Status
Not open for further replies.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Man am I excited for what inXile is up to on their next gen AAA RPG being built on Unreal Engine 5! I tried out the other Bard's Tale game that came onto Game Pass some and was impressed by the world building and such, but overall that type of gameplay wasn't totally my thing. But I am definitely going to be checking out 'The Bard's Tale ARPG' when it hits Game Pass tomorrow because it sounds hilarious, has Cary Elwes as the voice of The Bard (from Princess Bride fame) and of course is an action RPG in terms of gameplay. Here is a nice article with inXile about the game as it releases tomorrow.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i think the keyword is prepared. that may be the lowest they can go but that does not mean that is what they go with especially if sony is 500 or more

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Glad to see the positive reception to Grounded. If my controller wasn't so fricked up right now, I'd try to download the insider app and play it myself.

At the reveal, I wasn't sure on the art direction as I'm not a huge stylized visuals fan (I know, I know), but with some of the lighting effects it actually looks pretty damn good. I especially liked seeing the sunrise rays shining through the blades of grass and the low-aperture-style blurring out of the background house and other features.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Why not? MS is willing to lose money on the console to match PS5. Phil pretty much said so on IGN.

Theb why use 2 SKU strategy? You already have second SKU for those who want cheaper console and other that is more expensive.

Phil also said console sales aren't the most important thing for them. They focus on software and service.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theb why use 2 SKU strategy? You already have second SKU for those who want cheaper console and other that is more expensive.

Phil also said console sales aren't the most important thing for them. They focus on software and service.
Yeah, people need to quit looking at this through only consoles. Xbox has expanded beyond that.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Glad to see the positive reception to Grounded. If my controller wasn't so fricked up right now, I'd try to download the insider app and play it myself.

At the reveal, I wasn't sure on the art direction as I'm not a huge stylized visuals fan (I know, I know), but with some of the lighting effects it actually looks pretty damn good. I especially liked seeing the sunrise rays shining through the blades of grass and the low-aperture-style blurring out of the background house and other features.
It definitely has a lot of potential. I can't wait to play it without the time limit lol.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

I have no idea what the final pricing will be for either, but this is just flat out not accurate at all. This narrative by some warriors is based on Phil Spencer in that recent BBC interview when asked about the impact of COVID-19 on the global economy where he said that it doesn't rely on someone having to buy a new console this year right away at launch. Yes at a macro level they have clearly been focusing on software and services which is what everyone is actually doing no matter what they say because that is where the money is made, not hardware of course. Phil Spencer was also interviewed by Ryan at IGN and in other places in the last few months talking about the importance of the console, having the full support of Microsoft now and wanting to compete more strongly than before in the marketplace.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

They're clearly being very aggressive with their console approach because they consider their console the cornerstone of the Xbox brand/ecosystem. Just because console isn't the only part of the Xbox ecosystem and console sales aren't the only thing that matters to them doesn't mean they're not going to try to sell as many as they can.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Man am I excited for what inXile is up to on their next gen AAA RPG being built on Unreal Engine 5! I tried out the other Bard's Tale game that came onto Game Pass some and was impressed by the world building and such, but overall that type of gameplay wasn't totally my thing. But I am definitely going to be checking out 'The Bard's Tale ARPG' when it hits Game Pass tomorrow because it sounds hilarious, has Cary Elwes as the voice of The Bard (from Princess Bride fame) and of course is an action RPG in terms of gameplay. Here is a nice article with inXile about the game as it releases tomorrow.

yeah inxile will surprise some folks going into next gen.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're clearly being very aggressive with their console approach because they consider their console the cornerstone of the Xbox brand/ecosystem. Just because console isn't the only part of the Xbox ecosystem and console sales aren't the only thing that matters to them doesn't mean they're not going to try to sell as many as they can.
Of course not, but that doesn't mean they're willing to take a major loss in order to sell as many either. There's a balance and Lockhart addresses it.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020

i think this is right. My takeaway from everything Phil has said is that they're not measuring their success solely on how many boxes they're able to sell.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Yeah, people need to quit looking at this through only consoles. Xbox has expanded beyond that.

Exactly. I also remember when someone bringed up console sales or game sales, people always said this exactly same thing. Xbox is beyond that and they focus on gamepass numbers and software, not how many games or consoles they sell.

Now it suddenly has changed for some reason...

I have no idea what the final pricing will be for either, but this is just flat out not accurate at all. This narrative by some warriors is based on Phil Spencer in that recent BBC interview when asked about the impact of COVID-19 on the global economy where he said that it doesn't rely on someone having to buy a new console this year right away at launch. Yes at a macro level they have clearly been focusing on software and services which is what everyone is actually doing no matter what they say because that is where the money is made, not hardware of course. Phil Spencer was also interviewed by Ryan at IGN and in other places in the last few months talking about the importance of the console, having the full support of Microsoft now and wanting to compete more strongly than before in the marketplace.

www.ign.com

Phil Spencer: Xbox Focus Is on Software and Services, Not Console Sales - IGN

The future, as Spencer sees it, is everywhere, not just in a plastic box.

What warriors? Spencer is clearly stating that their focus is on software and services. Yes they still wanna sell xboxes, but i dont understand why you are expecting them to take massive losses for every unit sold, specially when they have cheaper and more premium console coming. The whole point of 2 SKU is to give people choice to buy cheaper or More expensive and that cheaper version already is much cheaper than their competition....

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
What warriors? Spencer is clearly stating that their focus is on software and services. Yes they still wanna sell xboxes, but i dont understand why you are expecting them to take massive losses for every unit sold, specially when they have cheaper and more premium console coming. The whole point of 2 SKU is to give people choice to buy cheaper or More expensive and that cheaper version already is much cheaper than their competition....

I never remotely said that I expect them to take massive losses for every unit sold, but Sony is focused on software and services too given that is where the massive majority of their revenue comes from with game sales and PSN. And obviously the Xbox next gen console(s) are the most significant current gateway into people for the software and services (Game Pass) on the Xbox side, so nobody really knows except for those within Microsoft what they want to do with pricing to foster that gateway.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never remotely said that I expect them to take massive losses for every unit sold, but Sony is focused on software and services too given that is where the massive majority of their revenue comes from with game sales and PSN. And obviously the Xbox next gen console(s) are the most significant current gateway into people for the software and services (Game Pass) on the Xbox side, so nobody really knows except for those within Microsoft what they want to do with pricing to foster that gateway.
It's obvious what Xbox plans on doing with creating a premium console that's "the world's most powerful console" and the heavily rumored Lockhart. C'mon now. LOL

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I can't stand this forum anymore. I don't understand why people need to hate on Microsoft and Xbox. It's fucking stupid.

In the next gen graphics hype thread people are praising Sony games to death but Hellblade 2 can't be mentioned because "it was not gameplay." But Horizon Forgotten West showed "little seconds of what could be considered gameplay" and thus is the most beautiful game ever created, a gift of God itself for humanity to feast their eyes in such beautiful magnificent graphics.

I just can't anymore. The only threads i keep subscribed is this one and the Fromsoftware Speculation one (Because you know...Elden Ring exists)

I need a time away from here. After the July event I'll come back to this thread to hype with you all. Stay safe
You know the PS5 threads are getting trolled just as hard these days as well, right? There just seems to be a major influx of trolling these days. It detracts from any kind of fun discussion.

Stick to the main threads and it isn't as bad.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
Cerny and Sony have done a great job marketing, people completely buy that wish washy GPU and CPU number and believe that the SSD is the only thing that matters in a console.
Developers also buy it. Damn Sony.

tenor.gif

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

Ofc Sony focuses on software. They even told us how their exclusives are more important to them than ever. But they are still much much more on tradional "sell most consoles" business.

Also it is pretty thick to see you calling other people warriors, when you have constantly been bashing Sony here. Games didn't look next gen, their showcase was fail, RC rifting through worlds wasn't impressive and how Medium was way more impressive and how their slogan sucks etc etc.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
It's not Sony/Cerny or marketing whatever.

People in this thread need to accept the fact that Sony got stronger presence worldwide especially more after this gen selling 100+ million.

There are regions/countries that have no Xbox support in 2020. Xbox biggest issue is not price, specs or some fud online. It's issue is localization and worldwide availability.

I respect Sony for the simple fact they support more regions and localize their games in more languages than MS bothers to do.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not Sony/Cerny or marketing whatever.

People in this thread need to accept the fact that Sony got stronger presence worldwide especially more after this gen selling 100+ million.

There are regions/countries that have no Xbox support in 2020. Xbox biggest issue is not price, specs or some fud online. It's issue is localization and worldwide availability.

I respect Sony for the simple fact they support more regions and localize their games in more languages than MS bothers to do.
Who in this thread doesn't accept this?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You know the PS5 threads are getting trolled just as hard these days as well, right? There just seems to be a major influx of trolling these days. It detracts from any kind of fun discussion.

Yea. Way too many concern threads. It's getting difficult to just enjoy discussion.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I think this is just referring to the fact that they have two SKUs. One for Power (XSX) one for Price (Lockhart). I don't think it says we'll see a $400 XSX but I'd love to be wrong
Or that he already knew PS5 specs at the time and had the intention to price match PS5 with XSX despite the edge in specs. We shall see.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
The Medium sounds really nice, that part about their patent especially sounds interesting. The one thing I'm not too sure about is that they went for semi fixed camera angles. Is that like the RE games of old? Wasn't that just fixed? What's semi fixed?

It could mean that scenes have a finite series of camera angles you can use, like each scene has a camera that can move within certain range or a handful of fixed angles depending on how you move.

It could also mean some scenes use a fixed camera and some have a more free camera, but probably the first one.

JohnLennon

May 16, 2020
For those of you who think this is the only safe space for Xbox talk and the rest of the site is difficult, I just don't agree. Of course you have childish Xbox/Playstation-obsessed posters who will argue with you until their favorite platform wins the argument, but I truly believe this site has a lot of intelligent and well-rounded posters who try their best to be objective.

That said, Playstation is a more popular and more global brand, so you will see more people favor Playstation overall. But that does not mean there is no positive Xbox talk around the site. In fact, I think PS5 threads have a lot of Xbox posters starting trouble too, and I bet you a lot of PS fans feel similarly to some of you.

At the end of the day, it's important to realize this site has thousands of users, and you shouldn't let what a handful of people say bother you. I saw a lot of people complaining about the Halo vs. Spiderman thread (hell I was chatty over there).... even though Halo won pretty easily. This thread is awesome, but the rest of the site is pretty great too.

In conclusion: JULY HYPE BABY!

Jan 4, 2018
The Medium sounds really nice, that part about their patent especially sounds interesting. The one thing I'm not too sure about is that they went for semi fixed camera angles. Is that like the RE games of old? Wasn't that just fixed? What's semi fixed?
If I'm not wrong, you should think about a moving video surveillance camera. It's fixed but can still pan to one side or the other in a limited range

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
If I'm not wrong, you should think about a moving video surveillance camera. It's fixed but can still pan to one side or the other in a limited range

Like RE of old except that you can move the camera, that's kinda cool but I automatically had assumed that this would be first or third person, hmmm. It sure looked like that in the trailer, but I guess we didn't see gameplay after all.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Halo Infinite doing God of War and pulling no cuts style. That is going to be amazing

I just don't see how this could be true, given it's a first person game with third person cutscenes. Panning out of Chief's visor, like in the Discover Hope trailer, will work here and there, but can you imagine it doing that every time the game takes control from you?

I dunno, I feel like that'll get old really quick.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I just don't see how this could be true, given it's a first person game with third person cutscenes.
And third person camera controls. You do have mini-cuts in last year's trailer and I thought it worked well there. No loading screens between levels, only cutscenes, would be awesome. I wonder if that's going to be universal across XB1/XSX.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see how this could be true, given it's a first person game with third person cutscenes. Panning out of Chief's visor, like in the Discover Hope trailer, will work here and there, but can you imagine it doing that every time the game takes control from you?

I dunno, I feel like that'll get old really quick.
Perfect Dark does it and it feels fine imo. Always really liked starting a new mission and getting that smooth transition

Jan 4, 2018
Like RE of old except that you can move the camera, that's kinda cool but I automatically had assumed that this would be first or third person, hmmm. It sure looked like that in the trailer, but I guess we didn't see gameplay after all.
Not sure it's you who moves the camera though. I think it's likely it simply turns automatically so your character (or whatever they want your attention concentrated in) is the focus

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
The AAA game every month thing sounds very, very fake to me. If it wasn't for that, I'd have gotten hyped for July at the possibility of "mic drop after mic drop" lol

Well it depends what constitutes a AAA game. They are pretty close to doing that now the past few months. just because they say AAA doesn't mean its going to be a AAA game from the past 12 months. it could be a couple years old but still be a AAA game.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
And third person camera controls. You do have mini-cuts in last year's trailer and I thought it worked well there. No loading screens between levels, only cutscenes, would be awesome. I wonder if that's going to be universal across XB1/XSX.

Yeah, long takes and seamless transitions into gameplay I'm all for - one of the best things about Gears 5 is those transitions from realtime cutscene into gameplay, but then it's easier to do that kind of stuff with a game that is already third person. You don't need to constantly fly into your player-character's head. That'll just feel a bit goofy to me.

Perfect Dark does it and it feels fine imo. Always really liked starting a new mission and getting that smooth transition

Halo's scale is a lot bigger than PD though (and I'd want 343 to be a bit more ambitious with their storytelling than a 21 year old game, if I'm honest). Don't get me wrong, I adore PD, and I think those transitions are fine in an older Rare game that has a very different tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.