• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Battletoads plays great on the show floor. Some of the animations are bonkers. It's just a small and fun-looking brawler. Not more, not less. I guess this game will be in a "love it or hate it" situation, which is fine.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
The game looks a lot of fun to me, and I'm pretty sure the impressions from people who played it at E3 were generally positive.

I really hope it's fun, because I'm a fan of the franchise and would like Microsoft to continue to dip into its war chest of underutilized IPs moving forward. I suppose we'll see once it hits GamePass!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the reveal was abit early for AoE4. But it will release at a good time imo. Dont think it releasing like last year would have been great.
It will release now into next gen with a fully committed Xbox to PC gaming. Thats good.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Battletoads plays great on the show floor. Some of the animations are bonkers. It's just a small and fun-looking brawler. Not more, not less. I guess this game will be in a "love it or hate it" situation, which is fine.

I mean, I have no problem eating crow if end up being wrong on it. Does it not feel slow when actually playing it? I feel like that is what is sticking out to me the most.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I mean, I have no problem eating crow if end up being wrong on it. Does it not feel slow when actually playing it? I feel like that is what is sticking out to me the most.
Funny enough, I only read about that on this forum. I didn't really notice anything wrong with the speed because you need to do combos and I can't imagine doing so at insane speeds. It felt good, don't know what else to add haha. The satisfaction in this game actually comes from "creating" and seeing great and fun animations by doing combos.

The criticism I had were the hitboxes "in the 3D room" (vertically). They need to be a bit larger.

Other than that the game played very well. It's just a small and fun game. No need to over-analyze stuff imo.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Wow, this YouTube thumbs up thumbs down ratio for Battletoads is terrible :/ Gears story trailer is faring very well though.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Ok no worries. I guess I should say - I dont think Gears/Halo/Forza should stop - and anyone who tries to deny me new Gears of War games is gonna need to fight me, its just that in the past and atm (albeit I can see its reducing already) they rely on those franchises to carry the line-up, Halo has had a big gap between mainline instalments, Gears is very 3 years and Forza has finally taken a year off.

I think they need big new AAA IPs to hold down the fort and to get sequels and carry the line up whilst those franchises get the chance to look at themselves and take more time if needed and that also Rare's back catalogue is a huge missed opportunity, you don't want to just throw them at any developer who sends you a pitch but MS and/or Rare should be actively looking to push those IPs and get someone doing things with them if Rare don't want to do it themselves.

Theres so many possibilities, if they dont want brand new games for whatever reason then those Crash and Spyro remakes would be a good place to look for a start...

I definitely agree with the need a few big new IP thing, I'd love to see a world where every major Xbox franchise was able to get at least 3 years per entry, and more IPs to rotate through helps that for sure.

I don't think Rare will be returning to their backlog anytime soon, they've talked about it before how if they were to make a new Conker it'd be very different and fans probably wouldn't like it. It'd be cool for Microsoft to establish a team within or next to Rare that oversaw licensing their IP to other devs, like Square Enix Collective or even like a tiny all Rare version of Global Publishing. Make sure the devs are treating the IP in a certain way but still giving them control.

I actively do not want to see a bunch of remakes or remasters though, between Rare Replay and Backwards Compatibility I think that's covered.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I mean the reveal was abit early for AoE4. But it will release at a good time imo. Dont think it releasing like last year would have been great.
It will release now into next gen with a fully committed Xbox to PC gaming. Thats good.
If MS's plan at the time was to release Definitive Editions of the first 3 games before dropping a new one, they kinda had to announce AOE IV early to nip that obvious question in the bud. Still, a sprinkle of news here and there about the game would be appreciated.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
If AOE4 is a success, anyone up for a Relic developed RTS in the Gears of War universe? I feel like their COH + Dawn of War 2 engine is already tailored made for Gears mechanics.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
In my catch-up for Gears 5 launch, I will be jumping into Gears of War 3 for the very first time right NOW. I enjoyed Gears of War: Ultimate and even more so Gears 2 a lot :)

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
So ninja theory has 4 teams?

Or maybe Tameem is Chief creative director and Benoit maçon/Stephen stanyon Co-Game director ?
Ninja Theory has five teams we know about (possibly six). My money is on in (if they don't just wait for next year) being the Stanyon project. It's likely a more traditional third-person action-adventure game. It looks like Andrew Vidler is also possibly the Technical Director. The game has likely been in development off and on since July of 2015.

The Hellblade team is probably getting closer (although they obviously haven't had as much time as the Stanyon team), but I think Microsoft will announce games with smaller teams closer to launch to avoid having to show them over and over due to setbacks. It's just a guess, of course, but I think the Stanyon game is in the first year of Scarlett and the Hellblade team's new game is in the second year.

Oct 26, 2018
Question, would DMC 5 be considered AA+? high production value but at 10 hr story with replayability. What if rahni Tucker's team and capcom decide to let DmC exclusive to Xbox/pc? ( instead of dead rising) plus ofc gamepass day one. I feel like that would fit the model ms is going for... AA/AAA range

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Question, would DMC 5 be considered AA+? high production value but at 10 hr story with replayability. What if rahni Tucker's team and capcom decide to let DmC exclusive to Xbox/pc? ( instead of dead rising) plus ofc gamepass day one. I feel like that would fit the model ms is going for... AA/AAA range

Does length factor in to A-ness? I'd have said DMC V was AAA, but I'm not really sure anymore

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
If AOE4 is a success, anyone up for a Relic developed RTS in the Gears of War universe? I feel like their COH + Dawn of War 2 engine is already tailored made for Gears mechanics.

10000% this. Get me Pendulum Wars, get me COG vs Locust, COG vs Swarm, im ready.

I think Gears Tactics is close enough already ;)

Xcom Gears and RTS Gears would be too very beasts, I see no reason why they couldnt co-exist or do both in good time, I think it would be a shame if they limited themselves for that reason, it would definitely work and could be really cool.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018

This is a great read. I understand where he's coming from saying that he thinks Kait will stay loyal to the COG, but Kait betraying the COG would be about a thousand times more interesting to me. You playing as her and being forced to betray the COG, then playing as JD or Del seeking revenge (or possibly to redeem Kait) in Gears 6 would be awesome.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know. Feels maybe to much Halo Cortana.
I would love to see the third game Del as main. That would be quite cool over 3 games.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
He directed Final Fantasy Type-0 and The 3rd Birthday as well, if you're into those.
He seems to really like portable/mobile games.

I mean, he also directed FFXV, which, sure, had some issues, but there's plenty of good stuff in there too.

I'd like to see what he could do when he's not tied to someone else's project that's been in various states of development for a decade.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
10000% this. Get me Pendulum Wars, get me COG vs Locust, COG vs Swarm, im ready.

The squads, heavy weapon teams, and vehicles in COH/DOW all have equivalents in the Gears universe for COG, Swarm, Locust and DBs.

As I mentioned before, the cover mechanics in the COH/DOW2 engine are already deep enough for Gears.

You have a plethora of characters in Gears that can be "commanders" / "heroes". There is also plenty in the lore that can be translated into commander abilities / perks, such as Hammer of Dawn strikes, COG resonator, Immulsion bomb, nerve gas attack, sink holes, Kyrl attack, Corpser attack, Maelstrom device, Imulsion countermeasure weapon.

Gears just has the hunker down behind covers and dark atmosphere that would work so well in the COH engine.

Last edited:

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I dont know. Feels maybe to much Halo Cortana.
I would love to see the third game Del as main. That would be quite cool over 3 games.
I understand what you're saying, for sure, but I don't think the Halo 5 story did it particularly well.

Gears 5 ending with Kait betraying the COG and you personally killing Marcus (playing as Kait, after he threatened her as it became clear she was turning) would be incredible. They could follow it up in Gears 6 with JD and Del going after Kait. JD could want to avenge his father and kill her and Del could want to give her a chance at redemption (and with her being the new queen, use her power to finally put an end to the war).

They could eventually find her and Del could seemingly change her mind before she turns on them, killing JD (for wanting to kill her) and exiling Del. Gears could then take a long hiatus (end of the trilogy and give the franchise some room to breath), before coming back in a future where the Locust have ruled for a long time, enslaved the COG, and are stripping the planet of resources. Kait is the queen and a younger, stronger new villain could serve directly under her. A group of younger, new characters living out in exile could attempt to seek out Del and use his knowledge to try to take on the locusts and set up a new trilogy. They could start the trailer for the new trilogy without you even realizing it was Gears with new characters living in exile.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
X019 should also have Halo Infinite Multiplayer, no?
They said they planned to start flighting tests this year.

EDIT: NVM, looks like we'll get nothing until E3 2020 as per Chris Lee.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
X019 should also have Halo Infinite Multiplayer, no?
They said they planned to start flighting tests this year.

EDIT: NVM, looks like we'll get nothing until E3 2020 as per Chris Lee.
Where are you seeing him say that. 343 community guy just said we would see infinite this year and implied the flighting would start this year too.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I understand what you're saying, for sure, but I don't think the Halo 5 story did it particularly well.

Gears 5 ending with Kait betraying the COG and you personally killing Marcus (playing as Kait, after he threatened her as it became clear she was turning) would be incredible. They could follow it up in Gears 6 with JD and Del going after Kait. JD could want to avenge his father and kill her and Del could want to give her a chance at redemption (and with her being the new queen, use her power to finally put an end to the war).

They could eventually find her and Del could seemingly change her mind before she turns on them, killing JD (for wanting to kill her) and exiling Del. Gears could then take a long hiatus (end of the trilogy and give the franchise some room to breath), before coming back in a future where the Locust have ruled for a long time, enslaved the COG, and are stripping the planet of resources. Kait is the queen and a younger, stronger new villain could serve directly under her. A group of younger, new characters living out in exile could attempt to seek out Del and use his knowledge to try to take on the locusts and set up a new trilogy. They could start the trailer for the new trilogy without you even realizing it was Gears with new characters living in exile.
Oh god, I hope this thread doesn't devolve into fan fiction.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
This is a great read. I understand where he's coming from saying that he thinks Kait will stay loyal to the COG, but Kait betraying the COG would be about a thousand times more interesting to me. You playing as her and being forced to betray the COG, then playing as JD or Del seeking revenge (or possibly to redeem Kait) in Gears 6 would be awesome.

That it literally Kerrigan's arc in the original Starcraft xD

Status
Not open for further replies.