• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony releases about 2 of those types of games each year (on average) with most of their eggs in that basket. Those games take a lot of resources which is why anything not made by Kojima will follow a proven formula that has mainstream appeal. It's true that if that is the one deciding factor and you are choosing one platform, nothing Xbox is showing you will change your mind from PlayStation. I don't think the guys running Xbox are trying to change your mind. They're offering something different. Something additive. Something that can be easily accessed as a secondary platform if you prefer Sonys approach...which I don't. I find it refreshing to see this diverse number of medium sized games with creative flexibility to explore creatively.

"The Sony Game" is not soon and won't be as frequent. That's ok.
I still think MS will compete with Sony yearly on similar number Triple A single player experiences, but it's just going to take time until the studio teams get these type of games developed and in a steady pipeline of release.

Aug 26, 2019
Not a lot of new info from the Xbox On interview with Phil, but he thinks RPG is the genre that Xbox needs more of. Mentions Mass Effect, Jade Empire, Fable etc.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
The development of the sea of thieves began in mid-2014.

Everwild at least 2 years ago, all developers who work on the game say it's a taste, I think the game internally must be advanced enough, but it will take time.

I also think that storytelling in Everwild will have an important place.

Simon woodroffe is a writer

Kate Watson is a senior narrative designer

Chris alcock (Kameo writer, did some work on the game)

And he recruits a Lead World designer specializing in OW.

sounds good

Oct 25, 2017
KLOq5qs.jpg

USEDgmz.jpg

FLzTjKt.jpg

UkqRZUB.jpg

xaYfLRl.jpg

ziyZZWJ.jpg

MPQgGwG.jpg

teWCMcV.jpg

fX4nGlg.jpg

6NFtCa9.jpg
ppPLwxd.jpg

6LcPRAz.jpg

wwuCZhB.jpg

AcTrkXh.jpg

9FB8MR8.jpg

Xbox Game Studios - 2019

<3

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Not a lot of new info from the Xbox On interview with Phil, but he thinks RPG is the genre that Xbox needs more of. Mentions Mass Effect, Jade Empire, Fable etc.

Music to my ears!

Some people make it seem like now that some of these studios are under MS now that they'll make games nobody wants. I'm willing to bet that if Obsidian wants to make a RPG on a bigger scale than ToW, they can. And I hope that happens.

Let's not forget Playground, which could turn out very promising. But if there is to be a "Skyrim" like game in terms of scale, it's gonna be Obsidian I bet.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

PR guy for Gears Franchise is also PR for Obsidian and State of decay franchise.

AAA confirmed ?

And also

Working with this fabulous team to co-create world-class games with talented people who act like and are treated as adults, who deliver great work, and love creating games together. Life couldn't be better!
Full on AAA? Maybe, maybe not. With the way Matt Booty has talked about the State of Decay series, I expect SoD3 to be a significant step up from SoD2 though. And why wouldn't they keep investing in the series? It has done well for them thus far.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
For me I think :

343 industrie : Big AAAA made by +500 employees, +200M budget

The coalition : Big AAA made by +300 employees ( i hope another AAA team) +100M budget

The initiative : Big AAA made by +200 employees + 100M budget

Playground games : 2 Big AAA made by +200 employees, FH -> +50M budget, Action RPG +100M budget

Turn 10 : Big AAA made by 150 employees +50M budget

Rare LTD : 2 AAA made by +150 employees, +50M budget.

Undead Labs : 1 AAA made by +100/150 employees, +50M budget

Ninja Theory : 1 AAA made by 80-100 employees 40M budget + 2 AA made by 30 employees 10-20M budget

Obsidian : 2 AA++ made by 70-100 employees 40M budget + 1 support DLC team + Small team

Compulsion Games : AA+ made by 70-100 employees +20-30M budget

Inxile : 2 AA+ made by 50/70 employees 20-35M budget.

Double fine production : 1 AA+ (like brutal Legends) made by 50 employees, +20M budget, + 1 smaller games like RAD made by 20 people.

plus GP

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Still not sure about SOD3 wish they would do something new if i am honest.
If they do SOD 3 i hope its like Days Gone in terms of graphics etc and then with offcourse SoD gameplay. But i dont see them do that if i am honest.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Phil's quote about not being beaten out on price or performance...does anyone else get the sense that he isn't talking about one box doing both? They'll beat them in price with the lockhart, and beat them in power with the anaconda. To me, that reads as an admission that they either resurrected the lockhart idea, or that it was never actually killed off to begin with.

possibly?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Mechwarrior would be a cool Global Publishing partnership, games been baking for a while and seems to periodically drop off so it'd make sense if they were looking for external publishers, and XGP makes a lot of sense, since the IP belongs to Microsoft if I'm remembering right, so yeah, let's go.

I don't expect the game to be critically acclaimed or anything, but the world could use more big budget mech games. Maybe they'll whip it out at the Game Awards, or maybe someone is messing with us.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Kind of wanted to post this because it shows how much content we'll see next-gen:

XGS

1. 343 Interactive: Bonnie Ross (600~ 1 team with incubation teams)
  2. Rare LTD: Craig Duncan (250+ SoT team, 2 other teams)
  3. The Coalition: Rod Fergusson (350+ 1/2 AAA team with incubation teams)
  4. Turn 10 Studios: Alan Hartman (120 1 team)
  5. Mojang: Helen Chiang (70 2 Teams)
  6. Playground Games: Ralph Fulton (200 2 teams)
  7. Undead Labs: Jeff Strain: (85 1 team)
  8. Ninja Theory: Nina Kristensen/Tameem (140 5 teams)
  9. Compulsion Games: Guillaume Provost (50 1 team)
  10. The Initiative: Darrell Gallagher (37 1 team)
  11. InXile Entertainment: Brian Fargo (96 3 teams)
  12. Obsidian Entertainment: Feargus Urquhart (185 4 - 5 teams)
  13. World's Edge: Shannon Loftis (?)
  14. Double Fine: Tim Schaefer (70 4 teams)
  15. Global Publishing: Peter Wyse (?)
XGS has 30+ teams, and that's not counting incubation studios or Global Publishing (which we'll see a lot more from because they received a budget increase according to Matt Booty during IX X019).

Also, the whole AAA argument, don't worry about it. Several more studios like Compulsion and Obsidian are hiring for AAA games.There will be a lot of heavy outsourcing for these. XGS has 10+ AAA teams going by the job listings.

The question isn't quantity going forward because XGS will have the most games being released (especially with future acquisitions), the question is quality. As for quality, I certainly believe in each of these studios.

Edit: Studio numbers are staff counts, not developers.

epic

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Still not sure about SOD3 wish they would do something new if i am honest.
If they do SOD 3 i hope its like Days Gone in terms of graphics etc and then with offcourse SoD gameplay. But i dont see them do that if i am honest.

-Matt Booty want wants SOD3 to be an AAA that is top with high-end games.

120 people work on days gone

Undead labs had 65 employees, since the buyout they are 90, it recruits talents and have not finished growing.

They now have:

-1 Chief technology officer

-1 technical director

-1 Technical Art Director

-3 Principale technical artist

With the budget they have, they will be able to create technically / visually successful games.

They are clearly transformed into AAA

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Remember as well RE: dev counts, Outsourcing exists too. The Outer Worlds was outsourced partially and still turned out fucking superb.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
At e3 2018 Phil said gamepass had millions of subscribers. Zhuge said on Twitter the other day that gamepass has more than doubled its subs this year.
So end of 2018 -3millon plus subs
Would mean 6 million plus now.

This is assuming it was only at 3 million subs at the end of last year. I'm guessing they where higher considering how well forza horizon 4 was preforming.

Gamepass is gunna be huge going into next gen.

agree

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
I Still can't belive why there's no Fable Anniversary Windows 10 version !!!!

it has a steam but not windows 10

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
So those more tech savvy than myself, what would of been if the Xbox One X did have a Ryzen CPU instead of slightly higher clocked Jaguar?

Aug 26, 2019
Think about the next gears with ray traced lighted on higher fidelity!!
Believe it or not, Gears 5 had raytraced shadows:

The Coalition: Gears 5 is utilising a number of UE4's latest rendering features which gives us access to technology that has come online since Gears of War 4 such as temporal upscaling, volumetric fog, distance fields, compute ray traced shadows, and bent normals for specular occlusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.