Status
Not open for further replies.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Before the big July coming out party, I'd like to just stop and reflect on the complete 180 Xbox has done with regard to 1st party content.

I don't think we always appreciate how big Xbox has gone the last couple years. We've sort of gotten used to this level of investment. But it's easy to imagine a world where, in 2016-2017, they decided to paper over the problems instead of attacking it at scale. They could have announced that all their usual games like Forza and Gears would get 3 years instead of 2, and people would have considered it an improvement. They could have added a couple obvious studios they already worked with like Undead Labs and Playground and called it a day. They could have gone out and gotten some big publishing deals to plug gaps. And honestly I think most people would have said "ok, good, nice to see they're investing again" to that.

But adding 7 existing studios? Building an entire new studio, and funding additional teams and expansion at others? Giving games as long as they need to bake - up to 5 years for Halo? Doing all that while continuing to pull in publishing deals like Ori and Tell Me Why, while reinvesting in the PC with IP like Age of Empires and Flight Sim, and tying it all together with their Game Pass strategy? Can't help but think that three years ago, no one would have believed you if you'd told them what was coming.

I know this probably comes across as a fanboy post, but I'd write the same type of thing about Sony's turnaround with the late PS3 or Nintendo's ballsiness in coming up with the Wii at a low point for the company. Sometimes you just have to give credit where credit is due. And I'll put my cards on the table - I think MS is going to put together one hell of a show in the next few weeks.

But regardless of what everyone ends up thinking of the reveal, it's awesome to see Xbox giving it their best shot even as their competitors continue to put out fantastic games. As the saying goes.... When everybody plays, we all win :)

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Before the big July coming out party, I'd like to just stop and reflect on the complete 180 Xbox has done with regard to 1st party content.

I don't think we always appreciate how big Xbox has gone the last couple years. We've sort of gotten used to this level of investment. But it's easy to imagine a world where, in 2016-2017, they decided to paper over the problems instead of attacking it at scale. They could have announced that all their usual games like Forza and Gears would get 3 years instead of 2, and people would have considered it an improvement. They could have added a couple obvious studios they already worked with like Undead Labs and Playground and called it a day. They could have gone out and gotten some big publishing deals to plug gaps. And honestly I think most people would have said "ok, good, nice to see they're investing again" to that.

But adding 7 existing studios? Building an entire new studio, and funding additional teams and expansion at others? Giving games as long as they need to bake - up to 5 years for Halo? Doing all that while continuing to pull in publishing deals like Ori and Tell Me Why, while reinvesting in the PC with IP like Age of Empires and Flight Sim, and tying it all together with their Game Pass strategy? Can't help but think that three years ago, no one would have believed you if you'd told them what was coming.

I know this probably comes across as a fanboy post, but I'd write the same type of thing about Sony's turnaround with the late PS3 or Nintendo's ballsiness in coming up with the Wii at a low point for the company. Sometimes you just have to give credit where credit is due. And I'll put my cards on the table - I think MS is going to put together one hell of a show in the next few weeks.

But regardless of what everyone ends up thinking of the reveal, it's awesome to see Xbox giving it their best shot even as their competitors continue to put out fantastic games. As the saying goes.... When everybody plays, we all win :)
I like this post :)

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA

If after E3 2013, you told me the Xbox team would be where they are today, I'd ask you to lay off that good stuff and take a hike. It's been fascinating to watch the platform grow and develop. I think the biggest sea change would be Nadella recognizing Xbox (and Phil by extension) as a core piece of Microsoft's operations and giving them not only a seat at the table, but renewed financial discretion. Honestly, you'd have been justified as you watched the PS4 run away that to think that the Xbox's days were numbered as a part of Microsoft.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

MS supporting Steam continues to pay dividends. One of the best moves they've made this gen in order to set them up for wide ranging success on the software side going forward. Between Steam, console, Game Pass, and xCloud XGS games are going to reach a hell of a lot of people.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019

MS supporting Steam continues to pay dividends. One of the best moves they've made this gen in order to set them up for wide ranging success on the software side going forward. Between Steam, console, Game Pass, and xCloud XGS games are going to reach a hell of a lot of people.

How the hell is the Valve Index #2?

Jun 15, 2020

God, I do not get why these people aren't just signing up for Game Pass and playing these games there, but whatever. I'm sure Xbox is glad to have their money!

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Jun 15, 2020
Seeing all the resources And support Xbox studios are getting now, does anyone else ever get a little bummed thinking, "Man, I would liked to have seen what Twisted Pixel would make under this regime..."?

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
If after E3 2013, you told me the Xbox team would be where they are today, I'd ask you to lay off that good stuff and take a hike. It's been fascinating to watch the platform grow and develop. I think the biggest sea change would be Nadella recognizing Xbox (and Phil by extension) as a core piece of Microsoft's operations and giving them not only a seat at the table, but renewed financial discretion. Honestly, you'd have been justified as you watched the PS4 run away that to think that the Xbox's days were numbered as a part of Microsoft.

Yes, agreed 100% on the change within MS as a whole.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Seeing all the resources And support Xbox studios are getting now, does anyone else ever get a little bummed thinking, "Man, I would liked to have seen what Twisted Pixel would make under this regime..."?
I definitely wish things had gone differently. Ms Splosion Man was really great. Comic Jumper didn't have amazing gameplay or anything but I remember it being really funny and inventive with the different art styles. Lococycle didn't work but I didn't write them off completely because of it.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
On a somewhat related note, why was Press Play shut down? Lionhead's woes were well documented but I can't find much on them.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
On a somewhat related note, why was Press Play shut down? Lionhead's woes were well documented but I can't find much on them.
Hard to say for sure, but if I remember correctly, they didn't seem to have much vision. I think towards the end, they even had fans choose their new project on Twitter or something. Their final project (called Project Knoxville) that they were working on when the studio was closed also looked pretty uninspired. It was also a really bad time for XGS in terms of budget too. That was when Terry Myerson was still above Phil and had slashed the Xbox budget and made a bunch of gambles with other products that didn't pay off. Others here may have better insight on that situation, but it almost seemed like they were using Xbox's funding to cover some of their other misses like Windows Phone, Hololens, and Surface's rocky start (mainly driven by introducing Windows RT, in my opinion).

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly. But I can't understand preferring it THAT MUCH that you'd pass on what a deal GP is.

I'll say this,and I really try to see the good in what this era of Microsoft/Xbox is doing, but there is still some weird-ass issues with the Windows Store. For example, MCC and PSO2 would keep disappearing off my SSD for no reason. So I'd have to reinstall them. I know it's more of a Windows side thing and not Xbox, but still..It low key has me concerned of what the reception of Halo Infinite would be if that issue isn't solved before then. Microsoft can't afford any launch issues on it.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
It's still so weird having a person with a DS controller come in here being as positive and excited about Xbox shit.. you're a fuckin legend, man

Haha, I was just late to the Xbox party! But it's really become the most interesting ecosystem and platform to me, I think the strategy is fascinating and it's fun watching MS right the ship. And One X plus Game Pass have, to my own surprise, turned it into my main system.

Doesn't mean I trashed my PS4 though :) It's ok to love more than one console!

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

What is this a positive MS post??

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, I was just late to the Xbox party! But it's really become the most interesting ecosystem and platform to me, I think the strategy is fascinating and it's fun watching MS right the ship. And One X plus Game Pass have, to my own surprise, turned it into my main system.

Doesn't mean I trashed my PS4 though :) It's ok to love more than one console!

Very much so! I have a PC, Xbox, and Switch. Had and enjoyed my time with the PS4 (the viral "wtf is this" of PT finally got me to bite on one. I sold off my ps4 to a coworker that was so bummed he couldn't find the Spiderman PS4 in time), and I guarantee you I'll end up with a PS5 within a year or so of its launch. Everyone's ecosystem is too good to ignore. It's what Phil talks about. The gaming community is better when it's made up of brands you can trust. Just because PS wins doesn't mean Xbox has to go down and vice versa. The industry is too healthy for that nonsense.

Jun 15, 2020
Finally played some CrossfireX. Man, I just don't like these kinds of shooters in a PvP environment. If there's some kind of Co-op PvE/Horde mode, I'll play that. Anyone know if there is?

But if it's all PvP, it's a pass from me. I know there's a Remedy campaign, at least. That's something.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Finally played some CrossfireX. Man, I just don't like these kinds of shooters in a PvP environment. If there's some kind of Co-op PvE/Horde mode, I'll play that. Anyone know if there is?

But if it's all PvP, it's a pass from me. I know there's a Remedy campaign, at least. That's something.
Pretty sure Remedy is doing the campaign mode for it.

Sep 8, 2019

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Hard to say for sure, but if I remember correctly, they didn't seem to have much vision. I think towards the end, they even had fans choose their new project on Twitter or something. Their final project (called Project Knoxville) that they were working on when the studio was closed also looked pretty uninspired. It was also a really bad time for XGS in terms of budget too. That was when Terry Myerson was still above Phil and had slashed the Xbox budget and made a bunch of gambles with other products that didn't pay off. Others here may have better insight on that situation, but it almost seemed like they were using Xbox's funding to cover some of their other misses like Windows Phone, Hololens, and Surface's rocky start (mainly driven by introducing Windows RT, in my opinion).

I played the Alpha of Knoxville (which really wasn't the best project pitched but that's okay) and honestly the premise was quite great. Remember, this was 2015 and it was right as survival-BR games where getting big. Fortnite wasn't a thing yet. It was basically a BR game where you actually had to team-up to win but to get the most score you would have to betray people. So it was this constant "I don't trust you but I have to trust you" game. Pretty fun.
The studio got killed way too quickly. I understand Xbox was going through a bad period but they sacríficed a studio that had a track record of making "semi-sucesseful" games just 3 years after buying them.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I hope aside of the console news that Xbox is also going to show or at least talk about some stuff for pc, as in, whats going on with the xbox app and the promised modding support.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018

WOW! I know it was an early prototype but that game looked really really uninspiring

Deleted member 69222

User requested account closure
Banned
May 14, 2020
The studio got killed way too quickly. I understand Xbox was going through a bad period but they sacríficed a studio that had a track record of making "semi-sucesseful" games just 3 years after buying them.

The Curse of Brotherhood is honestly one of my favorite Xbox One games.

I'm happy to see them continue to make more fun games in their new studio. Although sadly they're not as popular as they were back when they were an MS studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.