Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm not judging anyone here in particular, and I get the sense of the board's leanings, but honestly, some of y'all can do without taking it personally when MS catch shit - deserved or otherwise.

Just take a breath and keep your perspective where it should be: on the positive and healthy things you can control, like your excitement for the games and platform and the industry as a whole. Don't get dragged down by the negativity around it, you will never win that battle.
Big facts.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
You know, for something you all shouldn't be stressed over in any manner, you all still sound really stressed by it.

Relax.

Enjoy some Minecraft Dungeons gameplay.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The Internet forgot about the PS5 logo reveal and the Cerny SSD talk very quickly. It also forgot that the DualSense was relatively polarizing. They'll forget about Xbox's fuck-up, and it is a fuck-up, just as fast.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
The Internet forgot about the PS5 logo reveal and the Cerny SSD talk very quickly. It also forgot that the DualSense was relatively polarizing. They'll forget about Xbox's fuck-up, and it is a fuck-up, just as fast.
Yea, nothing Xbox has done has been as bad as that Cerny talk, they'll be fine. By the end of July we'll all be hyped to the max.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Dont you find it odd, that this isnt really scrutinised to the same degree AC was for instance. Was it because the visuals stunned people into silence?

But yeah, we're in for a treat with Coalition, Playground Games, NT and Rare all presumably using this for their next-gen games. I dont think many come close to these guys when it comes to showing off UE.

agree

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
www.resetera.com

Is there a need for Xbox in the gaming industry?

When you think about every console and developers role in the industry, I tend to think of Nintendo in there own lane with there massive IPs and then Xbox/PlayStation fight in a similar land, sharing many massive titles and going for big tech and the ultimate quality console gaming experience...
Jesus, what logic did someone have to go through to think "Yeah this is a quality thread topic right here." Lol

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I think the big question is why did Epic partner with Sony for the UE5 demo? I thought MS and Epic had a deal going on with how much they use their engine and the Gears roots
Epic and MS partner on a whole lot of stuff, Epic partnering with Sony on UE5 doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I bet we will see UE5 XSX demos down the line as well, also XGS teams will keep working with UE5 and sharing tech as they've always done to improve the engine.. IMO Epic needs this relationship with Sony in order to get more PS4 and PS5 games on their PC store and working with UE makes that a lot easier but when it comes to PC stores MS has already chosen to work with Valve for the foreseeable future, things could change later on but for now it's business as usual it's just the way it is.

Oct 27, 2017

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna know which console all the big 3rd party titles are going to look best on. I haven't paid super close attention so far. That'll determine which I buy first.

Is there a definitive answer to that yet? Will Sony's super magical SSD completely erase the GPU + CPU advantages Xbox has?

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Dayum at that UE5 tech demo, talk about impressive. Going back and watching the UE4 demo - it's almost comical how big of a leap it is in fidelity.

Awww that console warrior thread got locked before I could post in it

Oh don't worry, you'll still have your chance. As more and more PS5 news and footage is revealed over the next two months we'll be getting Xbox concern-troll posts and threads right up to the last minute before the XGS showcase in July.

So, y'know, strap in. It's gonna get worse before it gets better. Era mods are gonna be getting a helluva workout as we get closer to the release of both consoles.

You know, for something you all shouldn't be stressed over in any manner, you all still sound really stressed by it.

Relax.

Enjoy some Minecraft Dungeons gameplay.

To add, here's some awesome Halo 2 PC multiplayer footage:

Oct 25, 2017
Both console manufacturers have had marketing flubs, this week and last week go to Sony, but all this will be forgotten when Sony "messes" up again and vice versa. It's just a cycle they go through every dang console launch.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
What? Literally prior to last Thursday, Xbox were getting all sorts of compliments for how they had been rolling things out thus far, and everyone was wondering what was going on with Sony.

One Inside Xbox and a UE5 demonstration later, and they need to clean out the marketing department? LOL.

I love this forum.
There is a serious case of "what have you done for me lately!" On this forum.

Edit: I think since Xbox has the most to make up for next gen its beat they don't go first. Let Sony have June then come big in July. That's a LOT of pressure on the July showing. Phil needs to be the one to deliver it though.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Sony ate MS' lunch today and didnt have to show a single game to do it.

What's even funnier is that they don't even use UE much at all in their first party output.

It's incredibly savvy marketing and it just goes to show how Sony understands the art of communication in ways that the team behind Xbox never have.

Rukari said it perfectly, though I'll paraphrase: understand your product, understand what you're showing, understand the audience you're showing it to, and treat people like adults where appropriate - and when it's with the hardcore segment of your audience, that means all the time.
Yup Xbox Marketing is a mess and they really need a new blood

I think the big question is why did Epic partner with Sony for the UE5 demo? I thought MS and Epic had a deal going on with how much they use their engine and the Gears roots
iirc They did the same with PS3&4

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Yea, nothing Xbox has done has been as bad as that Cerny talk, they'll be fine. By the end of July we'll all be hyped to the max.
Well, Xbox is fighting a battle that's significantly steeper uphill than PlayStation's. As "bad" as the Cerny talk was (and I put "bad" in quotes because it was actually very good for what it was, just like the Series X third party showcase it was a case of terrible timing), public perception of the Xbox brand is going to magnify Xbox mistakes.

That said, I still agree with you on the whole. By the end of July nobody is going to remember this month's Series X showcase, and nobody is going to remember that "Sony won" today (as ridiculous as the notion is considering UE5 is a multiplatform engine that will look and run best on gaming PCs by a considerable margin).

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I just wanna know which console all the big 3rd party titles are going to look best on. I haven't paid super close attention so far. That'll determine which I buy first.

Is there a definitive answer to that yet? Will Sony's super magical SSD completely erase the GPU + CPU advantages Xbox has?
XSX has the advantage CPU and GPU wise so I think it will be better just like how One X is the best right now.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
You guys need to relax and stop treating this like a competition. It makes even this thread hard to read at times. People acting like we're watching a chess match. Relaaaax

Shawt21

Banned
Apr 26, 2020
I think the funny thing re: narrative, is imagine what people would have said today if Xbox hadn't marketed "Gameplay" last week and just showed the games? Oh right: NOTHING DIFFERENT - PS5 is great and Xbox has no gameplay!.

Imagine what the narrative would be if Xbox hadn't shown games last week? PS5 is great and Xbox has no games!

Imagine what the narrative would be if Xbox had shown this demo instead? PS5 is great and Xbox has no games OR gameplay, it's all trailers and tech demos!

lol. Overcoming narrative is extremely difficult, and confirmation bias flares its head here. And that's on Xbox. They need to get everything right, because no one is giving them brownie points for just trying.
You're absolutely right, it's all about narrative, but if we point out the bias, we have a "victim complex".

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox took an L today.

The bright side of that is that there's fair argument they deserved it.

I say good.

Better MS get a few painful reminders now than later.

That's not to say today would necessarily qualify as "painful" for MS, only that they clearly have some kinks to iron out and I consider it a good thing for them to receive blowback now, while they have plenty of time to adjust their approach, rather than when it's too late, like at the very start of last gen.

I'm not judging anyone here in particular, and I get the sense of the board's leanings, but honestly, some of y'all can do without taking it personally when MS catch shit - deserved or otherwise.

Just take a breath and keep your perspective where it should be: on the positive and healthy things you can control, like your excitement for the games and platform and the industry as a whole. Don't get dragged down by the negativity around it, you will never win that battle.

Wouldn't say an L for their messaging, and everything we saw today can theoretically be done, if not better on XSX, but definitely need to take an L for the Inside Xbox as XBX coming out party. I think someone put it best, felt like a morning TV show, why do you need 3 presenters to interview people, why do you need to keep transitioning from 1 host to another speaking about the same topic, its all unnecessary noise. You just need a fantastic looking game, and the chatter on the ground will do the rest. A picture is worth a thousands words, and for next gen, its on PS5, MS let that happen. Im sure Xbox will have its moment in July, but after IX there's a slither of doubt from me whenever Aaron starts to own the conversation, i get nervous when he's around.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland

Well, probably Xbox, but it's best to wait for actual comparisons by Digital Foundry if that is your main criteria. Though I think they will be really close this time.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Well, Xbox is fighting a battle that's significantly steeper uphill than PlayStation's. As "bad" as the Cerny talk was (and I put "bad" in quotes because it was actually very good for what it was, just like the Series X third party showcase it was a case of terrible timing), public perception of the Xbox brand is going to magnify Xbox mistakes.

That said, I still agree with you on the whole. By the end of July nobody is going to remember this month's Series X showcase, and nobody is going to remember that "Sony won" today (as ridiculous as the notion is considering UE5 is a multiplatform engine that will look and run best on gaming PCs by a considerable margin).
I'm sure the content of the Cerny talk was very interesting to certain people, but that was a marketing disaster. People were expecting the PS5 reveal, but they got a GDC talk, and on top of that they just casually dropped the specs that were worse than Series X.

Both companies definitely learned a lesson about setting expectations.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

no :)

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Shawt21

Banned
Apr 26, 2020
Xbox took an L today.

The bright side of that is that there's fair argument they deserved it.

I say good.

Better MS get a few painful reminders now than later.

That's not to say today would necessarily qualify as "painful" for MS, only that they clearly have some kinks to iron out and I consider it a good thing for them to receive blowback now, while they have plenty of time to adjust their approach, rather than when it's too late, like at the very start of last gen.

Dude, it's video games...it's not that serious lmao

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm sure the content of the Cerny talk was very interesting to certain people, but that was a marketing disaster. People were expecting the PS5 reveal, but they got a GDC talk, and on top of that they just casually dropped the specs that were worse than Series X.

Both companies definitely learned a lesson about setting expectations.

What? No-one sensible remotely expected the PS5 reveal. Don't attempt to re-write history here.

It was their GDC talk and it got announced as a technical deep dive. That's what we got.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017

Absolutely not, but I also don't think the Xbox advantages will amount to much in third party games. They'll probably amount to a bit more than PS5 advantages though, as third party games will by necessity target the Xbox SSD spec. But still, a minor difference when all is said and done.

If you like Xbox, just play on Xbox. Ditto if you like PS.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Epic and MS partner on a whole lot of stuff, Epic partnering with Sony on UE5 doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I bet we will see UE5 XSX demos down the line as well, also XGS teams will keep working with UE5 and sharing tech as they've always done to improve the engine.. IMO Epic needs this relationship with Sony in order to get more PS4 and PS5 games on their PC store and working with UE makes that a lot easier but when it comes to PC stores MS has already chosen to work with Valve for the foreseeable future, things could change later on but for now it's business as usual it's just the way it is.

Yeah could be a number of things that were put in place for a while now. I just thought MS would try to have a showing like we saw today and they have been very active when it comes to talking about next gen so Epic would have chose them. Sony is focusing on their upcoming PS4 games, not even paying attention to what was show on PS5 today.

But yeah it could just be part of an arrangement they made years back

TornRaptor

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Australia
What? No-one sensible remotely expected the PS5 reveal. Don't attempt to re-write history here.

It was their GDC talk and it got announced as a technical deep dive. That's what we got.
Xbox had a tech reveal already and Sony took notice, so I don't agree that Sony gave us a technical review. What we got was a dance around avoiding talking about things that look less favourable to there platform and a whole lot about SSD;s and scanning ears.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I am curious if we will see Xbox's third party partnerships over the next two months. Like footage from Cyberpunk, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion and any other games they get the marketing rights for explicitly shown running on Series X hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.