• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I wonder what studios MS will buy next?

Not to be one of those people who post studio wishlists all the time, but I would LOVE Moon Studios to be acquired, I know Thomas Mahler has said they're not for sale, but I really do think they'd be a great studio for MS to add and would really elevate their 1st party as a whole in terms of quality and polish.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I could see Xbox S2 and X2. Wouldn't be bad. Unless MS has a clever name out there I think that's an easy way to fix their naming going forward.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
giphy.gif

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what studios MS will buy next?

IO Interactive seems the most likely.

Given the sales of Hitman 2, the talent they've shown in creating open world sandbox games.

IO get more resources to expand creatively. MS get a very talented studio that create types of games that drive the most engagement for platform and services.

Seems a win win for both parties.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
How soon in to the month did they start teasing April game pass game? Less that I'm really aching to find out what May will add and more that I just love their teases.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
I 've been watching old E3s and Giant Bombs interviews. I'm trying to figure out how can they announce something that will have the same Impact of the Ninja Theory announcement!

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I 've been watching old E3s and Giant Bombs interviews. I'm trying to figure out how can they announce something that will have the same Impact of the Ninja Theory announcement!

Ninja Theory was both a well kept secret and their caliber as a studio, especially after their phenomenal success with Hellblade, these factors are what made the announcement so surprising.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Ninja Theory was both a well kept secret and their caliber as a studio, especially after their phenomenal success with Hellblade, these factors are what made the announcement so surprising.

I Agree, I'm just saying. Two years ago it was 360 back compat, then original xbox back compat, expanding on Japanese titles like Nier and Monster Hunter. It just seems like either this E3 is going to have a ridiculous amount of "Mind Blowing" announcements, or it may be one of the most disappointing E3s in Microsoft's history! I'm starting to think this may be more than what people expected.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

When I think of Studios that are so on top of their genre and have the kind of legacy that Ninja Theory had, honestly one of the first things that comes to mind is Obsidian. That was a huge get, even if we kind of saw it coming.

I think there's still some independents of that calibur around, I think most people would agree that Insomniac, Bungie, and Platinum are all at that level. I know this might be unpopular but I'd put IOI, 4A, Remedy and Quantic Dream at that same level. Relic I'd also put at that level but they're not independent.

Any of those would be as big as or bigger an upset than Ninja Theory, as for whether any of them are likely? Maybe IOI, Remedy or Relic, maybe.

On announcements that aren't studio acquisitions, X-Cloud pricing has the potential to be that kind of bomb. Some kind of big Nintendo partnership would also blow some dicks off. An original exclusive from Kojima studios.

Last edited:

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I wonder how expensive 4a would. I assume a purchase wouldn't include metro series. Which I would actually consider to be a good thing since I it should make them considerably cheaper.

Anyway here is my list of dream studios(good studios that are in the realm of possible)
4a
IO
Turtle rock
Larian

Not a very big list. There's obviously some really other great independents out there like insomniac but I don't think that has a chance of happening. I also don't want to include anyone who is owned by another publisher. Doing so would include every studio in the world as possible.

So that's my list if they can get 1 good studio like those and a couple smaller ones than I think they wouldn't need to get anyone else.

semeguze

Nov 15, 2018
Colombia
What do you think would be the best order to talk about this topics at the Xbox E3: next gen, current games/gen, Game Pass, new studios and xCloud?

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
What do you think would be the best order to talk about this topics at the Xbox E3: next gen, current games/gen, Game Pass, new studios and xCloud?
I was thinking about this as well. There's just so much to cover. I would probably open the show with Halo Infinite running on next-gen hardware to transition talking about the consoles. Then showoff Gears 5 immediately afterwards with someone playing new gameplay via xCloud or however they want to frame it. Game Pass will be sprinkled into each first-party announcement within its intro or outro I imagine and the studio acquisitions could slot in anywhere.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
As I feel licensed to do when this thread dies down, I will ask a random question that I care a lot about but nobody else does (which therey dooms all of these to obscurity). With the imminent release of Dreams, does anyone else miss the promise of Team Dakota's Project Spark? Just me?

I loved the scrappy ambition assigned to this small team to produce something amazing - which, I would say they managed to do. The scale and support of the game doomed it failure, and it never caught on. But, I still find the visual coding language immensely powerful and fun to use. Project Spark was never going to approach the polish or scale of Dreams, because Microsoft didn't truly support it (despite a fair amount of energy around its release).

Since then, Microsoft has changed a great deal. But, creative projects still haven't really caught fire. Paint 3D, MR stuff, Story Remix, etc. are all creativity focused initatives that haven't really panned out. So...

1) Would Project Spark have had a better chance in today's Microsoft 3 years later?
2) Should MS ever try something like that again?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As I feel licensed to do when this thread dies down, I will ask a random question that I care a lot about but nobody else does (which therey dooms all of these to obscurity). With the imminent release of Dreams, does anyone else miss the promise of Team Dakota's Project Spark? Just me?

I loved the scrappy ambition assigned to this small team to produce something amazing - which, I would say they managed to do. The scale and support of the game doomed it failure, and it never caught on. But, I still find the visual coding language immensely powerful and fun to use. Project Spark was never going to approach the polish or scale of Dreams, because Microsoft didn't truly support it (despite a fair amount of energy around its release).

Since then, Microsoft has changed a great deal. But, creative projects still haven't really caught fire. Paint 3D, MR stuff, Story Remix, etc. are all creativity focused initatives that haven't really panned out. So...

1) Would Project Spark have had a better chance in today's Microsoft 3 years later?
2) Should MS ever try something like that again?
With the increasing popularity of the Mario Maker series, I think Spark would do better now, if MS pushes loads of their current IP through it.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
With the increasing popularity of the Mario Maker series, I think Spark would do better now, if MS pushes loads of their current IP through it.
IDK. MS already has Minecraft. While its multiplatform, its one of the biggest games out there. I dont think they see a need to create a game like Mario Maker and Dreams.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I feel like MC takes Spark's place a bit for MS.

That said I realllly liked Project Spark. I loved the music, and I had a lot of fun making quite simple games. For me it was really exciting being able to code stuff when I simply don't know any programming language at all (beyond 'Hello world').

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
IDK. MS already has Minecraft. While its multiplatform, its one of the biggest games out there. I dont think they see a need to create a game like Mario Maker and Dreams.

Agreed. They've got the creative game stuff covered with Minecraft. It's one of the biggest games there is, and neither Mario Maker nor Dreams will ever sell even remotely in the same realm as Minecraft, for obvious reasons.

What I'd absolutely love to see happen for Xbox is a mascot kart racer, but incorporating elements of Modnation Racers. Make your own tracks, make decals and racing clubs, customize the characters, etc. and share it all online.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yea, I agree with you guys, and Microsoft is using Minecraft to teach kids about coding and AI and stuff in specialized applications.

But. It still feels different, doesn't it? Minecraft is creative and can be used to teach some coding concepts, but the base game is not really set up to experiment with rule creation. It doesn't even necessarily do what Roblox does, for example. So, perhaps if we think Minecraft is the decision... do we see a sort of Minecraft Mod Maker? A simplified and accessible toolset that allows anyone to assemble something different and greater than exists already. Simultaneously more powerful and also much more simplified? Mario Maker is still a very constrained toolset despite being very creative, and that's exactly why its successful.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Yeah, I feel like MC takes Spark's place a bit for MS.

That said I realllly liked Project Spark. I loved the music, and I had a lot of fun making quite simple games. For me it was really exciting being able to code stuff when I simply don't know any programming language at all (beyond 'Hello world').

project spark was so cool

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Yea, I agree with you guys, and Microsoft is using Minecraft to teach kids about coding and AI and stuff in specialized applications.

But. It still feels different, doesn't it? Minecraft is creative and can be used to teach some coding concepts, but the base game is not really set up to experiment with rule creation. It doesn't even necessarily do what Roblox does, for example. So, perhaps if we think Minecraft is the decision... do we see a sort of Minecraft Mod Maker? A simplified and accessible toolset that allows anyone to assemble something different and greater than exists already. Simultaneously more powerful and also much more simplified? Mario Maker is still a very constrained toolset despite being very creative, and that's exactly why its successful.
Eh, that might eat into their Minecraft Marketplace revenue.

One Night

Jun 6, 2018
They used to open their show with their big exclusive for that year. Halo 5 opened E3 2015, Gear 4 opened E3 2016 after the One S reveal and Forza 7 opened E3 2017 after the One X reveal too. Halo Infinite last year was a bit of an anomaly, so I expect Gears 5 to open this year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.