• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Rod has briefly said in one of the past interviews how they'd handle the Gears 5 advertising/marketing campaign. I'll search for the timestamp, but they seem to go for more of a Forza Horizon 4-like approach where they show it at E3 and immediately push weekly stuff until release.

Edit: this time with the right timestamp ;)

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they didnt have anything to show that was ready in their eyes. I dont expect anything Gears before E3 also. They are more tight lipped about they dont need a they 7 months beta before release also with this game like they needed with Gears 4. E3 they show alot and maybe even start a MP beta test right after that. Wich seems fine to me.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'm inclined to say that Gears not being shown at X0 is a good thing. Especially with Gears, which I trust to come out and be at least as good as 4. If it isn't ready, I'd rather them not show it then Microsoft force them to hack together a demo that may not be representative of the final product. See Anthem.

Aug 26, 2018
Rod has briefly said in one of the past interviews how they'd handle the Gears 5 advertising/marketing campaign. I'll search for the timestamp, but they seem to go for more of a Forza Horizon 4-like approach where they show it at E3 and immediately push weekly stuff until release.

I am most interested to see how Gears 5 will stack up graphically to the likes of RDR2, Metro Exodus, TLOU2 and God of War.

I hope they go 4k 60 fps as Rod promised with industry leading RTX implementation, great MoCap ( RDR2, TLOU, Hellblade) & Photo-realistic landscapes.

Confident in the story, gameplay and Horde developments though.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I think people are forgetting how much shade Gears 4 got for looking downgraded visually during the beta phase (which was intentional, the full visuals weren't ready to go yet).

Most definitely. I definitely think that the focus during that beta was getting the core matchmaking and balancing stuff right and Rod pretty much hammered it down that it wasn't going to be your typical "pre-release demo".

throwback from April 2016:

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

great!!

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly didn't see the need for any Gears 5 footage after what they showed last E3.

The dev got my full trust after Gears 4. They established themselves very well as the Gears dev.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
So I just got a message from Xbox saying gold is going up by £10 in the UK from £40 to £50 a year. If gold sticks around into the next gen, might have to seriously consider a living room PC instead. Seems crazy I have to pay to play multiplayer on consoles and not on PC. I've been a console gamer for 30 years but now that games will be on PC to, perhaps now is the time to switch?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I was hoping we would have already heard something, especially since having a beta should be a priority. Hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer.

Yup, there is so much Halo talk about the Halo franchise in comparison that Gears is starting to feel like the redheaded stepchild. I swear I think conversation about Halo Infinite (that is still far away) has dwarfed any conversation about Gears 5 since they were both revealed last year.

This is what Microsoft do on a regular basis, its stupid but it is what it is.

Not when it comes to Gears. They have never been this quiet for such a big game from them.

soon, I can feel it!!

I cant wait much longer

So two more months till new info :/

I hope this new strategy works out well, because unlike Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5 has already gone about a year without an update. I would understand if it was just being announced this E3 but they really could have made use of that year between the events to keep the hype going for Gears 5.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Yup, there is so much Halo talk about the Halo franchise in comparison that Gears is starting to feel like the redheaded stepchild. I swear I think conversation about Halo Infinite (that is still far away) has dwarfed any conversation about Gears 5 since they were both revealed last year.

Not when it comes to Gears. They have never been this quiet for such a big game from them.

I cant wait much longer

I hope this new strategy works out well, because unlike Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5 has already gone about a year without an update. I would understand if it was just being announced this E3 but they really could have made use of that year between the events to keep the hype going for Gears 5.
Shit, they showed off 3 new Gears games, and barely any updates on any of them for the year. Gears Pop's soft launch just got brushed under the radar like Miami Street.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I keep seeing people say that gears 5 doesn't need an early beta but 4 did. That doesn't make sense to me. 4 was not innovative, it was gears 3.2. To be honest it felt like a sequel to the ultimate edition that the coalition did.So a beta was really only needed for balancing and server stuff.

Gears 5 is supposed to be really innovative. It's supposed to be fresh and make big changes. Now that sounds like a game that needs an early beta.

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
tbh if we don't hear anything about gears 5 this month, then I'm going to assume that the game isn't performing super well in internal reviews. I really want gears 5 to be good, the trailer really impressed me, but this silence just reminds me of the treatment Crackdown 3 got. This is very different to the FH4 situation, gears has a much more dedicated fan base, and getting them hyped is absolutely key.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
tbh if we don't hear anything about gears 5 this month, then I'm going to assume that the game isn't performing super well in internal reviews. I really want gears 5 to be good, the trailer really impressed me, but this silence just reminds me of the treatment Crackdown 3 got. This is very different to the FH4 situation, gears has a much more dedicated fan base, and getting them hyped is absolutely key.
Why would we hear anything about Gears 5 two months before E3? There'll be plenty of time from E3 to release to hype up the game. And if Gears has a more dedicated fan base than Forza wouldn't there be even less need to get them hyped lol?

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

I cant wait much longer

all will be forgiven soon :)

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
I know this thread has moved on from the TOPIC but put me down as a YES for BIOWARE if they ever became available. They have too many IPs and past successes not to take a chance on them. I don't believe EA would let them go but if it was at all possible. JUST DO IT!

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I know this thread has moved on from the TOPIC but put me down as a YES for BIOWARE if they ever became available. They have too many IPs and past successes not to take a chance on them. I don't believe EA would let them go but if it was at all possible. JUST DO IT!
If Bioware were to be sold (it won't be), IPs would not go with it.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Makes sense to show your 2019 key title in a random IX and kill the surprise effect just two months before the worlds biggest gaming event.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to chime in on the Gears commentary and I'm saying this as someone who really likes Gears 4. Another Gears 4 will probably kill the franchise to the point of it needing a complete reboot. The series is slowly becoming the fourth wheel behind Halo, Forza and Fable. Not including whatever NT and Initiative is making.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Oh... So if ((TOTALLY HYPOTHETICAL)) If Google Bought Rockstar they wouldn't own the rights to RED DEAD?. Take Two would still own the IP?

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Just wanted to chime in on the Gears commentary and I'm saying this as someone who really likes Gears 4. Another Gears 4 will probably kill the franchise to the point of it needing a complete reboot. The series is slowly becoming the fourth wheel behind Halo, Forza and Fable. Not including whatever NT and Initiative is making.
There's no way Gears is behind Fable, of all things.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
There's no reason to think Gears 5 is going to be as safe as Gears 4.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Google wouldn't buy Rockstar, they would buy Take-Two. Rockstar is a publishing label.

Ok wow, I admit I totally did not understand the publisher / developer thing the right way. I'll look into it more, but basically a publisher holds the rights to a game, unless the rights (or publisher less likely) is sold?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Ok wow, I admit I totally did not understand the publisher / developer thing the right way. I'll look into it more, but basically a publisher holds the rights to a game, unless the rights (or publisher less likely) is sold?
Well it depends, but Take-Two (the parent), Rockstar Games (the publisher), and Rockstar North (the developer) are all one company.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I think this would be a really bad idea. And that's coming from someone who puts kotor and ME 1-3 All in my top 10 games all time. They are a shell of themselves. Management seams to be extremely toxic. I would stay away.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Currently Bioware have a staff of 800, they're clearly suffering from serious problems at a managerial and cultural level, and I'm unconvinced the talent is still there. I'm not sure Bioware is a prudent purchase. Hell, they could probably purchase Insomniac for cheaper. Alternatively Ms could also buy multiple smaller AAA studios with a far healthier culture, and oodles of talent for the cost of Bioware (e.g. IOI, Larian, Asobo, Don'tnod, CertainAffinity all together would probably cost less than Bioware).

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Ok I guess I change my stance on Bioware. If the IPs wouldn't come with the studio like Matt said, then that would be a deal breaker!

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I keep seeing people say that gears 5 doesn't need an early beta but 4 did. That doesn't make sense to me. 4 was not innovative, it was gears 3.2. To be honest it felt like a sequel to the ultimate edition that the coalition did.So a beta was really only needed for balancing and server stuff.

Gears 5 is supposed to be really innovative. It's supposed to be fresh and make big changes. Now that sounds like a game that needs an early beta.

I agree but even regardless of this I feel like every first party title with a significant multiplayer element should have a beta. It just makes sense to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.