• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't have much more to say about Lockhart other than if it doesn't exist then I'm not sure why a mode for it exists on Dante.
I kind of hope it exists, in combination with only having to download non 4K textures and content! I am one of those Norwegians that live in a city were Telenor went "Fuck you! We will only put in fiber where people already have fiber from a competitor.". WHich means old ADSL lines that aren't even maintained anymore and when you call to complain "Sorry, old lines!". BUt I digress. I currently already cannot download enough to own a modern console that isn't a Nintendo system, it would take me days to even update games. So a simpler console that has to download far less, and it's only 1080p? I don't mind that :).

That said, otherwise I'll just get my MS exclusives on PC, and try my best to see if I can install them on a work laptop. We have a fIber connection there :).

But really I would like a console that is just easier on my bandwidth so that I too can finally get into some next gen gaming :P.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
Yes, that actually makes more sense, not sure why I didn't think of that. So it's actually quite likely starting from 2021 not many stores will have Xbox One consoles any longer.

I just can't help but wonder if MS shouldn't just have followed Sony in this. I bet many of their install base would upgrade to XSS, especially if it's affordable and the hardcore crowd gets the XSX, and then all the talk about current gen systems holding back (I know, I know) would vanish. Because again, it's been seven years, a long ass time and enough time for people to consider making the upgrade to the new systems. Have Halo Infinite as the last big actual Xbox One game etc and then go straight to XSX/XSS only, like The Medium for example.

And to come back to current gen holding things back, I can't help but be a little bothered by it. I know, some people have explained why it doesn't have to be a bad thing, how scaling will be the answer. However, what a poster here yesterday and today said about Dragon Age worries me a little. That because of current gen limitations they couldn't have more people in the game world etc.

Whenever this is brought in a positive light it gets countered by "but A.I. and physics can't be scaled" and I just wonder, how true is that? Take Fable for example, is that being made with still taking into account that it can run decently on Xbox One systems? Or is it fully targeting XSX, all its capabilities and likely won't play all that great on Xbox One (or can they scale it all down for Xbox One while it still takes full advantage of XSX?) it's just something I wonder about.

But meh, fuck it. If Fable looks amazing once we see gameplay I'm gonna forget about all this and won't matter at all. It's just a highly unusual approach.

I honestly think the overlap period will be shorter than most people think. Especially with the way Booty phrased the whole "next year, two years" comment in a vague way. To me that basically read as "the things that were currently in development will have their current gen development honored and the current gen version released". Things like Psychonauts 2 etc. Basically "if you were looking forward to these, we aren't going to make them next gen exclusive". Admittedly, my read on it could be way off.

With that said, I think what makes it all so confusing is how it extrapolates to the future and how those lines in the sand will be drawn and how something like the Series X will be phased out by its successor and what that looks like.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
One X will absolutely be gone from shelves. One S might or might not, I could see it getting a $100 price cut to MSRP and sticking around for a bit.

$500 - Series X
$300 - Lockhart
($200 - One S, maybe)

Would only make sense if they make that one into a 150~100 Dollar streaming box without a disc tray. You know the SAD edition. Lower the price on that and you got something that can stream next gen games with a Gamepass ultimate sub, and still play old Xbox One games on top of it. Not for me, due to the aforementioned Telenor curse.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that actually makes more sense, not sure why I didn't think of that. So it's actually quite likely starting from 2021 not many stores will have Xbox One consoles any longer.

I just can't help but wonder if MS shouldn't just have followed Sony in this. I bet many of their install base would upgrade to XSS, especially if it's affordable and the hardcore crowd gets the XSX, and then all the talk about current gen systems holding back (I know, I know) would vanish. Because again, it's been seven years, a long ass time and enough time for people to consider making the upgrade to the new systems. Have Halo Infinite as the last big actual Xbox One game etc and then go straight to XSX/XSS only, like The Medium for example.

And to come back to current gen holding things back, I can't help but be a little bothered by it. I know, some people have explained why it doesn't have to be a bad thing, how scaling will be the answer. However, what a poster here yesterday and today said about Dragon Age worries me a little. That because of current gen limitations they couldn't have more people in the game world etc.

Whenever this is brought in a positive light it gets countered by "but A.I. and physics can't be scaled" and I just wonder, how true is that? Take Fable for example, is that being made with still taking into account that it can run decently on Xbox One systems? Or is it fully targeting XSX, all its capabilities and likely won't play all that great on Xbox One (or can they scale it all down for Xbox One while it still takes full advantage of XSX?) it's just something I wonder about.

But meh, fuck it. If Fable looks amazing once we see gameplay I'm gonna forget about all this and won't matter at all. It's just a highly unusual approach.
I think it would be detrimental to thier games, MS is doing a great thing here, for the first time, an established base will be part of the next gen celebration. Gamepass subscribers from previous gen will actively make next gen versions of these games better to play, higher level of contribution to online populations. For something like Halo, that's pretty significant. This new found focus on next gen exclusive during launch is a ridiculous one spun out of console wars, we can reasonably say games like AC, Cyberpunk will dominate sales for these new consoles, cross gen games, so the next gen only mantra is a technicality that mostly bad actors are trying to exploit rather then showing what is lost (it's all theory for now), the general audience care about great games that makes use of new hardware, which cross gen games will be doing, ie maxing out their engines. For a transitional period MS made the right choice.

Last edited:

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say MS Studios growth and expansion on diverse games present and into the future is lovely to see.

Phil and others are doing a great job in rebuilding their studio force in preparation for next gen.

I bought the OG Xbox long ago and loved games like Brute Force and Fusion Frenzy among others and I really do feel that MS Studios will deliver next gen with fun and unique titles. (I used to play Star Wars the Clone Wars as it came with my system but there was demons that introduced me to other games such as Mech Assault or Blinx the Cat on which I bought Mech Assault later, I didn't have Xbox live then.). Got the 360 for Viva Pinata and Naruto: Rise of a Ninja.

I also loved Halo but who didn't? lol

We may get something even greater then the OG Xbox days which is exciting to see in terms of diversity. The studios I am keeping a look out for is turn 10 Studios, Obsidian and Double Fine.

I hope the best for all of those studios and I hope for MS to also bring back a flagship JRPG too like they did in the early 360 days.

Best of luck for their Series X future.

Last edited:

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

It is unusual. They're trying something new, because they've seen the limits of a "standard" strategy.

I think it's clear that there are some things that scale relatively easily (resolution, texture detail) and some things that don't (physics, crowds/AI, streaming scenarios for the SSD). Whether any of those matters for any particular game depends on many things:

- Does the game actually make use of that feature? Master Chief doesn't typically fly through the world at 500 mph, so who gives a shit if the Xbox One can't stream data for such a scenario.
- Is the last gen version basically the same game with different graphics settings (e.g. Black Flag) or is it more of a ground up port with room for structural differences (Splinter Cell Double Agent back in the day, Forza Horizon 2)?
- Dev time and resources e.g. Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor is often cited as "impossible" on 360/PS3, but I suspect what this actually means is that based on schedule and cost they had to scope it out since they were unwilling to sacrifice on presentation and all the unique assets would have blown a memory budget somewhere. I can't imagine there's anything about the system itself (the generation and tracking of unique enemies and their interactions) that couldn't run on a 360 or PS3. That's just spreadsheet data.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Man Viva Piñata and Rise of a Ninja were so solid.

I'm sad Ubisoft didn't get a chance to make more Naruto games besides RoaN and BB.
Yeah it was a shame.

I loved those two and also loved the other Naruto games that weren't the Ultimate Ninja series.

It was more diverse in options back then like the GameCube games.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I honestly think the overlap period will be shorter than most people think. Especially with the way Booty phrased the whole "next year, two years" comment in a vague way. To me that basically read as "the things that were currently in development will have their current gen development honored and the current gen version released". Things like Psychonauts 2 etc. Basically "if you were looking forward to these, we aren't going to make them next gen exclusive". Admittedly, my read on it could be way off.

With that said, I think what makes it all so confusing is how it extrapolates to the future and how those lines in the sand will be drawn and how something like the Series X will be phased out by its successor and what that looks like.

Oh that's definitely a possibility. Halo Infinite, Psychonauts 2, Battletoads but also Everwild all being games that will be playable on Xbox One and then all the other big stuff like Fable, game The Initiative is working on, Obsidian, inXile is all for XSX and XSS only. It sure would surprise me if any of those games are still going to be playable on Xbox One. Let's say that's the case, I just wonder if things have been sacrificed for XSS in order for it to run on Xbox One.

That's the thing about this new way of doing things, the things we have no answer for yet.

I think it would be detrimental to thier games, MS is doing a great thing here, for the first time, an established base will be part of the next gen celebration. Gamepass subscribers from previous gen will actively make next gen versions of these games better to play, higher level of contribution to online populations. For something like Halo, that's pretty significant. This new found focus on next gen exclusive during launch is a ridiculous one spun out of console wars, we can reasonably say games like AC, Cyberpunk will dominate sales for these new consoles, cross gen games, so the next gen only mantra is a technicality that mostly bad actors are trying to exploit rather then showing what is lost (it's all theory for now), the general audience care about great games that makes use of new hardware, which cross gen games will be doing, ie maxing out their engines. For a transitional period MS made the right choice.

That's certainly true about Cyberpunk and AC. Hell I remember when Xbox One came out in the US and we had just gotten GTA V, there was nothing on Xbox One or PS4 at launch that could even come near that game. The system didn't come out until a year later, but if it had I don't know for sure if I had bought it. GTA took up all my time.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Eehhh, even though things surely could change, i remember that Tameen (the director and studio head) said on an Instagram post that both Project Mara and Hellblade 2 were real time in engine.

Ok, if he did than that changes things and I stand corrected, but i only saw in-engine being mentioned, never clearly stated that it was realtime.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Man Viva Piñata and Rise of a Ninja were so solid.

I'm sad Ubisoft didn't get a chance to make more Naruto games besides RoaN and BB.
Bandai Namco's stranglehold on anime licenses is not good

At best their licensed anime games are mediocre, and at worst they are embarrassing disasters (except FighterZ)

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It is unusual. They're trying something new, because they've seen the limits of a "standard" strategy.

I think it's clear that there are some things that scale relatively easily (resolution, texture detail) and some things that don't (physics, crowds/AI, streaming scenarios for the SSD). Whether any of those matters for any particular game depends on many things:

- Does the game actually make use of that feature? Master Chief doesn't typically fly through the world at 500 mph, so who gives a shit if the Xbox One can't stream data for such a scenario.
- Is the last gen version basically the same game with different graphics settings (e.g. Black Flag) or is it more of a ground up port with room for structural differences (Splinter Cell Double Agent back in the day, Forza Horizon 2)?
- Dev time and resources e.g. Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor is often cited as "impossible" on 360/PS3, but I suspect what this actually means is that based on schedule and cost they had to scope it out since they were unwilling to sacrifice on presentation and all the unique assets would have blown a memory budget somewhere. I can't imagine there's anything about the system itself (the generation and tracking of unique enemies and their interactions) that couldn't run on a 360 or PS3. That's just spreadsheet data.

You make a good point here. For Fable I would guess they want lots of NPCs, physics, big open world full of details etc. But a lot of that I'm sure can be scaled down for Xbox One. Of course we want them to fully utilize the SSD of the XSX, so I don't know how that would work for Xbox One.

When all is said and done I just want those big AAA exclusives to fully take advantage of that bad boy man, I know for sure we all do. I bet Playground, The Initiative, Obsidian, inXile, etc want the same.

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
n60aN1F.jpg

More tomorrow :)
I'd love to be added 🙏🏿

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I am guessing Worlds Edge will carry on the series once the remakes etc are done.

World's Edge is Shannon Loftis' internal team of about 40 folks as of Dec 2019. While they have a variety of roles internally, including Adam Isgreen as creative director, I think their primary job is to oversee franchise direction with partner developers such as Relic, Forgotten Empires, and Tantalus.

www.windowscentral.com

Age of Empires' head talks the future of its new World's Edge studio, Age of Empires 4, and more

How Microsoft revived Age of Empires, bestowing its once-sidelined strategy icon with a dedicated development studio.

EXXo

Nov 12, 2019
Manchester

Been an Xbox fan since 2002, Halo is the one game that keeps me on the platform, I am really hoping Halo Infinite hits the mark as Halo 5 wasn't that bad, been rough being an xbox gamer this gen, been making great moves so far apart from the 3rd party "gameplay".

I think in terms of different gameplay types for the xbox exclusives we get a huge variety so im hoping to that more in July.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If there's going to be exclusive Series X (Lockhart) games in 2021 then they should come out and say it to clear up any confusion. The fact they haven't despite people talking about it for the past six months tells me they're planning on supporting XB1S/X through Winter 2021 and we'll see the first next gen exclusive in Spring 2022 (probably Hellblade II).

Like you I feel this is fair in order to deliver games they've already revealed or announced to existing customers.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
If there's going to be exclusive Series X (Lockhart) games in 2021 then they should come out and say it to clear up any confusion. The fact they haven't despite people talking about it for the past six months tells me they're planning on supporting XB1S/X through Winter 2021 and we'll see the first next gen exclusive in Spring 2022 (probably Hellblade II).
We'll get our answer in July.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019

Like you I feel this is fair in order to deliver games they've already revealed or announced to existing customers.

I agree with your timeline. I was going to say that I can't see them going much beyond the end of 2021 with cross gen titles. If anything, I can see them doing something similar to Forza Horizon 2 where Playground does the proper Series X version and they have another studio do the XB1 port.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with your timeline. I was going to say that I can't see them going much beyond the end of 2021 with cross gen titles. If anything, I can see them doing something similar to Forza Horizon 2 where Playground does the proper Series X version and they have another studio do the XB1 port.

Yeah I'm sure there will be exceptions. Most Xbox studios seem to have incredibly well optimised engines when it comes to scalability. A Forza Motorsport that was built for Series X could theoretically run at 720p/30fps on the XB1S with much lower quality textures and much, much longer loading times.

Unreal Engine 5 games have already been talked about running on mobile so the next Gears will probably scale down really well too.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I kind of hope it exists, in combination with only having to download non 4K textures and content! I am one of those Norwegians that live in a city were Telenor went "Fuck you! We will only put in fiber where people already have fiber from a competitor.". WHich means old ADSL lines that aren't even maintained anymore and when you call to complain "Sorry, old lines!". BUt I digress. I currently already cannot download enough to own a modern console that isn't a Nintendo system, it would take me days to even update games. So a simpler console that has to download far less, and it's only 1080p? I don't mind that :).

That said, otherwise I'll just get my MS exclusives on PC, and try my best to see if I can install them on a work laptop. We have a fIber connection there :).

But really I would like a console that is just easier on my bandwidth so that I too can finally get into some next gen gaming :P.
Sorry mate, but I don't think that's the direction the industry is going in now. If you don't have access to a good internet connection, you just might be screwed out of gaming next-gen, save for select Nintendo games since they have crazy good compression. Hopefully a Lockhart could mitigate that, but who knows.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Since the June news is related to hardware and services, is there any chance of VR talk?

I really hope VR isn't something Xbox skips out on this upcoming gen.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Since the June news is related to hardware and services, is there any chance of VR talk?

I really hope VR isn't something Xbox skips out on this upcoming gen.

i think if Microsoft goes the VR route it'll be midway thru the gen (2024-2025).

After being burned on Kinect, and going in a weird direction for a few years, it seems like they are now fully going in the direction of Game Pass + Traditional core games, and trying to win over gamers who prefer those type of games.

And VR could possibly take away resources from core games, and divert funds from the traditional games going to game pass.

This is all just speculation on my part tho.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
i think if Microsoft goes the VR route it'll be midway thru the gen (2024-2025).

After being burned on Kinect, and going in a weird direction for a few years, it seems like they are now fully going in the direction of Game Pass + Traditional core games, and trying to win over gamers who prefer those type of games.

And VR could possibly take away resources from core games, and divert funds from the traditional games going to game pass.

This is all just speculation on my part tho.

It's still weird to me that InXile is making a VR multiplayer game that wont be playable on Xbox.

With Ninja Theory adding a VR mode to Hellblade 1, I was hoping Project Mara could be a big breakout VR game

Seems like wasted potential to me. Hope they decide to bring VR sooner than later.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Showing no games in June would be worse than the 2013 reveal. It would be insane.
Hyperbole much? Theyve said june is a hardware/services thing, and july is their first party showcase. As long as they advertise those events appropriately everything will be fine. Also theyve already shown off/announced multiple games, so by that merit alone theres no way it can be worse than 2013

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Hyperbole much? Theyve said june is a hardware/services thing, and july is their first party showcase. As long as they advertise those events appropriately everything will be fine. Also theyve already shown off/announced multiple games, so by that merit alone theres no way it can be worse than 2013

No. Not at all. If they focus on services only it'll just be a repeat of TV TV TV. Might as well just bring back snap.

They've done well up until May but it they follow this path they've fallen at the end.

What they should do.

1st event: console reveal, big hitter first party e.g. Halo, Fable, Hellblade 2, AAA third party. Power. Power. Power. Services. Price. Lockheart. Studio acquisition.

2nd event: full 1st party blowout. Literally everything. From almost done to concept stage.

3rd event : indie next gen. Basically the May event.

You're welcome, Microsoft.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
No. Not at all. If they focus on services only it'll just be a repeat of TV TV TV. Might as well just bring back snap.

They've done well up until May but it they follow this path they've fallen at the end.

What they should do.

1st event: console reveal, big hitter first party e.g. Halo, Fable, Hellblade 2, AAA third party. Power. Power. Power. Services. Price. Lockheart. Studio acquisition.

2nd event: full 1st party blowout. Literally everything. From almost done to concept stage.

3rd event : indie next gen. Basically the May event.

You're welcome, Microsoft.

Lol, ffs.

They have a first party event ready for July. It was originally planned for June. Because of COVID-19, developers working from home, etc. the Xbox team gave them more time to get things ready.

June they'll probably have smaller blogposts from IGN and stuff talking about, I'm guessing, features of the console, Xbox Live, and other things we don't know about.

At this point, the big reveals of Fable and Perfect Dark are now so ingrained in common perception that their impact is possibly lessened.

Next gen PS games will be a surprise, so the impact potentially greater.

I'll reply to this as well: We know about GT7, Horizon Zero Dawn 2 (with flight mechanics), Silent Hill, Demon's Souls remake, and a new Ratchet and Clank.

Hell, we have a huge Silent Hill thread on the front page, we had a huge GT7 thread last week, and we get a Demons Souls thread every 2 weeks or so. I can't remember the last thread on Perfect Dark.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
There's really going to be an explosion of 'concern' after Thursday. This place is going to be unbearable.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
I just finished Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Man, I love gaming. Such an emotional ride. Thank you, Moon Studios. thomasmahler, congrats to all the team for such an amazing experience.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
you are correct, and I have to say that I can't understand the fears of some people on this.
we have already seen how they are able to bring their games to two very different machines.
for example, forza 7 utlized the standard xbone the best way possible and was a clear upgrade from 6, while forza 7 version X had the highest quality assets, shadows, detail, resolution, on par with max pc.
in forza horizon 4 the same, and they even offered a 60fps option on X.
likewise, forza 8 will use xbone the best possible way, X probably again will use highest quality assets and resolution, and the new machine on top will maybe have some sweet raytraced cars, shadows and reflections.
so its all sweet and dandy in my book.
chillax people, all is going to be good.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
It gonna be a good and bad time here on resetera when the event happens in june for playstation because while i will expect some of the games shown to also be availible on xbox it is gonna be those annoying fanboys or FUD post about how xbox is doom and stuff which is always annoying since im trying to enjoy gaming and fanboyism makes it worse for both side.I also want a PS5 but i did not get a ps4 because of the bad fanboyism and general bad community from playstation during the 2013/2014 days.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
It gonna be a good and bad time here on resetera when the event happens in june for playstation because while i will expect some of the games shown to also be availible on xbox it is gonna be those annoying fanboys or FUD post about how xbox is doom and stuff which is always annoying since im trying to enjoy gaming and fanboyism makes it worse for both side.I also want a PS5 but i did not get a ps4 because of the bad fanboyism and general bad community from playstation during the 2013/2014 days.
Don't base any of your life decisions off of fanboys on the internet.

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
There's really going to be an explosion of 'concern' after Thursday. This place is going to be unbearable.

None of the post-Thursday meltdown will be vaguely XGS-related, either, and yet it'll infiltrate this thread, too. While this has become the defacto Xbox community thread, the downside of this OT being a single catch-all of sorts for everything Xbox is going to be highlighted in the coming days/weeks.

A separate Xbox speculation and hype thread - incorporating concern and whatever else - would be handy during this period, particularly when real XGS news starts to flow in July.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
There are some people that I would categorize as concern addicts(I am not a doctor).
None of the post-Thursday meltdown will be vaguely XGS-related, either, and yet it'll infiltrate this thread, too. While this has become the defacto Xbox community thread, the downside of this OT being a single catch-all of sorts for everything Xbox is going to be highlighted in the coming days/weeks.

A separate Xbox speculation and hype thread - incorporating concern and whatever else - would be handy during this period, particularly when real XGS news starts to flow in July.
People wouldn't place all of their concern in that other thread just because it exists. It'll make its way here regardless and XGS and the hardware that goes along with it are linked so this is one of those good sounding ideas that wouldn't do much of anything.

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
People being freaked out about Xbox Showing there stuff off in July is bizarre to me.

Like, If SOny was showing off their games in June and Microsoft was debuting in October I would be worried but . .

Its July . . Its one month (if that)

Seriously

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
you know for all the fans playstation has they are always scared/worried about xbox when sometimes it is not even important to compare.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
Do we have any guesses/hints as to when the July event is happening? I'm hoping it's the first week of July and not the last. I don't want to wait another 50+ days for Halo info.

Status
Not open for further replies.