games are judged based on the factors Playground games have never been judged on. It's as simple as that. It's not an insult toward Forza Horizon. It's the reason why there haven't been 90+ MC action games this year.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I sorta agree with this. Having a good story makes a huge impression on people, and Forza Horizon just lacks that almost entirely. Im sure this is one of the reasons it gets snubbed at GOTY awards, even if it shouldnt.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I'm of the belief that Halo Infinite will get around an 84 - 87 metacritic, with the consensus being:

+ Excellent gameplay innovations that truly modernize the Halo sandbox for the next generation of consoles
+ - Multiplayer is an awesome playground of modes and experiences, albeit a bit surprisingly light on maps
- Campaign has its moments, dragged down by slightly bloated world and mission design with a narrative that is too heavy for Halo Infinite to be considered a full on spiritual reboot.
- Inconsistent visual presentation, with reviewers likely indicating they were expecting more out of the delay or something along those lines

Joo

May 25, 2018
Wow. The disrespect. If racing game would be so easy to make why don't we have 300 GT or Forza Horizon?
I have to disagree. FH5 is a magnificent game and a technical marvel, but it's still just a game and they're right. Racing games are not easy to make and that's not the point, but there's just less moving parts which you can fuck up. Compared to other genres, FH5 gets way bigger part of the review scores based on technical success.

If you don't have a story, you can't have a bad story. If you don't have actual characters, you can't have annoying and unrelatable MC, stupid sidekicks or bad voice acting that really matters in the game. If you don't have NPCs, those can't be uninteresting, have idiotic AI. If you don't have enemies, you don't need to have combat system or worry about enemy AI and awareness. If you don't need to animate humans or animals, you can't have unrealistic and unresponsive animation or uncanny facial animation. If you know that you can base the whole gameplay loop to driving a car, you don't necessarily need to invent new gameplay mechanics which eventually might not work or make all the other gameplay systems work together.

Of course racing games have these elements, but not as a major part of the game.
And those games don't have to worry about car physics, streaming a world at 200mph and much more... Your point?
It's not so cut and dried. Things moving very fast can also help with more drastic LoD changes, because you don't see them when you're moving fast. A human main character probably has way more polygons than a car and there's just tons more moving parts. It's just easier to animate a car or make shiny parts look good compared to something like skin. Physics simulation isn't exclusive to racing games.

Like say what you will but Forza Horizon game getting 90+ is way more likely than Fable getting similar scores, because these games just are reviewed on pretty different merits.
You're missing the point.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
I must have missed something, but where does it show Forza as a platform? Everything ive seen says the opposite

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The downplay is strong in this thread lately. Can xbox gamers be excited about a game without someone telling them it's no big deal? lol

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not. I understand that it is a completely genre altogether and that FH5 being great doesn't mean that Fable will be great. I am pretty sure, however, that the world building and story of the game will be interesting because of it's writing team, not that the game itself will be great. That's why i quoted the world/story part of this discussion. I have confidence in Playground, but i can understand the skepticism.

Well, that's what I was told from a MS game dev, so 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm sure you were.

I must have missed something, but where does it show Forza as a platform? Everything ive seen says the opposite

He probably means Motorsport.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Only Forza Horizon and Mario Kart can seem to hit 90's consistent. If it was so easy we would see many games do it. Yet games like Dirt 5 and NFS for a like decade cant seem to do it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I see we've reached the point where people are now downplaying the critical reception of FH5. Is this the new cycle for the XGS thread? A game reviews well but then it needs to be picked apart about why those reviews really don't count?

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
And those games don't have to worry about car physics, streaming a world at 200mph and much more... Your point? Making racing games is hard and I'd say nailing a RPG is just a different challenge than a racing game. But not necessarily easier or harder to nail.

Agree

Both genres are just as hard as each other for devs to make.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I have to disagree. FH5 is a magnificent game and a technical marvel, but it's still just a game and they're right. Racing games are not easy to make and that's not the point, but there's just less moving parts which you can fuck up. Compared to other genres, FH5 gets way bigger part of the review scores based on technical success.

If you don't have a story, you can't have a bad story. If you don't have actual characters, you can't have annoying and unrelatable MC, stupid sidekicks or bad voice acting that really matters in the game. If you don't have NPCs, those can't be uninteresting, have idiotic AI. If you don't have enemies, you don't need to have combat system or worry about enemy AI and awareness. If you don't need to animate humans or animals, you can't have unrealistic and unresponsive animation or uncanny facial animation. If you know that you can base the whole gameplay loop to driving a car, you don't necessarily need to invent new gameplay mechanics which eventually might not work or make all the other gameplay systems work together.

Of course racing games have these elements, but not as a major part of the game.

It's not so cut and dried. Things moving very fast can also help with more drastic LoD changes, because you don't see them when you're moving fast. A human main character probably has way more polygons than a car and there's just tons more moving parts. It's just easier to animate a car or make shiny parts look good compared to something like skin. Physics simulation isn't exclusive to racing games.

Like say what you will but Forza Horizon game getting 90+ is way more likely than Fable getting similar scores, because these games just are reviewed on pretty different merits.

Precisely. You explained what I meant much better than I did. For all those things to turn out great is very rare, and there are simply more systems for people/reviewers to be unhappy about in an action game.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I see we've reached the point where people are now downplaying the critical reception of FH5. Is this the new cycle for the XGS thread? A game reviews well but then it needs to be picked apart about why those reviews really don't count?
Seems like it yeah.
Remember Flight Sim wasnt really a "game" also

In Amber Clad

behind a perfect mask
Aug 26, 2018
London
Jeez, a lot of pages to catch up on overnight.

I know the thread has moved on, but I just want to say: can we not antagonise one another based on preferences/opinions. I think we all know what Tiago's likes and dislikes are at this point, and we don't need to be 'calling him out' every time he posts. He's allowed to have his opinion on things, and voice them here.

There is massive difference between saying there is nothing that appeals to me and saying that the Xbox lineup for 2022 is poor. That's just completely false.

Everybody is allowed to like and prefer what they want, but if you say things like that it's a guarantee people will call you out for it.

We don't need to all be cheerleaders as well but objectivity goes a long way.

I'm not sure he needs to be striving for objectivity in his opinions. Also, let's not forget that a lot of people interact with Era with English as a second language.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I really think what will made Halo infinite +90MC is the mission design & overall flow of the campaign.

Since it's non linear it need to be stimulative through it's sandbox/moment to moment gameplay like Botw did but also the principal mission need to deliver too.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It doesn't lessen Playground's achievement, but you have to admit that getting a 90+ for Forza Horizon is significantly easier for Playground than it will be to get 90+ for Fable. Action games are judged based on the factors Playground games have never been judged on. It's as simple as that.
I disagree with the notion that racing games are easier to make than RPG. The challenges are just different. I do agree however with your last argument, because for PG specifically making a RPG will be harder, since that's their first RPG. Whereas they nailed the FH formula. But I think making FH1 was just as hard as making Fable.

If you don't have a story, you can't have a bad story. If you don't have actual characters, you can't have annoying and unrelatable MC, stupid sidekicks or bad voice acting that really matters in the game. If you don't have NPCs, those can't be uninteresting, have idiotic AI. If you don't have enemies, you don't need to have combat system or worry about enemy AI and awareness
If you don't have car physics, you can't have bad car physics. If you don't have car, you can't have bad looking or wrong sounding cars. These things really matter in those games. If you don't have opponents, those can't be uninteresting (to race against), have idiotic AI. If you don't have opponents you don't need to train them for each track and worry about them racing believably and have awareness for the track and other cars. You don't need to teach them how to drive with different cars. That's hard to do.

Point is you can make a list for both genre that either shows challenges the other genre typically doesn't face or not to the same degree. For instance sound is important for every game. But nobody will judge the sound of a fairy in fable the same way car sounds are judged in racing games. For the latter there are real life examples and racing games are demanded to nail them. Is there a real life example of a fairy?

Physics simulation isn't exclusive to racing games.
Well of course not. But car physics are a huge and massive undertaking. Furthermore those need to be realistic in FH and even more so FM case. Nobody really judges how a shockwave spell in Fable interacts with the enemies and how accurate the enemies will fly away. It doesn't need to be realistic. Racing games do need to have a form of realism, even those sim arcade games.

Last edited:

KazeSim

Oct 25, 2017
I missed the first page by a long shot this time lol.

This sucks, I forgot to pre download Horizon 5, I'll be lucky if I can play by tomorrow night. :(

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I can be a negative ass but I feel like I can't tell which game is easier to make without coding anything in my life.

How did we even get here lol.

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that a racing game has "less" moving parts to be worried about is absurd. As is the idea that it is a genre that is more seen through a technical lenses, as opposed to a narrative first/third person shooter. Subjectivity in what we think of a game exists within every genre, and it certainly exists within an arcadey open world racer. It's why there are constant discussions about the structure of the recent games vs the old games.

I can understand the reasoning behind: well, they making a good racer does not mean they will make a good rpg. The idea that getting a 90+ racer is easier than getting a 90+ RPG does not make any sense.

While a racer won't need to worry about narrative (mostly), they do need to worry about a ton of stuff that other games do not need to worry about. Game design stuff, level design within an open world, AI between racing opponents, progression structure, customization, multiplayer/online, game modes, different feels for different types of car, different game feel for different types of roads, and so on.

Every style of game has it's own set of challenges. Not being sure that a developer of one style will fit another is completely reasonable, saying that making a 90+ game in one style is easier, though, does not make any sense. Saying that making one style of game is easier, then, is plain ignorance in how game development works.

Status
Not open for further replies.